Discworld Author Sir Terry Pratchett Has Died At 66

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I started a read through of all the Disc World novels last year, start to finish in publication order.
Currently on Reaper Man of all things ...

RIP Sir Terry.
Of all the authors that have had affected my life and world view - you and Kurt Vonnegut have had the greatest impact.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Never read his work, but I respected his vision, and admired and liked him every time I saw him speak.

I'd say it's a bittersweet day, though, not just 'sad'. 66 with that disease isn't a nice way to go, but he left a positive mark on the world; through his work, but also his own family - Rhianna Pratchett kicks all kinds of ass as a writer, and also seems as smart and decent as her father.

So as far as universal net gains go, of entering and exiting this world? He did pretty fuckin' good.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The third of my top ten favorite authors to die far too young. ;_; Douglas Adams, Robert Jordan, and now Terry Pratchett. *clings to Sanderson and Rothfuss!*

The people in Oi-Dong in "Raising Steam" were right, the Ginnungagap is here :(.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Ah damn.

Sir Pratchett, I did not knew you personally so I cannot say anything about you, but your books were always a pleasure to read, for they always had great balance of good story, characters, comedy and philosophy. For that, I thank you.

Well, at the very least Grim Reaper that came for him was rather nice person.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
dragongit said:
well, that sucks. I've never actually had the chance to read or listen to any of the books in full but I am familiar with the setting to some degree. 2015 takes another from us.

guess it goes to show you, even at 66 an aging fantasy author with less then optimal health conditions could die on us at any moment...*glares at George RR Martin*
Just... Read them. You won't regret it, I am more than sure.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
jurnag12 said:
[sub]LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?.[/sub]
That about sums it up. RIP Sir Terry. We'll all miss you. :(

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
It's very sad to hear of his death, but it was very expected at least, what with his ailing health for years. I don't know how he was actually doing near the end, how much of him was still actually there, but, personally, I'd like to think of death as a release in some situations. Alzheimer's is one of them. It must be extremely terrifying to feel one's own mind slip away bit by bit. And even when one reaches the stage of almost infant-like confusion and wonder, brief moments of lucidity still exist. Those short bursts must be especially frightening. Again, I don't know how Terry was actually doing over the course of the last few months and years, but while I'm sad to hear this news, a part of me is glad that he made it past now.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man, that is a shame. He was a great author. One of my favorite books of all time was co-written by two of my favorite authors (Gaiman and Pratchett). I lost my top favorite author in 2007. All the good living ones are dying on me!

Explorator Vimes

Jun 7, 2010
I first ran into his work in the form of the point and click adventure games where Eric Idle voiced Rincewind. It wasn't until a few years later that my sister and I discovered this delightful world was actually written in various novels. When I first picked up Color of Magic he was cemented as my number 1 favorite author.

I can't describe the impact of his works on my life; getting me through tough patches, helping me grapple with some of the same issues he tackled in his satire, and just being able to get immersed in his world when mine was going to hell. I never was able to meet him, though I dearly wanted to, but I can never begin to thank him enough for everything he's done that has made my world a more liveable place.

If only I had my Wit and Witticisms of Terry Pratchett I could close out with some pithy and proper comment for this, but alas it is sitting on my nightstand at home. I will just have to settle for another phrase I've always loved from a different author whom I thoroughly enjoyed.

So Long, and thanks for all the Fish.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Very sad. His words always brought light and joy and laughter to me in my darkest moments of despair. I've been reading them a lot this week as I deal with a family medical crisis of my own.

If Rhianna still lurks around these boards I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in all of our thoughts.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Muspelheim said:
Deyr fé,

Deyja frændr,

Deyr sjálfr et sama;

Ek veit einn,
At aldri deyr:

Dómr um dauðan hvern.
Deyr fé,
deyja frændr,
deyr sjalfr it sama,

en orðstírr
deyr aldregi,

hveim er sér góðan getr.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
No more Terry Pratchett...

No more Sam Vimes
No more Nanny Ogg
No more Susan
No more Ponder
No more Carrot
No more Nobby

Rincewind's getting away though because Death will never catch him

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Phil the Nervous said:
No more Terry Pratchett...

No more Sam Vimes
No more Nanny Ogg
No more Susan
No more Ponder
No more Carrot
No more Nobby

Rincewind's getting away though because Death will never catch him
Or Granny :(

The sads are just too much. He seemed to have so many big plans for the Discworld...this is just the worst of news.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Weirdly, I was kind of expecting this after "Raising Steam." Everything about the way that book was written - including the way almost every major character had an appearance in it and did something, and how it wrapped up several hanging/running plot threads - made it feel like he was writing it as a swan song.
But while I can't say I'm surprised, I'm certainly sad about it. :C

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Massively sad news.

I read and own every single one of his books.

I can't imagine I'll never read anything new of his again.

At least he leaves one hell of a legacy.

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
This hits me much harder than Nimoy. Growing up as a dork, Pratchett's stuff was always so much more personal to me.

I got to meet him once, on tour for that Dickens book of his a few years ago. Just a blinding beacon of quiet, affable cleverness and wit.

Thinking about that "Mort" movie, Disney? Been saying they should make it for years.