Disney Wants to Release a New Star Wars Every Year Indefinitely

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
This is about the worst news possible concerning Star Wars.

GIVE US A FUCKING BREAK!

I'm sick and tired of Star Wars. Everywhere you go there's Star Wars this, Star Wars that. It's been done to death!

I liked Star Wars once. Now I despise it. And there's one simple reason for it: Overexposure. If it went silent inbetween movies, I probably wouldn't be complaining, but that doesn't happen. It's CONSTANTLY there.

I want a twenty-year moratorium on all things Star Wars. No movies, no games, no toys, nothing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Wow, four pages of this and NOBODY says the one line that's absolutely necessary. Well, I'll do it.

[HEADING=2]I've got a bad feeling about this.[/HEADING]

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Syzygy23 said:
I'd think Disney of all companies would understand the meaning of "Over-saturating the market".
Because they do it so often?
They did in the 90's with all those direct to VHS releases, but I thought they stopped that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
They did in the 90's with all those direct to VHS releases, but I thought they stopped that.
When, particularly, did you think they stopped it? In the 90s? They were doing direct-to-DVD in the 2000s and even into the 2010s. This isn't even getting into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with something like 8 planned TV shows on top of 3-4 movies a year.

The thing is, those DVDs sold. Which is why they did them.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Isn't the star wars universe so massive though, that you could technically make a movie every year and never run out of ideas?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Victim of Progress said:
Isn't the star wars universe so massive though, that you could technically make a movie every year and never run out of ideas?
Pretty much. The old Star Wars EU went on for almost 150 years after the original trilogy with the galaxy in a state of near constant warfare, to say nothing of the thousands of years of history before the movies to expand on. If anything Star Wars is probably the best setting for this model to work in with the movies being seen as an anthology series with the movies in the same setting.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Everyone is comparing Marvel to this... it really doesn't work the same way. While there are certain similarities between the Marvel movies, the fact is that because all the characters are so vastly different you get completely different types of movies with each experience. For example, Iron-Man is about one mans path to redemption and dealing with his wreck of a life and personality flaws. Then we have something completely different with the Captain America movies where the first one is all about a WWII movie with super science thrown in and Winter Soldier is pretty much a spy thriller. Ant-Man was a heist movie with super powers. Thor is all about mystical realms with fantastical creatures and fantasy elements. Guardians of the Galaxy was an epic space romp. The soon to be Doctor Strange is about mystic arts and dimensional travel with what it seems to be a more horror tone is going to be in play. These are all inherently different characters, with inherently different personalities, with inherently different powers, and with inherently different feels to how the story is told. They just so happen to cross over in the same universe now and again. The only thing every single one of them have in common is that they have a lot of jokes in them and are overall mostly lighthearted affairs, which isn't really a testament to them being the same.

Star Wars on the other hand........ it is Star Wars. Unless they leave the main galaxy itself, well.... how different can it possibly be? It will ALWAYS have the same feel no matter what they try to do. Do we really need origin stories for Han Solo or Boba Fett or whatever? Not really. We know where characters like that stand and where they came from. And the main antagonist is ALWAYS going to be about whatever the Empire is doing. It will ALWAYS be about the Rebels and what they are doing. It will ALWAYS be the same problems all around the universe with very little way to tell different types of stories to the degree with what Marvel is able to do with their vastly different characters and settings. Even with all the different planets they can go to and with the endless potential to pretty much do anything, what can they possibly do? Make a movie about Smugglers? A Bounty Hunter movie? Would these really be major steps for a franchise that is more about the rise and fall of the Republic and then the Empire, and the fall of one Skywalker and the ascension of another? It just doesn't really work, IMO. You can;t compare a series like Star Wars that is built on taking its time with a universe like Marvel. They are built in completely different ways and do very different things. A Star Wars movie every year would be like if Marvel just made an Iron-Man movie every year and didn't use their other characters. It just wouldn't work. It can work for books because the medium is very different. But movies?That would get exhausting and will wear thin seeing the same thing over and over again.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well, if Marvel can do it I guess Disney can too...I wonder how long it'll be before they release a genuinely bad Star Wars though. Also can't help but wonder if this would count things like children's movies. Coming July of 2018: Jedi Clubhouse.
give'm a couple of days.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Orga777 said:
Everyone is comparing Marvel to this... it really doesn't work the same way. While there are certain similarities between the Marvel movies, the fact is that because all the characters are so vastly different you get completely different types of movies with each experience. For example, Iron-Man is about one mans path to redemption and dealing with his wreck of a life and personality flaws. Then we have something completely different with the Captain America movies where the first one is all about a WWII movie with super science thrown in and Winter Soldier is pretty much a spy thriller. Ant-Man was a heist movie with super powers. Thor is all about mystical realms with fantastical creatures and fantasy elements. Guardians of the Galaxy was an epic space romp. The soon to be Doctor Strange is about mystic arts and dimensional travel with what it seems to be a more horror tone is going to be in play. These are all inherently different characters, with inherently different personalities, with inherently different powers, and with inherently different feels to how the story is told. They just so happen to cross over in the same universe now and again. The only thing every single one of them have in common is that they have a lot of jokes in them and are overall mostly lighthearted affairs, which isn't really a testament to them being the same.

Star Wars on the other hand........ it is Star Wars. Unless they leave the main galaxy itself, well.... how different can it possibly be? It will ALWAYS have the same feel no matter what they try to do. Do we really need origin stories for Han Solo or Boba Fett or whatever? Not really. We know where characters like that stand and where they came from. And the main antagonist is ALWAYS going to be about whatever the Empire is doing. It will ALWAYS be about the Rebels and what they are doing. It will ALWAYS be the same problems all around the universe with very little way to tell different types of stories to the degree with what Marvel is able to do with their vastly different characters and settings. Even with all the different planets they can go to and with the endless potential to pretty much do anything, what can they possibly do? Make a movie about Smugglers? A Bounty Hunter movie? Would these really be major steps for a franchise that is more about the rise and fall of the Republic and then the Empire, and the fall of one Skywalker and the ascension of another? It just doesn't really work, IMO. You can;t compare a series like Star Wars that is built on taking its time with a universe like Marvel. They are built in completely different ways and do very different things. A Star Wars movie every year would be like if Marvel just made an Iron-Man movie every year and didn't use their other characters. It just wouldn't work. It can work for books because the medium is very different. But movies?That would get exhausting and will wear thin seeing the same thing over and over again.
Huh...
someone who hasn't seen the Clone Wars series.
I always wondered if there were more of you out there.

GhostFox

Oct 29, 2014
For what it's worth, I have to side with Disney on the 'scrapping the EU' thing.

The EU was an agglomeration of stuff that accumulated ('grew' is too kind a word, with its implications of some orderly. organic expansion) over the years, and while it did include some brilliant stuff, far more of it was of 'glorified fanfic' caliber -- and often not even very good fanfic. Taken as a whole, it was a mess of self-contradictory fanwank, and guess what? Almost NONE of it was ever 'canon' (and please learn that word, the thing with two of the letter 'n' in the middle is the thing you shoot cannonballs out of) as far as LucasFilm was concerned, and theirs is the ONLY opinion that counts in the matter. (I am sick to death of the whole 'the fandom owns this' attitude applied to so many things, where 'the fandom' -- as if that is even a single, organized entity -- somehow 'deserves' more control over a franchise than the author or production company that created it.)

It's an entirely positive thing to me that Disney/LucasFilm chose to officially flush the EU. One, it allows them to actually construct a future timeline (past Episode VI) that makes coherent sense. Two, it allows them to surprise us with where they go, as opposed to making movies out of the too-familiar mess that was the EU. And three, it allows them to cherry-pick the best ideas from the EU and reintroduce them as canon (as has already been mentioned) without having to include the garbage along with them.

(Also, the new Marvel line of Star Wars comics has been almost entirely brilliant so far. Just saying.)

If they want to do one movie a year, by branching out into side stories to fill the gap years between main-storyline installments? Sure, why not? It's a big galaxy. Lots of stories to be told there. The Marvel model? It WORKS. They have proven they can do this sort of thing. Let's all just take a breath and see what they do with it, and if it DOES suck, then fine, I'll be complaining right along with the rest of you.

But this pre-condemning bullshit, whether for Star Wars or for anything else where "the fandom" gets all hatey about something no one has seen yet, has got to stop. It does no good.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
You can't get over-saturated by something you're not watching.
I'd argue that you can, depending on the sections of the internet/people you hang out with.

For instance, I'm not sick of the Marvel Cinematic Universe because of oversaturation (or at least, not only because of that). I'm sick of it because for the longest time, it was the only thing people were talking about wherever I looked, and they were hailing all of the films as some sort of renaissance for action films, and Marvel could do no wrong and none of the films had any sort of problems whatsoever, or if they did then those problems didn't matter because you have to marvel at these novel ideas being put into film for the first time evar!!!1!11!!!

And I'm not sick of talking about the Star Wars prequels because I hated them (on the contrary, in fact, as I still enjoy them even though I can recognize some of the more glaring issues). I'm sick of talking about them because for the past fifteen years the only conversations people seem to be capable of having re: Star Wars involve bitching about them endlessly.

Same thing goes for a lot of game franchises, like Sonic the Hedgehog or Mass Effect or Call of Duty or Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. It's just not even worth talking about them anymore, because I don't think I've heard a new or unique or interesting opinion on any of them since at least 2010.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
"People like Star Wars. Therefore; a new Star Wars every year, forever"

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but to me this logic is akin to: "I like chocolate. Therefore; my dietary intake will now exclusively be chocolate".

When will these suits realise that too much of a good thing is, by nature, too much? I realize that they won't hesitate to drive people mad with the franchise and convert whatever good-feeling they had left into exhausted hatred if it means profit, but I think they'd end up with more to ration it out. Concentrate on making a handful of amazing movies, and leaving it there for now. Let the merchandise and whatnot supplement the sales. Leave something left that people will want more of in the future, rather than sucking it dry and burying it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
looks like they are going to remake their own EU, except they dont have to pay royalties to its authors now. Milking it to the max there Disney, like you always do.

Syzygy23 said:
I'd think Disney of all companies would understand the meaning of "Over-saturating the market".
considering that dysney owns half of the market, no, they dont.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Hopefully they are planning to make multiple running stories, because if they're year-after-year just the same cast that'll run it down quick. Big giant universe like that, seems like they should do the movies the way they do the tv series.

I mean it sounds like they want to do it that way, but you never know til you hear of the finished product.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
So they are going with the room of monkeys infinitely trying to write Shakespeare approach then? Well at least we know they'll be successful, the question is: when?

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Auron225 said:
Leave something left that people will want more of in the future, rather than sucking it dry and burying it.
Name ONE business that does this other than green industry

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Do4600 said:
Auron225 said:
Leave something left that people will want more of in the future, rather than sucking it dry and burying it.
Name ONE business that does this other than green industry
Bethesda

Came to mind given it's topical. Unlike, say, Ubisoft who crank out Assassin's Creed games as often as possible, Bethesda take time to make their games special. Yes they can be buggy messes, but people are still psyched for them. Fallout games come out infrequently enough that people will be excited about them when they are released.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well, they couldn't have come up with a better way to instantly make me completely lose interest in the new films altogether. Knowing that they're planning on turning the entire franchise into a money machine that squirts out a new films every year regardless of the level of artistic vision involved completely sours me on the whole idea of Star Wars. I don't think I'm even interested in watching 'The Force Awakens' now, because I know it won't be part of a complete self-contained trilogy that I can watch and I have NO interest in just watching Star Wars films (which are practically GUARANTEED to descend into mindless crap within the first 5 at most) forever.

Well done, Disney. Fuck you.