Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Ed130 said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
"Bethesda game"

Next!
The post right below it...

karamazovnew said:
"Bethesda game"... Throws money at the screen.

After Morrowind, Bethesda has become my favorite developer. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 were near perfect, but their other titles have been lacking. If Dishonored is at least half as good as reviews claim it to be, yey!
You do realise that Bethesda Softworks are the Publishers of Dishonored? Arkane Studios are the Devs.
No, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look now.

But that doesn't mean I'm not hesitant to have any percentage of my money go to Bethesda for them to make more TES games when it could be going to some project I enjoy.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
Psychonauts, Okami, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Beyond Good & Evil, Grim Fandango, Odin Sphere/Muramasa: The Demon's Blade, Disgaea (which is currently considered a "success" because it's sold 1.7 million copies across four main console releases and four re-releases for handhelds, since 2003), Ico, and Killer7 would all like to have words with you.

OT: I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF Is... on it today, really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.
I still feel bad about planescape torment's launch if what the internet tells me its true, that the sales were garbage for the game that is the equivalent of messiah in crpgs. I mean thats a scary thought one of the most critically acclaimed games just didn't even break even for the devs.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
DrunkenMonkey said:
shrekfan246 said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
Plus, I can think of VERY few critically acclaimed games that have failed. Ever. I know they're out there (like Bulletstorm), but it hardly EVER happens. So I really don't think that's going to happen just because some people want to wait for a price cut.
Psychonauts, Okami, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Beyond Good & Evil, Grim Fandango, Odin Sphere/Muramasa: The Demon's Blade, Disgaea (which is currently considered a "success" because it's sold 1.7 million copies across four main console releases and four re-releases for handhelds, since 2003), Ico, and Killer7 would all like to have words with you.

OT: I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF Is... on it today, really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.
I still feel bad about planescape torment's launch if what the internet tells me its true, that the sales were garbage for the game that is the equivalent of messiah in crpgs. I mean thats a scary thought one of the most critically acclaimed games just didn't even break even for the devs.
Oh, I forgot about that one. Which just points even further toward it being a commercial failure. Yeah. This sort of thing happens a lot, and it's always tragically hilarious to me when people say "I want something new!" and then when something new comes out, they say "I'll wait for it to be cheap!" Or if it's not perfectly polished in every single way, they won't buy it at all.

Because that's how economy works.

Hell, if you want to take EA's standards for "success" and "failure", then Mirror's Edge was a commercial failure too, because in the four years it's been out, it's only sold two million copies.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Snowblindblitz said:
But can you truly rock a non kill stealth build, or does it go Human Revolution on you and throw a mini gun firing boss in your face that the PC runs right into the room of despite my hours of skulking around like batman?

Anyways, this review got me excited, I've been on the fence, especially since FTL has come along and devoured hours of my life.
Yep, you really can. It's hard, realllly hard, but doable.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Vausch said:
scott91575 said:
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
Go to Green Man Gaming. Use their 25% off code (it's on the first page, and I think good for a couple more days). Bam, under $50. It's also a Steam game, so you don't even need to use GMG's launcher. They send you a Steam code, and as long as you are cool with Steam there you go.

BTW...I have no affiliation with GMG. I just know they often have nice sales, and right now is one of those times. Figured I'd help you out. Sadly XCOM is excluded from their 25% off sale.
Wow, they have incredibly terrible reviews for their reliability and customer service...
I can understand issues with games on their launcher, but if it's a Steam game (which this is) I have had zero issues. They send the code right away, and it has always worked for me. Not sure where you got their reviews from. Oh well, to each their own, but it's definitely not a gray market site. Yet I would stay away from games that require their launcher. I bought one game that way and it's not very good. Once again though, if it's a Steam game you won't have that issue.

shadowslayer81

May 9, 2011
I've been hearing some things about the length of the game itself, Susan any sort of opinion before the inevitable fallout comes?

Like I've heard people have been beating the game in 4 hours.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Hi Susan,

This seems like a game I can thoroughly enjoy, I have a question though. How "buggy" is the game? I hear alarm bells whenever I read Bethesda.

What system did you play it on and did you notice much going wrong?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bjj hero said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dishonored Review

Absolutely killer.

Read Full Article
Hi Susan,

This seems like a game I can thoroughly enjoy, I have a question though. How "buggy" is the game? I hear alarm bells whenever I read Bethesda.

What system did you play it on and did you notice much going wrong?
Bethesda is the publisher, not the developer. Arkane Studios is the developer.

shadowslayer81 said:
I've been hearing some things about the length of the game itself, Susan any sort of opinion before the inevitable fallout comes?

Like I've heard people have been beating the game in 4 hours.
Bullshit. It might be possible to beat the game in 4 hours if you've played it before, if you try to get to your target as fast as possible if you skip through all the cutscenes, if if if. Anyone actually playing the game to enjoy it will be spending about 20 hours with it, easily.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CrossLOPER said:
Susan Arendt said:
Bullshit. It might be possible to beat the game in 4 hours if you've played it before, if you try to get to your target as fast as possible if you skip through all the cutscenes, if if if. Anyone actually playing the game to enjoy it will be spending about 20 hours with it, easily.
16 fucking hours of cutscenes? Did Kojima edit this?
I didn't say that. Skipping cutscenes is just one factor that would shorten your play time. Exploration takes up much of it, as do optional missions and taking non-lethal approaches.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CrossLOPER said:
Susan Arendt said:
I didn't say that. Skipping cutscenes is just one factor that would shorten your play time. Exploration takes up much of it, as do optional missions and taking non-lethal approaches.
I was joking. In any case, I was under the impression that there was a little more than 20 hours since there is a good deal of sand box play.
I wouldn't call it sandboxy, per se. There's freedom, but it's freedom to reach a specific goal. It's not like you can do the missions in any order you choose.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The way I imagine it, the game is probably similar to Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. You have lots of optional areas to explore, that will effectifly lenghthen the game.

But if you are dead-set on running through everything as fast as possible, you can do a mission in a few minutes.

Isn't every non-sand-box game like that?

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I am listening to my friend as he tries doing a no kill PT.
I honestly cant wait to hear how it goes.

He claims up and down that so far its no kills.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CrossLOPER said:
Exterminas said:
The way I imagine it, the game is probably similar to Thief 3: Deadly Shadows. You have lots of optional areas to explore, that will effectifly lenghthen the game.
This game looks and feels like Deadly Shadows, that is what I meant.

As for the sandbox play, is there stuff to explore? Like interesting landmarks that you don't necessarily have to go to but are kind of cool? Deadly Shadows had a lot of potential for that but they cut the expectations to ribbons.
Not in the way you mean. The city is certainly interesting to explore, and the areas that you're in are large, but no, you're not roaming around at will. So it's not like, say, LA Noire, where you can just kind of roam around the city until you feel like taking on a mission. The openness comes from the way you choose to complete missions, but this isn't sandbox in the more traditional sense of games like Skyrim or GTA.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
damn it, i knew there was going to be a caveat thing with how violent or stealthy you are. the whole "high and low chaos" rating seems like its going to hinder my enjoyment of the game.

I usually choose the stealth option in games like this, but I want a game where I don't feel like I fucked up every time I decide to kill a guard rather than sneak past him. Sometimes a guard has to die, I dont want to refrain from killing him simply because i know it'll change the game ending or ruin an achievement, I want to let him live because it was the right call to make.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
scott91575 said:
Vausch said:
Great, the one time I'm actually wanting to buy a game on release day it's 60.

Did something happen when I wasn't looking? Weren't PC games 50 dollars new not 6 months ago? Did Skyrim somehow make publishers go "Hey they'll pay 60 for that game they'll pay 60 for ours!"?
Go to Green Man Gaming. Use their 25% off code (it's on the first page, and I think good for a couple more days). Bam, under $50. It's also a Steam game, so you don't even need to use GMG's launcher. They send you a Steam code, and as long as you are cool with Steam there you go.

BTW...I have no affiliation with GMG. I just know they often have nice sales, and right now is one of those times. Figured I'd help you out. Sadly XCOM is excluded from their 25% off sale.
you sir just saved me 15 bucks on release day. You are a hero.