Divinity: Original Sin

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I played a little of the game at a friend's place. It seemed okay, but he was complaining about how under-optimized it was and showed me that the only thing that even remotely affected his framerate was the resolution, it still ran on a laggy 20+ rate no matter the graphics options.

I only saw a little gameplay but it looked like a ton of fun, though I didn't see any NPC dialog so I cannot report on the writing. So... yeah. That's all from me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes it is possible to deliver an in depth narrative in a game without making us read a several novels worth of text. This is why I never bothered to read any of the Journal entries in Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I don't care about that I'm more interested in the game part.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Having a rich, detailed story in an RPG is a good thing, but there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing." When the plot becomes so overrought with backstory it makes the current events of the game move at the speed of a snail on a salt lick, that's a problem.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
The idea of dungeon monsters having Union Reps makes me smile. That said, exposition over some dead dues life isn't so bad, it's just when it's paragraphing opposed to a quick snippet of info.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Wow, that's high praise. I've been thinking about getting this game, maybe I ought to take the leap. I love the classic Infinity Engine RPGs, so maybe this'll help scratch that particular itch until Pillars of Eternity comes along.

Dec 14, 2009
There's a special kind of high as a rogue in that game.

Sneaking around, stealing paintings off the walls of a pubs. Stealing stuff off tables. Stealing stuff from pockets. Stealing stuff not on tables. Stealing stuff from that weird place that isn't quite on the table, but not quite off either.

Stealing stuff.

[sub]Stealing everything.[/sub]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
If it were me, I would have long ago looted that skeleton and moved onto the next one. I don't need its life... er, death story.

I JUST NEED ITS GOLD

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
There's always a good method of delivering exposition in such a way that the player is not only not bored to death by it, but is actively interested in learning more. That said, Dragon Age seemed to deliver by truckload and dump it all over my character without any preparation. I couldn't keep up with all the lore entries and after a certain point I thought, "I'm just gonna kill things; let the chips fall where they may." Sometimes I wished there was a more expedient way to read lore, like flipping through the journal during the loading screens.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Loved the Skeletor reference in the first panel.
Daystar Clarion said:
There's a special kind of high as a rogue in that game.

Sneaking around, stealing paintings off the walls of a pubs. Stealing stuff off tables. Stealing stuff from pockets. Stealing stuff not on tables. Stealing stuff from that weird place that isn't quite on the table, but not quite off either.

Stealing stuff.

[sub]Stealing everything.[/sub]
Sounds like Morrowind

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
you can't have too many words in an RPG.
You can have badly chosen or inexpertly assembled words however.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
This game owned my soul for two weeks. Its certainly on the wordier side of things. I felt that was a good thing.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
nyysjan said:

So, by the second part, do you mean horrible spelling mistakes? I'm fairly certain inexpertly assembled words is just a polite way of saying "You can't spell for shit."

Authentic Skeleton Noises. I wasn't even aware Skeletons could make noise from their jaw-like-area. Let alone speak without stopping for a breath and boring the shit out of the heroes.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Ninmecu said:
nyysjan said:

So, by the second part, do you mean horrible spelling mistakes? I'm fairly certain inexpertly assembled words is just a polite way of saying "You can't spell for shit."

Authentic Skeleton Noises. I wasn't even aware Skeletons could make noise from their jaw-like-area. Let alone speak without stopping for a breath and boring the shit out of the heroes.
That's more a case of badly chosen word.
Better choice would have been sentences, as in, inexpertly assembled sentences.

Also, badly placed words (like, unskippable hours long paragraphs of text/speech you have to wade through to get to anything of any relevance or fun).

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Malbourne said:
There's always a good method of delivering exposition in such a way that the player is not only not bored to death by it, but is actively interested in learning more. That said, Dragon Age seemed to deliver by truckload and dump it all over my character without any preparation. I couldn't keep up with all the lore entries and after a certain point I thought, "I'm just gonna kill things; let the chips fall where they may." Sometimes I wished there was a more expedient way to read lore, like flipping through the journal during the loading screens.
Although I can agree with you on some(many?) of the exposition dump sections of DA, I for one have always liked the idea of the journal entries in DA and Mass Effect, as most of them are not required to enjoy/understand the story at hand but if you are interested in learning more you have that ability to read them to expand and flesh out the world to a greater degree. I feel this applies more to Mass Effect's (at least the first) entries for me than DA, but I did read many of both.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
nyysjan said:
Ninmecu said:
nyysjan said:

That's more a case of badly chosen word.
Better choice would have been sentences, as in, inexpertly assembled sentences.

Also, badly placed words (like, unskippable hours long paragraphs of text/speech you have to wade through to get to anything of any relevance or fun).
That's what I'd figured, but I like the fact that I found a new way of saying "You can't spell for shit."