Dissing Mass Effect Andromeda because it has diversity and equality

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
altnameJag said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Or; there's no accounting for taste.

Then again, I like Vega, Cortez, and Liam, so apparently I'm already an outlier.
I can understand Vega, but I don't get how you can like Cortez. Its not about his character, its just he's barely in the game.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Bob_McMillan said:
altnameJag said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Or; there's no accounting for taste.

Then again, I like Vega, Cortez, and Liam, so apparently I'm already an outlier.
I can understand Vega, but I don't get how you can like Cortez. Its not about his character, its just he's barely in the game.
*shrug* I interacted with him about as much as I did with Joker, and found Cortez to be a very compelling character.

That I didn't share elevator rides or shoot Reapers with him is irrelevant. Heck, I didn't even know I was romancing him until Bioware went "are you really, really sure about this?"

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
altnameJag said:
*shrug* I interacted with him about as much as I did with Joker, and found Cortez to be a very compelling character.

That I didn't share elevator rides or shoot Reapers with him is irrelevant. Heck, I didn't even know I was romancing him until Bioware went "are you really, really sure about this?"
But...doesn't Cortez's route take off with things like "I can't say no to you" while nervously smiling and scratching the back of his neck and then the Wall thing that immediately turns into inviting him to a dance party?

Not saying you can't like the guy(personally he's a fucking bore) just that his route is one of the more obvious "Oh look, there goes the boner poking through the pants" things in the game.

With you on liking Vega though, stupid as he looks and how little introduction you have to him, I like Sammy Davis Jr. Sorta with you on Liam at points. But as we all know, the true final bosses of the Mass Effect popularity poll are if you like Jacob and Ash!

PhoenixMaster

Apr 3, 2017
Anti-SJWs can be fucking shitty really when all they do is complain about a game having diverse characters and such. The alt-right has gotten much worse in recent years.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
PhoenixMaster said:
Anti-SJWs can be fucking shitty really when all they do is complain about a game having diverse characters and such. The alt-right has gotten much worse in recent years.
C'mon dude, don't be a part of the problem and act like the only thing being complained about is the existence of diverse characters.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
altnameJag said:

But...doesn't Cortez's route take off with things like "I can't say no to you" while nervously smiling and scratching the back of his neck and then the Wall thing that immediately turns into inviting him to a dance party?

Not saying you can't like the guy(personally he's a fucking bore) just that his route is one of the more obvious "Oh look, there goes the boner poking through the pants" things in the game.
Never had anybody hit on me before. I'm not the best at personal interactions.
With you on liking Vega though, stupid as he looks and how little introduction you have to him, I like Sammy Davis Jr. Sorta with you on Liam at points. But as we all know, the true final bosses of the Mass Effect popularity poll are if you like Jacob and Ash!
Never played 2, and did the "oh god, everybody died" preset for 3. Didn't have a problem with Ashley outside of the weird and distinctly unrealistic "argue someone out of being racist" bit. But then, I never actually finished 1, just played a bit on a friends copy. Tried replaying is a bit when I got it on Origin, but the PC port is trash.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
PhoenixMaster said:
C'mon dude, don't be a part of the problem and act like the only thing being complained about is the existence of diverse characters.
It's not the only bit, but it is the only bit with elaborate conspiracy theories concocted by anti-SJWs.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
altnameJag said:
Redryhno said:
PhoenixMaster said:
It's not the only bit, but it is the only bit with elaborate conspiracy theories concocted by anti-SJWs.
Unfortunately it's also the only thing being heard when it comes to the topic.(whether that's intentional or not, I don't know)

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
altnameJag said:
Redryhno said:
PhoenixMaster said:
Unfortunately it's also the only thing being heard when it comes to the topic.(whether that's intentional or not, I don't know)
Well, I mean, you're in the thread about specifically that, what do you expect?

There's plenty of other threads around for people to vent their spleen of the less-than-optimal aspects of the rest of the game.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
altnameJag said:

There's plenty of other threads around for people to vent their spleen of the less-than-optimal aspects of the rest of the game.
Sure, but people are just jumping to "just a bunch of alt-right boogeymen conspiracy theorists" instead of acknowledging the complaints as valid in ways they may not immediately see or personally think about. Again, whether that's intentional or not, I don't know. Also the question of those complaints even being considered as valid isn't thought about, it's just immediately decided to be a bunch of conspiracy theorists or this week's hate organization.

Just annoying to see nearly every complaint leveled at the game have a response that is some variant of either "you're just circlejerking in KiA and haven't actually played or watched the game", "You're imagining things", or "You're complaining, therefore you are everything that is and ever will be wrong with gaming for not being happy with being able to play a game and have fun".

I get defending a game and being a fanboy for a company, I've got no problem even with sunk cost to a point, but it's gotten to a bit of a ridiculous level in the last few years.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Redryhno said:
altnameJag said:

Sure, but people are just jumping to "just a bunch of alt-right boogeymen conspiracy theorists" instead of acknowledging the complaints as valid in ways they may not immediately see or personally think about. Again, whether that's intentional or not, I don't know. Also the question of those complaints even being considered as valid isn't thought about, it's just immediately decided to be a bunch of conspiracy theorists or this week's hate organization.

Just annoying to see nearly every complaint leveled at the game have a response that is some variant of either "you're just circlejerking in KiA and haven't actually played or watched the game", "You're imagining things", or "You're complaining, therefore you are everything that is and ever will be wrong with gaming for not being happy with being able to play a game and have fun".

I get defending a game and being a fanboy for a company, I've got no problem even with sunk cost to a point, but it's gotten to a bit of a ridiculous level in the last few years.
Man, we're dealing with a level of delusion that reaches "Bioware intentionally made female models ugly because feminism" levels.

Nobody's saying the game doesn't have bugs or that certain facial rigs aren't janky as hell.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't think they intentionally made them ugly, they tried making them look normal as opposed to impossiblely perfect like the last few games.

But unfortunately, when "normal" is put into video game form it just becomes ugly.

In any case, the patch actually seems to have improved the animation and eyes by quite a bit.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
altnameJag said:
Man, we're dealing with a level of delusion that reaches "Bioware intentionally made female models ugly because feminism" levels.

Nobody's saying the game doesn't have bugs or that certain facial rigs aren't janky as hell.
I actually have a few theories on that idea. Nothing as drastic as they designed their character models as they did because feminism, but I think there was a different level of thought put into the character design for this game than in most other games. For instance, take 2B out of Nier, she is designed to look completely sexually pleasing to the eye, the creator has pretty much stated that himself, which isn't to say she can't look badass or stoic or anything else, just at a visual design she was meant to just be nice to look at. Then look at Cratos from God of War. I won't deny that he looks cool as hell, but he doesn't look that sexually appealing. The design wasn't based around sexual appeal, but the appeal of badass, of someone that a 12 year old would perceive as manly. Now let's get back over to Andromeda. The female characters look like the design philosophy wasn't based entirely around visual sexual appeal, closer possibly to what someone might say looks a bit of a badass or a joker or something of the like, while the men mostly look like super models.

That, or the character designers just have different ideas of sexual appeal and wanted to put in who they thought would look sexually appealing, and shocker, some people didn't find them sexually appealing.

Again, not saying directly feminism, but a shift in the visual design philosophy that is more of a flip on what most character design in video games has been based around in the past. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either, I find the perfect looking female characters to be a bit boring. I was the guy that wishes I could have romanced Wynne from Dragon Age Origins, and found Sera in Inquisition, while not exceedingly pretty, to be still cute in her own right. I also really liked Bull's character design as well, and was heavily torn on whether to romance him or Josephine. I'm getting side tracked, my point being I think there was intent behind why they don't look perfect, I just find it to not be the malicious SJW threat /v/ makes it out to be.

All this being said, I still think Andromeda looks sub-par with tons of bugs, poor combat, awkward dialogue and it sounds like the writing elsewhere isn't any better either. Ultimately, I think it's one I'll skip on, I just hope to see certain aspects of the character design philosophy to carry over in the future for other, better, games.