Do Gays Not Exist in Bioware's Star Wars?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
That Dude With A Face said:
I love star wars more than ever now! No gays!

Good for Bioware for sticking to their guns...unlike Microsoft....who apologized to them.
I want to laugh, but it just wasn't funny.
Of course, I only want to laugh because if you were serious, I'd have to insult you, and frankly I'm too tired for that.

painfull2006 said:
Im not homophobic <---yes you are but I do not believe any type of homosexual content belongs in video games

Its an MMO and if i recall they said in the star wars universe, so its not like they have decided this, its just the way it is
Prefacing a statement with "I'm not [racist, homophobic, sexist, etc] doesn't mean whatever comes after it isn't [racist, homophobic, sexist, etc].

Anyway, the part of this that really outrages me is that they censor profanity on their forums.
How could they?
G*ys.
Gosh.
Haven't you learned anything from South Park? You have to be a *** to say *** or you will get beeped. See?

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
painfull2006 said:
Im not homophobic but I do not believe any type of homosexual content belongs in video games

Its an MMO and if i recall they said in the star wars universe, so its not like they have decided this, its just the way it is
Everything before but tends to just mean nothing.

I'm not racist but I just don't trust whitey. See? When you start any statement with "I'm not _____ BUT" it tends to mean you are.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I don't think that BioWare is adverse to homosexual options in their games. Look at Jade Empire. Hell, you could be straight, gay, or have a 3-way! THAT was new territory.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
T-Blade said:
Hm, the words might not exist in star wars because there is no prejudice about such trivial things?
Sadly, Mr Dahlberg is not from the Star Wars universe, he's from ours.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Kukul said:
Star Wars is a part of my most precious childhood memories; sorry, but I don't want any gayness in it.
I hope Bioware won't turn the next game set in the Old Republic into a Gay Pride parade because of this incident.
My thoughts exactly.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Wow, no homosexuals are allowed in Star Wars? That's not offensive at all (/sarcasm). Atleast Hitler had the decency to acknowledge that the Jews existed before killing them all.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Wow, no homosexuals are allowed in Star Wars? That's not offensive at all (/sarcasm). Atleast Hitler had the decency to acknowledge that the Jews existed before killing them all.
Only 27 posts till Reductio ad Hitlerum. Fallacious argument!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Undead Dragon King said:
ElephantGuts said:
Well I do always make a point of bringing Hitler into conversations. But I don't think that detracts from them. Quite the opposite, I find references to Hitler, Nazi Germany, or the Holocaust as extremely useful tools with which to make points by comparing them to the topic at hand.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
cainx10a said:
MaxTheReaper said:

Good for Bioware for sticking to their guns...unlike Microsoft....who apologized to them.
I want to laugh, but it just wasn't funny.
Of course, I only want to laugh because if you were serious, I'd have to insult you, and frankly I'm too tired for that.
I would be glad to attempt to do it for you miiiilord.

The Dude With An Ugly Face, go uninstall life. Vamooosh!
Nice tag-team.
But honestly, the censoring issue? Who gives a crap...I'd prefer that they didn't apologize, as that just seems to be a bs move to me. I don't like that they did censor the words, as I think that is a stupid thing to do, but I can respect the decision made by the people in charge. They just need to deal with the situation.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Undead Dragon King said:
ElephantGuts said:
Well I do always make a point of bringing Hitler into conversations. But I don't think that detracts from them. Quite the opposite, I find references to Hitler, Nazi Germany, or the Holocaust as extremely useful tools with which to make points by comparing them to the topic at hand.
No. It just doesn't. If you compare everything that you disagree with to Hitler and Nazi Germany, then it detracts from your argument itself. Saying that BioWare not catering to the desires of a portion of a small minority who may or may not be even interested in playing the game compares to the organized murder of over 6 million people is simply childish. Think of something else to compare it to. We'd all appreciate it.

Crimsoneer

Dec 24, 2008
T-Blade said:
Hm, the words might not exist in star wars because there is no prejudice about such trivial things?
Seriously? this man has it. Right now we have quaint little categories, but once the galaxy is populated by hundreds of species and sexes going at it, do those categories make any difference?

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Either way, Bioware handled the entire thing rather poorly, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the issue rear its head again down the line. This isn't the sort of matter that just dies down quietly, after all.
So "Bioware" is synonymous with the one guy who was tasked with handling this problem on the community forum?!

I've been administrating a forum for years and one of the biggest challenges is the fact that bad trends in existing threads usually don't get reported. People just take it into their own hands to "correct" the problem by firing off ever-more-aggressive insults. By the time this comes to the moderator's attention, it's usually so bad that everyone involved deserves to be beaten over the head with the banhammer.

It sounds like Dahlberg panicked, which is understandable given the circumstances.

Low Frost

Nov 6, 2008
ElephantGuts said:
Undead Dragon King said:
ElephantGuts said:
Depends on where you are from. A little history delving will show you that there has been tragedies on the level of the Holocaust and greater that recieve a mere fraction of the attention. I have noticed that depending on where you are from and what schools you went to, the Holocaust and its insidious details are more stringently taught than others.
And back on topic, the issue at hand is actually very minor in how it applies to the Star Wars universe.
In the canon fluff, there are few, if any mentions of the sexuality of the people of note. Even then, the only time it actually seems to be of concern is when the offspring of Commoner W and Jedi B ends up becoming Jedi/Sith E. I think it's a situation that sorta precludes the universe Star Wars takes place in, and would twist the vision of it for someone's selfish goals.
On the other hand, many game devs have realized that you can't exclude an idea on the simple basis that someone might not like it. Homosexual relationships do exist, and whether or not you agree with them, you will not prevent them from being there, and to explore the idea of a role-playing gtame, you need to present the most amount of options to make the characters player truly represent themselves and what they want.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I couldn't give a rats ass if they put beastiality into the game, and given that bioware is pretty open minded about same sex relationships I honestly believe it to be a mistake, since some use the words as insults, and it's nice that they changed it though.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008

Why's that? What is wrong with homosexuals appearing in games? KotOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect had some sort of same-sex relationship. Need I remind that KotOR is, in fact, Star Wars?
Oh, and since when is apologizing wrong? I think what Microsoft did was quite admirable after that fiasco generated by a bigoted, childish, homophobic adolescent. Which is what, it seems to me, you are.