Do I deserve to be spat on for saying this to a gay person?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
No,you friend's actions were completely justified. Even if it were a heterosexual couple it would be justified, people come to watch movies like Inception because it's a good movie. If you want to make out in a movie theater, Inception is the wrong choice of movie.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I would have just let them do there thing, because im guilty of making out with my girlfriend doing a movie, and im not going to be that guy that calls people out on stuff I do myself, but the guy shouldent have spat at your friend, so no, he was ok.

violetgadfly

Sep 10, 2010
So just to give some context on what I'm about to write, I've worked and volunteered for a number LGBT (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender) organizations since I came out years ago.

First of all, "gay" is not a noun, it's an adjective describing a person. So someone can be a "gay person" but you cannot be a "gay". You'll almost never hear anyone come out by saying "I'm a gay". It's not quite like using some more derogatory terms for gay people(like a certain word that begins with F), but its definitely not PC.

Ok, now let's talk about the notion of acceptance versus tolerance. When you say that you are accepting of gays as long as it's not too in your face, then you do not accept gay people, you tolerate them. Now, don't get me wrong, this world would be a much more comfortable and safe place for members of the gay community if everyone was a bit more tolerant, but there would still be something missing because of a lack of acceptance. Imagine if you couldn't feel comfortable going out in public and being yourself, holding your partner's hand, wearing your favorite t-shirt, and so on... all because people looked at you differently whenever you did in a way that made you feel uncomfortable. That's what it's like to be tolerated, but not accepted. And that kind of discomfort can make a person very on edg and stressed out.

You have to understand, that most gay people deal with quite a bit of discrimination and homophobia in their lives, and back in the day you just couldn't be publicly gay at all without experiencing discrimination, imprisonment or worse.

What your friend did, by asking them not to make out, was remind them that they live in a world where sure, they're tolerated, but not truly accepted and all because he felt a bit of discomfort when guess what, they have to deal with that kind of discomfort on a daily basis. Now I'm not saying that it is, but consider the possibility that it might self-centered to insist that gay people cater to YOUR comfort when people rarely show them the same courtesy.

I hear lots of people say that it bothers them to see gay guys kiss, but rarely do I hear them really analyze why it bothers them. You say it bothers you on a fundamental basis... but what does that mean? Maybe the real reason is that it's just something our society trains people to be bothered by, because the general population tolerates but doesn't truly accept gay people. Think about it, if you grew up in a world where gay people making out in public was as normal as straight people doing it, do you think you'd still feel disgusted every time you saw it or would you just accept it as any other form of PDA (public displays of affection). There are lots of reasons gay affection can bother people, so ask yourself what the reason is instead of saying that it's just fundamental because that's a cop out.

Now as far as the particular incident you mentioned, yes you're friend was being intolerant. Now, if had the same reaction toward a straight couple making out in front of him, then I would say he was being intolerant of PDA, not homophobic. Now if he had been tolerant, he would've been bothered by the affection but said nothing and maybe moved to a different seat where they wouldn't have bothered him as much. If he had been accepting, he wouldn't have been bothered at all.

Now should they have responded by spitting on him? Of course not. That was an overreaction but honestly, it's hard to deal with discrimination on a regular basis without snapping every once in awhile. It's no excuse though, and they picked a fight by spitting on him. But I am curious to know exactly HOW he said it because 90% of language is body language and tone, so only 10% of what you say is the actual words that come out of your mouth. So if he had said the same words differently, it might have solicited a different reaction. Or maybe they were looking for an excuse to vent their frustration on somebody.

I guess if you take anything from this excessively long post, it should be this: If we can tolerate the fact that not everyone will accept us, you should be able to tolerate us being ourselves. It's simply unreasonable to expect us to cater to YOUR comfort level if you can't do the same for us.

TheWwwizard

Nov 13, 2010
The guy who spat on your friend is a dick, doesn't matter if he's gay or not.

Jedoro said:
Who the hell sits down front to make out? I take my girl to the top row, like a courteous couple.
Also this, if you're going there to make out at least take it to the top row so you don't bother anyone else. It's what I've done in the past, of course I'm more considerate than someone who would spit in somebodies face just for asking them to tone things down.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
TelHybrid said:
Wow. What a prick. I hate it when people try to pass off something as a hate crime, when that's not the issue at hand at all. Whether it be sexuality, race, gender, religion, etc.

It's just a get out clause for people who know they're in the wrong, but refuse to accept it, so bring up an issue that's taboo to argue against. It's really pathetic.

It's ridiculous how we've reached a point in society where a white, heterosexual, Christian or Atheist male is always in the wrong.
Darn, I'm a white, hetero, atheist male who used to be a Christian. Waaah.

But I A: doubt your friend said that EXACTLY and B: it is impolite to kiss in a cinema where there are other people. Damn, had it been a guy and girl or even two girls and they were getting irritating, I would ask them to stop and would not expect to get spat on.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Nah he didn't deserve to be spat on, as you said your friend was acting semi polite not enough to make the other man spit on him, if anything I would have clocked that guy if it was me that was spat on.

Tirin

Oct 17, 2008
Those gay guys are dicks. That's a ridiculous response to being asked to stop making out during a movie.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
So, what do you think? Was my friend being intolerant, and deserved what he got? Were the homosexual couple being rude, and should've stopped when asked? Did they overreact? Do you think gays in general seem to be more intolerant of people expressing their feelings about homosexuality than heterosexuals are? Or do you think the homosexual community should take a zero tolerance policy to any form of discrimination?

well... Since Inception was such "GREAT" movie, he shouldnt have been distracted.

But in all honesty, I think the fault lies in both parties. Yes, they hsouldnt have spat on him, but on the flip, he shouldnt have gotten all pissy about things. Would he have done the same if it were a man and woman? Could he not simply have handled it a little better, POLITELY, asking?

Personally, I think they shouldnt take shit. But then again, I know a few gay people (of both genders) and its wrong they should take crap because people are close minded after some 2000+year old book tells them to be. However, they need to handle the situation better. Just remember, two do not speak for the community.

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
It does not matter who or what you are, getting spat on should be countered with a punch on the face- not just a regular one, but a Falcon Punch punch.

Blame it on Ben

Oct 15, 2010
It's hard to give a justified answer to his if you don't know exactly what your friend said. Not to call your friend a liar, but he may hot be telling you the truth as to what he in order to have your support. This is assuming that the man that spit in his face was rational and not just a crazy mo fo.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Going by what you've written, I'd have done the same thing even if it was 2 girls or a guy and a girl. It's just distracting. The 2 guys payed to see a movie. If they were bored and wanted to make out, they could have left and gone somewhere else. Your friend didn't deserve to get spat on.

Nov 10, 2010
I'm not against gays or gay people, and all people have the right to be respected and treated fairly. However though I am respectful and couteous to all people including gays, I even have several gay friends; spokespersons for gays and gay rights label me a homophobe for believing homosexuality is wrong. I don't mean to offend but is that outside of my rights? Does that make me a bad person? My family is Christian and so those are my beliefs, am I to rebel against 21 years of teaching? And yes I do hold christian beliefs willingly, my belief system isn't a dry remnant of political socialization. Just wondering if that makes me a bad person. I don't think so, but many disagree.