DLC for Dummies

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Just to comment on the time played, I talked to my roommate this morning and he said he finished it in about 4 and a half hours his first play through, 2nd play through in about 2 and a half. And I've been hearing from various other people on my steam friends list that they've done it in 4-5.
I personally have yet to get a crack at the game because my copy is somewhere in the mail...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
7 hours with co op and campaign... so yeah.... only a couple of the puzzles were difficult persay, and a lot were just trying to find a portalble surface that is far away/obscured.( not to say of course that I didn't like the game, it's GOTY so far for me, just commenting that my play time was not that long in comparison)

*edit (completely forgot to put my comment regarding the dlc)

I like Valve's style of dlc. It has 0 effect on the game, and the idiots that buy the stuff essentially pay for everyones future DLC in the game. Instead of having to pay for DLC, by having the micro transaction system that doesn't effect anything it's essentially a money generator for valve, and has the possibility of giving a little back to the community, with say, bonus maps :D

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
I always thought that Chell looked more Asian than Latino. Her reference model [http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Al%C3%A9sia_Glidewell] is Japanese/Brazilian, though, so I guess you could swing it either way.

Anyways, a good read. Maybe not your deepest article ever, but it's always fun to hear you rant.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
Complaints about the length is something I can at least understand; the singleplayer really is pretty short (I got about 7 hours out of it and I took my time to admire the scenery and listen to the banter). It doesn't bother me because Co-op will probably double that play time, plus there will be plenty of free user generated content when the SDK is released.

The complaints about the DLC (and, to a lesser extent, the ARG) truly are baffling.

edit: Apparently the Steam timer is broken, so my 7 hour playthrough is most likely wrong. Which makes sense, because the game definitely didn't feel like it took only 7 hours.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: DLC for Dummies

Shamus skewers the Portal 2 DLC backlash

Read Full Article
Fantastic article Shamus! I agree 100%.

Apr 28, 2008
Rednog said:
Just to comment on the time played, I talked to my roommate this morning and he said he finished it in about 4 and a half hours his first play through, 2nd play through in about 2 and a half. And I've been hearing from various other people on my steam friends list that they've done it in 4-5.
I personally have yet to get a crack at the game because my copy is somewhere in the mail...
Unless they're cheating or exploiting the game systems in some way, there is no possible way you, or anyone, can beat Portal 2 in 2 and a half hours. Even if you know exactly what to do all the time, it will still take at least 5 hours.

If they're going by what the Steam timer says, they should know that the Steam timer is broken. I once played New Vegas from day(about 5PM) to night(was 10 when I got off), and Steam says I played it for 2 hours.

Steam Timer is broken, it is not a good way to tell how long you've played a game. Best way to do that is to not the time when you start, and note it when you stop. Then just use simple maths to figure out the difference.

But Portal 2 is not 4 hours long. There is no possible way, except with cheats/exploits, to beat the game in under 5 hours.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
Sturgeon's law is the unfortunate explanation here. When he said 90% of everything is crap, he wasn't excluding sentient beings. Fortunately the fact that things tend to group with others of their kind protects us here. In this case it is within the dregs of our gene pool known as 4chan. Every now and again they escape their biological wasteland to pollute some other aspect of the Internet. Their opinion is irrelevant, as it is the sad product of a twisted, and malfunctioning mind. Do not care for them, care only for those who may be unwittingly influenced by their verbal vomit. Those who find the overall score, and do not see the twisted machinations that produced it. For while they are yet weak, they are still not without hope. For we can teach them critical thinking. They may learn that REVIEW SCORES DON'T F*@&ING MATTER. Rather more important is the analysis behind the score.

This is why I hate metacritic... people care only for the numbers.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
A lot of valve fans have a false sense of entitlement, possibly due to years of free DLC. Heaven forbid they have to pay for something that is not needed to fully enjoy the complete game.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Just a heads-up, Steam may not properly count the amount of time you spend in this game. After my first playthrough, it said 4 hours. I knew this was wrong, because it was FIVE A.M. The achievement times are buggy too. People need to learn how to use a clock and maybe even check if the sun is still up instead of blindly assuming that the time shown in Steam is the word of god.

I don't get the complaints about the DLC at all. Does anyone remember the campsite guy in Dragon Age: Origins? The one with the PREMIUM CONTENT QUEST? (EDIT: Ah.. didn't see it was referenced in the article. So, well.. that. Anyway.) That was the most jarring thing I have ever seen, yet nobody 0-bombed for that. This is all just petty bullshit and everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

DeadDodo

Undead King of the Dodos
Apr 2, 2010
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't even know Portal 2 had a DLC system, didn't miss [any of the game] at all.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
For about the 5th time in the last twelve months, Shamus Young is the only person making sense on the internet!

Here's a reality check for Metacritic bombing a**holes, real quick.

1) Notch is working as hard as he possibly can. He is not withholding content as a person insult to YOU.

2)Valve has NEVER cheaped out. No, not even Left 4 Dead 2. They never go to market unless they real and truly feel they have a product worth buying and they're damn sure it's finished. Hell, Portal 1 came on the orange box, arguably the best deal in gaming to date.

3) This is part hunch, and part rage against the bastards who murdered Cthulu Saves the World on XBLA Indie, in favour of a lacross game or whatever. YOU MAY NOT REVIEW A GAME YOU DON'T OWN. There is a word for that, it's called lying.

4) People pay $15/month to rent WoW. A good deal sure, given the hundreds of hours you can put into it, but isn't that basically "infinity dollars" over the long term? Or howabout 15 dollars for a map pack in Call of Duty, that not only segments the multiplayer base but seems like a terrible price to boot. Or, as Shamus points out, project ten dollar. Or hell, Online Pass systems being used to destroy used markets. All that is out there, right now, to be pissed about. You chose Portal 2. Good job, gold star.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
DeadDodo said:
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't even know Portal 2 had a DLC system, didn't miss it at all.
Yeah they practically hide the DLC shop considering the button is at the bottom of the main menu, even below the exit button.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Any dissenters are idiots? Ok I object to portal 2 DLC. I am not an idiot. I gave it a chance. But the fact is that the "sale items" were the things that you could unlock with achievements. And I mean these peaches were waved in your face once you clicked on "robotic enrichment." That means they suckered people into buying the only free things they could have. Gotta sell them first before people know how easy they are to get.
Now here is an idea that combines things. Have the sale items. Sell all the gestures you want. Then maybe you get free skins for any potato sack or valve games you own. Buy portal get 5 fun bucks for the store. Or better yet have Coke or Pepsi corp. pay the companies make and give out free coke or Pepsi skins cause I sure as hell would like to play as a vending machine. Maybe a free Cadbury Egg skin. That would be delicious, free, and drive up their stock prices.

Apr 28, 2008
mcnally86 said:
Any dissenters are idiots? Ok I object to portal 2 DLC. I am not an idiot. I gave it a chance. But the fact is that the "sale items" were the things that you could unlock with achievements. And I mean these peaches were waved in your face once you clicked on "robotic enrichment." That means they suckered people into buying the only free things they could have. Gotta sell them first before people know how easy they are to get.

Or, if you don't like the shop, you could just not buy anything.

None of it is integral to the game, none of it has any bearing on the gameplay, story, or anything really. Its just a bunch of cosmetic crap that you don't need. If you want to buy it, fine, if not, thats fine as well. Nobody is forcing you, or anybody else, to buy anything.

And the fact that the items can be unlocked with achievements gives Portal 2 dlc arguments even less merit. Since it further shows that you don't have to use the shop at all to get cosmetic stuff.

Now here is an idea that combines things. Have the sale items. Sell all the gestures you want. Then maybe you get free skins for any potato sack or valve games you own. Buy portal get 5 fun bucks for the store. Or better yet have Coke or Pepsi corp. pay the companies make and give out free coke or Pepsi skins cause I sure as hell would like to play as a vending machine. Maybe a free Cadbury Egg skin. That would be delicious, free, and drive up their stock prices.
And thats probably going to happen sooner or later. Although I'd hate for product placement to be in a game like Portal 2.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
mireko said:
Just a heads-up, Steam may not properly count the amount of time you spend in this game. After my first playthrough, it said 4 hours. I knew this was wrong, because it was FIVE A.M. The achievement times are buggy too. People need to learn how to use a clock and maybe even check if the sun is still up instead of blindly assuming that the time shown in Steam is the word of god.
I noticed that the clock was off as well. It claims I have only played the game for 3 hours, but I know I have played way more than that.

I question all claims to have completed this game in 4 hours or less. I am wondering if they are claiming this by the steam timer or actual time passed on a clock that is sitting there beside you.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
So a professional writer like Shamus goes out and uses expletives against the subjective reviews of a certain group of consumers who are well within their rights to voice their opinions - gah, poor attempt at trolling on my part, good job Shamus! :D

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Talk about kissing ass. And I thought fanboism had limits. I guess not reading now Shamus. How about just a few weeks ago when Bethesda announced that people we're still uying the horse armor DLC for Oblivion. I remember "the idiots" commenting(I might be wrong but the guy who wrote the artivle too) about how that type of DLC(fancy stuff) is the worse possible. And we're talking about a 2 dollar thing not what P2 sells. But I guess beeing an hypocrit pays more when talking to fanboys.