Disney Infinity Will Have On-Disc DLC

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Doom-Slayer said:
For the record, he mentions twice that "The industry tries to justify it as (bleh), but....." which implies that it's unjustifiable.

The rest is summed up in his closing argument: on disc DLC isn't DLC. You pay to download a key, not the content itself that's already there. If anything the argument is more along the lines of there's no justifiable reason to call on-disc-DLC DLC at all since, word-for-word, you're not actually downloading content.

The full argument, as presented at the beginning of the episode, is that devs use on-disc DLC for compatability issues. Jim's argument is that the very presence of on-disc DLC creates any issues that it was meant to solve in the first place. It's not so much DLC at that point but rather a cash-grab. He's not saying "Justify your on-disc DLC by just admitting you want more money", he's saying "Don't call on-disc DLC "DLC", call it what it is: a cash grab."

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Well this is a dumb idea - "Ooh, we have spoilers for our new films, but we're gonna Hide them on the disc until the right time to sell them to you"... No, some Genius rogue'll have that hacked + out in the open inside a Week.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
So if this game is trying to capitalize on the success of Skylanders, why the hell would it need DLC at all? Why not just sell figurines and stuff? I mean, people are way more likely to buy that than they are DLC. This is why this game isn't going to do as well as Skylanders, in my opinion.

Captcha: Keep More Money

Thank you, Captcha.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
VanQQisH said:
Seems like a silly idea if you ask me. Some crafty person out there will reverse engineer the files and release the info onto the internet within days of release. I'm willing to bet this is actually a clever ploy at marketing, making people actively search for the "yet to be announced" Disney projects.
This.
Reading all the comments, they make this guy out to be a huge idiot. This is Disney we are talking about - they have been marketing and branding for years. It is next to impossible for them not to know that the sort of thing they are "afraid" of will happen. So, why not announce it now and generate a "hype" for knowledge about future Disney projects? It is evil marketing genius is what it is. He is relying on the internet to behave like the internet. Welcome to the future.

"We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer,"
- he says with an evil smirk on his face.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
J Tyran said:
You are not getting it, it doesn't matter that this is not a normal game and you buy the content bit by bit as the new figures are released. It doesn't matter that they need the content built into the game so they can just sell the toys, none of this matters because its on the damned disk! They are owed it because they own the damned disk! Its not DLC if its on the damned disk! -has meltdown and hugs a pile of DVDs- my precious disks!
It's...

...a game...

...based on game-toy interactions.

....which requires toys...

...to interact with...

...so....

...ellipses are fun...

Sheo_Dagana said:
So if this game is trying to capitalize on the success of Skylanders, why the hell would it need DLC at all? Why not just sell figurines and stuff? I mean, people are way more likely to buy that than they are DLC. This is why this game isn't going to do as well as Skylanders, in my opinion.

Captcha: Keep More Money

Thank you, Captcha.
:facepalm:

The... figures... are how... you... unlock... the... content...

...it's like people don't even read.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I can see this ending real well.

Marshall Honorof said:
< "We're hoping that isn't something that is widespread reported because then people are going to start looking for it, and it's going to ruin the magic for the consumer,"
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and you've just challenged the denizens of the internet not to spoil everything.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Disney needs a lesson in economics... When your customers are rooting for the pirates, you've really screwed up

Go pirates!

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Personally I'm really glad to hear about this. They just saved me money by warning me to stay away from their product or from buying it for any of my relatives for that matter. It's like how you know to stay away from brightly colored frogs. They're super poisonous, or in the case of this Disney IP, cause intense delusions should you come into contact with one.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
Doom-Slayer said:
Wesley Brannock said:
I've seen ONE argument about on disc D.L.C that I agree with. Here it is.

I have to admit, I love me some Jim but thats the only video of his that I find really misinforming and contradictory.

Take a moment to watch it while keeping the title in mind. Go on Ill wait.

You may of realized that nowhere in the video did he say that on disk DLC was by on its own unjustifiable. He straight up does not say that ANYWHERE in the video. What he DOES say, is that devs using the "we have to include it" is a stupid and wrong excuse, and he says that if your going to do paywall content, go to the fremium market.

But then he tells devs to just admit that they want more money for content and thats why they are doing. Isnt that justification? Isn't that a pretty damn good reason they are releasing on disk DLC...to make more money? What if they just want to make more content for gamers to play, but cant afford to give it away for free?(Or dont want to). And nowhere on his video does he say thats not a good enough reason. Nowhere. All he does is say that on disk DLC is not neccesary, therefore saying its neccessary is not a valid reason. And hes right funny enough, but nowhere does he say that on disk DLC is not justifiable.
Listen I except that its GREED but that in and of itself isn't an acceptable way for a company to behave. Movie theater owners don't stop a movie in the middle of a showing and tell the audience " If you want to watch the rest you have to pay a fee "( not even the indie movies do that keep in mind they don't have a lot of cash either ). Books aren't sold a single page at a time my point is that D.L.C isn't being used to add content but being used to force the person who PAID for the content to pay yet again. You wouldn't pay twice for the same book , movie , music so why would you pay twice for content that you already paid for. ( This is the ONLY response I will do )

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
To be fair to them, if putting unlockable content on the disc is something they're gonna do regardless of what they're consumers think or not, especially if its unannounced future content, then regardless of whether or not its announced or not, someone is gonna go looking, and is more likely than not to find it. All things considered, the shit storm surrounding the reveal is going to be exponentially smaller if it were them who announce its presence than if someone just stumbles across it.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Wesley Brannock said:
Listen I except that its GREED but that in and of itself isn't an acceptable way for a company to behave. Movie theater owners don't stop a movie in the middle of a showing and tell the audience " If you want to watch the rest you have to pay a fee "( not even the indie movies do that keep in mind they don't have a lot of cash either ). Books aren't sold a single page at a time my point is that D.L.C isn't being used to add content but being used to force the person who PAID for the content to pay yet again. You wouldn't pay twice for the same book , movie , music so why would you pay twice for content that you already paid for. ( This is the ONLY response I will do )
Blah blah general righteous indignation that actually doesn't address the specific nature of the specific product.

Seriously, that's all this and most of the posts are in this thread.

1) No one is being forced to pay twice for content in this. The model is closer to, for example, League of Legends. No really. In League of Legends, you get ALL the content downloaded to your system. Every champion comes downloaded with the game. However to USE a specific champion, you have to earn the right to unlock it.

In the case of this game (and Skylanders which uses the EXACT same model), that unlocking is done by physically purchasing the toy related to the content. Get the toy, get the content for the toy. The toy and the content are intermarried, and the content is incomplete without the toy.

In essense, you're paying for the toy, and the toy comes with the right to use it in game.

With what they're describing for THIS game, the toy AND the content are even more related--as in the content interacts with the toy itself. You're not paying twice to get the same content--you're paying once and getting two kinds of related content in two completely different media.

2) Logistics. You have to, with each toy, figure out how to distrubute the software that relates to that toy. You can't 'not distribute the software.' That means that you either have to have the software packaged with the toy, have the software downloaded off the net, or have the software included in the original package.

Let's look at each of these three options:

1) Having software with the toy.

This means either having multiple versions of the software with each toy, OR having multiple versions of the toy for each platform. Both of these are needlessly expensive, given digital distribution, and are the most hassle for the consumer. No one wins with this model.

2) Having software downloaded after perchasing the toy.

This is a possibility, and if the game has enough longevity, they'll have to do this regardless. However, this also includees some small hassle for the consumer. It's more convenient than the first option, but it's less convenient then...

3) Just have the damn software on the disc.

Okay, look. Let's be realistic. They know well in advance their toy distribution--even if they've not been manufactured yet. Doing this is the least hassle--you hook up the new toy and BAM it's already there. Bang. This is the most convenient option for everyone in this SPECIFIC model.

This is a game which involves marrying toys and game... it's a new model. The old assumptions don't count.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Wesley Brannock said:
Games dont do that either? You arent being forced to buy DLC(or..on disk unlockable content if you wanted to be correct about it). After all its optional content that costs money, if you want it buy it and if you dont buy it. The entire game is still there and isnt interrupted by the need to buy that content. Its just DLC like you can get in any other game, or download online, the only difference is that you dont need to download it, you just get a code, which makes it easier for people with bad internet.

Your comparison is completely wrong.

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
This is just stupid. They already know the surprises may (they WILL) be discovered early by examining the files and the simple fact that there is content on a disk gamers paid for that is not available until a specific time will not help their game at all. Even if it is free there will be many enraged.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
grigjd3 said:
Blatant abuse of the media as a hype machine for upcoming projects is blatant. The guy might as well have said he's giving a million dollars to the first person to hack the disk.
This is pretty much my thoughts exactly. They want to release spoilers, and what better way to get good coverage than by saying hackers found content not yet intended to be announced. So the online media will cover it, like they always do with leaks, and people will gain interest and start looking stuff up. Then they will come out with this big announcement about how, even though they didn't intend to do it so soon, they are announcing Mickey Mouse in Space fighting Hal Jordan or some other nonsense.

laetificat

Jan 26, 2013
This "DLC" is just like with Skylanders, you unlock characters by purchasing the toys. Disney already knows which characters will be released so they put the content right on the disk, do I have a problem with it? No. Is it stupid from Disney to do? Yes. People will hack the disk and get the characters without buying the toys, and everyone knows that every kid has internet these days. Either on their console, tablet, smarphone or PC.

But let's say Disney is right and kids don't have internet, what about future Disney characters that they introduce next year or something? They can't put that on the disk any more so it'll have to be actual DLC, that means the kids buy the new toys but can't play the characters because they're not on the disk and only available online. I think on-disk DLC is just stupid.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
NO GUYS, YOU DON'T GET IT. You're all focused on the on disk DLC, what you WANT to be focused on is the "Yearly releases".

THAT's why it isn't downloadable, because they can't make as much selling downloadable content as they can selling hard copies /and/ figurines. They're basically saying right there "we're going to just keep churning out rehashes."

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Why do people call locked content DLC?

DLC means "downloadable content" if it's on this disc, you aren't downloading anything but the activation key.
Few days late, but anyway... people are too ignorant to figure out what "DLC" actually is and just want to complain about not getting another thing for free. Because, technically, there is free DLC and more along the lines of unlockable content that you have to pay for buy not download. It always bothers me that people complain about on-disc downloadable content. Hell, you aren't even downloading it from this disc to a console, you are just reading it from the disc.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
laetificat said:
People will hack the disk and get the characters without buying the toys
Yes, all those 6-12 year old kids with their RFID scanners and RFID encoders and spare RFID chips hanging around the house that they've got just lying around, because that's what every parent buys their kid... RFID equipment for no reason whatsoever.

Cause I mean, look at what those 6-12 year olds did with Skylanders, with their RFID technology. It was totally kids.

Not grownups with nothing better to do.

Nope.

Oh, escapist forums. Sometimes so rational and intellectual, and yet, sometimes so capable of mindless outrage over buzzwords without actually thinking things through.

I love you sometimes.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Elate said:
NO GUYS, YOU DON'T GET IT. You're all focused on the on disk DLC, what you WANT to be focused on is the "Yearly releases".

THAT's why it isn't downloadable, because they can't make as much selling downloadable content as they can selling hard copies /and/ figurines. They're basically saying right there "we're going to just keep churning out rehashes."
I gotta agree here. This issue of "on-disk DLC" boils down to an incorrect name. Call it unlockable content. Problem solved. Now to real issues for this and other games:
1. Is this content removed from the game like additional characters in a fighting game or new cars in a racing game?
-Yeah, that is a money grab and it sucks.
2. Are these new map packs for online play?
-Depends, was the general consensus that original set was complete enough for enjoyable online play, worth your $60?
3. Is it a way to sell toys?
-If yes, then GREED FESTIVAL At least make the game freemium or really cheap initially.
4. New game missions?
-Does the initial game seem complete or does it seem like the ripped this mission out of the middle of it just to have something to sell to you?

With all of these issues, it doesn't matter where the data is, be it on the disk or as a download. Charging for content that should be in the full game sucks whether it's on the disk or not., and vice-versa for added content that is justified and worth the price of admission. I don't care where the bits come from, as long as they are worth it.