Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Jaeke said:
Elate said:
Jaeke said:
woodaba said:
The price.
Alright... $20 for a 20 hour addon?

People seem to pay $60 for a 5 hour GAME.

I don't see the problem.
And if that 20 hours is walking the same crap I've already spent countless hours doing, why is it worth it?

OT: Yeah I was about to buy it, saw the price tag and said fuck-to-the-no, I was expecting maybe a $10-15 expansion, around £5-7, they want double that? Nope. I can get new weapons, armours and shouts from mods. Never liked the werewolves. Mods can change appearance, race etc, mods add new locations. The /only/ interesting thing is the vampire lords, and even then they seem like they might provide maybe 4-5 hours of fun before I got bored.

Edit: Wrong quote, derp derp, fixed.
Hmm, well 15x2=/=20. Just hope you know.

You have to take into fact other Platforms. Xbox doesn't have mods and a lot of console-specific players don't know about nor understand mods.

I don't really recall doing anything I've done before in vanilla. If doing a story/quest-line happens to require you WALKING past places you've been to is really that bad then why the hell are you playing an RPG...
7 x 2 = 14. Just hope you know, not everyone is 'Murican.

And yeah, that's fine, on other platforms. I'm not buying it on other platforms, I'm buying it on PC, and it should be priced differently on PC then. And I was referring to the recycled assets. If they're charging that much, I at least expect pretty new assets.

To go back to Shivering Isles, it cost less, and had more content, with more new content, meaning more dev time. So with Dawnguard, they're just charging us a lot more, for a lot less. That isn't how it works.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Elate said:
Jaeke said:
Elate said:
Jaeke said:
woodaba said:
The price.
Alright... $20 for a 20 hour addon?

People seem to pay $60 for a 5 hour GAME.

I don't see the problem.
And if that 20 hours is walking the same crap I've already spent countless hours doing, why is it worth it?

OT: Yeah I was about to buy it, saw the price tag and said fuck-to-the-no, I was expecting maybe a $10-15 expansion, around £5-7, they want double that? Nope. I can get new weapons, armours and shouts from mods. Never liked the werewolves. Mods can change appearance, race etc, mods add new locations. The /only/ interesting thing is the vampire lords, and even then they seem like they might provide maybe 4-5 hours of fun before I got bored.

Edit: Wrong quote, derp derp, fixed.
Hmm, well 15x2=/=20. Just hope you know.

You have to take into fact other Platforms. Xbox doesn't have mods and a lot of console-specific players don't know about nor understand mods.

I don't really recall doing anything I've done before in vanilla. If doing a story/quest-line happens to require you WALKING past places you've been to is really that bad then why the hell are you playing an RPG...
7 x 2 = 14. Just hope you know, not everyone is 'Murican.

And yeah, that's fine, on other platforms. I'm not buying it on other platforms, I'm buying it on PC, and it should be priced differently on PC then. And I was referring to the recycled assets. If they're charging that much, I at least expect pretty new assets.

To go back to Shivering Isles, it cost less, and had more content, with more new content, meaning more dev time. So with Dawnguard, they're just charging us a lot more, for a lot less. That isn't how it works.
Can you read your own post:
"$10-15 expansion... and they want double that."

Dollars =/= pounds. Just hope you know, not EVERY 'Murican doesn't know math or other currency.

It doesn't matter if you're buying it on PC, they don't care. They know people on consoles will buy it.

There were new assets. A lot. It was an expansion.

KotN was the same as Shivering Isles, but arguably had much less content.

You fail in your arguement when describing your "recycled" content.
By your logic I could argue Shivering Isles was repititious because you had to walk through the Isles again to get to the next quest.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Wasn't getting it anywhere soon anyways as Skyrim hasn't gotten a proper hold of me at all, but these things are subjective. I mean, there's 5 Quakecon items for TF2 selling on Steam at about 20 ?. They wouldn't do that if there weren't a market for it. I bet there are people who are happy with the value they're getting with Dawnguard for the price, even if it's nowhere close what most would expect. Anyways, cheers for telling what it is about (with some spoons of salt).

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
This.

I really don't think it's up to someone to say what people should and shouldn't buy. Games like Mercenaries 2 and kameo: Elements of Power got pretty poor reviews but I'm glad that I got them! Just because you had a certain experience with a game doesn't mean all others will too!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I actually thought it was worth it.

I like the new additions, especially the crossbow.

Crossbows stagger enemies like a boss :D
Yeah just like those three or four bows that can do that anyways, or the shield, or a heavy attack with a sword, or a heavy attack with a mace, or a heavy attack with a dagger. This one new stagger weapon is totally worth buying the pack for.

And I said this forever back, but I called it. Skyrim is just going to be a giant-ass hype-train all through-and-through with all the DLC's being all marketing and no substance.

From what I can tell, this is what several reviewers have said, like Clevver Games who thought that all the additions quickly became forgettable because its just more of the same. If you want more of the same Skyrim experience, full of glitches, exploits and bugs. Forgettable, run of the mill NPCs. Powers you won't use for any other reason then their cheapness factor or for the novelty of being a vampire cat dog, then go ahead and buy this overly expensive game.

Me, I just bough Awesomenauts on the PC, Just Cause 2, Payday: The Heist and Cube Men and it has been infintetly more fun then anything Skyrim has ever thrown at me. Sure, thats 89$ right there, but 60$ for Skyrim and then 20$ for Dawnguard is 80$ so you could have not bought Cube-Men and gotten more games and more bang-for-your-buck then if you bought both of those games.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Jaeke said:
Elate said:
I was expecting maybe a $10-15 expansion, around £5-7, they want double that?
What's that, is that a maybe? Oh shit son I think it is. Is that also $10 in there? Are you just ignoring half of what I said? Oh my I think you are. Stop making straw man arguments and picking at semantics. The current rate is roughly 1 pound = 1.5 dollar, which roughly means £7 to $10 (closer to $11 but I wasn't using the conversions off the top of my head.) Again, strawmen everywhere!

Right, what are you talking about walking through crap, I'm talking about using the same content as they used in the main game with maybe a new lick of texture paint (Considerably less work than new models), for the dungeons. Which has nothing to do with walking through to get back to quests.

And yes, but look how badly knights of the nine was received. And it does matter if I'm on PC, hence why PC games and console games, shock.. HORROR, ARE PRICED DIFFERENTLY. OH THE HUMANITY, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.

Just to use an example:
Sleeping dogs, on GAME (Since everyone knows the beauty of steam sales.)

Xbox 360 limited edition preorder - £37.99, that's around, nearly, not exactly but close to $60

PC limited edition preorder - £24.99, that's around, nearly, not exactly but close to $40

That's a pretty huge gap, I would be willing to theorize that the original Oblivion DLCs were also priced in a similar fashion, i.e being cheaper on PC.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Considering the fact that it has less content compared to some mods and has even less polish, I agree with the OP.

If you're not a rabid fan-boy, do not purchase this DLC, it's a piece of crap for the price.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
In my opinion it's worth it solely because Bethesda actually managed to make a character that is more than just a quest/reward dispenser, but rather a three-dimensional personality with her own distinct back-story who faces challenges that you can both understand and care about.

In a Bethesda game (for all there other positives, of which there are many don't get me wrong) that really is unprecedented. Although, it is slightly annoying that the first character in the whole of Skyrim that my Redguard Dragonborn has genuinely grown fond of isn't actually available to marry. Why?
I know, right? Bethesda actually put a good character with an interesting personality in the game. But of course you can't marry her. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go out in to the real world for that.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I got 155 hours of playtime out of Skyrim. I'm gonna attribute about 30 of those hours to having to restart to do questlines that bugged out on my main character, but still 125 hours for 60 dollars is a good deal.

So as I see it dumping another 20 dollars on bonus content is well worth it

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll do as I damn well please with my money.

I don't get why people make these kinds of threads, you may think you're trying to help people, but you just come across as annoying telling people not to buy something.
Don't enter the thread then, this might help people on the fence about buying it.

I personally will now after seeing this thread not buy Dawnguard when I buy Skyrim, now I know how mediocre it is.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
for those of us who aren't bored by skyrim, you're points are largely irrelevant. Also, sorry to say, but I've heard nothing but good things about dawnguard from people I trust more than you.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I can kinda see where you're coming from, OP, but I gotta disagree. In my opinion it was worth every penny. I've payed sixty bucks for games with stories shorter and less exciting than the DLC.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Well, it was gifted to me, so I didn't waste anything on it (I haven't played it yet). Perhaps the person who gifted it to me did, but noooooot me. ^_^

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Been playing it all day since I bought it off Steam, and I feel I need to disagree on this.

As far as I've played, it has been extremely worthwhile since its purchase.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
think I picked up skyrim from greenman gaming about a month after it came out for ~$55 or something, which was well worth it (and a bargin compared to steams $90 price-tag)
So this dlc is up on steam for $25, just under half what I paid for the full game...
with only a tiny fraction of the content?

It's funny, back in June I was all hyped to buy it, as I was just starting a new character.
but now that it's out (and that character's done) I just can't mount any enthusiasm.

probably if it comes down in price to say $15, then I'd give it a go.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I personally didn't enjoy it. I didn't think it was worth price for what I got. Also I didn't like how since I chose the Dawnguard they kept harassing me about being a vampire. It was almost as if they were going:

"Are you SURE you don't want to be a vampire?"

OF COURSE I'M BLOODY SURE! THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T ELECT TO BE ONE! STOP ASKING ME! If you really want to the player to play as a certain faction then go ahead and make it mandatory, don't keep making me pick my original choice over and over. Also the story was pretty much meh for me.