Disney Announces Star Wars: Attack Squadrons With Trailer and Screens

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
If you haven't played a starwars fighter game sense the old Tie fighter games, you might want to take a look at "rogue squadron" they have made some good games, was hoping this would be something more like that.

Now that i see its free to play, and multiplayer only, i can't see this being that good, also, if the paint jobs are custoum stuff, im sure i will get the entertainment of seeing pictures of mlp on the side of a tiefighter.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Well fuck. Online only? Free to play? I'm out. I'll stick with Rogue Squadron and local co-op thanks.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Looks like it will be an arcade shooter with zero space combat simulator in it.

LAME.

Seriously, Lucas Arts/Disney must be deaf on both ears if they don't -get it- that people want an X-Wing, TIE-Fighter game.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
[i/]*sees headline*
Aw, sweet! A new Star Wars space combat game!
*click*
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play..[/i]

Moth
er
fuck
er
I see I am not alone it getting my hopes raised and then dashed horribly against the rocks. Still, at least it's progress. Perhaps this is just a test to see if there is interest in a space combat Star Wars game (Here's a hint Disney: YES!) and then they'll make a real one?

And who did the voices for this trailer? Seriously guys, I know it's early work, but come on. Try to sound a little excited. I could have done better than that. I mean, have the people who read those lines never seen Star Wars and were just reading off of a piece of paper?

And finally, and perhaps the biggest sin of all, is that no one said, "Lock S-Foils in attack position." Honestly, do these people even care?
...what? Stop looking at me like that! :)

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Mcoffey said:
New Star Wars Space Game! Yay!

It's multiplayer-only, free to play bullshit! Boo!
this this exactly this. What the fuck was wrong with tie fighter? why not just do that?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
If they make this like War Thunder, they will have a cash cow on their hands.
Except there's really nothing that can compete with War Thunder at this point. Wargaming's World Of series is failing hard right now. World of Tanks is an unbalanced garbage fest, World of Warplanes is a joke, and War Thunder is about to release their Tank Warfare game mode within the month or so.

I don't see how a 16 player dogfighter that looks this uninspired is going to take on that juggernaut.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
*sound of head exploding from sheer joy* If they let me make custom battles like in X-Wing alliance, I would be soooooooo happy. Jeez do I miss that game. Spent so much damn time playing it with my cousins. A-Wings FTW!!!!!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, it's like if they made a Rogue Squadron 4, added multiplayer, then ripped the story mode out. And for fucks sake can we mix it up with the old and new ships? I'm tired of flying X-wings. Can I get the Actis light Interceptor without having to give up Y-wings?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
X-Wing Smeckswing. Give me a new Rogue Squadron, dammit!
You have my guns dear sir!

(Forget Christmas, Gotta dig out my N64 now!)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This just goes to prove that the game industry is set on taking game concepts I want to see more of... and running them into the ground... :(

Mar 30, 2010
I got really excited there until I got to the whole 'ftp online' bullshit. Massive interest to zero interest in five syllables - thanks a bunch Disney.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
DTWolfwood said:
Except there's really nothing that can compete with War Thunder at this point. Wargaming's World Of series is failing hard right now. World of Tanks is an unbalanced garbage fest, World of Warplanes is a joke, and War Thunder is about to release their Tank Warfare game mode within the month or so.

I don't see how a 16 player dogfighter that looks this uninspired is going to take on that juggernaut.
You under estimate the fanbase of Star Wars.

It would not be competing directly with War Thunder. But if there is a ship tree and progression system where you can unlock various notable Star Wars ships it would be a gold mine for disney.

Make the old republic ships early tier, where fewer players will know what they are, thus care less, and make X-Wing or Tie-fighter late tier, the fans will play this game to death grinding to get those ships. Monetize Skywalker's X-Wing or Vader's TIE Fighter or Solo's Millennium Falcon.

The game would be brilliant and profitable. Shoot, i want to play that.

Basically, War Thunder with Star War skins :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, screw that. Is there anyone who gets excited over anything Star Wars-related any more? They can sprinkle in as many tired old lines as they like.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
tmande2nd said:
Uhm....is this not just the Galactic Starfighter mode from SWTOR?
I mean it looks just like this
No.

Galactic Starfighter is 12 v 12.

But seriously, 8v8 is really kinda... smallish.

Soviet Heavy said:
DTWolfwood said:

World of series has 4x the # of players as WT and is "Failing hard"? WT balances by bank account at each tier (better planes are more expensive to repair, that makes it balanced! Honest!), making it Pay2Win, but oh no, WoT is the unbalanced mess?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Oh good. Now I don't have to re-subscribe my TOR accounts in order to see if the free roaming space add on is any fun.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
DTWolfwood said:

Its based off one of the most popular franchises in existence. There are a lot more people who dreamed of flying an x-wing then a spitfire. Plus its f2p, there will be a very large percentage of star wars and flight sim fans trying this out. I play War Thunder, and if this is a Star Wars version, I'm very much there. The only problem I can see is the only cover going to be capital ships. Also, if you have to pay $5 for Slave I or the Falcon, then a lot of people would. How many games can you do that in, after all?

As for the people complaining its f2p, as if that means its instant rubbish, please try to open yourself to new things. It doesn't matter if most f2p games aren't great, they're free. It just makes the gems even more worthwhile. Like I just said, if you like it, you pay a little something for some extra content you actually want, and thats it. Almost certainly less than $60.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Adding my voice to the chorus of those who went from super excited to not giving a fuck in the space of "online-online, free-to-play".

The worst part is they could do such a badass update for Rogue Squadron or Tie Fighter given modern hardware. It's like they abandoned the space combat genre the moment we got machines capable of generating near movie-quality special effects.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Is everyone who ever liked X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter under some obligation to completely ignore the Rogue Squadron series?

There hasn't really been any great Star Wars games in a long while and this being F2P doesn't inspire much hope but I loved Rogue Leader far too much to not be interested.

Anyone else think it's weird for the first batch of screenshots to be in an arena with a wrecked Lucrehulk of all things? You know there's got to be Star Destroyers somewhere in the game and those are much more iconic.