Disney Announces Star Wars: Attack Squadrons With Trailer and Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Disney Announces Star Wars: Attack Squadrons With Trailer and Screens

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play online space combat for up to 16 pilots at once.

If you have an itch that hasn't been properly scratched since the days of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter then you might want to keep your eyes on Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, the new game announced today by Disney Interactive. It's a free-to-play online space combat sim that will let up to 16 players battle through "iconic Star Wars locations," with unlockable items, upgradeable ships and three PVP modes: Free-For-All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.

And that's really about all we have for you, aside from some screens and a very dull announcement trailer, but more information about locations, ships - so far only the X-Wing and TIE Interceptor have been mentioned by name - and other details are promised over the coming weeks.

[gallery=1966]

I'd really prefer something with a single-player focus (TIE Fighter 2, anyone?) but this is obviously still worth some attention. The best thing about Star Wars is the space combat, after all, and with all due respect to KOTOR the same can be said about Star Wars games. Star Wars: Attack Squadrons is scheduled to enter closed beta testing in early 2014 and if you'd like to get in on the action, you can put your name in the hat at starwarsattacksquadrons.com [http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/].

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Looks simple, and could deliver on being a fun little game.
But it is EA making it right? So who's willing to bet that any ship design outside of TIE fighter vanilla and rebel fighter vanilla will be DLC?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Free to play? Dammit, another microtransaction-out-the-ass-pay-to-win grindfest like war thunder or WOT will ruin it.

and 16 players? What is this 1999?

Give us full x-wing/tie fighter games with mulitplayer like we've wanted for 20 years and dedicated servers and we'll just pay for it. I suppose they don't want to do that much work though....

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
This looks EXACTLY like the space combat from battlefront 2....being sold as its own "new" game.
No thank you, i'm good.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I think people would be happier seeing X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XWvsTF (all versions of the previous three) and Rogue Squadron added to GOG rather than a new F2P game involving dogfighting...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
cricket chirps said:
This looks EXACTLY like the space combat from battlefront 2....being sold as its own "new" game.
No thank you, i'm good.
This probably explains why it has the now-defunct LucasArts logo stamped on it.

Aug 1, 2010
[i/]*sees headline*
Aw, sweet! A new Star Wars space combat game!
*click*
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play..[/i]

Moth
er
fuck
er

It is, of course, completely possible that this game could be great like World Of Tanks, but the ratio of good free to play games to bad free to play games is so terrible, I'm not holding my breath.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Uhm....is this not just the Galactic Starfighter mode from SWTOR?
I mean it looks just like this

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Josh12345 said:
But it is EA making it right?
Well, it was announced by Disney Interactive. So if EA is making it, they're refraining from dropping their name (probably for good reason).

The game site (sign up NOW for beta!) mentions Lucas Arts (who don't exist anymore), Disney, and Area 52.

Area 52 self-describes as "We are an Interactive Games Studio comprised of industry veterans. Our combined years of experience means that if there?s a game out there you?ve loved playing, odds are someone on our team had a hand in building it."

But yeah, I'm wondering if there isn't an EA logo hiding under that Lucas Arts badge.
Lucasarts still exists as a holding company for the rights. EA have the license to develop core games but Disney still have the rights for casual games. I think they are aiming at world of tanks or something similar on the free to play model.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh god why did you have to remind me EA has it's mittens on this, for a moment there I was happy...
It's probably best I tell everyone about Star Conflict at this point, which is a lovely new space dogfighting game all yours for free right now, gives you a rebound buddy when this thing turns out all horrid.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
While I'd much prefer a "proper" Star Wars space combat game a la X-Wing and Tie Fighter, at this point I'll take pretty much anything that plops my butt into a starfighter with full freedom of movement. I just hope the F2P elements are akin to World of Tanks and War Thunder, with no "pay-to-win" advantages.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Also, this is not EA per se, but a new company called Area 52 Games. Of course, the question remains as to who owns or controls Area 52...

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
So this is basically the same as the new pvp space combat addon for free to play old republic. Great....

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Great. More FTP nickle and dime horse shit. Yeah fuck off EA. Knowing how you do business this game is going to bring Star Wars fans about as much pleasure as masturbating with a cheese grater. Maybe even less.

iyaerP

Sep 5, 2008
Worse than the FTP is that this looks worse than star wars ship mods for ancient games like freelancer and stuff. The ship movements were jerky and unnatural, and the models looked like trash.

Chuppi

Mar 6, 2013
There was a Star Wars Game called "Star Wars 1313" in the making, that looked very promising, before Mighty Mouse swallowed Lucas-Arts.How about finishing that one ?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
You had me until "free-to-play"

I'm already well familiar with EA's definition of FTP. Remember how glorious it was to play SWTOR for free? It was essentially "free-to-download", but if you actually wanted to have the slightest bit of fun past the training grounds - pay up.