Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Could have taken another 10 seasons of The Americans. What happened with Elizabeth and Philip once back in Russia? What path did Paige take? So much more they could have done with that show.
Yeah, same. The characters were the best part of the show. Though I kinda understand why they stopped given how the the central theme of the show ended in 1989. And it really ended on a high note.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Started season 3 of Reign.

End of season 2, I said I bet Catherine is back at the court by ep 2. End of ep 1 and they caught her and are bringing her back to court.

Also, in more "Why is this show so much like Shadowhunters?" in Season 3 of Shadowhunters Sebastian, the son of the mad ruler played by Alan van Sprang, gets a magic thing which means what happens to Clarissa (who is a redhead who had a mystery associated with her parentage) happens to him. In season 3 of Reign Sebastian, the son of the mad ruler played by Alan van Sprang, gets a magic thing which means what happens to Delphine happens to him. They also had a Clarissa, who was a redhead with a mystery associated with her parentage, but she was dead by then.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I watched Season 1 of Cobra Kai on Netflix.

It's...fine, but with a lot of cringe. It's trying to pump up the 80s nostalgia hard. Really hard, but a lot of its story line makes no sense.

Daniel being this mythical karate hero in the valley after winning one tournament once 30 years ago (a tournament that's been running for 50 years with 50 other champions) feels really forced and stupid. Also, cheering for sexual assault against someone, even a bully, feels pretty gross by modern standards.

Watching William Zabka ham it up as a huge loser is fun though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Legends of Tomorrow: Season 4 (4/5)

Welp, this is a awkward. Widely regarded as the weakest season in LoT (least as far as I can tell), it's the first outright good one that I've seen. Well, let it never be said that I'm not an oddity.

I'm actually going to start with the negatives, because the season has one. For better or worse, the season really lacks any core villain. Yes, technically it's Neron, but he never feels integral to what's going on. Also, even if he was, he's another demon, coming off a previous season where a demon was already the main villain. I also have to question how well a show centred on time travel and obstensibly sci-fi meshes with Satanic tropes and all that. Also, the ending. God damn it, the ending. Similar to Librarians: Season 4, I have to kind of separate the ending from the rest of the season, but damn it, it's a bitter taste.

Right, now that that's taken care of, I'm going to say that this season works overall because it goes full crazy, or at least, more crazy than its previous seasons. Which, at least in execution (conception is another matter), is something I prefer to what's come before. The lack of a strong villain is fine when on an episode-to-episode basis, things are that damn enjoyable. And funny. Funny enough that there were plenty of moments that got me outright laughing to myself. But also good character dynamic stuff.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
My understanding is that Season 1 of LoT is regarded as the weakest, as it is trying too hard to be a conventional action/adventure superhero series and not being very good at it.
Season 1 is generally poorly regarded, but if I type in "Arrowverse season rankings" (or just LoT), season 4 seems to rank pretty low. Me personally, I go 4>2>1>3.

But yeah, season 1 does feel a bit atypical. Legends is at its best when it goes for the insane stuff, while season 1 is comparatively grounded. It also doesn't help that Vandal Savage isn't the strongest villain in the world.

Also, don't worry too much about the ending, Season 5 puts a fun twist on it and gets a lot of mileage out of it both for drama and for comedy.
I've spoiled myself a bit on season 5, but even then, from a pure conceptual level, the ending leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Nate dying then being brought back to life feels like a copout, at least in the context (finally at peace with his father). And Zari just vanishing to be replaced by her brother, and no-one knowing? I can't imagine what people thought at the time when it aired. I mean, this is, by all rights, a tragic moment, because even if Nate's brought back, this is the second time he has to lose someone due to timeline rules. But by itself, it's brushed over way too quickly. And compared to other stuff, things like Doctor Who (when Amy forgets Rory due to the crack) or even the Arrowverse itself (e.g. when Nora is erased from the timeline), then, yeah. I'm glad that season 4 went for humour, but there's still times when it's good to have gravitas.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I believe this disparity has to do with how the general public and LoT-fans rank the seasons. Most LoT fans tend to rank them 1>2>4>3>5.
Shouldn't that be the other way round? You've put season 1 as the highest ranked season there.

It doesn't help to know that Hank was initially meant to be the season antagonist and that Heyworld was supposed to be a sinister plot to put the monsters of the week in a zoo. This was re-written on the basis of the actors good chemistry and Hank's actor simply making Hank too affable to be a believable villain, so instead we got Heyworld as a father's gift to his son. Such a large re-write obviously means you have to re-visit the ending and it is obvious that they didn't stick that re-write.
That makes a lot of sense in hindsight. It could also explain why Neron feels so tangental to the season as a 'big bad.'

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Legends of Tomorrow: Season 4 (4/5)

Welp, this is a awkward. Widely regarded as the weakest season in LoT (least as far as I can tell), it's the first outright good one that I've seen. Well, let it never be said that I'm not an oddity.

I'm actually going to start with the negatives, because the season has one. For better or worse, the season really lacks any core villain. Yes, technically it's Neron, but he never feels integral to what's going on. Also, even if he was, he's another demon, coming off a previous season where a demon was already the main villain. I also have to question how well a show centred on time travel and obstensibly sci-fi meshes with Satanic tropes and all that. Also, the ending. God damn it, the ending. Similar to Librarians: Season 4, I have to kind of separate the ending from the rest of the season, but damn it, it's a bitter taste.

Right, now that that's taken care of, I'm going to say that this season works overall because it goes full crazy, or at least, more crazy than its previous seasons. Which, at least in execution (conception is another matter), is something I prefer to what's come before. The lack of a strong villain is fine when on an episode-to-episode basis, things are that damn enjoyable. And funny. Funny enough that there were plenty of moments that got me outright laughing to myself. But also good character dynamic stuff.
I gave up on Season 4 of Legends of Tomorrow. Yeah it was pretty crazy, but that's all it had. There's no action, no superhero stuff, a terrible villain and story arc for the season, no internal logic, everything just happens because magic. The great character dynamics of season 2 and 3 give way to Sarah and Ava working through their relationship issues in every single episode like a couple that's been married for 30 years. And then there's Mona.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I gave up on Season 4 of Legends of Tomorrow. Yeah it was pretty crazy, but that's all it had. There's no action, no superhero stuff, a terrible villain and story arc for the season, no internal logic, everything just happens because magic. The great character dynamics of season 2 and 3 give way to Sarah and Ava working through their relationship issues in every single episode like a couple that's been married for 30 years. And then there's Mona.
Everyone's entitled to my...sorry, their opinion (ha!), but in regards to the above points:

-Legends has always suffered from a lack of internal logic. The time travel rules really seem to fluctuate based on what the plot demands them to be. They make even less sense when contrasted with The Flash (which also has the same problem of "time travel operates as the plot demands). If anything, it's easier for me to buy that magic has no rules than time travel, because the rules of time travel have been emphasized from day 1 (and conveniently forgotten) whereas magic has never really had that same limitation inside the Arrowverse.

-Didn't have a problem with Sarah and Ava. IMO, it's one of the better relationships in the show. Especially with the purgatory/bed warranty stuff.

-I'm not really going to defend Mona. She's not bad, but I really didn't connect with her. Doesn't help that the werewolf effect looks awful. FFS, how do you go from a creature of folklore that looks like this:

And instead present something like this?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Everyone's entitled to my...sorry, their opinion (ha!), but in regards to the above points:

-Legends has always suffered from a lack of internal logic. The time travel rules really seem to fluctuate based on what the plot demands them to be. They make even less sense when contrasted with The Flash (which also has the same problem of "time travel operates as the plot demands). If anything, it's easier for me to buy that magic has no rules than time travel, because the rules of time travel have been emphasized from day 1 (and conveniently forgotten) whereas magic has never really had that same limitation inside the Arrowverse.

-Didn't have a problem with Sarah and Ava. IMO, it's one of the better relationships in the show. Especially with the purgatory/bed warranty stuff.

-I'm not really going to defend Mona. She's not bad, but I really didn't connect with her. Doesn't help that the werewolf effect looks awful. FFS, how do you go from a creature of folklore that looks like this:

And instead present something like this?

Ooooof. That is a hard no, chief. Holy shit.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I watched Season 1 of Cobra Kai on Netflix.

It's...fine, but with a lot of cringe. It's trying to pump up the 80s nostalgia hard. Really hard, but a lot of its story line makes no sense.

Daniel being this mythical karate hero in the valley after winning one tournament once 30 years ago (a tournament that's been running for 50 years with 50 other champions) feels really forced and stupid. Also, cheering for sexual assault against someone, even a bully, feels pretty gross by modern standards.

Watching William Zabka ham it up as a huge loser is fun though.
*snerks* yeah, it's pretty cheesy. When I saw season 1, the whole thing about Daniel being a "hero" seemed more like a pipe dream, that he had angled into a marketing ploy for his dealership, and nothing else. I mean, local companies, with local advertisements, can be pretty goofy, so the idea of Karate Champ Daniel! Come by a car! Makes total sense to me. I don't recall the kids looking at him as some mythic figure though? But, I kind of jumped into the series at like, episode 6 or so, with some friends.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I never really watched this show, and in our current.. *ahem* climate, I'm finding it very relaxing. I am only three episodes in though and Data already got laid, and the Enterprise has run into a planet inhabited by alien black people wearing turbins, who have a savage society, and kidnap a white woman from the ship's crew. Yep....

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That first season is oh so terrible. Like, you can watch it for the camp but it is definitely not good and none of the characters are very well defined.
I can't wait to see more of Lieutenant Yar being weirdly objectified.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just finished the thankfully short Dragon's Dogma anime.

That might have been the worst thing I've watched all quarantine, and we've been going out of our way to watch and make fun of bad TV. Jesus, what a snoozefest. Non-sensical plot, very uneven animation, and literally no music. Genuinely surprised at how bad this was.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I never really watched this show, and in our current.. *ahem* climate, I'm finding it very relaxing. I am only three episodes in though and Data already got laid, and the Enterprise has run into a planet inhabited by alien black people wearing turbins, who have a savage society, and kidnap a white woman from the ship's crew. Yep....
On the plus side, that's like the worst episode, so the quality just goes up from there.

But, yeah, I normally skip most of the first two or three seasons, and about half from then on.