Do nice guys really finish last?

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
I was talking to a friend of mine who doesn't really have the best of luck with girls. He's had 5 GF's this year and I have 1, one that lasted 11 months. (He says it give him more experience with girls, but if you ask me 11 month GF > 1 month GF) Anyway, he say's that nice guys finish last because the majority of his girlfriends end up leaving him for some tool. Now from my perspective he treats his girlfriends like princesses, calling them beautiful 24/7, all that stuff. I'm sure most of you having relationships like that. I've seen how most people who can be called "deuce bags" relationships, and they get the girl because they are willing to come down to her level and just talk. So my question is, Agree/Disagree: Nice guys don't finish last, guys who are bent on the fact that they have a girlfriend finish last. Why/why not?

Edit: Maybe this might clear things up a bit. The girl I dated for 11 months was always quite and not very social. So I asked her out knowing that it was either her or spending my time alone. I always would treat her like a princess and everything. I didn't want her to leave, but now I realize, I didn't love her, I loved the fact I had a girlfriend. So basically when I say nice guys, I mean people who talk to their GF 24/7 complementing her, treating her like a celebrity, not really knowing who their dating, they just know their dating somebody, and that's good enough for them.

Edit 2: It may be worth mentioning that the reason I broke up with this girl (and did it in a totally dick way (ignoring her)) is because I finally did come down to her level to see what she was like (boring and homophobic) I found out how wrong we are together. Plus there was another girl, so...

Edit 3: When I say "come down to their level" I mean they stop praising her for a while and just talk, and hold a conversation.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
I called my girl princess all the time, then she started telling another guy she loved him and tried to get a gang of kids to jump me.
Nice guys finish last.

EDIT: I'd also just like to add in, this only happened about 3 days ago.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Well, it might be because high school girls are fickle, immature, and don't realize the mistakes they're making. I always wondered the same thing in high school, back when I was more interested in females. But, I suppose it depends in the girl for one....
Not all girls are like that.

Although, it is possible that while your friend is a nice guy, he might be too nice... Or maybe the girls he dates are superficial and are only with him until a more attractive/popular prospect becomes available. High school is primarily a game of who cab achieve higher social status, and a desirable bf/gf is worth more status points.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Mookie_Magnus said:
Well, it might be because high school girls are fickle, immature, and don't realize the mistakes they're making. I always wondered the same thing in high school, back when I was more interested in females. But, I suppose it depends in the girl for one....
Not all girls are like that.

Although, it is possible that while your friend is a nice guy, he might be too nice... Or maybe the girls he dates are superficial and are only with him until a more attractive/popular prospect becomes available. High school is primarily a game of who cab achieve higher social status, and a desirable bf/gf is worth more status points.
Pretty much everything he said.

I would add that this changes into your 20's and then changes again into your 30's. Peoples priorities change as they get older and start to realize what really matters to them and also that life is short.

StarsintheBlood

Oct 12, 2010
Nice guys do not finish last. Bad boys are good fun- it often makes a girl feel special that such a dangerous, unattainable type guy would choose to be with her- but in the end, most just want to be loved. In the end, the nice guy usually wins. It may just take some time for the girl to mature enough to realize it.
Women can be bitches too, leaving good guys for tools. Maybe your friend should keep an eye out for nice nice girls, they tend to get overlooked too.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
To be fair, since you are born in 1996 you must be around 15 or 16, so both boys and girls around that age often don't know what they want in a relationship and are just experimenting at that point. Also it depends on whether those new boyfriends really are tools, or whether he just thinks that because they got his girl.

Nice guys don't finish last.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
PixelKing said:
I called my girl princess all the time, then she started telling another guy she loved him and tried to get a gang of kids to jump me.
Nice guys finish last.
Damn, man. That's depressing on so many levels.

OT: I don't think it's a general thing. Nice guys don't always finish last, and all women are different. If it becomes apparent the woman's a ***** (as showcased with this guy's example) you might not learn that until it's too late. If you do figure it out though, you can't be too nice so as to roll over and take it.

I'm an absolute dream to someone I'm in a relationship with though. If it turns out they're really some catty, backstabbing underhanded ***** then I have mastered the art of the crushingly harsh rant. Really. In situations such as: "she's sleeping with another guy" "you're being used for material benefit" and "you were a place holder", I have reduced offending women to tears. I'm not proud of it, but it's no less than they deserve. On the flip side, a girl I was friends with once confessed she thought I seemed to be from another time, I was such a gentleman, etc.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I'm a 21 year old virgin who's never had any form of romantic relationship with either sex. You have no right to complain.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Oh hey there, just chiming in with my 2 cents of finely distilled hatred and resentment.
... wait, I have nothing to contribute seeing as I never had any sort of relationship with a girl. I'm not a "nice guy", and I'm not your stereotypical douchebag. Just cynical, jaded and hateful. Proper 'Forever Alone' material. And I don't observe other peoples' social stuff. Because it just makes me angry to see others happy.

And that's about it, I guess.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
Women do not want domesticated dogs, they want men who can take control and not *be* controlled.

They might think they want a man that they can control, but it only leaves them unhappy and more likely to leave or cheat on you. Both men and women are much happier in relationships where the man is the leader and where he uses his male authority.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Alpha male thing, back when people were still in tribes, you didn't want to be with a nice guy, because nice guys got eaten by bears. You wanted to be with an Alpha male, one who could protect you, which meant they were more assertive and aggressive. Of course, nowadays there is little chance of being eaten by a bear, but the same thought process remains. Alpha males, by today's standards, tend to be controlling a-holes, but that assertiveness tends to be perceived as confidence and so more women go for them. Then they get controlled and dominated by them, and they realize the mistake they made.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Oh look, it's this again.

To take a quote from Extra Credits: "This is just a cursory and poor interpretation of the data before us."

I am honestly baffled here. Guys honestly think that girls love assholes or that they hate nice guys. That's not true.

Here's the truth: Girls love confidence. The unfortunate reality though is that assholes tend to be a lot more confident than nice guys are. And a lot of nice guys are only nice because they can't get away with being an asshole like other assholes do.

At least that's how it is in high school. Dating becomes a lot different after that.
True that.

Also, in my experience, a lot of guys who moan about, "Oh my goodness, I treated her so well, I am so nice, but she moved on to an asshole..." (et cetera, et cetera) are usually going overboard. To take the OP's example, if someone constantly called me "princess," I wouldn't be flattered, I'd feel objectified. In my experience, a lot of guys who claim the nice guy title and then bemoan the loss of their significant other are less "nice," and more "clingy, insecure, and prone to putting their girlfriend on a rather confining and awkward pedestal." This is just in my experience, as I've clarified multiple times, but... still, I daresay it's a valid point.

And this article [http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml] puts a lot of my points in a blunter, better way.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Well, I'm gonna disagree with your definition of "nice guy". Acting nice is different from being genuinely nice, genuinely nice guys can still seem like dickheads to outside observers.

Slightly more on topic, Yes. We do. It sucks. Deal with it.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
While my luck has been quite awful in the past years (all the girls I'm interested in tend to be taken) normally women always adore guys that actually treat them like a human being instead of a statue of worship. Also it helps to stand out and carry these: