Disney says they're not going to do any more 2d animation.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
ChemicalAlia said:
Even though I'm a 3d artist now, this makes me sad. When I was a kid it was my dream for years to go be an animator and work for Disney, and Disney was one of the major things that drove me to learn drawing when I was little.

That said, Paperman was pretty great looking and had a traditional feel, so if the workflow is just easier for animating in 3d, then I guess that's best for Disney.
Hey wait a minute... I thought you were one of the red names here! Worked at Gearbox or something! If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
Not surprised by this. Using computers over hundreds of thousands of cells to animate is ahell of alot easier and less time consuming.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
ChemicalAlia said:
Even though I'm a 3d artist now, this makes me sad. When I was a kid it was my dream for years to go be an animator and work for Disney, and Disney was one of the major things that drove me to learn drawing when I was little.

That said, Paperman was pretty great looking and had a traditional feel, so if the workflow is just easier for animating in 3d, then I guess that's best for Disney.
Hey wait a minute... I thought you were one of the red names here! Worked at Gearbox or something! If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
She seems to have two accounts of the same name. Not sure as to why.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
gigastar said:
an annoyed writer said:
ChemicalAlia said:

She seems to have two accounts of the same name. Not sure as to why.
Huh. Must be a backup or something.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I thought they said they don't currently have any in development, but it doesn't rule out the possibility for more in the future.

But I've just got back from Wreck it Ralph and thought that was really good, and if the keep making brilliant shorts like Paper Man then I am okay with this. That short alone is one of my favourite disney animations.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Fuck Disney. No seriously, fuck them. The company is downright evil; fastidiously buying up everything in the media industry, lobbying for extensions of copyright laws that break the very purpose of the laws in the first place, supporting bills like SOPA through huge donations of time and money.

I say lets complete the transition into of irrelevance by simply ignoring the company.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I wouldn't take this article too seriously. The Guardian isn't the most reliable source for news like this. It has been stated multiple times by Lasseter and Disney and others that they'd be willing to green-light a new hand-drawn animated feature to be released every two years. This is partially due to the success of The Princess and the Frog.

Now, there is the merging of traditional animation and CGI techniques demonstrated in Tangled and Paperman as well as the relative lackluster success of 2D animation. I wouldn't be surprised if the original statement was tweaked a little bit to mean a mixture animated film. Or maybe they are just limiting themselves to shorts FOR NOW but I do know Lasseter didn't work so hard to re-hire all those traditional people for nothing. 3D and CGI can speed up the 2D traditional animation process so who's to say that's not all this means.

Whatever happens will be fine. Everyone lighten up.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
just because it's CGI doesn't mean it can't stylistically be similar to handdrawn cartoons. I think they're mostly talking about technology, not artistic presentation.

Euskalduna said:
lRookiel said:
Oh well, more Toy story and other 3d films :3
Pretty sure Toy Story is Pixar.
And Pixar is a Subsidiary of Disney.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Euskalduna said:
lRookiel said:
Disney owns Pixar.

Altorin said:
just because it's CGI doesn't mean it can't stylistically be similar to handdrawn cartoons. I think they're mostly talking about technology, not artistic presentation.
Exactly. As I said, The Guardian is not a reliable source for news of this kind. Some people in this thread have already expressed their bias against The Guardian as it is.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Euskalduna said:
lRookiel said:
Disney bought Pixar, or something to that effect [http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news/companies/disney_pixar_deal/] a while back*. It involves something about Disney doing distribution, while Pixar remained independent of Disney's major policies.

The relationship could have changed, but I do know for sure that Pixar's John Lasseter took over directing Disney's Bolt after the original director was fired. Bolt was originally going to be called American Dog.

*Argh, ninjas everywhere.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Terminate421 said:
This may just be false....
To be fair, this story has actually been in the air for six months now according to some other forums:
Animation Guild Blog. [http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/hand-drawn-at-disney.html]

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
This isn't like there will never ever be any more 2d animated movies, it just means that Disney is giving up on it.

Someone else will take up the job, I'm sure.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I suppose as rendering 3D gets faster it would be the obvious option but still... I adore 2D animation. There's something in it 3D has just transitioned out of and it's really hard to place what.

Actually no I know what it is. There's a flair, that 2D has that just becomes really hard to phase into 3D...The only obvious example I can think of is from the Digimon Tamers series but that's a bit out of date now...Anyway what goes on is there's several transitional evolution scenes for the 3 main digimon 2 of them get full 3D cutscenes and 1 gets a 2D animated cutscene. The 2D scene is infinitely more expressive and imaginative, smoother and lovely to look at, while the 3D... is okay, but seems to fail to capture any kind of imaginative quality.

As I said 3D has evolved alot in the last decade. They're doing more with than ever before, Flash is becoming a legitimate way to animate cartoons, times will just move along with it.

As seen with the paper man... there's a way to combine both.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Awwww, this is sad news. I suppose it was already a sort of unspoken reality though. Aside from The Princess and the Frog Disney hasn't made hand-drawn movies for quite some time.

Still, I've always loved the 2D style of animation. Sad to hear Disney's through with it.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Tangled and Wreck it Ralph proves Disney are on the right track with their CGI animation stuff.
Princess and The Frog proves Disney have lost their magic 90's period with 2D animation.

Saying it costs too much to make is a huge lie though as Ghibli does it all the time with their films, and in fact they prefer it to digitally rendering.

Fun Fact - In 'Ponyo' no one could render the waves realistically via digital so Miyazaki had to draw and animate them himself.

What a man

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
That being said, Paperman was actually CGI [http://www.itsartmag.com/features/paperman-breakdown/#.UT9MQBy7N8F], believe it or not.
I could tell, I complained to the people I was with that it would've looked better hand-drawn

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I think I remember a time when Disney said Brother Bear was going to be their last 2d animated film. And then they made Princess and the Frog years later. I guess it fluctuates.

But I remain optimistic. I haven't seen Paperman yet, but if it's as good as people say, then maybe the future lies there: CG animation that mimicks hand drawn 2d animation so well the two become indistinguishable. Then we'd have both the modern CG and the traditional hand drawn animation existing side by side, with the latter being in a sort of undead state. But still kicking around nonetheless.

But oh well, if this turns out to be actually true and final, all the more reason to embrace the classics and all the studio Ghibli films. On an unrelated note, I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service yesterday, and giggled like a baby with glee the whole film through. It's maddeningly adorable and uplifting.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
As long as filters can be used to create a "2D feel" with 3D graphics, I have no problem with this. At this point, most hand drawn animation is computer assisted anyway.

I did enjoy cels - ie, collecting them from favorite shows - but considering how much can be done with "fake 2D" 3D technology, it doesn't really bother me.