Disney is Rebooting The Lion King

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Welllllll... I think "Jungle Book" proved that they can do it. Whether adapting an original property (yes, yes, Kimba, I know, go away), especially one as revered as Lion King, is a good idea... Time will tell.

I mean, Pete's Dragon really had nowhere to go but up. Lion King? Not so much.

zidine100 said:
Milking old franchises? I guess you could say thats just the circle of life.
Ba-Dump Tish!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
anthony87 said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
fix-the-spade said:
I'm also curious to see whether or not it awakens another generation of latent Furries to the world
Wasn't that supposed to be Zootopia?
And here I always thought it was Space Jam

............. It's funny how much detail went into a side character to flesh out how sexy she is.
In a kid's movie. I mean, I know Space Jam was also aimed for adults but I still question why she even exists.

OT:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY HERE WE GO~ get ready to take a back seat as Disney tries to get an easy 1 billion dollar cash grab from the world by rebooting a classic Disney movie. Right off the bat, I could tell something wasn't quite right. What exactly can they do / add / improve on the original? The animation on the first Lion King was perfect, the songs were great, Scar was an incredible antagonist, the scenes are memorable ... like jesus christ the movie is more than fine without being altered. What can they possibly do to improve the quality / scenes themselves? It's an obvious attempt to get more money, relying on our nostalgia to get them rich(er).
Because most people in the industry are closet furries who brainwash kids to like sexualized rabbit girls

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This reboot will probably lack "Do Me Eyes Nala". Not sure if it'll lack Elton John.
Also....
Seriously....
Disney....
When are you going to reboot Gargoyles into a live action movie? If its somehow because a lack of furries, well there's always The Mutates.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Hey Disney, instead of rebooting a well-crafted and pretty timeless story involving Hamlet told through Lions and work on something otherwise great but you can remove the crippling flaw.

Ooh, have it be about xenophobia and self-identity.
Maybe set it in a location known for having culture clashes. France is good for that.
And we can remove the annoying 90s from the sidekicks.
Maybe a story that involves religious identity leading to hate.
And just, you know, spitballing, that the gargoyles can be imaginary?

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Ah, I can already picture it... a Strong Girl Lion inheriting a matriarchy this time, and everyone who doesn't demonstrate their love in the most manic terms conceivable will be branded a "misogynist" and cast out of polite society. Or possibly charged under new "hate crime" legislation. It's gonna be Epic!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Oh jesus...

What a terrible idea, I mean great idea for them cause they will make bank, but for everyone else.

If they change the music...that would just suck, because the music is pretty darn good.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH ZIIIIPEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDAAAAAAAA(?), MAAOOOOOOPPPEEEEEEEEEE DABA DO DABA DEE(?),

ooooooooooooooo yeaba ah doooooooooooooo(?)

And caaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn you feeeeeeeeelllllll, the looooooooooovvvvvvvvveee tooooooooniii-iiiiigggghhhhhtt,
it is where we are,
it's enough, for this wiiiide eyeeeedd wanderer,
thaaattt we got thissss far

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is all fine and good and I'm sure it's going to be an easy pay-day for Disney but why don't they just...ya know...reboot their movies that didn't do well? Why can't we get a reboot of The Black Cauldron or Robin Hood? Yeah, we just had like...5 Robin Hood movies in the last few years and Black Cauldron might be a little too Huntsman/Maleficent but those made money. I loved Lion King sure but Disney has other properties that could use more love.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MCerberus said:
Hey Disney, instead of rebooting a well-crafted and pretty timeless story involving Hamlet told through Lions and work on something otherwise great but you can remove the crippling flaw.

Maybe set it in a location known for having culture clashes. France is good for that.
We talking about 101 Dalmatians?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
RaikuFA said:
MCerberus said:

We talking about 101 Dalmatians?
no that movie needs its proper sequel, Starlight Barking

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think that's dumb, not just for nostalgia reasons either. The issue for me is that Disney has completely abandoned hand drawn cell animation. I am so tired of CGI movies that are just visually boring that I don't think I could sit through it if I wanted to. It's weird because a lot of those classic animated moves are timeless. Great music, great animation and voice talents, etc. We'll see what happens, but I won't be holding my breath.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
This is all fine and good and I'm sure it's going to be an easy pay-day for Disney but why don't they just...ya know...reboot their movies that didn't do well? Why can't we get a reboot of The Black Cauldron or Robin Hood? Yeah, we just had like...5 Robin Hood movies in the last few years and Black Cauldron might be a little too Huntsman/Maleficent but those made money. I loved Lion King sure but Disney has other properties that could use more love.
Hollywood is backwards. They shamelessly retool movies people love and ignore movies that had potential but didn't do well.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Baresark said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Hollywood is backwards. They shamelessly retool movies people love and ignore movies that had potential but didn't do well.
As true as that is it's weird when they do decide to remake something with potential but which didn't age well, like the original Pete's Dragon. I don't know how well that movie did originally but looking at it not too long ago I don't see how it could have done TOO well unless Micky Rooney was really that much of a draw back in the day.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I know I sound like a broken record here but can we, or at least you, please stop referring to every remake as a "reboot" as if it was some ongoing franchise up to this point?

Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss Michael Eisner and I want him back. Can somebody remind me why we decided he was the spawn of Satan?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...WHY?!? What was so wrong with the original movie that they had to reboot it? Or is this just a late effort to drain the franchise dry? Fuck Hollywood...

Sep 28, 2016
StatusNil said:
Ah, I can already picture it... a Strong Girl Lion inheriting a matriarchy this time, and everyone who doesn't demonstrate their love in the most manic terms conceivable will be branded a "misogynist" and cast out of polite society. Or possibly charged under new "hate crime" legislation. It's gonna be Epic!

Something you wanna get off your chest at all?

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
A part of me doesn't mind a retooling because at least they have some talent working for Disney still.

But then I realize that they'll probably go for the full CGI route, which at best will force a shift of the artstyle so shit 'makes sense' in a 3d space..

At worst it will just throw out the stylized look that actually was a huge part of why lion King struck a chord with me back in the day, and go for realism.

I know CGI is the new wave due to how it is technically cheaper now when everyone has the tools available.. but I despair at the wholesale abandonment of the 2D animated style from major releases.

I mean for goodness sake, Disney made GRAVITY FALLS look extremely appealing without overtly endering everything in 3D, why can't they make movies with that kind of art sensibility?

*Despairs over the animation field of today*

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
I know I sound like a broken record here but can we, or at least you, please stop referring to every remake as a "reboot" as if it was some ongoing franchise up to this point?

Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss Michael Eisner and I want him back. Can somebody remind me why we decided he was the spawn of Satan?
You mean it's not a franchise except for its two sequels and the TV series, right?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Can we stop using the word "reboot" when what we really mean is "remake"? Because I'm getting tired of words not meaning anything anymore.

Also, why not just re-release Lion King in theaters again? People will go see it (as was proved when they did it in 3D (for some reason)), and you can take advantage of the nostalgia dollars without having to spend any money to create a new product that shits on an old one that didn't need a remake.