Dishonored 2 Debut Trailer and Image Gallery - Update

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I can't believe I actually stayed up to watch Bethesda's show for this. It's a huge disappointment. Just a cinematic trailer? Nothing else? Really?
First the Doom supposedly gameplay footage was disappointing (I can't believe that the crowd was so hyped for QTE takedowns), then the "we are gamer" talking part made me cringe really hard, the intro speech was so bad and then the only thing I was hoping for ended up being a bad cinematic trailer.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'm still waiting for the game (although with the Bethesda online platform, I might not get it), just that the reveal was a huge letdown.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok, that was pretty sweet. I hope she isn't a silent protagonist like Corvo was. Considering she is the Empress, I'd like to see her have some actual dialogue, and deal with things like running the country too.

Color me very interested in this one.

Apr 5, 2008
I'll be really interested to see how the story fills in the gap from the end of the last game. Emily became Empress, Corvo her bodyguard. We can play as either, which means that the Outsider must have visited Emily at some point. I like the look of the new powers, and even tho the trailer is rendered, she is using a crossbow AND magic at the same time. Maybe they stopped forcing the sword in the main hand, one of my biggest gripes about the original.

The first one was a good game, but not great. I do enjoy stealth games tho and will be most interested to see how this one turns out.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Female protagonist huh? Maybe that will-

There's just no pleasing them, is there?
No joking aside not matter what you do people like her will *****. It how she makes her money.

Anyway

I squee alittle I wonder however if they are making good/evil the cannon ending or how they will set it up.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Happyninja42 said:
Considering she is the Empress, I'd like to see her have some actual dialogue, and deal with things like running the country too.
The Outsider's narration seemed to imply she was somehow ousted or cast down from her position ("dishonored", if you will)...

His words are "An empire at your feet and you've lost it all. Did you really deserve any of it? More important: What would you do to get it back?".
Ah, I totally wasn't paying attention to what he said there. I was more focused on trying to figure out if the protagonist was male/female to be honest. I couldn't tell. There are some very slim figured men in the Dishonored-verse, so until they did the reveal, her gender was ambiguous. That's kind of cool I guess, that she's lost her throne, but I dunno, I kind of liked the idea of her doing that while still in power.

Then again, the idea that she, even having been dishonored and dethroned, still decides to defend her kingdom, but does it more directly now, does have a strong appeal to me personally. We'll see how the plot goes, but I'm still highly interested. xD I loved the first game, and am happy they brought about a sequel.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Looks like we've jumped ~10 years into the future, Emily looks 19-20 years old now. Everything looks so shiny and advanced, I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not, but the insect spewing corpse does promise a bit of grit (which I still love).

Storywise this looks very promising. Once again we have people as pawns of The Outsider, dancing to his every whim and pushed from all sides by (hopefully) many interesting characters who have also been inspired or guided by him.
Remember, The Outsider wishes to be entertained and see whether people can grow through adversity and rise as stronger beings.

"Think before you strike! If you kill me, you become the assassin he claimed you were, y-you become one of us!"
Ultimately, no matter how successful you become, no matter what technological luxuries you have, you are still a pawn of The Outsider and trapped in his game. This is not only a plea for his life, but a warning to Emily that things aren't as simple as just killing the opposition.

Genocidicles said:

Ignore the mad ramblings of the Sarkeesian/McIntosh, all they want is to fuel their own sick agenda. If Corvo wasn't important, no one would've felt anything as The Outsider picked up his past in the form of his mask.
As presumptius as it may sound, we grew alongside him as he struggled to make things right and more importantly, as he made the right choices despite how much easier it would be to outright kill everyone in his way.

Corvo, alongside all the others who have received "gifts" from The Outsider, remains in the game until he dies.

If the diabolical duo had any actual interest in or care for games, they wouldn't spew this nonsense.
I'm curious if Corvo's involvement will be like Daud's in the first game. That he will simply have a walk on role at a point in the story, and whether he was good/bad will depend on your save file. And whether or not you have to fight him or not depends on how Emily handles herself in DH 2. If you go Good Emily, he doesn't try and stop her from "Going Bad". Or something like that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Do we get a really stylish grim-dark cover of a well known sea-shantie/y like last time? That was the high point for me at least. It's a sequel so you have to follow the sequel rules that bigger is better, therefor an album or a fully realised live band in a bar within the game would do just fine. Thank me later.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
I'm curious if Corvo's involvement will be like Daud's in the first game. That he will simply have a walk on role at a point in the story, and whether he was good/bad will depend on your save file. And whether or not you have to fight him or not depends on how Emily handles herself in DH 2. If you go Good Emily, he doesn't try and stop her from "Going Bad". Or something like that.
He's a playable character apparently. Whether the whole game can be played as him or just certain levels remains to be seen.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Objectable said:
gphjr14 said:
Objectable said:
Will they make the "Good Guy" options not completely reprehensible this time around?
What's reprehensible about condemning people to slavery or to 3rd degree burns and banishment if they're asking for it? I don't think any of your targets in Dishonored 1 deserved mercy, but that's just me.

In regards to Dishonored 2 I have high hopes for this game. One of the few where I can watch the trailer and I'm confident I'll be able to do 95% of what I just saw even though this isn't in game footage.
When condeming a woman to be kidnapped, locked up, and potentially raped for the rest of her life is considered the "Good" option, the morals are off.
it's not "good", it's non-lethal
you're supposed to level what's best for you vs what's most effective
do you kill the regent or do you banish him and destroy his reputation?
do you kill that woman or do you send her off to live in slavery?
the fact that those options are so reprehensible is the point of it
by all means, the "good guy" option is to kill them

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Cinematic trailer and no release window, ouch. All well, it looked cool enough. I'm pretty sure what we see in the trailer we will be able to do.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Happyninja42 said:
He's a playable character apparently. Whether the whole game can be played as him or just certain levels remains to be seen.
Meh, I kind of liked the idea of him no longer being a character, and it moving on to a new vessel of the Dark One. Ah well. I'm a sucker for legacy stories, and it's hard to be a legacy story, if the original person is still running around doing stuff.

Qui-mono995

Sep 27, 2014
Really excited for this, the first game has its pro and cons but still it's good news that they are developing a sequel. I don't know, maybe I like to play sometimes as a female character(without any weird, pervert stuff)

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
The mention of brutal combat in the OP puzzled me for a moment. Did anybody actually fight their way through Dishonored? This was the first interesting stealth games I'd had in years, it never even occurred to me to go into every level guns blazing. Or crossbows and rat swarms blazing. Even my 'take no prisoners' playthrough was done via stealth, I just terminated people and had them eaten by rodents rather than make them snooze.

Color me intrigued by this new outing. It's an interesting choice to transplant this to a new city; props for not going the easy route of recycling all the artwork and concepts, though I'll miss Dunwall...I'm looking forward to playing as Emily, I hope they make her and Corvo quite different in play styles so we can get some replayability with both. In addition, it'd be interesting if we could explore a little bit of the relationship between Emily and Corvo. The DLC pretty much lays it out that he's her father - and if he hadn't been biologically, he'd still be getting her Father's Day cards after all he went through to put her on the throne in the first game. The fact that she's an adult and has agency now makes it all the more interesting, potentially. Well, that's assuming they're not both silent protagonists this time. Which I hope they're not because man that would be strange...

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I totally called that Emily was the assassin before we saw her face. I feel absurdly proud of myself.

That being said the whole "play as either Emily or Corvo" thing worries me. The plot was definitely the first game's weakness, and I find it hard to see how the sequel's can be any better if the writers have to account for the player being one of two different people at any given moment. Plus, I was kinda hoping to play as someone with a personality this time.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Genocidicles said:

Your profile pic says it all.

OT: If I remember correctly your chaos rating not only affected the plague levels but also Emily's personality (with her later dialogue implying sociopathy in high chaos runs). I can't wait to see if they work with that or just take the lazy path and say low chaos is canon. Personally, I'd love for the high chaos/Emily rules ending to be canon. Making her a little crazy would make seeing what she does... interesting.