Disney Debuts Live-Action Cinderella

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Disney Debuts Live-Action Cinderella

Mouse House looking to strike box-office gold with glass slipper

Walt Disney's live-action Sleeping Beauty reworking, biggest hits. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9291-Maleficent-An-Unusual-Fairy-Tale-of-Revenge] So get ready - the age of Live-Action Disney Remakes is fully upon us.

First up is a new version of Cinderella from Thor director [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3170-Thor] Kenneth Brannagh, a new trailer for which just debuted on Good Morning America. The film, which aims to adhere closely to the previous animated Disney version of the story from 1950, features Lily James as Cinderella, Richard Madden as Prince Charming, Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother and Cate Blanchette as Lady Tremaine "The Wicked Stepmother."

While Disney is prepping a number of remakes involving its moneymaking "Princess" franchise of films, other studios aren't waiting to jump on the bandwagon via the public domain nature of many of the stories they were based on: France's Christophe Gans directed a big-budget The Little Mermaid [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_COCCpWhR3Q] for a year now.

Cinderella is due in March of 2015.

Source: Walt Disney Pictures [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20DF6U1HcGQ]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The only interesting thing I see here is that Ken Brannagh is directing it. I like that guy's overwrought, stage theater like films. And his endless, four hour uncut version of Hamlet that resulted in Blackadder beating up Colin Firth for reminding him of it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I feel like I just watched the entire movie. It's literally a live action remake of the 1950 cartoon!
Unless all of that happens in the first 30 minutes and then everything suddenly takes a turn for the Bizarro Land.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Somehow, the idea of talking mice just sounds stupid when it's translated to the real world. What's the basis for it even happening? She's super nice so she's magically given friends? Also, there's got to be a deeper subtext in the vein of Maleficent that they're not showing because the splashy color palette is the only thing that stands out right now. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end up as some kind of parody or have a massive twist where the Fairy is the real villain, because everything they've shown suggests that there's no way this should be taken seriously.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
vid87 said:
Somehow, the idea of talking mice just sounds stupid when it's translated to the real world. What's the basis for it even happening? She's super nice so she's magically given friends? Also, there's got to be a deeper subtext in the vein of Maleficent that they're not showing because the splashy color palette is the only thing that stands out right now. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to end up as some kind of parody or have a massive twist where the Fairy is the real villain, because everything they've shown suggests that there's no way this should be taken seriously.
Or this shouldn't be taken seriously, because it's Cinderella and not Amistad.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
So far, I'd rather watch "Ever After" again.

captcha: play again...yep

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I freaking hated Maleficent, like REALLY hated it. They took 'the mistress of all evil' and turn't her into another freaking victim and then made her into a bloody anti-hero, fuck that.

This, on the other hand, just looks kind of bland. It will probably turn out like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, some fun/good acting from the supporting cast but overall just kinda forgettable.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Did someone else hear "my fairy goth-mother"? Or was that just me, because of Helena Bonham Carter?

Wait, is that part of a twist?

plutoburns

Nov 19, 2014
Well that was a boring trailer. Im sure the movie will look very pretty, but why does it need to exist?

Maleficent, love it or hate it, was a different take on existing material. Seeing Sleeping Beauty is NOT a substitute for seeing Maleficent. This looks like a faithful retelling, with some minor but ultimately pointless additions. The only part of that trailer that looked remotely interesting was Helena Bonham Carter playing the fairy godmother as she at least looked to be doing a very different version of it.

Also, I got the sense that they were trying to add some depths to the characters, but is that really a good idea? I mean, its a fairy tale, with very broadly drawn characters and actions. If you make the characters seem more human, it'll just feel weird when they have to behave in accordance with fairy tale logic. I sensed this problem on the step mother. She's supposed to be evil, but she really seemed over the top in this version: sitting on her throne and taunting Cinderella with the mcguffin shoe.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Nuxxy said:
So far, I'd rather watch "Ever After" again.
Yeah, I'm seeing nothing here but a live action replay of the animated 1950 movie. What's the point if you're not going to add something new to the story?

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
While I think I would like this movie, it just doesn't interest me enough to go see from what they've show. The problem is I have yet to see anything new out of it. Think about Maleficent, whether you like it or not, I think we can agree it at least seemed fresh. We just haven't had that many movies(and other media for that matter) twist the Sleeping Beauty story. I can't think of any movies that did, which if not nothing else meant Maleficent had real potential to be different and interest. But Cinderella, I can name many that did, from playing it straight(Rodgers and Hammerstein) to adding more back-story(Ever After) to sympathetic villains(Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister). I really struggle to think of what this telling will add.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
PunkRex said:
I freaking hated Maleficent, like REALLY hated it. They took 'the mistress of all evil' and turn't her into another freaking victim and then made her into a bloody anti-hero, fuck that.
Yea that was stupid... seems to be the fate of any villain getting the lime light.
Kerrigan of SC was the same. Awesome villain turned into victim and then anti-hero.
That?s just lame writing!

PunkRex said:
This, on the other hand, just looks kind of bland. It will probably turn out like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, some fun/good acting from the supporting cast but overall just kinda forgettable.
QFT.
It look cheesy as hell.
Maleficent at least had a new spin on it, ultimately it fell flat on the face but there was at least some point to it.
This seems like a pretty straight forward adaptation... I rather watch the classic animation instead of this.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I feel like I just watched the entire movie. It's literally a live action remake of the 1950 cartoon!
Unless all of that happens in the first 30 minutes and then everything suddenly takes a turn for the Bizarro Land.
I was going to say something similar. The trailer basically tells the whole story with all the highlights, after watching that I don't even really see the point of paying to watch the minor bits that tie all those major moments together.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
K.ur said:
Did someone else hear "my fairy goth-mother"? Or was that just me, because of Helena Bonham Carter?

Wait, is that part of a twist?
I would watch that movie. I would watch that movie SO HARD.

OT: Eh... I might see this. I dunno, it doesn't look terrible or anything, but I just don't see anything that makes me want to rush to the theaters. Not registering on my hype-o-meter at all.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Remus said:
vid87 said:
Or this shouldn't be taken seriously, because it's Cinderella and not Amistad.
I meant seriously in that they're just retelling the exact same story and not expecting modern audiences to care. I get what you mean but there really is something off-putting about trying to make realistic cgi talking mice "work" versus a cartoon and, while Branagh isn't exactly subtle and I personally didn't care for Thor all that much, he's still an accomplished director and Shakespearean vet - I simply can't see him throwing his effort behind something that right now looks so bland and uninteresting (unless he's desperate for work. Also, I'm fully aware of duds like Wild Wild West: no one's perfect). Point is I'm having a hard time taking the trailer at face-value.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Well that looks as dull and unnecessary as I imagined it would. At least Maleficient did something with the premise, as opposed to purely remake the cartoon

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Tbf we didn't know Maleficent had a dark twist till the film was released...We just thought it would sleeping beauty from her perspective. Which it is...But there is so much more to it that it actually shocked people. This could do the same for all we know.

I'm willing to give this a chance, plus it has Rob Stark and Beletrix le Strange in it...How could i pass that up?!

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
OK, i watched it a second time and a question into the round.

Did anyone get the feeling that this will be NOT a musical?

If so, then this won't be a live-reshot of the cartoon. And given his ,Shakespearean background, it seems he wants to lift (or sink) this fairy tail to a drama.
In short: He wants to put Grimm back into it.