Do not waste your money on Dawnguard.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
The price seemed alright to me, it adds a decent amount of content and pretty fun.
woodaba said:
Couple that with the Crossbow being underwhelming as an addition (it's basically an inferior version of the bow)
You say what!?!?!?!?? I love the crossbow, I like it much better than the bows and am really glad they added it back in. As Daystar said, all of dat swagger.....I mean stagger.

I wouldn't say it's on the same level as shivering isles but it still seems like a good piece of DLC, more like knights of the nine. Im going to wait on them releasing a huge piece of DLC that adds a whole new area like Shivering isles did.

It's not a crappy should have been in the game DLC cash grab like 80% of what is usaully released as DLC for games I like so im pretty happy with it. I will admit the price was a bit high but I got it on Xbox so the price will of course suck because ****ing Microsoft, therefore I don't really blame Bethesda that much. Also in regards to not knowing much about either faction, you can actully make more than one character and you can actully just make a backup save to load up if you didn't like your faction. It's what I did, first joined the Dawnguard but then I wanted to try the vampires so I loaded my mage character up and ended up shooting through the whole campaign.

I still have yet to do the Dawnguard questline though.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Dandark said:
The price seemed alright to me, it adds a decent amount of content and pretty fun.
woodaba said:
Couple that with the Crossbow being underwhelming as an addition (it's basically an inferior version of the bow)
You say what!?!?!?!?? I love the crossbow, I like it much better than the bows and am really glad they added it back in. As Daystar said, all of dat swagger.....I mean stagger.

I wouldn't say it's on the same level as shivering isles but it still seems like a good piece of DLC, more like knights of the nine. Im going to wait on them releasing a huge piece of DLC that adds a whole new area like Shivering isles did.

It's not a crappy should have been in the game DLC cash grab like 80% of what is usaully released as DLC for games I like so im pretty happy with it. I will admit the price was a bit high but I got it on Xbox so the price will of course suck because ****ing Microsoft, therefore I don't really blame Bethesda that much. Also in regards to not knowing much about either faction, you can actully make more than one character and you can actully just make a backup save to load up if you didn't like your faction. It's what I did, first joined the Dawnguard but then I wanted to try the vampires so I loaded my mage character up and ended up shooting through the whole campaign.

I don't know...I just never found a use for the Crossbow. Maybe it gets better if you do those really repetitive quests for the woman in Fort Dawnguard, but I burned out on those after I got the fire bolts. "What's that? You want me to go get an identical schematic from an Identical dungeon? For the 4th time in a row? Fuck off."

You can't really blame Microsoft for the price. Bethesda chose that price point themselves, as evidenced by the similar price on Steam. I know Bethesda has an incredibly loyal following, and they generally do alright by gamers (except when they aren't selling us Horse Armor), but this one is entirely on them.

Yes, you can make a new character, but it's a really poorly designed choice when you literally have to break the constraints of the game to find out what you are choosing. Yes, you can change your character. Doesn't make up for the fact that the choice is poorly designed.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
woodaba said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
The price for Skyrim's DLC is the same as any of the Fallouts' there.
You are wrong. Blatantly, indisputably, wrong.
Well I only saw the price for Dawnguard once before and forgot it.

>.>

<.<

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Aerosteam 1908 said:
woodaba said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
The price for Skyrim's DLC is the same as any of the Fallouts' there.
You are wrong. Blatantly, indisputably, wrong.
Well I only saw the price for Dawnguard once before and forgot it.

>.>

<.<
It is rather hard to believe when you first see it...

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Steam informed that "Dawnguard [is] now available" so like the sucker I am I went to Skyrims store page and prepared to whip out my credit card... Then I see it: 19.99 euro for Dawnguard? They want me to pay five euros more for a fairly short DLC then I did for Orcs Must Die 2? They want me to pay the price of 2 meaty New Vegas DLC for that?

Gethsemani made a stand, said "No way!" and booted up Orcs Must Die 2 instead, because she wants value for her money.
Yeah, this is the sticking point for me. It really lowers the standard for DLC in these games. Shivering Isles has almost enough content on its own to keep me happy as a standalone game, and quality content at that (definitely still my favorite Elder Scrolls content). The New Vegas DLC had generally between 5-10 hours of content (with Honest Hearts having the least and Old World Blues having the most). And again, those were high quality: New areas, new story, new characters, new weapons.

Dawnguard sounds rather miniscule in comparison, and yet it costs more. I was never going to buy it anyway because I couldn't care less about vampires (and no, that's not a reaction to Twilight. I pretty much always felt like that). The crossbows sound cool, but I'm not paying $20 for them.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
woodaba said:
However, the thing that kills my enjoyment of Dawnguard is the choice. Much has been made of the player's ability to side with either the Vampires or the Vampire Hunters. However, this choice is very poorly handled.
OT: Out of curiosity... what happens if you are already a vampire in the original game, before playing Dawnguard? I didn't know they were going to make an expansion with humans vs vampires. It seems your choices might be even more limited then. Or is it going to be a 'wolf amongst sheep' kinda thing. Anyone knows?

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
O well disposable income is disposable.
I'm a fan of the series, I'm liking it so far but the price tag was a little hexxy.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Waiting for a price cut myself. Don't let me down steam.

I don't think an expansion like that is worth 20 Euro's either personally. As fun as it looks.

I don't have that kind of spare cash. And before people call me out on my WoW-habits.
I still enjoy WoW, It's a guaranteed enjoyment. For a month. For less than half that price.

Dawnguard I bet will barely fill a week.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I knew it wouldn't be as awesome as Shivering Isles. The day of awesome expansion packs is over. I'll wait for the price to drop.

dnazeri

Jul 2, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
You come across as annoying. OP was expressing an opinion. Since when was that not allowed?

dnazeri

Jul 2, 2012
woodaba said:
imahobbit4062 said:

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
I'll do as I damn well please with my threads.

I don't get why people make these kinds of replies, you may think you're acting smart, but you just come across as a raging fanboy getting angry when people express their opinions.
Couldn't agree more. Woodaba is the one that comes across as annoying.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Fair Warning: Bethesda Fan(boy)

Couple things I've noticed.

First DLC:
Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage - imo the absolute weakest of the dlc for the game. One redeeming factor is the gear for your normal Lone Wanderer (Chinese Armor/ Rail gun). Story stinks, atmosphere, while different, is unappealing and has tons of magical 'you can not cross this line' areas. Complete throwaway characters, has nearly 0 bearing on your actual Fallout 3 character.

Fallout NV: Dead Money - again, the worst dlc offering (omitting razzledazzle crap like weapon packs). Area sucks, arbitrary time consuming tasks (fog, speakers), unappealing characters (maybe Domino though..) and this one doesn't even have any noteworthy weapons to bring back with you.

Case in point, the first DLC has been the weakest for both Fallout games.

I also argue that in contrast to Bioware RPGs, I feel like I'm getting a helluva lot for my $10 in Fallout. I would gladly pay 20.

The only 2 things that upset me about Dawnguard are:
A. It took so damn long (including the marketting crap with MS) especially for something with, as mentioned...
B. Seemingly a lot of recycled content. I don't demand to be on another planet, but the bar is rather high with DLC like the Shivering Isles, The Pitt, Mothership Zeta, Point Lookout, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, and even the aforementioned Dead Money and Operation Anchorage. All these areas looked completely different from the stock game world.

Bottom line, I'm buying Dawnguard. Even if it's the worst piece of drivel ever, it'll just go on the stack of other stellar DLC Bethesda's put out. Now if the next few bits are in the same boat, then I may revise my views, but for now they have too much good cred with me.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Eh it isn't a bad price for more content and some improvements here and there.

Hell combined with the Lydia as Vampire mod [seriously might just give her a little bit more survival chance] I now have a guard that glows like a feline in the night. Neat..

Will it be worth 20? Probably around 15 and yes if you wait 12 months you might get it on a GOTY disc.

I though rather spend 20 bucks on more content for a game I know to be well then having to go into the gambit of what games are decent again this december. Seriously with the type of titles that come out around December.. some are good some are.. eeh they look good but are not good.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
woodaba said:
Dandark said:
woodaba said:

I don't know...I just never found a use for the Crossbow. Maybe it gets better if you do those really repetitive quests for the woman in Fort Dawnguard, but I burned out on those after I got the fire bolts. "What's that? You want me to go get an identical schematic from an Identical dungeon? For the 4th time in a row? Fuck off."

You can't really blame Microsoft for the price. Bethesda chose that price point themselves, as evidenced by the similar price on Steam. I know Bethesda has an incredibly loyal following, and they generally do alright by gamers (except when they aren't selling us Horse Armor), but this one is entirely on them.

Yes, you can make a new character, but it's a really poorly designed choice when you literally have to break the constraints of the game to find out what you are choosing. Yes, you can change your character. Doesn't make up for the fact that the choice is poorly designed.
That's a fair enough point on making a new character and the bad design, I can't contest that.

I will however blame Micro for their terrible pricing system. I live in Britain so I still have the crappy points system. I can only buy in packs of 500 points so I had to buy 1500 poi to be able to get it which irked me greatly. If the price is similar on PC and such then "meh" i'll concede it may be a tad overpriced but I still feel it does alright.
I am however incredibly biased since this is the first piece of actual DLC that I bought, enjoyed and felt was worth the price in ages.#

On the crossbow, yes you have to get the Dwarven crossbow, it is awesome. I just love how, to me at least, the crossbow has a good feeling of impact. I never enjoyed the bows that much but the crossbows are a lot of fun to use, however I do get lucky on the crossbow quests. She will sometimes send you to a dungeon or if your really unlucky a Dwarven ruin to get the schematics. Sometimes she will just send you to some small bandit lair though and they are in a chest at the end with the rest of a "Dwarven haul".

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Nothing was advertised that Dawnguard didn't deliver. Any real Skyrim fan will be more than satisfied.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:

Yeah, how dare he review a piece of content & tell people if he thinks it's worth buying or not!

woodaba

May 31, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Fair Warning: Bethesda Fan(boy)

Couple things I've noticed.

First DLC:
Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage - imo the absolute weakest of the dlc for the game. One redeeming factor is the gear for your normal Lone Wanderer (Chinese Armor/ Rail gun). Story stinks, atmosphere, while different, is unappealing and has tons of magical 'you can not cross this line' areas. Complete throwaway characters, has nearly 0 bearing on your actual Fallout 3 character.

Fallout NV: Dead Money - again, the worst dlc offering (omitting razzledazzle crap like weapon packs). Area sucks, arbitrary time consuming tasks (fog, speakers), unappealing characters (maybe Domino though..) and this one doesn't even have any noteworthy weapons to bring back with you.

Case in point, the first DLC has been the weakest for both Fallout games.

I also argue that in contrast to Bioware RPGs, I feel like I'm getting a helluva lot for my $10 in Fallout. I would gladly pay 20.

The only 2 things that upset me about Dawnguard are:
A. It took so damn long (including the marketting crap with MS) especially for something with, as mentioned...
B. Seemingly a lot of recycled content. I don't demand to be on another planet, but the bar is rather high with DLC like the Shivering Isles, The Pitt, Mothership Zeta, Point Lookout, Old World Blues, Honest Hearts, and even the aforementioned Dead Money and Operation Anchorage. All these areas looked completely different from the stock game world.

Bottom line, I'm buying Dawnguard. Even if it's the worst piece of drivel ever, it'll just go on the stack of other stellar DLC Bethesda's put out. Now if the next few bits are in the same boat, then I may revise my views, but for now they have too much good cred with me.
I thought Dead Money was nothing short of fantastic.