Do "Nerds" Not Enjoy Sports, Or Just Not Mainstream Ones?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I do Computer Science, and I know loads of people on my course who enjoy football and rugby and other stuff like that. I don't really, although I've never been an athletic person really (the only sport that I do and that interests me in general is Taekwondo, and yes that does qualify as a sport :p)

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
I love freerunning, and would totally get deep into it myself if the city I live in had more urban areas suited for the stuff!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
snave said:
Stasisesque said:
All but one person I know likes sports, playing or watching them. I was forever deemed 'unfit' in school PE lessons because I didn't enjoy hockey and couldn't hit the ball with a tennis racket, but I absolutely love kayaking and swimming (which we did not do at school) and abseiling and rock climbing. I think there are quite a lot of people out there like me, who failed miserably at school sports and decided they just didn't enjoy sports. Access to multiple types of sport breeds sporty people, I think
You have just described a handful of largely non-competitive sports. I think that's quite an overlooked problem with the education system of most countries.

Competitive sports tend to be heavily over-represented due to the relative ease of managing a large group of students in a single competition, rather than a large group each in competition with themselves. If you've ever been in front of a classroom, you'd quickly realise that fostering competition is a great way to maintain class control. The catch is that this risks alienating those (often introverts) who simply do not enjoy competition. Not to mention that non-competitive sports often fall on the "high insurance" end of the spectrum.

Casual competition can often provide one solution (indoor soccer, Calvinball type games, etc) which encompasses all the benefits of team sports, without the pressure or group exposure.
This. Don't think I could have described it better myself.

I'm a nerd but I strongly dislike most team sports. The phrase "doesn't play well with others" applies to how I feel but not how I perform. I can play well with others, but I have to force myself. I'd rather not play with others if its a sport like Soccer, Baseball, or my most despised sports, Basketball and American Football.

I love bowling, golf, swimming, running (by myself), skiing and hiking and rock climbing if I were given the chance to do those.

In those situations you are generally competing against yourself, you have your own score and your own average and it is more meaningful than in other team sports because you have much more control over it. If I can master myself and push myself to do better, my score will improve and that will be my contribution to the team, and that is enough.

I don't like team sports as they are so highly recognized in America because it can promote a bad sense of competition. I don't like trash talking and all too often competition like the big sports in America brings out the worst in people. Besides, when I force myself to play a sport I do just that, I force myself and give it my all. If others aren't as devoted then whats the point?

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
I'm a big time nerd.

I love Hockey and I'm very annoyed this year about that whole thing.

Hope I've been helpful.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Moderated said:
Watching sports is lame.
Playing sports is fun.
Nail'd it.

I'm bored to tears by televised sports, excepting the occasional Olympic game. Gym class was fun, though (if not a bit humiliating).
WHY, YOU MADE THE GIF WORSE, WHY?

OP: I fully believe if sports were less "macho" and less bullshit, more nerds would enjoy it. I mean, if I didn't have to endure a torrent of abuse every time I played football, I wouldn't have stopped playing.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Well I've never been interested in sports although playing them can be fun from time to time. If there is any sport I'll watch it's basketball but even then I usually only watch it if I'm at somebody elses house.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Taken from wikipedia:

"A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive,[4] and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports."

It would seem that the popular definition of the term specifically includes a tendency to be uninterested in sports, particularly the mainstream ones. For individuals not quite meeting the above description, you might want to contrast that with the term Geek, which is described as a person with interests similar to that of a Nerd, but without most of the social restrictions.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I only really watch international football - I don't know why, but I prefer to see international tournaments. Feels more significant than local teams. I used to go up to Glasgow a lot to see Celtic play, which I guess makes me a Celtic supporter.

I'm also ambi...er....feet. What's the word for being good with both feet? Like ambidextrous is to be good with both hands, so what is it for feet? Anyway, I'm that. I'm naturally good at football so I should practice and make something of it.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
klown said:
Well, I find that nerds tend to not like sports when they are surrounded by other nerds who don't like sports because they are around other nerds who don't like sports ect. ect.

As a huge football fan, I tend to talk about Bayern Munich just as often as I do any video game, and I've found that more nerds like sports when they know they won't be looked at funny because the social circles in high school don't overlap.

Aris Khandr said:
No, we hate sports. All of them. Ever. >.> <.<

What are you looking at?
How are the gunners doing this year with Podolski but lost Van Persie?
A fellow Bayern fan?
*fistbump*

OT:
In would classify myself as a geek rather than a nerd, but anyway...

Big football (not handegg) fan.
I mainly follow Bayern Muchens exploits in the Bundesliga, but I also watch Champions League when it's the right time of the year for it.
I also support my local team, SK Brann.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Thyunda said:
I only really watch international football - I don't know why, but I prefer to see international tournaments. Feels more significant than local teams. I used to go up to Glasgow a lot to see Celtic play, which I guess makes me a Celtic supporter.

I'm also ambi...er....feet. What's the word for being good with both feet? Like ambidextrous is to be good with both hands, so what is it for feet? Anyway, I'm that. I'm naturally good at football so I should practice and make something of it.
The term ambidextrous simply means "both favourable", and applies to any two limbs of the same type, not just your hands. Heck, if someone were to grow a pair of tentacles, the term might apply to those as well.

DonPauliani

Jan 23, 2008
I enjoy sports BECAUSE I am a gamer and cosplayer. I just love being part of strong communities so being an SF Giants fan, screaming for ManU--it's kind of natural.

As for sports a nerd (like me) actually participate in? Anecdotally, we tend to go more cross country and swimming--fleeing sports--more than contact ones.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
SadakoMoose said:
GrimTuesday said:
I've never understood the aversion to sports within the nerd/geek subculture. I mean I see it as just another thing to geek out with. I love looking at the stats of my favorite baseball players, and comparing them to what ever team they happen to be playing. I love looking at the different possible trades the teams I support might be able to do, and hypothisise which would be more beneficial.

I personally enjoy [American] Football, baseball, wrestling (real wrestling, none of that fake shit), and hockey. My teams are the Mariners, and the Seahawks, and I'm trying to decide on a hockey team. I like Vancouver, in part because geographically, they are the closest, but they have been quite good the last few years, and suddenly becoming a fan would seem like I was bandwagoning them.

Also, MMA and hockey are both mainstream, so don't act like you're somehow different than everyone else.
Well, for one point. I'd disagree with you about pro wrestling, namely because of things like this:
That's just me. I may not enjoy North American Football or Baseball, but I certainly wouldn't call them shit, because I can respect the athleticism that goes into them. Even if I disagree with the politics of football, or the sort of racketeering that's par for the course in baseball/boxing.
Yeah, you know what, that doesn't really hurt, unless you actually fuck up. 95% of that shit doesn't actually hurt, nor does it take any great feat of strength to pull off. Its a fucking soap opera with stage fighting, get over it.
It takes the strength of both wrestlers to do the moves correctly. That backdrop driver is impossible with out the person taking the move jumping.

Also, it doesn't hurt? Have you ever been a ring? Wrestled a match? Cause I did, and I felt pretty dinged up afterwards.

Your real wrestling is just mindless slamming each other on the mat until one you is fatigued enough to get pinned. Anyone could do it. Get over it.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Love watching most sports, can't be bothered playing any of them.

As to the repeated statements of "why watch sports when you can play them?", maybe because I'm vastly more entertained by watching professionals/experts being awesome than watching my own lame ass getting tired on the field?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Heronblade said:
Thyunda said:

The term ambidextrous simply means "both favourable", and applies to any two limbs of the same type, not just your hands. Heck, if someone were to grow a pair of tentacles, the term might apply to those as well.
Dextrous refers to hands specifically. Dexterity is a hand thing. If you can use your feet like hands, then I guess it applies here, but this is football and hands are irrelevant.

edit due to failed captcha: Apparently quantum physics is not easier than tying a shoelace.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
SadakoMoose said:
GrimTuesday said:
SadakoMoose said:
GrimTuesday said:
I've never understood the aversion to sports within the nerd/geek subculture. I mean I see it as just another thing to geek out with. I love looking at the stats of my favorite baseball players, and comparing them to what ever team they happen to be playing. I love looking at the different possible trades the teams I support might be able to do, and hypothisise which would be more beneficial.

I personally enjoy [American] Football, baseball, wrestling (real wrestling, none of that fake shit), and hockey. My teams are the Mariners, and the Seahawks, and I'm trying to decide on a hockey team. I like Vancouver, in part because geographically, they are the closest, but they have been quite good the last few years, and suddenly becoming a fan would seem like I was bandwagoning them.

Also, MMA and hockey are both mainstream, so don't act like you're somehow different than everyone else.
Well, for one point. I'd disagree with you about pro wrestling, namely because of things like this:
That's just me. I may not enjoy North American Football or Baseball, but I certainly wouldn't call them shit, because I can respect the athleticism that goes into them. Even if I disagree with the politics of football, or the sort of racketeering that's par for the course in baseball/boxing.
Yeah, you know what, that doesn't really hurt, unless you actually fuck up. 95% of that shit doesn't actually hurt, nor does it take any great feat of strength to pull off. Its a fucking soap opera with stage fighting, get over it.
Well, I tried not to cause any hard feelings, but I guess that just wasn't do-able.
I genuinely disagree with your assessment that pro wrestling doesn't normally hurt, because it kind of does. Despite what some people believe, there is no spring under there. It's basically a plank of wood, supported by steel beams, and covered in about two inches of padding and canvas. When you see someone "bounce" a bit, it's from the natural give of the structure.

Yes, it does hurt to fall on that thing, and yes it does take a great physical effort to do that sort of stuff safely. More than just having watched pro wrestling for around a decade now, I've been personally involved as a fan and aspiring wrestler myself. So I've said what I have based largely on first hand experience, not from just shouting at somebody because they disagree with me.

Again, I'm not sure what I said to illicit such an angry response. You seem personally offended at the notion that someone would either like of defend pro wrestling, almost like I've somehow insulted you by expressing my opinion.
What this guy, from personal experience, you're dinged up afterwards.

Also thats if your working in a proper ring. And then there's taken bumps outside the ring, I tried that once brazenly on a gym mat laying on concrete floor. Wasn't pleasant.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
funnydude6556 said:
sumanoskae said:
So I suppose that despite being an active, popular, social individual, the fact that I pay video games makes me a nerd.

The term is an anachronism if you ask me, but the answer to your question is that yes, I do like sports, I like Fencing and Kung Fu.

Mainstream sports rather bore me.
Who called you a nerd for playing video games? Takes more then that to be a nerd.
As I said, the term doesn't make any sense to me, because the set of criteria that make one a "Nerd" don't apply to the people who are called "Nerds"

A nerd is an obsessively studious person, to the point that they ignore and lack other skills, usually socializing. This applies to a lot of people I've come across, and most of them didn't play any more video games or read any more comics than the average person, but you'd never hear someone obsessive about religion or football called a nerd, so the term is misused.

I guess that the answer to the OP's question is that your interests can't define you as a nerd, so yes, there are plenty of nerds who basically do nothing else but obsess over sports.

But even if the term is used correctly, it's a pretty hateful thing to insult someone who's only crime is being boring or studios, so I say don't use it at all and stick to real insults like "You're an insecure, mean spirited jackass who needs to put down other people to feel good about yourself. In other words, you're the kind of person who calls people nerds"

I don't like the culture surrounding the term "Nerd", and I think it'd be best to put down the word permanently.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Thyunda said:
Heronblade said:
Dextrous refers to hands specifically. Dexterity is a hand thing. If you can use your feet like hands, then I guess it applies here, but this is football and hands are irrelevant.

edit due to failed captcha: Apparently quantum physics is not easier than tying a shoelace.
The term dexterity does not specifically refer to the hands either. The term implies a generally high level of ability, particularly in terms of flexibility, speed, and/or agility. and can be used for just about any activity, from charismatic speech to technical thinking to acrobatics.

The base term dextrous is a reference to either ability or the right side, (as opposed to the left) depending on context.

Now, MANUAL dexterity just refers to the hands, but that's a bit more defined.

P.S. I think Stephen Hawking would disagree with captcha on that one.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Heronblade said:
Thyunda said:
Heronblade said:

The term dexterity does not specifically refer to the hands either. The term implies a generally high level of ability, particularly in terms of flexibility, speed, and/or agility. and can be used for just about any activity, from charismatic speech to technical thinking to acrobatics.

The base term dextrous is a reference to either ability or the right side, (as opposed to the left) depending on context.

Now, MANUAL dexterity just refers to the hands, but that's a bit more defined.

P.S. I think Stephen Hawking would disagree with captcha on that one.

Bahahaha, you are a bad person for that last sentence. So am I for laughing.

Dictionary.com's reference for ambidextrous was listed as first for dual-wielding, second was skill, and third was...uh...I forget.