Dishonored Review

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Didn't read the full review (What? It said it had spoilers) but...damn, five out of five?...when was the last time a game that a review that good on this website...ok, now I am REALLY looking forward to tuesday.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
It looked very meh from the trailers, glad to see that the real game is much better.

Gonna give this one a rent soon. :D

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I... dunno. I think everything about the game sounds great, but when I see actual gameplay it just looks bad. Just overly stiff and very dated. The animations look unnatural, especially when the AI has to interact with the environment (like that NPC walking down the stairs near the end of the video review), and weapon/item usage (especially running around with your hand(s) in front of your "face" just feels like something that belongs in a game from 5+ years ago, not something we should still be seeing today. It may sound like I'm bagging on the game from a purely aesthetic point of view but I think thats something of a testament to how well designed the rest of the game seems to be. Everything else about the game is working overtime to pull me in, but when I see the game I can't help but feel pushed away.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
What? Two 10/10-ish games in a space of two days? How shall I find time to lose myself in both?

Kidding, kidding. Good for Arkane - and here's hoping they see financial as well as critical success this time round.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Cannot wait - it should arrive day after tomorrow and I'm glad to hear good things about it.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Glad this got a good score. Now I know it's one I gotta check out (probably not buy cause $60? sheesh). The animations seem kind of lack luster though and there was some wonky stair walking at the end there.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Sweet. This has been my most anticipated game of the year. Another site I frequent gave it an 8.75

It's good to see it's living up to the hype. Definitly getting it now. Though the video review didnt address if the protagonist was OP or not, which was everyone's fear. Probably have to read the whole thing.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Seeing this get a good score has made me want Dishonored even more now. I have it pre-loaded on Steam and just waiting for it to unlock. Midnight can't come fast enough.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
I... dunno. I think everything about the game sounds great, but when I see actual gameplay it just looks bad. Just overly stiff and very dated. The animations look unnatural, especially when the AI has to interact with the environment (like that NPC walking down the stairs near the end of the video review), and weapon/item usage (especially running around with your hand(s) in front of your "face" just feels like something that belongs in a game from 5+ years ago, not something we should still be seeing today. It may sound like I'm bagging on the game from a purely aesthetic point of view but I think thats something of a testament to how well designed the rest of the game seems to be. Everything else about the game is working overtime to pull me in, but when I see the game I can't help but feel pushed away.
If small aesthetic issues are all that's bothering you I'd say find a way to try it out, (legally of course) you may be pleasantly surprised to find that you hardly notice those little niggling things. Besides, the problems you described (and from what I saw in the video) aren't any worse than what you'd find in, for example, Skyrim. Personally I think you'd really be missing out if you passed up the game purely on visual grounds.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
This review made me feel a bit better about breaking down and pre-ordering Dishonored. Fought with the idea and all that, decided to grab it so I could relax during my rare time off. Won't read the ENTIRE review until I get my hands on it, don't want to spoil anything for myself, just read the opening and the overall bottom lines.

Hopefully I'll hop on the great Fall game quicker than I did the last (took me months to finally break down and play Skyrim, just finally stopped playing it as much about a month ago, started playing about 9 months ago)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I found it funny that before I could watch the view for Dishonored I had to watch the trailer for Dishonored. Still, I guess it's better than the Mists of Pandaria trailer.

Sounds to me like a first person Assassin's Creed with magical powers. Still, I recently received $100 so I might pick it up.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Objecti

Question!

Is the protagonist overpowered in terms of balance? If so, can this be adequately mitigated by difficulty settings?

It's just that I've been getting that impression from all the preview gameplay footage. Abilities like possession and blink just look kinda game-breaking to me. So I would greatly appreciate some insight from your good self, y'know, having played the game and all.

Thanks.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm in a current mood for steampunk stealth action (with my current playthrough of Thief and soon Thief 2 and Thief 2X), I'll definitely pick this one up whenever it drops it's price a bit.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
nikki191 said:
While im definitely interested as its the sort of game i normally love ill hold off until i hear about how the controls and ui is for the pc version. ive been bit too many times by the bad console port plague ridden rat to risk that amount of money on a preorder
Well, PC gamer gave it a very positive review, noting how impressive the PC version was, what with a variety of nice graphical options, and from what I have skimmed, never once mentioned poor controls. That all sounds pretty positive to me. :p

OT: God damn this game is shaping up to be hella awesome. I cannot wait for tuesday. :D