Dishonored Review

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Sounds interesting, will check it out, is it open world or mission base? I'm sick and tired of rail shooters.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Hooray! I wonder when my pre-order will arrive from ozgameshop. I might need to stop playing BF3 and Guild Wars 2 for.a while.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Zhukov said:
Objecti

Question!

Is the protagonist overpowered in terms of balance? If so, can this be adequately mitigated by difficulty settings?

It's just that I've been getting that impression from all the preview gameplay footage. Abilities like possession and blink just look kinda game-breaking to me. So I would greatly appreciate some insight from your good self, y'know, having played the game and all.

Thanks.
I haven't played the game yet but from the thorough investigation I just did(a.k.a watched youtube videos and read forum posts). Abilities like Blink and Possession become a necessity in higher difficulties because of the improved AI perception, high consumption of mana(I could be wrong on this one) and you dying very very fast. Blink seems like less as an overpowered ability and more of a solution to awkward first-person platforming.

Also hope this video helps on explaining the various abilities and gameplay styles.

OT: Holy crap, why we in the UAE should wait for the 12th? Argh! D:

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
I... dunno. I think everything about the game sounds great, but when I see actual gameplay it just looks bad. Just overly stiff and very dated. The animations look unnatural, especially when the AI has to interact with the environment (like that NPC walking down the stairs near the end of the video review), and weapon/item usage (especially running around with your hand(s) in front of your "face" just feels like something that belongs in a game from 5+ years ago, not something we should still be seeing today. It may sound like I'm bagging on the game from a purely aesthetic point of view but I think thats something of a testament to how well designed the rest of the game seems to be. Everything else about the game is working overtime to pull me in, but when I see the game I can't help but feel pushed away.
I know just how you feel. But with the HUD, I think it's just...this game shouldn't have been first person. Heavy focus on first person stealth or first person platforming is a deal breaker, and this game has both together. IMO it would have been a lot better off as a third person game. Although Blink might be a bit more awkward to use in third person.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
Sounds interesting, will check it out, is it open world or mission base? I'm sick and tired of rail shooters.
Reports from the reviewers say it is mission based, but the missions are pretty open so you can approach most stuff how you want. Many have compared it to the Thief games of yore, if that means anything to you.

Alexander Horta

Sep 11, 2012
Zhukov said:
Objecti

Question!

Is the protagonist overpowered in terms of balance? If so, can this be adequately mitigated by difficulty settings?

It's just that I've been getting that impression from all the preview gameplay footage. Abilities like possession and blink just look kinda game-breaking to me. So I would greatly appreciate some insight from your good self, y'know, having played the game and all.

Thanks.
Adding on to what someone else said, it seems to be only as OP'd as you're capable of. If you're really skillful, you can use these powerful abilities to their utmost, which is to say very helpful. That's not considering higher difficulties which are mentioned earlier, in which case these powers are a necessity. I can testify to the opposite, as well, having seen certain trailers. If you aren't as skillful, or make a mistake, you'll Blink somewhere in plain view by Blinking to the top of a barricade and not behind it. Or accidentally screwing up the possession and having it be a fatal mistake, or at least a hindrance [that is, unpossessing at the wrong time, or perhaps they've implemented a way for other guards to be suspicious if you've possessed their friend? Merely speculation].

Alexander Horta

Sep 11, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
StriderShinryu said:
I... dunno. I think everything about the game sounds great, but when I see actual gameplay it just looks bad. Just overly stiff and very dated. The animations look unnatural, especially when the AI has to interact with the environment (like that NPC walking down the stairs near the end of the video review), and weapon/item usage (especially running around with your hand(s) in front of your "face" just feels like something that belongs in a game from 5+ years ago, not something we should still be seeing today. It may sound like I'm bagging on the game from a purely aesthetic point of view but I think thats something of a testament to how well designed the rest of the game seems to be. Everything else about the game is working overtime to pull me in, but when I see the game I can't help but feel pushed away.
I know just how you feel. But with the HUD, I think it's just...this game shouldn't have been first person. Heavy focus on first person stealth or first person platforming is a deal breaker, and this game has both together. IMO it would have been a lot better off as a third person game. Although Blink might be a bit more awkward to use in third person.
That's not the game's fault. That's a personal preference against first-person stealth games/platformers. Strider had some reasonable critiques, though of course I don't quite see eye-to-eye with what he says, but your argument is merely bias. So, being first-person, a stealth game, and a platformer, the game's not for you.

EDIT: Er, sorry about the double post. I'm pretty tired.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still thinking about it. not really hyped about it. but if its good i might give it a try. well, still some time to think about it. i think it comes out on the 9th in australia. at least i know to keep my fingers of RE6.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
Go to Green Man Gaming. Use their 25% off code (it's on the first page, and I think good for a couple more days). Bam, under $50. It's also a Steam game, so you don't even need to use GMG's launcher. They send you a Steam code, and as long as you are cool with Steam there you go.

BTW...I have no affiliation with GMG. I just know they often have nice sales, and right now is one of those times. Figured I'd help you out. Sadly XCOM is excluded from their 25% off sale.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That good, huh? I was hoping for this. Damn, still have to wait 4 more days until the game is released here...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Packie_J said:
Zhukov said:
Objecti

Question!

Thanks.
I haven't played the game yet but from the thorough investigation I just did(a.k.a watched youtube videos and read forum posts). Abilities like Blink and Possession become a necessity in higher difficulties because of the improved AI perception, high consumption of mana(I could be wrong on this one) and you dying very very fast. Blink seems like less as an overpowered ability and more of a solution to awkward first-person platforming.

Also hope this video helps on explaining the various abilities and gameplay styles.

OT: Holy crap, why we in the UAE should wait for the 12th? Argh! D:
I used to get annoyed that we got games on the Friday as opposed to the Tuesday. But then I realised that this allows us to check reviews as embargoes get lifted. We can get personal accounts of the gameplay etc and still be able to pre-order it in time to get it on release day and get whatever nonsense pre-order crap they throw in.

It's not such a bad situation to be in actually.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Holy shit, what?
Wasn't this coming out on the 24th?

Damn, now I really need that job, gotta get mah game on.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Just watched the Machinima review...

He said 10 hour campaign (i know you can replay it differently)..
also very inconsistent questionable AI...NPC's spotting you through walls, seeing dead bodies through walls. Every NPC being simultaneously alerted when one spots you...

It's clearly going to be a good game but if these problems are true (and a patch doesn't fix them)...the whole stealth area of the game is messed up and everyone is going to have to downgrade their reviews when a possible exaggerated over the top metacritic backlash begins. Hopefully these problems are very very limited.

This is still the best and most respectable gamesite in my opinion....but they said Mass effect 3 was near to perfect....

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not sure if this is out in the UK today, but I will definitely look out for it when I'm in town today. My expectations for this game grew with almost every new trailer, and I'm glad to see that I probably won't be disappointed.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
IronMit said:

also very inconsistent questionable AI...NPC's spotting you through walls, seeing dead bodies through walls. Every NPC being simultaneously alerted when one spots you...

It's clearly going to be a good game but if these problems are true (and a patch doesn't fix them)...the whole stealth area of the game is messed up and everyone is going to have to downgrade their reviews when a possible exaggerated over the top metacritic backlash begins. Hopefully these problems are very very limited.

This is still the best and most respectable gamesite in my opinion....but they said Mass effect 3 was near to perfect....
Well, ME3 had a shitty ending but other then that it was pretty much perfect in the eyes of a lot of people. Just saying. "Near Perfect" can still have a collosal flaw.

OT: Always weary of a 5 star review. It is... Intimidating. Very few things deserve 100%. That said, Dishonored is one of the few games that I have been interested in recently. That, CoH 2 and Watch Dogs.

Would buy it but... Currently a Fresher with way too much work to bother buying even more new games. Picked up a bunch during steam sales and most of them are still untouched.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Alexander Horta said:
Zhukov said:
Objecti

Question!

Thanks.
Adding on to what someone else said, it seems to be only as OP'd as you're capable of. If you're really skillful, you can use these powerful abilities to their utmost, which is to say very helpful. That's not considering higher difficulties which are mentioned earlier, in which case these powers are a necessity. I can testify to the opposite, as well, having seen certain trailers. If you aren't as skillful, or make a mistake, you'll Blink somewhere in plain view by Blinking to the top of a barricade and not behind it. Or accidentally screwing up the possession and having it be a fatal mistake, or at least a hindrance [that is, unpossessing at the wrong time, or perhaps they've implemented a way for other guards to be suspicious if you've possessed their friend? Merely speculation].
Just adding to that: It has been stated that in the game you won't be able to unlock all abilities, or at least not to a useful level. They just had all abilities unlocked in the demos so they could demonstrate them all. And yeah, from previews I've read and gameplay I've seen if you aren't really good you cna get torn apart in seconds in combat, and spamming abilities and equipment gets rapidly expensive and unsustainable. Don't think it being too easy is going to be a worry.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Great.
I was trying to hold my expectations low, but now that's ruined. Now I'll have to endure days of crippling anticipation. Thanks a lot!

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Mr F. said:
IronMit said:

Well, ME3 had a shitty ending but other then that it was pretty much perfect in the eyes of a lot of people. Just saying. "Near Perfect" can still have a collosal flaw.
Near perfect to alot of people? A lot of people can go read IGN. For the rest of us there were a lot of problems.
Forget about the ending...there was still auto-dialogue in a game dependent on dialogue, unexplained plot holes (before the ending), choices mattering in the closed story arc...but just easter eggs in the rest of then game (illusive man? destroyed the collector base?-well you get 1 line of dialogue altered) can you agree with him....no just disagree nicely or aggressively.
Who survived in ME1? Kaiden or Ashley..well they do and say exactly the same thing in the game..bar 3 lines of autodialogue until a romance related scene finally kicks in.
Side missions? you get like 3. Exploration? fetch quests and 'solar system pinging'. If the ending has massive holes in a story based game...doesn;t that mess up half the story?? i don't care if COD has a plot hole...but a dialogue, story driven rpg?

It was still a decent game but all those problems were ignored in the escapist review.
And now again...it looks like AI problems picked up in another review could of been ignored/missed in this review. If the AI has bugs then playing on stealth is no longer fun.

I would just like confirmation from the reviewer if any AI bugs arose while they played (steathily)..maybe machinima were just exaggerating..?

Thats my long winded point. sorry i got lost in thought lol.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zhukov said:
Objecti

Question!

Thanks.
You only get so many runes at a time, so you can only be so powerful. Same with weapon upgrades. The game adds more guards, etc, if you get a high chaos rating, which you will if you just kill everyone or leave lots of bodies lying around. Add to all of that the different difficulties, and you should be just fine.