Do "Nerds" Not Enjoy Sports, Or Just Not Mainstream Ones?

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
I disliked watching sports before I became a nerd, I say watching because I like doing most sports with people on roughly my own level (depending on what we're playing it ranges from "sucks hard" to "amateur"). Except soccer which is easily the most popular sport in Denmark, childhood hip problems mean I have decreased mobility in my kicking leg, making it impossible for me turn my foot enough to shoot a ball straight with the inner side of my foot without feeling quite a lot of pain.

Anyway for whatever reason I do not care at all about watching any sports I know of for very long at a time, I can be amazed at the skill required to perform certain things, but in a matter of minutes the amazement fades and it becomes boring, this includes all sports I've yet to watch, E-sports too(So naturally I never watch sports).

I just don't get it at all, and It's been like this always, ever since I was a little kid and all the boys in my class joined a soccer-club and I couldn't care less (before my hip fucked up), I am literally the only person my own age I know who haven't at least tried being a member of a soccer club most of them quit again, but still they've all tried, and they all had their favorite teams and stuff like that and I just never got it, why they cared about it.

To this day I still have no idea what people find so compelling about supporting certain teams in sports and the whole rivalry mentality, I just... just don't get it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Moderated said:
Watching sports is lame.
Playing sports is fun.
This statement has always confused me. Why can't it be both?

Johnny Impact said:
Any physical activity that 1) is highly competitive, 2) is done "professionally," and 3) is followed by large numbers of people as if it actually mattered.
So, video games?

Too many others to quote, so on to my own contribution.

I've been a sports fan all my life (pretty much any sport, except e-sports, because that's just boring), and a nerd too. There's absolutely no reason for them to be mutually exclusive.

I even stuck through the 0-16 year for my favourite American football team. I'm what you call a "dedicated loser".

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Well I'm a nerd I think, I'm also pretty fit so people who don't know me tend to speak about sports with me and I just sit there looking stupid because I know very little about sports and I generally don't even like to watch sports, and then I start to speak about games, comics, movies etc and everybody thinks I'm joking until my friends(ok, actually there is only one friend but shut up) who also look like nerds come and say yes he is about as nerdy as one can get.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
BodomBeachChild said:
Yes. I have been a Steelers and Pirates fan my whole life. (Betcha can't guess where I grew up near.) NO and Seattle are two teams I enjoy watching during football season. Seattle and Baltimore are my go-to baseball teams during the season, but I try to watch as much as I can. I also golf and do watch it regularly. Used to skateboard when I was younger till my knees started hurting a lot. Still watch it on ESPN when it's on.
Jesus, are you some kind of baseball masochism? Pirates, Orioles, and Mariners? I'm a M's fan and that's about all I can handle, I can't imagine living through the last decade of general suck that has characterized all three of these teams.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
I love a live football match (that's fottball, not rugby for pussies in armour)

Especially a good match in the German series

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Well the only reason I never liked sports in school is because of Jocks, so I never got into actually playing sports. I liked playing football *soccer* when I was younger, but when I entered highschool the jocks turned me off playing the sport.

I enjoy watching Hockey and both my younger cousins actually play hockey on a girls team, so I really like to watch them play. Womens hockey is a little better as the violence in toned down to a more reasonable level.

Even video game sports like MLG has jocks, so even playing video games pro holds no interest for me. I guess I never liked the team thing as the world is filled with assholes.

So to sum it up, yeah I like sports and the idea of sports. I like to watch the world get together to play the olympics over waging war with each other, so I support sports for that reason. In my experience nerds and geeks *the kind of people interested in computers and video games* typically aren't into sports, that isn't to say they all don't like sports, just most.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'm not a nerd. Don't give a shit about sports either.
Was raised by women, so it might have something to do with it.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
I think more cerebral types tend to enjoy sports less, or at least obsess over them less. That isn't to say every nerd hates sports, although i loathe every one without exception.

As a basic rule of thumb, making generalizations about really large and unspecific groups of people is unwise.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Its not that I don't enjoy sports, its more that I don't care about them enough to follow them at all. For me its too much time and effort to follow a season when I rather spend my free time doing other things.

I think videogames have ruined me in that regard because I'm the same way about TV and movies. I feel like just sitting around watching something on TV is a waste of time.

I can sit down and enjoy watching a game with friends but I really never can get myself to care too much about who wins or looses. I can enjoy sports I just can't get invested in it.

Lewg999

Jan 30, 2011
I'm not a particularly active person or one who generally watches sports but given a choice of ones to play ( since they are kind of boring to watch ) I'd go with either Badminton, Tennis or Basketball. Literally the only sports I've ever been passable at and enjoy playing when they either turn up on the school PE curriculum or I somehow end up playing them in my spare time , something which never seems to happen.

I hate the standard celebrated sports in this country though Football ( Soccer ) is ungodly boring to watch and its players are all overpaid and under appreciative of the fans and Rugby is so slow that I just cant watch it. That said I do quite like watching the Olympics when its on and having my country as host this year was nice too.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I never found sports to be very engaging. The only ones I kinda know about were the ones my dad and brother played, which were basketball and American football respectively, and even then I could care less. It's ironic because throughout High School everyone and their grandma seemed to want me to be a running back (I looked like a tank on legs at the time). I just couldn't find it within me to be interested. Then again, aside from a few key details I've pretty much been regarded as a somewhat stereotypical nerd for pretty much my whole remembered life.

David Huff

May 31, 2011
GoldenEyedScout said:
I'm pondering this question as I listen to my oldest brother clearly enjoying (American) football, a sport which I am bored to tears by 99% of the time.
I never walked into school or work and said "Hey guys, how bout them Giants?". Growing up in a rural town, pretty much all anyone talked about was sports, so I was usually quiet and off in my own world for these talks.

But that's not to say I don't like sports. I prefer rugby to football, hockey to baseball, and MMA to basketball. When the World Championships for judo comes on, I watch with rapt attention.

So what do you guys think? Do us "nerds" not like sports, or do we just like different ones?
Personal Opinion; Different ones, for the most part also (off topic) whats you profile pic of?

GoldenEyedScout

Jul 26, 2010
David Huff said:
GoldenEyedScout said:
I'm pondering this question as I listen to my oldest brother clearly enjoying (American) football, a sport which I am bored to tears by 99% of the time.
I never walked into school or work and said "Hey guys, how bout them Giants?". Growing up in a rural town, pretty much all anyone talked about was sports, so I was usually quiet and off in my own world for these talks.

But that's not to say I don't like sports. I prefer rugby to football, hockey to baseball, and MMA to basketball. When the World Championships for judo comes on, I watch with rapt attention.

So what do you guys think? Do us "nerds" not like sports, or do we just like different ones?
Personal Opinion; Different ones, for the most part also (off topic) whats you profile pic of?
It's a shot of Ray Stevenson from Punisher: Warzone.

DeadpoolPwnz

Jun 27, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
SKOAL VIKINGS!!!!

...I mean, yes, I'm a nerd and I'm into sports. I like watching football (went to the Vikings victory today!!!) and soccer. I have owned, at some point, every major sports game (except basketball...HATE basketball). I have three fantasy football teams. I played soccer in high school, some inter-mural soccer for old people leagues now, and I play tennis for fun. A number of alumni at my college get together every Thursday for Ultimate Frisbee.

I also own a PS3 and 360 with a abnormally large gamer score (on my 360, I haven't had the PS3 for that long). I have been gaming since I could walk. I work at a bank and enjoy it. I play Magic the Gathering as well as D&D with my free time.

I think that plenty of nerds love sports. But like all the things I have mentioned above, none of these things define me and I don't run around screaming to everyone my love of these items.
For the record, it's Skol Vikings lol (i'm also a vikings fan)

David Huff

May 31, 2011
GoldenEyedScout said:
David Huff said:
GoldenEyedScout said:

It's a shot of Ray Stevenson from Punisher: Warzone.
Thanks, at first I thought it was Sam Fisher but he looked too slim.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
I'm honestly at least as much of a sports nerd as I am a video game or comic nerd. I listen to ESPNRadio often (no cable) and watch as much as I can without killing time for other things. I love American Football, hockey, baseball, basketball. I can enjoy other sports, but not nearly as much as others. I know the sports' history and past/present players better than many people who have followed them diligently for decades. So yes, I do enjoy mainstream sports, and I am a major nerd at the same time.

And since everyone else is doing it: St. Louis Rams, New York Yankees, New Jersey Devils, Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Hurricanes, Syracuse Orange. I basically love whatever team caught my attention the most when I got into their sports. Hence the randomness. I also enjoy tennis, boxing, etc. I used to love wrestling (the WWF/WCW kind) but it's become rather unwatchable.

GoldenEyedScout

Jul 26, 2010
I have not been disappointed with people's teams yet.
Keep it up, and remember, no matter where you go, the New York Rangers SUCK.