Dishonored Review

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
I love how some people are still saying it's not worth 60 and they are waiting for the price drop. Then they wonder where all the new IPs go when they don't support the developer at the months of the release. The irony.... this is how games like RE6 thrive and games like dishonored fail at launch. I just don't get it... ;(

Also to all people giving the animations flak, look at it this way, if they poured money into it like say what id did with Rage, this game wouldn't do so well. I'll take content, creativity, and birth of ideas, over things like life like animations any day of the week, month, year, interdimension, etc.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
erttheking said:
Didn't read the full review (What? It said it had spoilers) but...damn, five out of five?...when was the last time a game that a review that good on this website...ok, now I am REALLY looking forward to tuesday.
Let me put it to you this way - if you know why you as a character are "dishonored," you know the only spoiler in the review. It happens in the first few minutes of the game, but still, I'd rather be overly cautious than hurt someone's experience.

ShadowHand25

Jul 12, 2010
I still find having children slowly and creepily singing a popular song as the backdrop tune for your ad is very pretentious and annoying.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
£30 in UK, skyrim was released for £35 and COD titles are done for £40 (all on PC btw). this is on steam as well, i would have thought the pricing is similar worldwide but there we are...

anyway preordered after reading 2 very good reviews, sucks its not released for me til friday =\

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
suitepee7 said:
Vausch said:

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
£30 in UK, skyrim was released for £35 and COD titles are done for £40 (all on PC btw). this is on steam as well, i would have thought the pricing is similar worldwide but there we are...

anyway preordered after reading 2 very good reviews, sucks its not released for me til friday =\
Yea but, 30 pounds (or is the euro? fucking european crazy monetary system...) is pretty much = to $60. So you should be complaining about "overpriced BS" just as much as us. lol. :p
£30 is roughly $48. So nope, you're still getting ripped off.

I too also complain about the retail price of games, but I just had to get this game brand new with the themed Tarot Deck. After reading this review I can hardly wait for Friday!

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I find it interesting that so many people are criticizing the game (and Susan's 5/5 review of the game) without having actually played the game.

Guess how much your opinions are worth!*

Personally, I just moved Dishonered from second-to-last to second on my videogames wishlist. I always thought it looked amazing, but I'm wary of pre-ordering new IPs before someone's tried out the controls. Now that people have confirmed the controls are solid, yes.

*Nothing. They're worth nothing. It just makes you look bad, honestly.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Mimsofthedawg said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
I love how some people are still saying it's not worth 60 and they are waiting for the price drop. Then they wonder where all the new IPs go when they don't support the developer at the months of the release. The irony.... this is how games like RE6 thrive and games like dishonored fail at launch. I just don't get it... ;(

Also to all people giving the animations flak, look at it this way, if they poured money into it like say what id did with Rage, this game wouldn't do so well. I'll take content, creativity, and birth of ideas, over things like life like animations any day of the week, month, year, interdimension, etc.
yea.... or developers could just cut the prices from launch and let more people buy their games.

There really isn't any reason why games are priced at $60. I know I know, all the little details of licensing for consoles, marketing, blah blah blah. But if somethings cheap, more people will buy it. I haven't seen any marketing research done on game prices, but if steam has taught us anything, it's that cheap prices make people impulsively buy games, even if they're not sure they'd like it.

Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
the 60 bucks debate isn't going to go anywhere because developers will charge it because they can, and because there is no reason to price their games lower on the market for the work that they put into. If you gave the developer videos a try you will see that the work they supposedly put into it, well justifies the price. The things you mention like marketing, licensing aren't little things, they are neither little things in number nor impact when making a game (phrased it badly) Developers have to make a profit, they can't just work on small returns that can barely pay their own freaking bills. But yes you're right cheap games are a good way of buying things asap for most if not all consumers. Then again 65-66 (US, not Aussie. prices) bucks a month isn't going to break you, if it does then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't really be in this hobby specifically mainstream gaming. Especially since it's not like deviant games come out every month. I forgot the point I was trying to make, so oh well. Besides games were always expensive whether they were 40-50-60 that situation has not changed, nor for better or worse.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So how feasible is a completely non-stealth build?
I don't want another Deus Ex: Human Resources where they market it as an FPSRPG, but it's just a stealth game with some minor customization.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Question, is this game ok to play in front of say an 8 year old? I can tell I don't want an 8 year old playing, but watching is different. I can let him watch skyrim for example. But I don't want him playing. Where does this game fall? Cause I have to factor in when I can play to my purchasing decisions.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bdcjacko said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Question, is this game ok to play in front of say an 8 year old? I can tell I don't want an 8 year old playing, but watching is different. I can let him watch skyrim for example. But I don't want him playing. Where does this game fall? Cause I have to factor in when I can play to my purchasing decisions.
Oh, eeesh. I'd really be hesitant to play this in front of a young child. Of course, it is possible to get through the game without killing anyone, but even so....much of the game's pleasure (for me, and I imagine for many others) is sneaking up behind someone and knifing them in the neck or slitting their throat. Plus, you can send a swarm of rats to eat someone alive. Now, you don't have to do either of those things. So I guess it depends entirely on if you're willing to alter your play style to make sure he doesn't see anything too untoward.

Souplex said:
So how feasible is a completely non-stealth build?
I don't want another Deus Ex: Human Resources where they market it as an FPSRPG, but it's just a stealth game with some minor customization.
Feasible, but difficult. The game pretty clearly would prefer you to be at least somewhat stealthy, but you can definitely engage in the bloodshed if you'd like. 100% bloody? Eh, I can't say that with certainty, but you're given all sorts of things that go boom.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
suitepee7 said:
Vausch said:

Yea but, 30 pounds (or is the euro? fucking european crazy monetary system...) is pretty much = to $60. So you should be complaining about "overpriced BS" just as much as us. lol. :p
the current conversion rate is around £1=$1.6 so it works out being £30 to $48. a new console release for consoles in the UK is around £38 which makes $60, so it would seem the US is getting a console price for a PC game. like i said, it is a bit odd that this is the case, and it does suck

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
bdcjacko said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Oh, eeesh. I'd really be hesitant to play this in front of a young child. Of course, it is possible to get through the game without killing anyone, but even so....much of the game's pleasure (for me, and I imagine for many others) is sneaking up behind someone and knifing them in the neck or slitting their throat. Plus, you can send a swarm of rats to eat someone alive. Now, you don't have to do either of those things. So I guess it depends entirely on if you're willing to alter your play style to make sure he doesn't see anything too untoward.
Good to know. Since I started living with my gf's son.

Follow up question, would you guys consider adding an age guide to your reviews. While I know games have a rating system on them, it is pretty abstract and I don't know who rates thoughs. On the other hand I know the Escapist body of work and would trust you all better than.

Or do you know of another site that does that already?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bdcjacko said:
Susan Arendt said:
bdcjacko said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Good to know. Since I started living with my gf's son.

Follow up question, would you guys consider adding an age guide to your reviews. While I know games have a rating system on them, it is pretty abstract and I don't know who rates thoughs. On the other hand I know the Escapist body of work and would trust you all better than.

Or do you know of another site that does that already?
What We Play used to do that, not sure if they still do.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
DrunkenMonkey said:

yea.... or developers could just cut the prices from launch and let more people buy their games.

There really isn't any reason why games are priced at $60. I know I know, all the little details of licensing for consoles, marketing, blah blah blah. But if somethings cheap, more people will buy it. I haven't seen any marketing research done on game prices, but if steam has taught us anything, it's that cheap prices make people impulsively buy games, even if they're not sure they'd like it.

Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
Psychonauts and Rock Band 3 come immediately to my mind.