Disney Infinity Will Have On-Disc DLC

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Disney Infinity Will Have On-Disc DLC

Assets from future Disney movies will be hidden on the initial game disc.

Judging by how vociferously the internet responds to it, it's fair to say that Disney Infinity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117267-Capcom-Says-Its-Done-With-On-Disc-DLC]. The Skylanders-esque game will contain unlockable content right on the disc, but here's the twist: It all comes from future Disney projects, and revealing it at the time of shipping would spoil the surprise.

John Vignocchi, the game's executive producer, warns that if tech-savvy buyers hack Disney Infinity discs, they could find content that shouldn't see the light of day for up to twelve months. "We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer," he says. At present, Vignocchi plans for yearly hard-copy Disney Infinity releases, with each disc containing relevant data for the following year of content.

The most obvious response to Vignocchi's plea is that Disney Infinity should have had all DLC available for download instead of hiding it on the disc. Vignocchi sees the logic in that idea, but argues that it isn't feasible just yet, especially since the product's young audience may not have constant broadband access. "In the future, as we move on to new versions of consoles we're going to be able to digitally deliver that content, and the figurines themselves will simply be dongles that allow us to then instantiate a download of that content," Vignocchi explains. ""But given the current generation of consoles, the content needs to be on the disc."

One has to wonder why Vignocchi would share this information with the internet if he didn't want it to be widely reported, but perhaps he's banking on the inherent good feelings many people associate with Disney products. How about this: If you're going to hack the Disney Infinity disc and leak all of the upcoming IP details, could you at least use spoiler tags?

Source: VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/disney_infinity/news/disney_warned_film-makers_that_future_movie_assets_could_be_exposed_by_disney_infinity_hackers.html]

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
If the people who bought it are given access for free when the project is released, then I see no problem. However, if they're going to go all Crapcon and charge for it, then there's a big problem.

..Wait, given the recent era of consoles, the content needs to be on the disc? Isn't digital distribution the thing everyone is pushing so hard for cause its like the greatest thing ever that cuts costs and puts the screws to the consumer? All the major consoles have stores loaded with multi-gig games that can be downloaded. What exactly is holding this particular project back from having their DLC actually be DLC?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Seems like a silly idea if you ask me. Some crafty person out there will reverse engineer the files and release the info onto the internet within days of release. I'm willing to bet this is actually a clever ploy at marketing, making people actively search for the "yet to be announced" Disney projects.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Time until every single detail is available on the internet: Approximately five seconds from release.

I mean, seriously? Has this guy never visited the internet?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Honestly, because this isn't exactly going to be a terribly influential game, and the industry as a whole is moving away from On-Disk DLC, I can't get too worked up about this. I just have to say that this plan is going to backfire spectacularly. And I will just be sitting here laughing.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sylveria said:
If the people who bought it are given access for free when the project is released, then I see no problem. However, if they're going to go all Crapcon and charge for it, then there's a big problem.
That's just what I was thinking. If it's free and it gets released as the secret projects are unsecreted then I actually think this is quite cool. However we all know that before the week is over someone will hack it and spoil the surprise for everyone with an internet connection anyway.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Well at least they're being up front.

Anyway, can't wait to hear about those new Disney IPs!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If it free, then I'm fine with it, and even think it is a neat idea, although it is a bit dumb to announce it to the world, when you know somebody will find that info within hours of release and have it online.

If they charge for it though, then it becomes more of a problem.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Knows people hate it
Knows people can hack it
Knows it will spoil future releases

Puts on disc anyway.

?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Sylveria said:
Pretty much this, as they've proven they don't need the extra money to cover the cost of development.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but under the assumption you are...

If you're making a game and you sell it for $60 and that's not a high enough price to cover development cost, your development process has issues. Price the game for what it actually costs instead of trying to extort people later or start cutting your development/marketing costs. If the game costs $70 and is actually worth $70, people will pay it.

I don't have a problem with DLC, but the way DLC used to be defended was it was content made between completion of the game and certification and then after release so the team didn't have to lay everyone off. If it's on the disc, it's part of the completed game. It was already paid for. It wasn't additional material added later. It was there, it was done. You bought a cheeseburger, you paid for a cheeseburger, but in the wrapper there was just a bun with a message saying you still had to purchase the patty, the cheese, and your condiments.

I'm of the opinion that on-disc DLC is straddling the line of false-advertising and it won't be long till someone, probably EA or Capcom, starts advertising a game having certain features included only for people to buy the game, get home, and find out they aren't available until you pay extra to unlock them.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Isnt all the content of this game on-disk DLC? Like, dont you have to buy the figurine to play with it? Its probably going to be the same, a new movie comes up with a new set of characters that then will be available in figurines to use here, the thing is that those characters are already in the disk, just like all the other ones that also need the toy to be unlocked.

This info doesnt change anything other then the fact that we will get to know what is Pixar and Disney planning on doing next related to movies

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
If this isn't some crafty reverse psychology marketing strategy, this guy isn't thinking right. Putting it on the disk is one thing, but going out and saying "Alright, everyone. We put some secret stuff involving future IPs that we don't want to get out on the disk. Now if everyone would be so kind as to not hack the disk and find out what it is, we would be very grateful", that's just silly. He must not really know about the internet.

Eduardo Rivera

Jul 6, 2011
Anyone else feel like this is a stunt to draw attention. Otherwise why would you tell people? Correct me if I;m wrong but corporations aren't known for their full disclosure prowess.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Given the nature of how the game works with the figurines plus the age of the intended audience I can totally see why it has to be on the disc since it really isn't DLC perhaps as it's more or less content that's locked until you buy the toy. This is the same principle used for Skylanders. I only take issue with the fact they already plan to make this an annual thing released every year which I'm never a fan of especially considering how much it would cost to buy a full priced game plus hundreds of dollars of little plastic figures on a yearly basis. That's hell on anybody's wallet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sylveria said:
I don't have a problem with DLC, but the way DLC used to be defended was it was content made between completion of the game and certification and then after release so the team didn't have to lay everyone off.
Keep in mind, this was quite often a lie they hoped they could float by people, anyway. I mean, Look at how many games already had on-disc DLC when they said that exact same line. It was never really an honest argument.

I'm of the opinion that on-disc DLC is straddling the line of false-advertising
I'm of a similar opinion, save that it most definitely is false advertising. They claim you can download additional content, when you are doing no such thing.

and it won't be long till someone, probably EA or Capcom, starts advertising a game having certain features included only for people to buy the game, get home, and find out they aren't available until you pay extra to unlock them.
Aren't games already doing that with online passes and the like? A lot of THQ games heavily advertise online features, but have gated them for years now without advertising that part. This doesn't just impact used purchasers, though they are the primary attempted target. EA isn't always forthcoming with this sort of thing, either, though their approach is generally more honest than THQ. Not sure about Capcom, because I've stopped paying much mind to Capcom due to their horrible business practices, but if they've done it, (insert example here).

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
John Vignocchi, the game's executive producer, warns that if tech-savvy buyers hack Disney Infinity discs, they could find content that shouldn't see the light of day for up to twelve months. "We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer," he says.
It's almost like he is challenging the internet; this can only end one way.

And I almost feel sorry for him.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Sylveria said:
Well they are going to have to pay for it anyway. This is going to be like Skylanders where you buy toys of the characters to use in the game. So you'd have to buy the toys from the new projects to access them in the game regardless.

However if they charge an additional fee on-top of the toy then they are just being dicks.

Atary77 said:
Given the nature of how the game works with the figurines plus the age of the intended audience I can totally see why it has to be on the disc since it really isn't DLC perhaps as it's more or less content that's locked until you buy the toy. This is the same principle used for Skylanders. I only take issue with the fact they already plan to make this an annual thing released every year which I'm never a fan of especially considering how much it would cost to buy a full priced game plus hundreds of dollars of little plastic figures on a yearly basis. That's hell on anybody's wallet.
I was thinking the same thing about the yearly release thing. I would hope the toys are universal and you don't have to buy toys of the same character every year. That would be an incredibly cruel, and expensive, thing to do.