Do members of the military get too much respect? What profession do you respect the most?

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
I want to be a teacher, but there is no way i would think for a second that it warrants more respect than a member of the Armed Forces, if they are willing to die to protect our way of life, then they should get more respect than anyone else.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
GamerMage said:
flamingjimmy said:
Yes I think soldiers are glorified far too much, they do a much less important job than teachers, ambulance drivers, doctors.

In times of national emergency, where soldiers are actually needed, then yeah its a very admirable thing to sign up. But in times like now, where soldiers aren't dying for their country, they're dying for the corporate interests within their country its just a load of bullshit. Its a job that they chose, don't give me any bollocks that they're doing it for me, or you, or 'the people', that's just not true, even if that's why they think they're doing it.
I'll believe whatever I want,thank you very much.
?!?! Where did I say I want to control what you believe? People really do get far too defensive on this forum.

GamerMage said:
I don't know what's going on in politics these days, maybe I shouldn't,but I have, for the longest time, Have respect for our armed forces. Sure,the miltary nut is a common trope,but I'd like to ask this:Do you think they enjoy the taking of a another person's life?
I'm sure that some of them do, and some of them don't.

GamerMage said:
I'm just curious. What's your beef with them?
I know about 6 people who joined the army from my school, and to a man, they were all assholes who were bullies at school and clearly enjoyed violence. I'm sure there are lots of nice people working within the military as well but the fact remains that the military will always attract violent bullies and give them the opportunity to be even more violent and even more of a bully.

Also, fuck nationalism: the very worst ideology in human history, responsible for more deaths than any other, military philosophy is closely linked with nationalism as is the sickening level of glorification that the military get. 'Dying for your country' is not a virtue in and off itself, and it concerns me that a lot of people seem to think that it is. Most soldiers are just pawns whose deaths do absolutely nothing to improve the lives of civilians in their countries, except for the few at the top. The military serve the 1% not the 99%. I'm sure that there are soldiers who truly believe they are serving for the sake of their communities, and whose motivations are pure, but they are just deluded imo, brainwashed by the stupid nationalist myth that 'dying for your country' is an admirable thing to do.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
Scarecrow1001 said:
I want to be a teacher, but there is no way i would think for a second that it warrants more respect than a member of the Armed Forces, if they are willing to die to protect our way of life, then they should get more respect than anyone else.
I'm sure that a lot of soldiers do sign up for those reasons, wrongly.

They are not protecting our way of life, that's just ridiculous hyperbole being sold to you by the powers that be.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
GamerMage said:
So basically, you can argue that soldiers do far less good in this world than doctors, or teachers, or paramedics. You might be right, I don't really know or care. But soldiers have agreed to, if necessary, die for their country, and that makes every last one of them a goddamn hero.
As long as this sickening nationalistic myth perpetuates governments will continue to use our young men as pawns. They aren't dying for you, they are dying for them, they and you have been lied to.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
I'm gonna say they deserve all the respect they get, especially today, as people tend to give them loads of shit about how pointless the wars they fight are. Sure, some soldiers are in the military for the wrong reasons, and should be treated with less respect, but respect nonetheless. I think they are still very brave, and that's where my respect comes from.

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
I came to the conclusion "No one cares" years ago shortly after witnessing a car cut off a blaring fire engine.
Does that count yourself in as well?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
How is invading another country to remove a dictator you yourselves put there, blowing up the locals and being cruel to puppies anything like "Dying for your country"?

In fact, the only people dying for the country and the "Terrorists" and locals.

No, my respect goes to doctors and teachers.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Batou667 said:
I've never really been swayed by the whole "soldiers are heroes" argument.

If they were directly protecting their homeland against foreign invaders, then yes, that would be pretty damn heroic. If WW3 started, then every last soldier who fought to protect my country would earn my eternal respect. Hell, I'd probably enlist myself.

But soldiers fighting in current conflicts? I don't wish to sound ungrateful here, but somebody who goes to far-flung countries to kill the natives and is driven more by the pay than a pressing need to protect the motherland... isn't that the definition of a mercenary?
lol yup, pretty much. part of me has considered joining the navy, but unlike my overly patriotic friend who wants to 'serve his country', I don't give a damn about this country, nor do i feel any patriotism to it. If I enlisted, I would consider myself more of a mercenary than anything, as I would just be doing it as a way to pay for f-ing college..

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Scarecrow1001 said:
heheh, I almost gotta wonder how foolhardy are many of the people are who go into teaching; you can always tell apart the new teachers: that glint in their eye, that energy in their voice, that "i'm gonna make a difference" attitude. all it seems to take is just a few years of teaching to kill that attitude, and slowly make some of them dead inside; atleast thats what I remember from highschool. Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for people that do put themselves in that situation, but I can't help but wonder if some of them don't know what they're getting into..

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
I respect firefighters and ambulance officers more than I respect soldiers.

Not to say I don't respect soldiers. I certainly do - I just respect the others more. They see blood and guts too. They see innocent people be blown apart too. They go through hell too.

But they don't take others down with them. That's the difference.

Scarecrow1001 said:
They are protecting it, if they hadnt fought back in WW2, then we would all be speaking German
People aren't questioning the respect given to veterans of World War 2. This thread is about current military servicemen, who aren't really fighting Good VS Evil anymore. It's far more grey and there are more things going on behind the scenes.

By the way, if the Germans had won world war 2 - we wouldn't be speaking German. That's stupid. Stop saying that.

Deepzound

Oct 20, 2010
Do trained killers deserve respect for what they do?

Respect the people who propel society forward, and develop the world we live in, not those who are trained to take societies apart.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
How about if we judge people on what they have actually done, not what their profession might lead them to do. A lot of people do a lot of good, without expecting 'some respect' for it. Doctors, nurses, soldiers, they all entered their profession for their own reasons, unconditional respect from strangers is pretty worthless, I'd even go as far as to say it's awkward - people tend not to like generic praise based on an ideal that is being imparted onto them.
I work in IT, I fix kids laptops for free, save people money, and generally do what I can to help people with computer problems. Now that's not being a soldier or anything like it - but it earns me respect, I have a cabinet full of hard liqour because people buy me bottles to say thank you, that's the sort of respect you can actually appreciate. Soldiers and Doctors are human, they are capable of selfishness, ignorance, and douchebaggery just like everyone else.

I just think that people should be more prepared to listen to what people have to say before handing them a big bowl of thank you, because that's not respect, respect is listening to what people have to say, valuing their opinion, then show your appreciation (if you have it), it means a helluva lot more then.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I have NO respect at all to the military.
I've jet to see a military that is there to defend the country, not to invade others.

I have respect of medical worker, but real medical worker, not those who will let you die until you pay. Also firefighters. And those are the only professions that should bring respect, that is if done right. Any other has to earn my respect.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
There's been a lot of these threads lately...

All have the same mix of people who support and oppose the military, most of whom (on both sides) fail to understand (despite my saying it NUMEROUS times) that the Military does not equal Combat Infantry.

Most of what we do in Afghanistan, and Iraq before it, is trying to make things better for the people who live there - build them schools, hospitals, etc. etc.

... Anyway, I'm bored of these threads now, so I'll finish with this for those who keep saying they have no respect for those in the military:

"It is not the Critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again. There is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed, who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause. Who at his best knows the triumphs of high achievement, and who at his very worst, if he fails, he fails whilst daring greatly. Thus is is that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat".

Also:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press,

It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech,

It is the soldier, not the Campus Organiser,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate,

It is the soldier, not the Lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial,

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves under the flag
Whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag".

... Just a couple of things to consider, but hell, you're all entitled to an opinion (and should it come to it, I'll gladly defend your right to that opinion).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Greni said:
This pretty much, if I may say so without being instantly hammerbanned for breaking whatever ridiculous rules our internet overlords have suddenly decided upon.

It sure seems like a fine deal to travel the world, wear a cool uniform and kill and maim foreigners on demand, but surely there are other ways to spend your time and gaining the respect of your fellow man, like say, not killing other people?

The military, in my mind at least, is a governing tool to use. In the right hands it may very well serve the good of the people, but as we are reminded time and again, the government, of any country, does not give a rats arse about the "good of the people". They care about their fat rear ends and those around them. Which in this case would be equally fat businessmen with their own agendas. They send their puppets to war for personal gain and the puppets, if alive, get out of parking tickets, as mentioned above.

I speak as someone who's from a country that has no army, so it's merely an observational point.

Edit: OT: A profession as a whole that I have a tremendous respect for are teachers. It's biased as I know a fair amount of them, but that way I know that their job can be hell at times, the pay (here at least) is laughable and the general view of their contribution is disgraceful. But they soldier on (pun intended), do their job and are basically preparing the next generation to inherit, and take care of, our mess. The educational system on the other hand is a whole other story.
I know a lot of folks who have gone into the military, even. People will sometimes see my stance and act like I don't care.

No, I just think it's stupid to assume these guys do it for me, you, or apple pie.

I think it's even worse to assume they're actually prepared to die for any of the above.

Of my friends and family, I can tell you the THOUGHT they could die occurred to maybe one of them. Now, I know personal anecdotes are not typical, but it does eliminate the "they're willing to die for my country" line, because clearly, not all are. And I am surrounded by military folks. My small-ass state, Vermont, is proportionately number one both in terms of National Guard members sent overseas and in casualties of the same. That's just the Guard. My friends are mostly Army or Marines. So far, nobody I know has died, and if they're lucky, they won't.

And I want them to come home safe, in part because they're my friends and in part because I don't want people dying. Period.

After 9-11, some new recruits were talking in Wal-Mart about how they had signed up to kill "ragheads." Again, not noble. Using the military as an excuse to murder people is sociopathic.

And some do sign up to travel the world, because that's what the brochures used to say. Don't know about now, they finally gave up trying to recruit my crippled, hippie ass.

My cousin signed up because it's the only way he'll see college. Let me tell you he has NO intent on killing or dying for anyone.

But still, we wipe it clean with the "serve our country" and "die for us" memes. There are severely higher instances of rape in active service, but we wipe it clean because they're willing to "die for our country." Drug use? Meh, they're serving our country. We should be proud to have violent drugged out rapists representing us to the world!

Teachers do deserve a lot more blanket respect, because with no tools and no money they are expected to churn out positive results. There are still bad teachers (which baffles me; why take shit pay for a job you hate?), but they really do get crapped on. Especially in AMURRRRRRICA where education is bad and you're bad for being educated. Though I wonder who's gonna make all those cool toys to kill people with without education.

God bless any luddite movement that involves still being heavily reliant on technology. It's so adorable.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
General respect, I'm perfectly okay with. You do a job most wouldn't and since it concerns the nation's safety(even if there are no immediate threats) it deserves at least some bit of respect.

Close-minded idolization though, that I can't stomach. Some of the people in the military are deranged and some are worth little more than a spit in the face. The average person I can respect, the reckless idiots or the confirmed murder-machines, I scorn. They're still people, they can still do horrible things and under no circumstance can I accept those going unpunished, if anything, I'd make the punishment even more severe, because they're supposed to be a force against those things.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stu35 said:
Also:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press,

It is the soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech,

It is the soldier, not the Campus Organiser,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate,

It is the soldier, not the Lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial,

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves under the flag
Whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag".
To quote someone else:

"Your story's touching but it sounds just like a lie."

The military did not give us any of these things, and it is only through gross stretches of logic that one assumes that they actually enforce them.

But it SOUNDS NICE and it's PRO MILITARY, so let's thump our chests for blind patriotism!

It's even funnier, though, when one thinks about the military and the freedom of the press in Iraq. When one thinks of the demonstrators injured by the national guard for peaceful organisation throughout a good chunk of the 20th century.

Sorry, my parents protested DESPITE the military. The right was not given by them, but they attempted to take it away. And when soldiers came home from Vietnam, it was still my parents and their ilk who took care of them when the government decided to forget them.

My protests were despite the military as well.

There's no truth in your adorable little poem. None at all. You could as well be thanking God or the Easter Bunny for your rights, to about the same effect. Except the Easter Bunny never killed a peaceful protester exercising the rights he supposedly "gives" people.