DmC: Devil May Cry Dev Talks Boobs

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"... you'll get a good, fun game with interesting angles..."
Yeah, terrible camera work will do that.

Hey-o!

Though, seriously, while I'm not a DMC fan, I did really love both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. The protagonists did actually feel real and actualized, with believable motivation and a wonderful characterization, specifically in a way that almost no other company has managed.

Hopefully they work out the combat issues that have plagued them for the past few games, though.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
If this game was being developed by Team Ninja, the girls would have giant jubbiles and be back in the kitchen with Samus.

Granted I've not been a fan of Devil May Cry, and whilst I do appreciate the attention to environment art and character development, Ninja Theory has always been a bit lacking in the Gameplay department.
One way or the other I appreciate the honest answers which feel a bit more colloquial than the professional, rigid, vague business statement that most game dev's have to put out (NDA's, etc).

Frankly Im going to leave judgement until its out and give it the benefit of a doubt, as opposed to obsessive 'DMC Fanboy' drooling that I see happening around anything concerning DmC. It diminishes all the relevant and good arguments because they're mixed in with the whining.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
If this game was being developed by Team Ninja, the girls would have giant jubbiles and be back in the kitchen with Samus.

Granted I've not been a fan of Devil May Cry, and whilst I do appreciate the attention to environment art and character development, Ninja Theory has always been a bit lacking in the Gameplay department.
One way or the other I appreciate the honest answers which feel a bit more colloquial than the professional, rigid, vague business statement that most game dev's have to put out (NDA's, etc).

Frankly Im going to leave judgement until its out and give it the benefit of a doubt, as opposed to obsessive 'DMC Fanboy' drooling that I see happening around anything concerning DmC. It diminishes all the relevant and good arguments because they're mixed in with the whining.
The bad writing and story in Other M is almost entirely the fault of the Nintendo employed writer, not Team Ninja. We've still never seen the Team Ninja script idea for Other M, but apparently it was reportedly a bit better, if a little fan-servicey.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"We did that in Enslaved with Trip. People loved her, not because she had big breasts and high heels, but because she felt like someone who could be your girlfriend," he said.
So, woman who enslaves a man so that he'll have to do whatever she says or be destroyed = girlfriend.

Ninja Theory apparently still hasn't figured out this whole not being misogynist thing or Mr. Antoniades made a very poor choice of words.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
MrHide-Patten said:

The bad writing and story in Other M is almost entirely the fault of the Nintendo employed writer, not Team Ninja. We've still never seen the Team Ninja script idea for Other M, but apparently it was reportedly a bit better, if a little fan-servicey.
Frankly any sentence containing 'Nintendo' and 'Writing' never ends well. As far as female characters are involved Nintendo has a poor track record. Zelda has to dress up as a guy to perform a heroic role, Samus had to go undercover as a dude to get the game bought, in Princess Peach's game she gets her powers from Emotion (because its their biggest weapon fella's. wut).
I hate to say that its entirely because they're a Japanese developer, but I would be dismissive if I denied that women don't get a lot of love over there.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
What. the. flying. fuck.

Did game developers all start catching a bad case of the "political correcties" lately? I mean, Tomb Raider, Soul Calibur, now Dead or Alive and DMC........

We understand the desire to make slightly more realistic and "normal" women in games. We somehow feel guilty for this and that we should and try and fix it. Thats ok.

But the method to fixing it should be to create new original characters and stories, rather than fucking established franchises up. Its particularly egregious when you do it to series that are known for their characters being a certain way.
You refer to Soul Calibur, and yet Ivy still exists. As well as the new jailbait ninja taking Taki's moveset. Talim left, sure, but now we have a 16 year old in spandex. Think what you will, there is no political correctness here. I'm still ticked about there being no plot to arcade mode anymore, endings were always the icing on the cake, but I digress.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
MrHide-Patten said:

I'd like to see a dialog patch and an expansion pack, because there was a lot of wasted potential. A less-whiny Samus and a better explanation for why she wouldn't use her best powers despite being in mortal danger would make my day, but that may never happen. Does Nintendo even do any kind of DLC ever?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Nieroshai said:
Paragon Fury said:
MrHide-Patten said:

I'd like to see a dialog patch and an expansion pack, because there was a lot of wasted potential. A less-whiny Samus and a better explanation for why she wouldn't use her best powers despite being in mortal danger would make my day, but that may never happen. Does Nintendo even do any kind of DLC ever?
We don't actually know the specifics of the Team Ninja story - Nintendo made them scrap it waaaay before it would've even gotten the "leakable" story stage for theirs instead. But when the issue was still a hot topic more than a few gaming websites had snippets of information from the devs or from interviews that painted the Team Ninja story as at least starting evolve into something somewhat passable.

At the very least, it didn't sound like she was taking orders from anyone and she didn't have a "freak out" moment.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
" He's a decade and a half younger than me, way better looking..." he said. "The only thing he's got is black hair. And he's male. I didn't design the character. I didn't go to our designers and say, 'I think it's a really good idea if we make the new Dante look like me, because I want to be in the game.' They'd laugh at me. They'd throw me out the window.
Answer: "I wish I was that guy. it's my secret alter ego".

Hey, it's understandable. Just own up to it.

Also, I can easily debunk that claim that boobs do not belong in the game:
*Ahem*
Trish and Lady.
And I rest my case.

It's not like the other games have been sexualized (NEW WORD?) as he thinks. Dante hasn't had a romance with anybody, at least not officially. The worst thing I can think of is when he acquires Nevan in DMC3, and that's not even close to something perverted. And I mean officially perverted, like...tits.

I agree with the whole idea of not shoving boobs at us so that we buy the game. But this just proves these guys are bullshitting us. I don't know; I just don't like them. Even if they do a great game, it's still DMC. Do your own game with your own name. Don't just take an already existing franchise and attempt to piggy back ride it based on its popularity.

And also...
This is not maturity. This is a step towards a different kind of immaturity.

And am I the only one thinking that this guy had an unhealthy relationship with his mother growing up. The whole "resting my head on breasts" comment strikes me as a guy baring a bit of his soul right there in a P.R. interview. That combined with his view on prostitutes is painting quite a tableau of his life in my brain cinema.

"God I love tits!" He cries while out at a strip bar.
"give me the finest tits available to humanity." He screams at the madame.
"More bounce you curs!" he shrieks, whipping the m.i.t. scientists, coding his physics.

But beyond the locked door of his chambers, beyond the titorium and the titorrery and the titting pool in his back garden. In his darkest and most naked moments of self examination, when he stares at the pale reflection of himself in the mirror on his many sleepless nights. He wonders...

"why do I like tits so much?"(TITS BECAUSE YOU'RE A TITS MAN TITSTITS) the reflection answers.

"It's more than that, I desire tits more than is socially acceptable"(GLORIOUS TITS COMPLETE US)-grins the moonlight spectre

"tits are (TITSTITSTITS!) -meant to be together and yet I only feel complete (TIT!) -when I am amongst them"

"Is it because?"

(TITS)

"...I am"

(BIG JUICY TITS)

"...the biggest tit of all?"

Realisation hits him like a splash of cold water on a white t-shirt. He punches the mirror breaking it as he breaks away his own delusion. He stares at the shattered reflection in the sink. Outside a flock of birds is startled by a cry. They were blue tits.
Wow, that is one of the greatest "fuck you" fanfics I've ever read. Spicy.
Oh, god. There's something really wrong with me because that made me laugh. A LOT. I hope I'm not a tit man myself.
So much meaning, so true...trolling at its best.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Lunatic said:
The Japanese games industry desperately needs more females.
Ninja Theory is British. The gaming industry in GENERAL needs more females. The Western side might need it more because they're getting big-headed due to believing they're more "enlightened"

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Therumancer said:
To be honest, I agree with you about popularity not always equalitying Quality, but at the same time quality titles that aren't massively popular tend to gain some kind of cult following of a sort I've never seen with Enslaved. When people talk about games, even game nerds, it's not a title I see come up much, even as a cult classic.
The difference with Enslaved there was that it just wasn't good enough to hit the cult-hit mark. It was a well above average game, but sadly it just missed that status.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Britisheagle said:
Wow, this interview actually makes him sound pretty down to earth, and actually quite funny whilst making valid points.

Good to know really. If sex appeal is a big deal to sell a game, they must believe their game goes above and beyond other games of similar nature in order to take that risk.

Personally? I'm glad, over sized boobs make no sense. Big is fine, over sized is just comical and quite degrading in a certain manner.
Yeah, he sounds like he has the right idea.

I mean, I still don't expect to see a female protagonist a game that is over the age of 27, but at least he seems to have some idea of what is going on.

I'm seeing an increasing number of devs trying to use the girl from Ico as a model for likeable female sidekicks. Hence that princess in the 2008 Prince of Persia or the girl in Enslaved. It's kind an improvement, in that those characters take a slighty more active role, but my problem is that we're still relying on the same stereotype as "man: the physically strong hero, protagonist and problem solver" and "woman: supportive healer, yet also a weakling, trouble-maker who needs a guy to solve her problems".

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Warachia said:
hermes200 said:
Sylveria said:
Also, how is gaming going to move forward if the developers of big IPs are too lazy to use a new engine and keep churning out crap with Unreal 3 which is how old now? Even shooters are starting to move away from Unreal Engine and that's the genre the engine was made for.
Hell yeah!!! There is nothing more important than shinny graphics in games.
We need MORE games that take over 6 years to make because they have to rewrite the engine every time and still look dated. Give us more games that take like Final Fantasy XIIIs, Final Fantasy Versus, Duke Nukem Forever or Grand Turismo 5 to make.
It will be totally justified once the game is released half a decade later (although they may have to throw it away before working on the next game) with a fraction of the features other games in the genre have. Why working on superfluous things like gameplay, mechanics, netcode and story when you have better things to do, like reinventing the wheel.
Yes, because when I think Devil May Cry, I think slower paced combat with small amounts of enemies and tons of platforming.
There are far better engines to work with, and since when in their argument did he say they only wanted graphics? They just said the engine is outdated, which it is, and do you honestly believe that because it is an older engine, they'll focus on gameplay more than the graphics?
When I think of Devil May Cry, I don't think of cutting edge graphics and technology, that is for sure...
I do think Japanese developers has an unhealthy tendency to create new engines for every mayor game they make, trying to have better graphics and more lighting effects... and then throw it away for the next game. I think that is the epitome of inefficiency, one of the reasons why Japanese developers are behind the curve, and the explanation why games like Marvel vs Capcom has only 3 iterations in 13 years (make no mistake, Capcom would milk a franchise dry if he could, as he recently proved). I also think that is the reason why (since 7) we only see 2 or 3 numbered Final Fantasy in every generation. 3 Final Fantasy games, in a 10 year spam. How long did SE spent in the Crystal Tools engine... 5 years, right? If any of that effort were spent in creating a better experience and story, I am sure FF13 would have been a far better game. Look at Valve for another example: they have been using the same basic engine since Half-Life 2 (8 years ago), yet their games are still benchmarks in quality because they choose to iterate on gameplay instead of graphics.
I also think Unreal 3 is a pretty good engine, and still capable of pretty impressive results (like Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City). Dated? yes. Obsolete? Not so much.
So, no. I don't think "moving forward" means investing in things that other people does and use, and work perfectly fine. I don't think its required, needed or even advisable. Ninja Theory have used Unreal 3 in the past and I think they have proved they can handle it. I don't think they will put all of the time they could get from not making their own engine into gameplay, but if they choose to do it with at least one fraction of it, it will be the right call.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
hermes200 said:
Warachia said:
hermes200 said:
Sylveria said:
Also, how is gaming going to move forward if the developers of big IPs are too lazy to use a new engine and keep churning out crap with Unreal 3 which is how old now? Even shooters are starting to move away from Unreal Engine and that's the genre the engine was made for.
We need MORE games that take over 6 years to make because they have to rewrite the engine every time and still look dated. Give us more games that take like Final Fantasy XIIIs, Final Fantasy Versus, Duke Nukem Forever or Grand Turismo 5 to make.
It will be totally justified once the game is released half a decade later (although they may have to throw it away before working on the next game) with a fraction of the features other games in the genre have. Why working on superfluous things like gameplay, mechanics, netcode and story when you have better things to do, like reinventing the wheel.
Yes, because when I think Devil May Cry, I think slower paced combat with small amounts of enemies and tons of platforming.
There are far better engines to work with, and since when in their argument did he say they only wanted graphics? They just said the engine is outdated, which it is, and do you honestly believe that because it is an older engine, they'll focus on gameplay more than the graphics?
When I think of Devil May Cry, I don't think of cutting edge graphics and technology, that is for sure...
I do think Japanese developers has an unhealthy tendency to create new engines for every mayor game they make, trying to have better graphics and more lighting effects... and then throw it away for the next game. I think that is the epitome of inefficiency, one of the reasons why Japanese developers are behind the curve, and the explanation why games like Marvel vs Capcom has only 3 iterations in 13 years (make no mistake, Capcom would milk a franchise dry if he could, as he recently proved). I also think that is the reason why (since 7) we only see 2 or 3 numbered Final Fantasy in every generation. 3 Final Fantasy games, in a 10 year spam. How long did SE spent in the Crystal Tools engine... 5 years, right? If any of that effort were spent in creating a better experience and story, I am sure FF13 would have been a far better game. Look at Valve for another example: they have been using the same basic engine since Half-Life 2 (8 years ago), yet their games are still benchmarks in quality because they choose to iterate on gameplay instead of graphics.
I also think Unreal 3 is a pretty good engine, and still capable of pretty impressive results (like Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City). Dated? yes. Obsolete? Not so much.
So, no. I don't think "moving forward" means investing in things that other people does and use, and work perfectly fine. I don't think its required, needed or even advisable. Ninja Theory have used Unreal 3 in the past and I think they have proved they can handle it. I don't think they will put all of the time they could get from not making their own engine into gameplay, but if they choose to do it with at least one fraction of it, it will be the right call.
Honestly, I agree with most of your points here, the two reasons I did the reply was:
A)You put words in the mouth of somebody who said the engine was older and there were better engines for the game, and B) Because while the Unreal 3 engine can produce surprising results, this is a game series that Unreal 3 really doesn't work well with, simply due to its gameplay style, and again, there are better engines suited to that style, just because one engine is good, does not mean you should use it for everything you can simply because you didn't want to learn something new.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Warachia said:
hermes200 said:
Warachia said:
hermes200 said:
Sylveria said:
Honestly, I agree with most of your points here, the two reasons I did the reply was:
A)You put words in the mouth of somebody who said the engine was older and there were better engines for the game, and B) Because while the Unreal 3 engine can produce surprising results, this is a game series that Unreal 3 really doesn't work well with, simply due to its gameplay style, and again, there are better engines suited to that style, just because one engine is good, does not mean you should use it for everything you can simply because you didn't want to learn something new.
A) Might be. When I read "moving forward" and "old", I immediately jump to "We need better graphics" (because that is what most people think when thinking about engines). I know its unfair, but its accurate 90% of the times. If I misinterpret it this time, I apologize.
B) I would honestly like to know which engine you have in mind. A modified engine from DMC 4 or Bayonetta would be good (if it wasn't proprietary); but I still believe they can better spend their effort making the game good than making it look good.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
hermes200 said:
A) Might be. When I read "moving forward" and "old", I immediately jump to "We need better graphics" (because that is what most people think when thinking about engines). I know its unfair, but its accurate 90% of the times. If I misinterpret it this time, I apologize.
B) I would honestly like to know which engine you have in mind. A modified engine from DMC 4 or Bayonetta would be good (if it wasn't proprietary); but I still believe they can better spend their effort making the game good than making it look good.
You guessed it, I would have recommended a modified DMC 4 or Bayonetta, simply because they fit the gameplay well, I didn't have any problems with either games combat, the issues I had with both were mainly graphical problems, not that they weren't good enough, but that I found they blurred together and were confusing which you don't want in a fast paced game, or extra elements that they added to the gameplay like bad platforming, and I do agree with you that I hope the put more effort into gameplay than graphics, as I consider gameplay stronger and the thing people will remember when the game is over.

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Sylveria said:
So he's calling Lady a prostitute and claiming that Enslaved had redeeming qualities? I hate this guy more and more every time he opens his mouth.

Technically I think he's calling any woman with big boobs a prostitute. Which means I won't be showing my wife this article, it would hurt her feelings.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm one of few people who seemed to absolutely love Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. Yes in terms of gameplay they're both pretty shallow and I can't imagine Dante's combat system will change the minds of hardcore fans or redefine 3rd person action but it won't be bad and hell even looks like a tonne of fun just as their last two games were on top of having some of the best presentation, motion capture, acting and writing of any games ever.

I feel like this studio gets way more hate and dismissal by jaded, angry and sad cynical gamers than they have ever deserved if at all.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
So is this game ever going to come out? Seriously it's been like 3 years and we don't even have a release date. It can't be that hard to make, can it?