Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Luke had a pretty good amount of time to train with Yoda.
The Falcon’s hyperdrive, later retconed to primary hyperdrive, was busted so they couldn’t get from Hoth to Bespin quickly.

If the two planets were in the same planetary system and the Falcon had to make it on sublight speed, even assuming they could reach .5 c, it would be weeks if not months of travel.

And using the retcon of a slower, less effective backup hyperdrive it would take longer to jump from Hoth to Bespin than with the main drive.

Either way, Luke spent far linger training with Yoda than “a couple hours”.
Um, no, light takes about 5.5 to get from the sun to Pluto. Going at half light speed they can get from one side of a planetary system to another in a matter of days, not months. Though, I thought in the film the probably was more of limited range than speed.
I didn't get the impression that Han and Leia spent more than a few hours on the Falcon together at that time. I tell myself it might be like Interstellar, the part where an hour on the planet is like 10 years for the rest of the Universe but in reverse. So Luke on that planet for everyone else felt like a day, but for him ten years or so. Course, were that the case, he would be loathe to ever visit Yoda there again.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Watched Season 1 of Dominion

Rating 4/5

You remember the film Legion right? The edgy one with the Angels trying to wipe out humanity? No? Don't worry this series doesn't really remember it either so changes a fair few points to make it work better.

Premise:

25 years ago God left heaven. The Angels blamed humanity believing God was so disappointed in his creation he'd chosen to leave to go elsewhere rather than watch Humanity carry on as it was. The archangel Gabriel decided the solution was to genocide humanity as god had done before with the great flood with many of the lower ranks of angels joining him. While only higher angels could take form on earth the lower angels were able to possess human hosts and vastly enhance their host natural physicality endurance. The archangel Michael chose to stand against Gabriel believing humanity was worth saving. During the initial war between humanity and angels Michael helped deliver a child who it is said would inherit and be able to read Gods last message to his creations before vanishing and it's prophesied will determine the fate of humanity.

Now: Gabriel is amassing a new army to wipe out the scattered remains of humanity in scattered settlements with wastelands between inhabited only by possessed humans ready to kill any non possessed human on site and a few human survivors who haven't joined any of the major settlements. Who is the chosen one and will they be able to read God last message and lead humanity to salvation?

Thoughts: It's Game of Thrones political machinations with the Walking Dead esc threat of hordes of possessed humans mostly focussing on New Vega which is very much not a democracy and run by a lord of the city and his councillors with a strict numbered social order in place. It's a really cool if somewhat edgy (which I like) show that asks how people would react having learned angels are reel and most of them want humanity dead.

Gabirel being a great slimy almost pantomime villain you love to hate because he oozes evil and in the face of God just going missing he's so clearly chosen the evil path in how he's chosen to react to it.

It's hard to say much more without spoiling some of the twists but it's late 90's Early 2000s level edgy nihilism stuff in a SYFY series from 2014 where archangels have orgies.

Reactions: gorfias

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I didn't get the impression that Han and Leia spent more than a few hours on the Falcon together at that time. I tell myself it might be like Interstellar, the part where an hour on the planet is like 10 years for the rest of the Universe but in reverse. So Luke on that planet for everyone else felt like a day, but for him ten years or so. Course, were that the case, he would be loathe to ever visit Yoda there again.
They were on the Falcon long enough for the Empire to figure out where they were going, get to Bespin, take control of Cloud City and lay a trap for Luke and the others.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragon House

Bloodiest episode yet even if nobody dies. Last episode was a bit of a dry heave as it basically had to reintroduce every character after the 10 year time skip - and then clear the table for this episode, in which the cast is neatly split into two opposing forces.

Can't believe the king's still alive. Feels like every episode he gets a scene where he's about to die.

Can't quite believe he'd take Otto back either. Would've liked to see that scene.

Graham McTavish still isn't given anything to do.

David Tennant's kid may be a nepobaby but damn he's also a natural.

I wish Rhaenerys would've stopped calling Daemon 'uncle' once they started fucking.

Alicent is a right *****.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm now going with the opinion that House of the Dragon is actually a pretty bad show, but it's mildly entertaining enough to be part of my weekly viewing.

(spoilers for more recent episode)

First of all, I hate hate hate that they're full in on romanticizing incest. They portrayed the lead chick banding her uncle as a "normal" full-on sex scene and you know what- no, no, no.
But more important, the plotting and pacing is literally the opposite bad of Rings of Power, where here too much actually happens. Rhaenyra now has two sad most-violence weddings? Come on.
I think the combination of trying to storm through large amounts of plots while limiting the scope to a small group of royals makes the show tedious. So much happens that nothing happens.
But it's fun to watch with this cast and visuals at least. I think if I wasn't watching one episode a week I would definitely have quit though.

One good thing this last episode did is give me someone to root for- the kid that stole the dragon and lost his eye. Yes of course he is primed to be a psychopath, with a chip on his shoulder and mean streak, but at least he has real balls and something to work toward.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Blown Away: Neato / Great

Glass blowers compete for $60,000 and a residency at a prestigious art school. 10 contestants partake in as many challenges, each with a theme, strict rules and expectations, and worst in class each time is eliminated.

I don't know what it is, but I eat these types of shows up. It's really cool to see people push themselves and create some really incredible stuff. What I do hate though is when the judge nitpicks and finds niggling details to scrutinize; I'm all "fuck you! it ain't perfect, but it's still fucking awesome!"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
First of all, I hate hate hate that they're full in on romanticizing incest. They portrayed the lead chick banding her uncle as a "normal" full-on sex scene and you know what- no, no, no.
Fun fact, a friend of mine is registered to perform secular weddings here in Australia and one thing he loves to whip out at parties is the pamphlet detailing the legality of what is known as an Avunculate Marriage. That is, a marriage between either a nephew and an aunt or a niece and an uncle. Presumably the definition also extends to same sex couplings. So yeah, uh, that kind of relationship is neither uncommon nor prohibited under law.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Five Days at Memorial on Apple + Episode 1&2 4/5

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Knowing that a story is based upon something real adds something for me. I'm just amazed at how dangerous life can be and how brave and self sacrificial people can be. How hard choices have to be made at times.

This is based upon real events regarding hurricane Katrina. A hospital dealing with survival in one of the worst storms of the century. Timely given what just happened in Florida.

I'm confused. Not finding this on SciFi (just created a new account to try to see this!) then went to youtube TV. Closest I got is...
1665016217361.png

I'm thinking this is the wrong show...

EDIT: IMDB says try on 1665016317922.png

2nd Edit: tried Freevee brought me to Amazon Prime. It is there. Checking the show out now, thanks for the referral!

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Man people are gonna be soooo fucking pissed about the latest She-hulk episode. I more or less enjoyed it though.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Man people are gonna be soooo fucking pissed about the latest She-hulk episode. I more or less enjoyed it though.
Is that the one with Daredevil and She-hulk on the top of a parking garage? I watched part of a video of that ‘fight’ on Youtube but turned it off as soon as Daredevil, in an ugly as fuck suit, made a Spider-Man/MCU-style quippy joke.
From my little experience with the character, Daredevil is not one to make jokes like that.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Is that the one with Daredevil and She-hulk on the top of a parking garage? I watched part of a video of that ‘fight’ on Youtube but turned it off as soon as Daredevil, in an ugly as fuck suit, made a Spider-Man/MCU-style quippy joke.
From my little experience with the character, Daredevil is not one to make jokes like that.
Eh it really depends on the writers. Frank Miller's Daredevil is an over-the-top edge lord, but that's Frank Miller. But modern Daredevil has gotten lighter and he is more quippy and snarky.

As for my opinion on the episode, its fine. I think She Hulk and Daredevil are cute together and they sold me on their chemistry well enough.
But She-Hulk still suffers from the same problem its been suffering from the beginning. It hates women. Like in this one Jen is shown to be a horrible lawyer who never did even the barest hint of work with their client before going straight to a hearing and losing in 30 seconds.
And Jen instantly falling for Daredevil because he's handsome and its like damn girl, is there anyone you won't sleep with?! But then! They literally bring that up, slut shaming her in front of her parents and coworkers. And its treated as an actual insult. Like someone illegally recorded her having sex and then stole her nudes off her phone, and she is treated like the bad guy. She's as fault for the immortal sin of...having a sex life. And it works. The crowd turns on her, her parents are mortified their mid-30s single daughter isn't a virgin. And she has these really Japanese idol like fans who think she somehow betrayed them by not sleeping with them and sleeping with someone not them.
and then as these incels attempt to flee, guess who the police point guns at? Her! She-hulk! The literal hysterical woman who was just slut-shamed in front of her parents, because bitches be crazy right?
And lets not forget the big gala, what they've been building up to all this season was a completely patronizing "women in the workplace" event where every woman invited won and they're all paraded on stage to give a beauty contest answer to what it means to be a woman.

Its really staggering how much the show hates their target audience, young professional women.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
She-hulk Episode 1x8

She-hulk continues to deliver solid entertainment to the point that its breaching into my favorite Marvel show. I think a lot if it is that it sets expectations low and then delivers these bite sized cookie episodes that never leave me ruminating on whether or not I was entertained for the full hour (looking at you Amazon). Its that instant noodle gratification of a couple laughs, some entertaining fights here and there then were out before a single yawn climbs up my throat. I like Jen. I like the lawyer stuff. I like the show. Theres something charming about the lack of ambition. Im not asking myself "where is this going". I don't care. I think the writing is cute and funny /fin

So this is the big reveal episode. Its difficult to dance around spoilers, but this is the one youve been waiting for since before disney took over and man does it deliver. The dialog is honestly better than the original show and its nice to see DD having fun here and genuinely being comfortable in his own skin. He seems so excited to be here. The original series really went deep on him being depressing where as his whole deal in the comics is that hes kind of a fun maniac which we get to see here. Thank you Disney for once you actually righted a wrong here, now give me a whole series. In regard to the pairing, Id ship it. Good for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebobmaster

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
" Its really staggering how much the show hates their target audience, young professional women. "

Is that the target audience, or is just "people who already watch Marvel stuff?" Which, I know, is a big cross-over anyway, because these days like everyone watches Marvel stuff? But also, you know, the stereotypical comic book crowd.

I haven't seen the ep yet but now I will prioritize it in my viewing because it looks juicy.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Cowboy Bebop (Netflix) (4/5)

Once again, I'm in the camp of "I like something that everyone else seems not to." Then, what else is new?

Anyway, similar to the RE adaptation, I'm going to address this work as both an adaptation and its own thing. So on that note:

ADAPTATION

I'm assuming most of you already know at least the generalities of the anime, so rest assured, the Netflix version does cover the basics - Earth is screwed, Sol system's been colonized, bounty hunters go after criminals, Spike and Jet man the Bebop, are joined by Faye and Ein (no Ed in this series bar the end), Spike's got a murky past with a criminal syndicate, etc. However, the series does differ from the anime in some key areas. While the anime relies a lot on mood/tone, the Netflix version is more conventional. As in, often, the anime would have long periods of scene-setting with little happening, bar the music. The Netflix version doesn't lack mood/ambience per se, but often, it's dialogue carrying the show rather than ambience.

This also trickles down to the characters. In the anime, there was the sense that Spike was literally drifting through life - barely talks, seems half-drunk most of the time, doesn't really care about much, etc. Characters like Jet and Faye, while not to the same extent, also had that kind of essence, which I'd argue fit in with the anime's nihilistic themes. The live-action characters are far more pro-active - Jet's constantly worrying about his daughter, Spike's good-humoured a lot of the time, Faye is aggressive and foul-mouthed, etc. This is a criticism I can get, that the Netflix characters are more 'conventional' than their anime counterparts. This doesn't really bother me too much, as I don't think anything in the show betrays the core essence of the trio (Faye's still amnisiac, Jet's still an ex-cop, Spike's still pining for Julia, etc.), but how their dramas come to the surface is different.

What's much more different however is some of the side characters. I don't remember the anime in great detail, but Vicious here...well, on one hand, I don't recall anime!Vicious having any real character, but here, Vicious is a ***** half the time. Someone who's on the edge, who's hyper-lethal, but incompetent at any actual authority, and easily slighted. I don't know if Vicious had any fans from the anime, but suffice to say, these are two very different takes. Also, Julia. Similarly, I don't remember Julia having any real presence at all, whereas here, she's a constant presence, pursuing her own agenda in the Syndicate. Since these characters were almost non-entities in the anime, i can't really fault the series from diverging per se, but it's heavy divergence nonetheless.''

So, yeah. At its core, this is a faithful adaptation, but there's significant deviations made from the anime that I could see bugging some people.

AS ITS OWN THING

I absolutely loved this.

Not perfect, but honestly, I'd put this on a similar level as Firefly. In a word, the show is "fun." Each episode stands out while an overall plot keeps moving forward, there were plenty of times when I laughed out loud, the characters are great (mostly), and, yeah. Show's all around fun. per what I said above, this might actually be one of the more significant deviations from the original, in that the original isn't really a "fun" piece of work (it's laced with melencholia, nihilism, etc.), while the Netflix series is. But again, treating it as its own thing, it's a bunch of fun and a solid space western. Also, the setting is bonkers, and a lot of the people in it are bonkers. This includes the main three.

That said, I'm actually going to give it some grief - this might be able to be applied to the original, but I can't really recall, but regardless, the thing about the Netflix series is that when you think about it, the worldbuilding doesn't really make sense.

So, very little is actually spelt out, and you need to pick things up as you go along, but basically, the solar system is connected via astral gates that allow FTL travel between planets and moons, which is good, because Earth is destroyed because its moon is destroyed, per an accident with its astral gate. Okay, fair enough. What doesn't really make sense is that the level of technology in the series is eratic - it's very much "high technology, low living," only the technology seen on many worlds is antiquated even by our standards (old 20th century cars, terribly designed mobiles, VHS players, etc.). You can make a claim that it's emphasizing that life kind of sucks for your average person in this setting, but it's a technological regression that doesn't really make sense. In something like Firefly, the difference between the Inner and Outer Planets makes sense both thematically and astro-geographically, but here, there's not really anything that distinguishes life on Mars from, say, life on Venus, or any gas giant moon. Also, for a series that takes place in 2171, the level of terraforming is insane.

But anyway, yeah. Loved this series. Absolutely sucks that there's no continuation - I guess the Netflix series can be added to the list of one-hit wonders. Maybe there'll be a continuation in some form, but I doubt it. But until then?

See you, space cowboy...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So, lots of reasons to hate on She-Hulk. Theoretically. I'm liking it.

Then, S1E8 drops and it has Daredevil in it.

Not gonna lie. I not only loved it but watched it 3 times so far.

Not dark like Netflix Daredevil, but he works in this continuity just fine. A-

Spoilers:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well since we're not hiding that Daredevil is in this episode, may as well give my thoughts. I really enjoyed this version. I expect that thousands of nerds will be up in arms over how he's been MCU-ified, but man, we had three pretty great seasons of dark Daredevil on Netflix. I watched the finale of season 3 the other week, and I thought it was a perfectly fine place to leave the series.

So to have a Daredevil who can actually parkour and have silly batons that don't obey physics is great. The CGI isn't perfect, but I thought they had a nice blend of clearly impossible acrobatics and Charlie Cox just beating the shit out of some randos. As others have said, he obviously really loves the role and is excited to be back in it. Perhaps the only thing I am concerned about is his Matt Murdock. His little verbal tussle with Jen in the courtroom was fun, but even with no legal experience whatsoever I found the whole setup pretty dumb. And if this is the level of courtroom drama we can expect from his own show, I think that will be a huge problem.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well since we're not hiding that Daredevil is in this episode, may as well give my thoughts. I really enjoyed this version. I expect that thousands of nerds will be up in arms over how he's been MCU-ified, but man, we had three pretty great seasons of dark Daredevil on Netflix. I watched the finale of season 3 the other week, and I thought it was a perfectly fine place to leave the series.

So to have a Daredevil who can actually parkour and have silly batons that don't obey physics is great. The CGI isn't perfect, but I thought they had a nice blend of clearly impossible acrobatics and Charlie Cox just beating the shit out of some randos. As others have said, he obviously really loves the role and is excited to be back in it. Perhaps the only thing I am concerned about is his Matt Murdock. His little verbal tussle with Jen in the courtroom was fun, but even with no legal experience whatsoever I found the whole setup pretty dumb. And if this is the level of courtroom drama we can expect from his own show, I think that will be a huge problem.
The writers of the show have said they have no idea how to write courtroom drama, which makes them odd choices to have written the series.

I liked the 1st episode of the show. The rest were pretty much worth missing entirely but I want to see what happens. Then this one comes out and I think it is pretty great. I have restarted to the part where DD shows up and watched through to the end 4 times already. So this has to be a departure from the norm for this show. From IMDB looks like others share my assessment.

1665142165515.png

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The writers of the show have said they have no idea how to write courtroom drama, which makes them odd choices to have written the series.
Yeah I've heard. And frankly, suspected it. The "Just Jen" episode had such a bizarre depiction of a lawyer-client relationshp. I don't mind them playing fast and loose with legal shit, but they take it too far. To the point that you think Jen and her colleagues are just shit practitioners of the law.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
As for my opinion on the episode, its fine. I think She Hulk and Daredevil are cute together and they sold me on their chemistry well enough.
But She-Hulk still suffers from the same problem its been suffering from the beginning. It hates women. Like in this one Jen is shown to be a horrible lawyer who never did even the barest hint of work with their client before going straight to a hearing and losing in 30 seconds.
And Jen instantly falling for Daredevil because he's handsome and its like damn girl, is there anyone you won't sleep with?! But then! They literally bring that up, slut shaming her in front of her parents and coworkers. And its treated as an actual insult. Like someone illegally recorded her having sex and then stole her nudes off her phone, and she is treated like the bad guy. She's as fault for the immortal sin of...having a sex life. And it works. The crowd turns on her, her parents are mortified their mid-30s single daughter isn't a virgin. And she has these really Japanese idol like fans who think she somehow betrayed them by not sleeping with them and sleeping with someone not them.
and then as these incels attempt to flee, guess who the police point guns at? Her! She-hulk! The literal hysterical woman who was just slut-shamed in front of her parents, because bitches be crazy right?
And lets not forget the big gala, what they've been building up to all this season was a completely patronizing "women in the workplace" event where every woman invited won and they're all paraded on stage to give a beauty contest answer to what it means to be a woman.

Its really staggering how much the show hates their target audience, young professional women.
Shitty lawering aside, everything else that you said is just... completely missing the whole point.

Like, completely missed it. Gone.

Different stratosphere.