Do I deserve to be spat on for saying this to a gay person?

Jun 16, 2010
I wrote the title in first person so it'd be more immediate and attention-grabbing, but this actually happened to a friend of mine (yeah right, I'm sure you're thinking). Though it could hypothetically happen to me.

My friend and I have discussed how we feel about homosexuality, and we generally agreed that we accept it as long as it's not annoying or obnoxious, just like everything else. We don't like gays going all "look at me, I'm so gay!" just as we dislike emos going "look at me, I'm all deep and dark!" or political extremists or whatever. We're both friends with a gay guy, and we treat him the same as anyone else (I mean, we "tease" him about it, but he doesn't mind, and he slags us right back. Everyone's got something to rip on).

But one thing was that it always creeped me out to see guys kiss. I don't think I'm really alone on this. It's like the equivalent of watching someone pick their nose. It's just... eew. It's not something I have any control over, it just disturbs me on a fundamental level. People have been throwing slogans around like "homosexuality isn't a choice, but homophobia is", and I'd have to say that if being a bit disgusted by men kissing is homophobic, then it really isn't a choice. If I had a choice, I wouldn't choose to be disgusted by anything. (On a side note, I always hated the word "homophobe". 'Homos' means 'one and the same', so 'homophobia' would technically mean 'a pathological fear of things staying the same')

Anyway, here's the thing. Recently my friend and his friend went to see Inception (I think), and the cinema was fairly empty, except for these two other guys in front of them. And halfway through the film these two other guys got bored, for whatever reason, and started making out. And my friend was distracted, and grossed out, and couldn't enjoy the film properly. So, never being one to suffer in silence, he gently (according to him) said something alone the lines of "here lads, would you give it a rest? We're trying to watch a movie". And then, one of the guys turned and spat directly into my friend's face.

This apparently resulted in a big brawl (as all things in Ireland inevitably do), and everyone was ejected from the cinema. The local newspaper even caught wind of it, spinning the whole thing to sound like some sort of hate crime riot.

So, what do you think? Was my friend being intolerant, and deserved what he got? Were the homosexual couple being rude, and should've stopped when asked? Did they overreact? Do you think gays in general seem to be more intolerant of people expressing their feelings about homosexuality than heterosexuals are? Or do you think the homosexual community should take a zero tolerance policy to any form of discrimination?

I'm not really sure what to believe.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
They were being rude. Your friend was justified in asking them to stop. They were there to view a movie. Not to (as the English say it) snog.

Its sad the papers rolled it as an anti gay thing. If it was a man and a woman I'd tell them to stop, its ridiculous.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
No one deserves to be spat on. The person'se a douche, sure, but they could just be the bigger person... At least, in the case ofif the friend did something wrong...

The friend was in the right completely on this one. The two guys should be drawn and quartered for being the worst people I've read abotu today. Others go to hte back. If one can't do that... FUCk them.

EDIT: Did he do any good amounts of damage/win?

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Would your friend have done the same for a heterosexual couple? I think that this sounds like a misunderstanding, but the reaction of the "lads" was understandable, given the prevalence of homophobia.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Damn news papers blowing everything out of proportion. I think your friend was justified in telling them to stop.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Ya'll need to take a chill pill. Major overreaction by all parties involved.

How can a couple making out be distracting during a film (unless ofc they're moaning and generally making a nuisance of themselves)? But, spitting ain't no good comeback either as long as the guy complaining is being civil.

James Joseph Emerald said:
'Homos' means 'one and the same', so 'homophobia' would technically mean 'a pathological fear of things staying the same')
True dat. Homophobia has two meanings, one being the fear of monotomy, sameness, the other is fear/hatred of homosexuals, fear of becoming one.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
My best friend is a gay man. I'm not using that to qualify what I'm going to say next. I don't really mind how anybody feels about what I say next.

On topic, no, your friend didn't deserve to be spat on. If anyone, whatever their sex, wants to make out in a cinema, they should take their significant other out of view of people. I'm not against public displays of affection, but the cinema is an activity area where everybody around you has payed for a certain experience. Don't screw it up, or they have every right to follow you out of the cinema and beat the living shit out of you.

Off topic, spitting on someone is about as degrading an act as you can accomplish with so little effort. My response would have been overwhelming violence, and I commend your brawling buddy. I only hope that 'brawl' is your polite description of what was a one-sided beating of the dirty little bugger who did the spitting. He deserved to be taught a brutal, hospitalising lesson.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
He didn't deserve it. The fact that they were two gay guys mattered not - if it had been a guy and girl it would still have been annoying I'm sure.
Thing is, some people will roll out the -ism card. If they are gay they may accuse you of homophobia, if they are of a different ethnicity, they may accuse you of racism. I'm not discriminating by saying that - unfortunately it is the truth.

Also, that pees me off too. I go to the cinema to watch a film, not watch people kiss. Hey, I've even been with girlfriends and told them, politely, to fuck off I'm watching the film.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
So, never being one to suffer in silence, he gently (according to him) said something alone the lines of "here lads, would you give it a rest? We're trying to watch a movie".
I bet he didn't really say it like that, or had a certain tone to his voice which led to the spitting. It would have been obvious that a comment like that would lead to such a reaction. Your friend could have simply moved and avoided the confrontation in the first place.

DeadMix

May 30, 2010
ohgodalex said:
Would your friend have done the same for a heterosexual couple? I think that this sounds like a misunderstanding, but the reaction of the "lads" was understandable, given the prevalence of homophobia.
I don't think it was understandable, it was an asshole thing to do no matter what gender you get friendly with.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
If he was spat on for telling two people to stop making out in front of him, then his actions are justified. The person who spat is an arrogant Fuck who should be beaten to death, regardless of sexuality. If your media changed it round to make it look like a hate crime, then I have lost all faith in humanity. How can we possibly get past homophobia if gays(excuse me if this is offensive) and the media keep 'reminding' people of now nearly non-existent discrimination in increasingly annoying ways, only to just make people hate them more?

Fuck the two people making out and the fucking media (excuse my language).

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
ohgodalex said:
No, they were just being dicks. I've had many similar experiences with heterosexuals(especially in theaters).

Also, @OP don't feel bad about feeling disgusted at watching 2 guys kiss. It just means you're wired differently.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Put it this way, if it wasn't 2 guys in front of you, and it was a guy and a girl and them making out would be distracting, and you said the exact same thing, would you deserve to be spat on then? No, of course you fucking wouldn't. Its not about being gay, its about being decent and having respect for other human beings. They wanted to make a show of being out in public doing whatever and in turn they ruined your movie. You being pissed off is nothing to be ashamed of, they were acting like dicks and they fucking knew it. Despite the fact that no one cares if they are gay, they are still hostile and feel like they have to prove a point just because they are gay. Them doing what they are doing is completely unjustified, not kissing in public, that's fine, but spitting on someone because they asked you to stop distracting them, are you mad.

They need to learn the fact that just because you can be gay and no one gives a shit, doesn't mean you can act like a dick and think you get away with it.

I would ask for a refund personally.

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
Two people kissing in a theater, no matter what two people, is a tad impolite. It's not a kissing booth, it's a movie theater, for crying out loud. Your friend was justified.

rescuer86

Apr 12, 2010
I have been in the same boat as your friend. Homosexual couples don't like to see hetero couples make out either. I have that on good authority. So, no your friend didn't deserve to be spit on. Having said that, I am a hypocrite as I have done far worse in the theater.

As an aside, as an Irishman living in Canada, I would just like to point out the fact that even the *ahem* (to quote Stan's grandfather from South Park) "poofters" are down for a brawl. I love being Irish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE0q5cSmhaM

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I thought for sure going in here that I was going to say "yes, you deserve to be spat all over." but you and your friend did nothing. Except maybe get into a brawl, but as you said, it's Ireland.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Wow. What a prick. I hate it when people try to pass off something as a hate crime, when that's not the issue at hand at all. Whether it be sexuality, race, gender, religion, etc.

It's just a get out clause for people who know they're in the wrong, but refuse to accept it, so bring up an issue that's taboo to argue against. It's really pathetic.

It's ridiculous how we've reached a point in society where a white, heterosexual, Christian or Atheist male is always in the wrong.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Well you could have just ignored it and watched the movie (you know like, the reason you're there in the first place). But no, asking them to stop was not deserving of spit in the face.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
In my opinion, there's no question that the spitter is in the wrong. Don't disturb people who are trying to watch a movie. That's all there is to it.