Do american's dislike canadians?

Korahn 27

Apr 7, 2010
Dango said:
It's more of a joke hate for most people. We just like to call them backwards and make fun of them for saying words like "about" differently.

EDIT: I'm aware that Canadians don't say "aboot", but from spending lots of time in Canada I can say that most pronounce it "Abouoot" as opposed to the more American "Abowt".
Well, when I worked for Equifax (yes, Canadians handled American credit reports, mwah ha ha!!), I would sometimes purposely pronounce it "aboot" to make the callers laugh. Although once, without playing up the Canuck accent, I was actually asked if I was from the Martimes (EAst coast Canada). Although we all had to lie and say we were in Georgia.

elbowlick

Jul 1, 2009
ProZack said:
One of my greatest friends is Canadian, I have nothing against them, other than their bacon being ham.
Ironic Pirate said:
It's more of a friendly rivalry.

I still have some enmity to them for that nasty trick they pulled with "Bacon".
We just call bacon bacon. I don't know how that ham thing got started, maybe it's like Tex Mex or American Chinese food.

Shynobee said:
However, I quite like the perks of living so close to the Canadian border. Since the drinking age is 19 there, its only a quick 20 minute drive over the bridge so I can hit up a bar with my friends.
It think its 18 in most other provinces, that how it is for mine anyway.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing a cop on a horse and I live in a city that adopted a cowboy theme for some reason. I have never heard anyone say ABOOT without irony either, then again I live in the West. THE MORE YOU KNOW!
One more thing: you're welcome for Reboot. We should probably finish that one of these days.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
conflictofinterests said:
dex-dex said:
EdwardOrchard said:
It definitely isn't all Americans, but every now and then, you get a little gem like this:

How is that suppose to be funny?
They come off as they don't even have two functioning brain cells. and do they think that Canadians don't have access to Fox news?
There are beaches in Canadia on which running in Capri pants in feasible? I thought it was freezing cold like, all the times?
We can only frolic on the beaches in our best white capris about four months of the year.

THESE ones specifically
That is when it is perfect frolicking weather.

Blue2

Mar 19, 2010
I'm Canadian but I don't hate Americans (only the stupid, lazy ones) but I think the US media show little or nothing good about Canada other then free healthcare. For example, King of the Hill was one of my favorite TV shows but seen a major blow in the Canadian's stomachs (IMO) is Season 13, Episode 18 "Uh-oh, Canada" where shows a Canadian family as jerks and creating an image that we are like them. I can take the whole "slow", "naive", "dumb" that some other shows showed us as but jerks has crossed the line.

Also Just found out from youtube, Extra Credits is Canadian also.

Apprentice1994

Aug 17, 2011
We don't HATE Canada at all, we just stereotype Canadians like we do all nationalities. Sure, we will complain about Bieber, but we'd say that to whatever country he came from. We'll make fun of your accent, and maple syrup, hockey, and all that jazz, but that's just our nature. It's all just stereotyping, most of us just use it as a joke. Whenever you hear someone poke fun at a Canadian by ending a sentence with "eh?" take it as a joke. Play along a little, it's all in good fun.

Blue2

Mar 19, 2010
Azurian said:
You gave me this Canada I could never hate you. You made my Saturday mornings so so so so awesome

Wow, that's one of my childhood shows I never thought any American would ever reminisce.
I love to watch reboot again

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Canadian here, and you don't even need to know that. Nationalism is one of the stupidest things people can do. People who judge other people based on country have thinking akin to racists and the like. Then again, all that I really see making fun of Canada is the US media. It kind of makes sense, considering that the people who buy your media wouldn't want you to believe that our 'leftist' system actually works. People may hate other countries based on politics, but that never has anything to do with the people in that country.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
I think the "prejudiced" is lighter than brothers picking on each other. I went to school with a couple and they didn't get any sort of poor treatment. Like, at all. No one cared. One was actually quite popular.

So yeah, I really don't know what you're talking about, unless you mean when we joke about the accent at times. I'm from the South, even other Americans joke about other American accents, don't take it personally.

Reaganomics

Russian Roulette Runner-up
Jun 14, 2010
Darthbawls77 said:
I love my northern brothers and sisters but I have to say they seem to hate on americans alot.
It usually isn't the American people that Canadians hate, for the most part it's the policies of the government and interference in our political affairs by American companies and the government.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Bobbety said:
Dango said:
It's more of a joke hate for most people. We just like to call them backwards and make fun of them for saying words like "about" differently.

EDIT: I'm aware that Canadians don't say "aboot", but from spending lots of time in Canada I can say that most pronounce it "Abouoot" as opposed to the more American "Abowt".
I bet other people have probably asked you this (even in this same thread), but where are the Canadians you've heard say "Abouoot" from? Because I've lived in B.C. all my life and never heard anyone say it in any way other than "Abowt"... that is aside from people doing impressions of Canadian accents.
Ontario and Saskatchewan. And to be clear the best way to spell out what I've heard most Canadians say is "Abow-oot", and I've heard a similar pronunciation on LRR.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Redlin5 said:
Dango said:
make fun of them for saying words like "about" differently.
TO DATE I have never heard anyone say "about" "aboot" unless they were doing it ironically.

In anycase, most Americans I talk to love to make fun of us but don't actually hate us. We're too awesome for that.
The only Canadian show I have ever seen is Trailer Park Boys and they say aboot but whenever I see canadians in American shows I never hear them say it so I don't know.

OT: Americans like Canadians. We joke about them sometimes but not in a hateful way.

Quextamon

May 21, 2010
I'm American, and personaly have never met anyone who went passed a couple of tasteless Canadian jokes, nor do I know anyone who has met someone like that, so I would say no.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
werty10089 said:
Canadian here, and you don't even need to know that. Nationalism is one of the stupidest things people can do. People who judge other people based on country have thinking akin to racists and the like. Then again, all that I really see making fun of Canada is the US media. It kind of makes sense, considering that the people who buy your media wouldn't want you to believe that our 'leftist' system actually works. People may hate other countries based on politics, but that never has anything to do with the people in that country.
Wow, an angry Canadian. And here I was assuming that all Canadians were calm and timid!

BRB, saying the Pledge of Allegiance to The Greatest Geopolitical Unit in the Universe - THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! - while shedding a single tear to an eagle flying overhead.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I like canada more than America. It just seems like a far nicer place to live. Tonnes of stuff I like was made in Canada.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm American and I don't hate Canadians. In fact one of my friends happens to be Canadian.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
You guys are alright.
Free medicine, cool looking bacon, the type of enviornment I like, and don't parts of canada get sunlight for like 23 hours during early summer?

People must hate 'cause jelousy.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Speaking persoanlly, Canada produced LoadingReadyRun. And I'm not being snarky when I say thank you for them, Canada :)