Dishonored Review

TheOtter

Ottertastic!
Feb 5, 2010
I've been eagerly awaiting this for a while but I've been burned with some recent pre-orders. Escapist is the first site I read for reviews and if they give it a good rating, then I feel more comfortable in buying the game. That being said, I always check other sites but all seem to really favor the game.

*hands $60 to Arkane Studios* Here you go. Game please.

On a site related note, I do like when Susan does reviews.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
Well Skyrim and Dishonered are published by the same company, so that aught to tell you something.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
I love how some people are still saying it's not worth 60 and they are waiting for the price drop. Then they wonder where all the new IPs go when they don't support the developer at the months of the release. The irony.... this is how games like RE6 thrive and games like dishonored fail at launch. I just don't get it... ;(

Also to all people giving the animations flak, look at it this way, if they poured money into it like say what id did with Rage, this game wouldn't do so well. I'll take content, creativity, and birth of ideas, over things like life like animations any day of the week, month, year, interdimension, etc.
yea.... or developers could just cut the prices from launch and let more people buy their games.

There really isn't any reason why games are priced at $60. I know I know, all the little details of licensing for consoles, marketing, blah blah blah. But if somethings cheap, more people will buy it. I haven't seen any marketing research done on game prices, but if steam has taught us anything, it's that cheap prices make people impulsively buy games, even if they're not sure they'd like it.

Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
To be fair, if they sell a game at a loss, they will never make money no matter how many copies they sell (obviously). and if they sell downloadable copies for cheaper than the physical copies than the people who buy physical copies would be in an uproar and the developers (or publishers) would risk losing their biggest market (I feel at this current point in time that retail copies of games still sell better than digital copies)

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
scott91575 said:
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
Go to Green Man Gaming. Use their 25% off code (it's on the first page, and I think good for a couple more days). Bam, under $50. It's also a Steam game, so you don't even need to use GMG's launcher. They send you a Steam code, and as long as you are cool with Steam there you go.

BTW...I have no affiliation with GMG. I just know they often have nice sales, and right now is one of those times. Figured I'd help you out. Sadly XCOM is excluded from their 25% off sale.
Wow, they have incredibly terrible reviews for their reliability and customer service...

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I am very relieved to see that this game did so well. The more developer diaries I saw on YouTube, the more impressive it looked. My main worry was that the variety of powers and options might make it too easy, so I pre-ordered X-Com instead. I'll have to wait until Christmas to pick this up, I suppose, but it's good to see that this game is being received warmly. The atmosphere and character design look rich and absorbing.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Was figuring this to be a mediocre flop despite hoping it was good. Very glad it's really good. I love the concept.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm so happy this game has met it's hype and is well received overall with stellar reviews.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
LiquidCloud said:
I dont want to be a negative nancy but the fact that the game does a lot of the aiming for you is a bit of a turn off for me.
I'm just going to go out and say it, I dont think this game is actually anywhere near 5 stars, not even three at best. I think it's going to go through L.A Noire syndrome, Massive hype, everyone thinks it's amazing, then, the realisation that it is actually terrible.
but that's just me. I hope i'm wrong.
You can turn off the auto aiming. Also, have you played the game? I'm just curious what you're basing your evaluation on.

IronMit said:
Just watched the Machinima review...

He said 10 hour campaign (i know you can replay it differently)..
also very inconsistent questionable AI...NPC's spotting you through walls, seeing dead bodies through walls. Every NPC being simultaneously alerted when one spots you...

It's clearly going to be a good game but if these problems are true (and a patch doesn't fix them)...the whole stealth area of the game is messed up and everyone is going to have to downgrade their reviews when a possible exaggerated over the top metacritic backlash begins. Hopefully these problems are very very limited.

This is still the best and most respectable gamesite in my opinion....but they said Mass effect 3 was near to perfect....
10 hours? Bollocks. Unless you're skipping all of the cutscenes and just racing to your target as fast as you can. In other words, not actually enjoying the game.

I never had any NPCs spot me through walls. Through windows, yes, but that makes sense. Also, when you're spotted, they call out to their fellows and/or sound an alarm, which is what draws the others to you.

I only experienced one technical glitch when I played, which was a river fish swimming in mid air during the final mission. Which I thought was kind of amusing, really, though it did ruin a bit of the drama of the moment.
Thanks for that information, I was going to say 10 hours is a bit short for me to be putting $100 on a game at launch when it has no multiplayer to pad it out for a while before a replay. I'm getting this next week after Xcom though, gotta satisfy that alien hunting urge.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I would give Dishonored bonus points for its preview's creative use of both "What do you do with a drunken sailor" and the intro to Black Sabath's (not Ozzy's) Iron Man.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
It does look pretty awesome and the review backs that.

I just kinda wished you seemed more hyped about it in the video review. You seemed to be describing game of the year material in your words, but the tone really wasn't there to capture what you were saying.

But that's just me, no big deal.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
But can you truly rock a non kill stealth build, or does it go Human Revolution on you and throw a mini gun firing boss in your face that the PC runs right into the room of despite my hours of skulking around like batman?

Anyways, this review got me excited, I've been on the fence, especially since FTL has come along and devoured hours of my life.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
Mimsofthedawg said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
I love how some people are still saying it's not worth 60 and they are waiting for the price drop. Then they wonder where all the new IPs go when they don't support the developer at the months of the release. The irony.... this is how games like RE6 thrive and games like dishonored fail at launch. I just don't get it... ;(

Also to all people giving the animations flak, look at it this way, if they poured money into it like say what id did with Rage, this game wouldn't do so well. I'll take content, creativity, and birth of ideas, over things like life like animations any day of the week, month, year, interdimension, etc.
yea.... or developers could just cut the prices from launch and let more people buy their games.

There really isn't any reason why games are priced at $60. I know I know, all the little details of licensing for consoles, marketing, blah blah blah. But if somethings cheap, more people will buy it. I haven't seen any marketing research done on game prices, but if steam has taught us anything, it's that cheap prices make people impulsively buy games, even if they're not sure they'd like it.

Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
the 60 bucks debate isn't going to go anywhere because developers will charge it because they can, and because there is no reason to price their games lower on the market for the work that they put into. If you gave the developer videos a try you will see that the work they supposedly put into it, well justifies the price. The things you mention like marketing, licensing aren't little things, they are neither little things in number nor impact when making a game (phrased it badly) Developers have to make a profit, they can't just work on small returns that can barely pay their own freaking bills. But yes you're right cheap games are a good way of buying things asap for most if not all consumers. Then again 65-66 (US, not Aussie. prices) bucks a month isn't going to break you, if it does then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't really be in this hobby specifically mainstream gaming. Especially since it's not like deviant games come out every month. I forgot the point I was trying to make, so oh well. Besides games were always expensive whether they were 40-50-60 that situation has not changed, nor for better or worse.
I'm not saying that developers shouldn't try to make a profit for their game. I'm not getting into specifics, but I think you can make profits other ways than charging $60, ESPECIALLY if your game doesn't have many hours of entertainment. I want the bring "mainstream" gaming to as many people as possible, and lowering the price would help a lot. It's also not about "breaking the wallet". It's about value. It makes no sense to buy a game for $60 when they'll just drop the price in a year anyways. Mature, frugal minded people have the patience to wait. If their waiting hurts the developer so much that there is no new sequels or the studio is shut down, my hope would be that publishers get the picture and start cutting prices.

You also can't argue that my idea is far from reality. Many developers are beginning to question to current model. EA's beginning to create more play-for-free content. The entire indie game movement is partially based on high quality, cheap games.

There's also other solutions too. For example, you could have advertisements shipped in game. Or you could set up services like Steam and Xbox Live where you pay a yearly fee (or monthly) and get the games from that developer.

I'm also not talking about a MASSIVE price cut to $10 or something. I'm more talking about $40-$50. You'd probably get a lot more early subscribers that way and each new game would still be making some profit. If you cut prices by a third but increase sales 50%, you've already made a larger profit than having them ramped up all the way to $60.

But I have no idea if this will work. Why? Because I haven't seen any reliable data suggesting it could. I haven't even seen reliable data suggesting $60 is the most efficient either. It's as though the industry is living in a little bubble without innovation (though this isn't entirely true because, as I said in my original post, Steam, Indie games, etc. are proving the logic of these concepts on their own). So understand my real point here is not to provide any sort of solution, but instead is to question is there an alternate solution at all. It's a question I see no one seriously asking. You can disagree with every one of my points. That's fine. I don't care to defend them. I myself can see faults in almost everything I say. That's not my point. My point is that I feel like there may be a better solution - but who's asking that question? No one.

So if you're going to argue something, don't argue, "Selling a game for $40 is the stupidest idea I've ever heard!" Don't even argue any of my specifics. Discuss possible solutions, or say why you think a solution isn't even needed. Because that's the point here.
Sorry sorry if the post came out to "it's the stupidest idea i've ever heard!", your post also kind of came out as "price cuts will sell more games!" not possible solutions to the price cut problems, but anyway its useless to continue arguing because my original point wasn't possible solutions to how people can push more games under more consumers, but how can consumers stop ragging on new ips, and be shocked when new ips barely come out. I also don't know jack on how to address the alternative solutions problem aside from all the developers slashing the prices 10-20 bucks downward at the exact same time, so nobody gets discouraged at selling less for more of the same work that another developer does. So yeah not going to discuss territory that I don't know how to discuss. Also in all honesty what's the point of that in this thread that is about dishonored reviews, if you don't agree with my original post fine, i'm cool with that. it's also your win mate.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
Psychonauts, Okami, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Beyond Good & Evil, Grim Fandango, Odin Sphere/Muramasa: The Demon's Blade, Disgaea (which is currently considered a "success" because it's sold 1.7 million copies across four main console releases and four re-releases for handhelds, since 2003), Ico, and Killer7 would all like to have words with you.

OT: I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF Is... on it today, really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.