DmC, should I get it?

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Why don't you try out Devil May cry 4? It's like £6 at computer exchange (UK)

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I was really considering getting this game, but then I played the demo for Metal Gear Rising, and immediately left to pre-order it
its extremely kick ass. it has a great soundtrack, a never seen before cutting engine, and really good bosses
it is kind of short though, the first play through taking anywhere from 7-10 hours. afterwords they load you up with overpowered crap and lets you destroy that boss who gave you trouble the first time around.
great game, would recommend!

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
Its not a bad game. never played the earlier ones but i got this one and enjoyed it. It won'y make my top five games of all time...its really short and pretty easy so unless your planning on 100%ing the game you might want to wait for the price to go down

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)
I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

To say that I agree. I found it refreshing to have Dante and Vergil as actual characters rather than anime clichés.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
anthony87 said:
Lunar Templar said:
I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)
I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

To say that I agree. I found it refreshing to have Dante and Vergil as actual characters rather than anime clichés.
Okay... You guys asked for it LET'S GO... Have a nice cup of tea and discuss this further, we seen to agree on this matter when most people seem to disagree.
I always thought that Dante was a bit too Mary Sue and annoying.

"Oh you get shot in the head by the girl who's life you just save? Maybe this wouldn't had happen if just put her on the ground instead of shaking her around and wisecracking, you fucking prick."

Yeah, new Dante is a prick also, but at least he was some doubt and some conflict to make me relate to him a bit more.
Plus new Dante reminded of Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho, very awesome anime that I fucking love and I hate anime.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
anthony87 said:
Lunar Templar said:
I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

The part I found the most appealing was unlike DMC3 that they seemed to like each other, Virgil having actually been looking for Dante for the seeming sake of having his brother back (as well as all the other stuff). It made the falling out between them more meaningful then in 3, where they just didn't seem to like each other much to begin with.

Diablo2000 said:
Okay... You guys asked for it LET'S GO... Have a nice cup of tea and discuss this further, we seen to agree on this matter when most people seem to disagree.
I always thought that Dante was a bit too Mary Sue and annoying.

"Oh you get shot in the head by the girl who's life you just save? Maybe this wouldn't had happen if just put her on the ground instead of shaking her around and wisecracking, you fucking prick."

Yeah, new Dante is a prick also, but at least he was some doubt and some conflict to make me relate to him a bit more.
Plus new Dante reminded of Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho, very awesome anime that I fucking love and I hate anime.
I'd have never thought to compare him to Yusuke, but I call totally see it now that you mention it, good call (and yes Yu Yu Hakusho is awesome :D)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I'd say yes

I havnt gotten very far in but I'm having so much fun with it.....its a bit silly and not exactly subtle but if your not a fan of the orginal I'd say go for it...I kind of like its crazy art direction

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes,and a million more times Yes.

It's got a good story, good characters, solid fun combat, great art direction, great level design, and it's soundtrack is fantastic.

I really enjoyed it and I don't often like these hack and slash style action games, but DMC:Devil May Cry was definitely very good and very enjoyable.
Worth 60 bucks, no doubt, at least for me.

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
It's a good entry level... whatever you call this kind of game, I'd get it, and if you like it, get the DMC HD collection

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I would get it, just wait for a price drop.

I found the levels to be beautiful, and although many people complained about the story, I really enjoyed it. "Doesn't fit Dante's origin story". And? It's a reboot, just take it for what it is and try to enjoy a new ride. Although I did HATE Virgil in the game (he was destroyed from his previous self in the other games) I didn't mind Dante's character change. He was an ass in the beginning, and as the game progressed like any good protagonist he began to change and develop.

The battle system was a little challenging. Now the game itself on normal mode is piss easy so that helped, but the battle system itself was annoying to get used to. so many buttons for different things had me often confused and making multiple mistakes.

The boss battles are also rather disappointing. One or two were fun, but the others were very simple and I was able to defeat in only a few minutes.

Go try it out! I promise you wont be disappointed.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
anthony87 said:
Lunar Templar said:
I'LL COME AT YOU!!!

I was looking forward to this game's take on Dante and Vergil. In the end, all I can say is: I'll take 2 'anime clichés' over 2 'almost shakespearian' dull characters with nothing to say no motivations.

OP: Without going further into my criticisms into this game (That you likely won't even care about since you're not a fan of this genre) I can say that this game might suit you.

It's rather ease-of-access and complete story reboot should be appealing to anyone who hasn't been into the franchise, or been a fan of spectacle fighters. The fighting system itself is fairly decent, and I can see it being engaging and rewarding for you.

The real question is, whether or not this game is worth the price tag to you? Are the type of person that will play this game through once, and never again? (I've gone through the game on all advanced difficulty levels and have just about 30 hours into it) My first time playing through the game, it was about 7 hours long.

So if you will only play this game once, I'll hold off until a price fall or stick to a rental.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Oh hell yes. It's got awesome combat that's as much fun to watch as it is to play. The visuals are fantastic, and the creatures range from bizarre to genuinely freaky. And while the story is pretty simple, but it's presented excellently and the characters moving it forward are interesting and enjoyable to watch. Totally recommend it.

The Wykydtron said:
I never cared for the old DMC games really. I bought the HD collection just to see what the fuck everyone was raging about and my god, some of the gameplay decisions were baffling. Why are there endless fetch key, open door sections in a freaking hack and slash game? DMC4 was cool and all but the backtracking was horrible and that castle level early on almost made me quit entirely because it was so boring.

I only finished DMC3 because DMC1 was too stiff and DMC2 is apparently garbage and not worth anyone's time. I only finished DMC3 because I love Vergil. If it wasn't for the three Vergil boss fights I would have never finished DMC3 either.
Do you recommend just skipping the others and just playing DMC3? I got the HD collection too after playing DmC, but I found the first game really slow and kinda repetitive. I've heard it only gets worse in DMC2, but that 3 is supposed to be the best of the original series. Do you miss anything just skipping to 3?
You miss nothing going to 3 because 3 is a prequel to the first two games. It's partly why people didn't like DMC2, Dante got old and jaded, wasn't making jokes and was just generally super serious. That's what I hear anyway, and i've heard people go on about the guns being ridiculously good in DMC2.

DMC3 has this younger Dante rolling around never being serious and insulting every boss and/or character he comes across which is a good thing I suppose. It has decent combat even though it retains the fetch key, open door elements for some reason. I still think if it wasn't for the interesting relationship between Dante and Vergil, DMC3 would have been nothing short of awful. Vergil, the other good boss fights and the occasional funny line from Dante carries the game as far as i'm concerned.

upgrayedd

Sep 2, 2012
Wait for price drop

if you like a generic hack/slash game with very pretty world design it's for you

If you care about the main character and story dont, It's written by a 3 year old (all DMC's were). If you want to mash buttons, Juggle enemies and look at pretty stuff, its a pretty fun game.

I had fun.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Do you recommend just skipping the others and just playing DMC3? I got the HD collection too after playing DmC, but I found the first game really slow and kinda repetitive. I've heard it only gets worse in DMC2, but that 3 is supposed to be the best of the original series. Do you miss anything just skipping to 3?
Quite the opposite actually, it is a prequel and the first game in the storyline.

DMC3>DMC1>DMC4>DMC2

I know, it's a weird timeline.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
The boss fights are somewhat dull, but otherwise I really enjoyed it. Wonderful aesthetic design, clever structure, a nicely complex combat system that isn't just difficult for difficulty's sake*, and a fun if not terribly deep story. I bought it at the full price and I had no regrets. I'd say that you're bound to like it so long as you aren't hugely attached to the previous iterations.

*I'm looking at you, DMC III.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Diablo2000 said:
Play the demo first, if you like it then yes, get it. If not then not get it, simple as that.
I agree with this. I played the demo and it convinced me to buy it. Looking forward to the Virgils Downfall DLC.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
it's a decent game on it's own but depending on how much of a dmc fan you are it could be disapointing.
i always found the older dmc too be a bit too on the hard side. it really sucks beating a level only to be rewarded with a D rating and getting a couple of souls to maybe upgrade something so you can attempt the next level. at least the new dmc is user friendly (maybe too much so)

if i had to advise an alternative i would definately say bayonetta but both the darksiders games are pretty solid hack and slashers as well