DnD?

lionsmane

Dec 26, 2007
dnd is great. Im usually dm, and its a great outlet for creativity. if we were going to play online i would say that IRC might be a better option. someone could set up an eu and a us server. what do we think?

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
I played for a few years, but had an ass DM who kicked me out because I wouldn't put up with his on-the-fly rules designed to screw me over and intent to make my play as hard as possible.
Ah, the good ol' PKDM. You know you're in for trouble when the DM is looking through the Monster Manual and says "Ooh, those look cool".
Yaaaaa, that can be a bad time.

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
I played for a few years, but had an ass DM who kicked me out because I wouldn't put up with his on-the-fly rules designed to screw me over and intent to make my play as hard as possible.
Ah, the good ol' PKDM. You know you're in for trouble when the DM is looking through the Monster Manual and says "Ooh, those look cool".
Or when he's practically rocking in his non-rocking chair, or grinning ear-to-ear, or suddenly impatient at the player's post-combat looting op. THEN you should check your spell list for Teleport.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Saskwach said:
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
Or when he's practically rocking in his non-rocking chair, or grinning ear-to-ear, or suddenly impatient at the player's post-combat looting op. THEN you should check your spell list for Teleport.
Or when he says "I need more d10s"

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
zen5887 said:
Saskwach said:
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
Or when he asks what your AC is and then replies, "Oh good, I can cover that with a roll of 4."

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
DeathWyrmNexus said:
zen5887 said:
Saskwach said:
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
Or when he asks what your AC is and then replies, "Oh good, I can cover that with a roll of 4."
Or when he keeps his Monster Manual carefully concealed while flipping through his other books for rules clarifications. Odds are he's looking up Level Drain for a succubus encounter or reviewing grapple for his Mind Flayer.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
Saskwach said:
DeathWyrmNexus said:
zen5887 said:
Saskwach said:
Larenxis said:
Nerdfury said:
Or when he keeps his Monster Manual carefully concealed while flipping through his other books for rules clarifications. Odds are he's looking up Level Drain for a succubus encounter or reviewing grapple for his Mind Flayer.
Or the sudden "Everyone give me a will save"... Not fun when playing a fighter not really stated for intelligence...

I only started last year (DnD 3.5, Forgotten Realms) but it's incredible how a game can suck you in.

I still remember my first game... Epic level evil game.
Nothing quite beats going into a village where the villagers are begging you to kill the mindflayer terrorizing them, only to strike a deal with the mindflayer and trick the villagers to hiding in his lair... I have no idea how my DM came up with that one.

I kinda miss it now... I'm stuck in Japan and as far as i'm aware, DnD isn't big here...
To be honest, an online game sounds like a god-send...

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
I've been playing PnP DnD for years, now, and am highly anticipating 4th ed. I don't fear for any interfering with the standard rules, as I always seem to skew them a bit as a player and as a DM.

I am very proud of my completely original two classes, the Brighter Spirit, a base-class hardcore Monk variant, and the Waterway, my own version of an Ooze Druid. The fact that you can do this, and you can as long as the DM wills it, means that as long as you keep it balanced, the game never runs out of creativity: I felt that the main classes were close to my preferences but not quite there, so I edited them a bit.

I love DnD. You should try a game set in modern-day locations/times and see how that goes. It fascinates me that even DnD can be converted pretty much seamlessly to fit different times- some weapons change and some don't, not unlike Warhammer vs. 40K- sure, they got guns and plasma blasters, but they also retain chainswords, axes, and knives. It's all so sweet.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
I used to play casually, but Uni got in the way. I still have a soft spot for a Pulp D20 game, or All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but I never have the time.

I still hold dear in my heart the 3-day Lovecraftian roleplay I DM'd, a source of so many, many bizarre improvisations and events. Two-headed giant badgers, anyone?

Objulen

Feb 21, 2008
I've played PnP DnD for the last few years. My favorite characters are a kobold true necromancer of Chronepsis and a Black Ethergaunt who goes by the name Mr. Anderson, since only another ethergaunt can pronounce his true name.

My favorite settings are Planescape and Darksun.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
I've been planning to get into 3.5 for quite a long time now. I'm a Baldur's gate player and regular reader of the Order of the Stick, Nodwick, and occasionally the Wizards' forums, so the mechanics are pretty familiar to me; however, I've never actually gotten a group together.
I hope someday my halfling werebear paladin with an int penalty will see light...
A funny link on the topic of tabletop and LARP:
http://theglen.livejournal.com/16735.html

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
I've been unable to find a regular group at my college. Seems that by the time I find out about a new game, it's filled up. I miss my old DM - he was very flexible and willing to integrate new characters even when that brought the party size to >6.

So I've been applying to PbP games everywhere. I'm involved in a d20 modern game now, a D&D game that will start soon, and I've applied to another D&D game. But I could always find room for another PbP.

I don't stick with a specific character type. In general, I don't play pure arcanists (excluding warlocks) since once their spells run out, they're not very useful. I also never play stupid characters. In general, my characters will be bastions of common sense. I often play clerics, though one of my all-time favorite characters was a fighter with a magic musket (1d12+2d6+5 damage/round).

I also like playing good guys. If the game allows LA races, good chance I'll play either an aasimar or a tiefling who fights for good. Most of my characters have good intentions - my last rogue was chaotic neutral only because he was willing to use questionable means to achieve his goals.

And I sometimes play opposite gender. If the character concept feels right as a female, I'll play female. Hit on my characters at your own risk.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I played D&D a bit, but it didn't seem to have a whole lot of depth to me. It could have been the GM/DM's I've played with, but there just didn't seem to be a lot of flavor with the classes. I found RIFTS to be a great replacement, but some people I played with found D&D to be a bit better for them. I guess it comes down to what you like and what you were brought up playing/first introduced to.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
I've been trying to find a D&D group 'round here for ages. I've got the books, a character planned and all I need now is a sodding group since I don't want to do a PbP for my first time.

Nickolai

Feb 22, 2008
Been playing for a year, only three games however. I DMed the fourth. I did my best, however, our group was very....strange.

Basically, my PC was captured, and the others had to rescue him. I built a prison, invented a magical security system, and even had a few special characters (was planning to build in a Big Daddy for a boss fight.)

Unfortunately, there was some arguments we had over stuff, and just shit stupid things some people did. Our samuri took it upon himself to burn down the forest surrounding the prison, despite my assertations that he would die. He did die, and we didn't resurrect him.

In the end, we just stopped caring right after my guy was rescued, and my friend's guy was captured by an enemy cleric mercenary. It was....interesting.

And yeah, if someone were to set up something on that myth-weavers thing, I'd join in.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I play GURPS (it's still RPing, 'cept a different rule-set. We use a lot more D6 for one) in my sport time, with friends. It's pretty fun. Still love it, after 2 years or so. Nice relaxation time for the week.

Edit: Specially with the bitchiness that is Year 10...