DNA and Kalros

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
DNA and Kalros

This week, Gavin talks about writing heavy metal and experimenting with movie-themed music.

Read Full Article

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Always interesting to read all the stuff behind the songs.

"One second, doesn't Miracle Of Sound only do videogames?

One second, doesn't Metallica only do thrash metal?"

Burn!

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I know you said a lot of interesting stuff there but what I took out of it is that you like Meshuggah and that's AWESOME!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I didn't like either of them, partly because of the lack of lyrics and partly because they weren't my thing. But experimentation breeds riches so unless it leads to an actual change in direction I don't see myself tuning out any time soon.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Nicely done Potatoborn. Made me giggle a bit, and you made music even more confusing for me since I now know that math is involved (curse you math!).

Also, I keep reading Meshuggah as Megahug because I are teh dumb.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
*So* sad there will never be Metal Gear. I always thought the plot was amazing...then again, I like huge tangled conspiracies.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I have to admit that after giving Kalros a second chance I do like it a lot better.

I still don't like DNA though. An intro longer than the song can work if the payoff is good enough, but this one just didn't do it for me. I guess it's just not my thing. Plus the lyrics just kinda rub me the wrong way.

That being said, DNA is pretty much the only song I don't like since... I don't even know when. Before Sovngarde Song, at the very least. So yeah, that's pretty amazing. I am a real person!

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
So that explains why even though I got the 5/4 time down, keeping the beat of Kalros still didn't feel quite right to me. I don't think I've heard any songs that mix time signatures with different instruments like that, outside of ones that can share a common beat like a 6/8 and 2/2. Hmm, maybe after a few more listens and I can really get into the grove of the song now that I know this. So really nice work, man!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Another good read Gav, they always are actually. I liked Kalros, though DNA just didn't do anything for me. And your replies to comments are always hilarious.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Now that you've mentioned it, the meshuggah inspiration seems obvious.

I did pick up on the NiN inspiration on DNA though.

Always good to see you try new things out, does no good to just sit in your comfort zone.

edos63

Apr 5, 2012
Never herd of Game of Thrones? Good one Gavin. Hilarious! Wait... you were joking, right?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I agree that DNA was too short. But then again I'd say Crucible and Beauty Bleak were too short!

I just want 10 minute songs! Is that too much to ask?
Ok yeah, maybe it is.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
:eek: Really? I for some reason got a Distured vibe from Kalros. Especially in the way guitar works in it. I thought it was pretty sweet. Only thing that bothered me was the fact that your voice was a bit too high for such music. When I listen to music like this, I prefer lower vocals. But that's just me.

Already gushed about DNA a lot, still love it.

Also think Andrew WK is awesome.

Hm, so... You say DNA is probably not the last movie song? I'll just go to my happy place and hope for Star Trek song when the next movie comes out.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
I love all your songs and the fact that you do these encore posts only makes it better.
Also "Personally I love that style of music, though I can understand it may seem boring or dull to those not gifted with much of an attention span." BURNED DUDE, BURNED.
Also interesting to learn about the different beat timing thing in Kalros, I didn't know people did that.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
maxmanrules said:
Also interesting to learn about the different beat timing thing in Kalros, I didn't know people did that.
Yep. There are many bands that do it in a far, far more complex and difficult way than I did too! Check out Meshuggah, their stuff is amazing.

Loethlin said:
Hm, so... You say DNA is probably not the last movie song? I'll just go to my happy place and hope for Star Trek song when the next movie comes out.
Yup more movies songs coming very, very soon ;)

soren7550 said:
Nicely done Potatoborn. Made me giggle a bit, and you made music even more confusing for me since I now know that math is involved (curse you math!).
LOl Potatoborn :D Someone's been looking at my Skyrim mod pics haven't they?

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Will you make a Game Of Thrones song?

Game Of Thrones? What's that? Never heard of it.
Suspicious, Gav... Either:
-You really don't know Game of Thrones, which is nearly impossible.
-You were just making fun of the guy.
-The next song will be about Game of Thrones.

I'll go for the third option. What will it be? A cover of The Bear and Maiden Fair? Or perhaps The Rains of Castamere? Or a completely new song? We shall see!

At any rate, keep it up I really enjoy these encores.
By the way, have you played Spec Ops: The Line? I think it'd make a great song.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
waltersedan said:
Never herd of Game of Thrones? Good one Gavin. Hilarious! Wait... you were joking, right?
I was about to say the exact same thing. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but come on.

Anyway, yes! Great job, Gav!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
soren7550 said:
LOl Potatoborn :D Someone's been looking at my Skyrim mod pics haven't they?
I have no idea what you're talking about Potatiskiin.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
"this game has amazing graphics" XD love that line.

I really like how these look backs/recaps/review/etc. are readble in the time it take for the song to end. i love listening to it AND reading about it so see if my opinion sways in any way while im listening.