Do people dislike the Xbox One because of what it is or the functions it was supposed to have?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I don't know about people in general. I can only speak for me.

It starts with months before Xbone announcement when that one former employee of Microsoft said "DEAL WITH IT" for always-online console.

People raged over the internet which led to Microsofts' firing him. That should have given them enough clue that always-online was unwanted but they decide to continue on route of trying to fuck customers over.

I'd imagine they've had their "lets really fuck them over" mindset for months, maybe years before they decided to backpaddle within a day or two after xbone announcement.

Also, do people watch enough TV to make full use of their cable subscription anymore? I have cut my cable years ago and I haven't missed it since thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I don't actively hate on Xbone. Couldn't care any less about it. But, no.. I have no interest in forking my money to bunch of incompetent, malicious idiots.

Unpopular Opinions

May 6, 2015
Mutant1988 said:
Oh, yeah dude. I was one of the people yelling at M$ in every way, shape, and form that I could. It was complete and utter BS.

But when people were complaining about it, all I could think of was that Steam was the same way. And yet you have millions (guessing) of people who claim that Steam is some sort of god send that came from gabe newell's divine arse hole. Although I consider myself to be an "all around" gamer kind of guy... I refuse to buy anything on Steam.
And I only use Origin for the free games they offer.
My main place to go for buying games online is, indeed, GOG.

Microsoft backpedaled in a mighty fast way... After what Don Mattrick pulled on the E3 of that year, it's no wonder that the press was completely destroying it. It still would have been a terrible console, but it would have been presented better.

Don Mattrick was doing what everyone does. He gave his two weeks. Then acted like a complete smeg head. That E3 Sony picked up the dropped ball and DESTROYED Microsoft. It was hilarious! (Sony is still pretty sketchy themselves.. Losing all of our CC data and then giving us 3-6 year old games to get us NOT to sue... but it was still a huge win)

The E3 after that was Sony still trying to capitalize on the failures of that E3 from Microsoft. Though just not as hardcore.

I am glad that Xbox turned completely around when it came to their console "features". (Though snapping in Netflix when you have to grind out some gaming hours is.. Well.. Awesome. I can go from 1-60 in Neverwinter while doing a marathon of Doctor Who.)

Basically my main point was that Steam is doing what the XOne wanted to do. But, again, I'm the bad guy for not claiming that Gabe Newells glorious god-butt doesn't stink. No matter where I go, people tear me apart for saying ill of Steam.

You say you tolerate it. I have to ask why! You weren't going to tolerate it with the Xbox One!
Even if it is less shitty than the Xbox One. Shit is still shit.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Unpopular Opinions said:
You say you tolerate it. I have to ask why! You weren't going to tolerate it with the Xbox One!
Even if it is less shitty than the Xbox One. Shit is still shit.
Because I can play PC games by other means and buy games from other retailers. Valve going out of business would not turn my PC into a brick, nor would it in itself prohibit me from playing the games I bought (Or buy them elsewhere, without being forced to invest in new hardware) - Even if I do so by means that are not approved by anyone.

The point is - If I want to make sure I own something 100%, I still buy retail. All the games on Steam? I'm less attached to, to be perfectly honest. Mostly because so few new games interest me and I mostly pick up old games when they're cheap - Games I can find elsewhere if need be.

But if I buy a disc, I expect that disc to work the moment I put it into the device. If it doesn't on PC, there's ways to fix that. But it should ALWAYS work on a console, otherwise there isn't any point in having a console.

'course, the current generation of consoles really are just PCs, with monopolized markets and restricted operating systems and networks. Were it not for them buying exclusive rights to content (And the physical media thing), there would be zero point in still having them around.

I'm definitely considering buying more from Good Old Games, because my faith in Valve has been severely damaged by the whole "Skyrim mods" deal.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
boag said:
I hate on it because of what happened with its last console more than anything.

I came in late to the last console generation cause there were no games that made me want to play, in the end i bought a discounted 360, cause i thought it would be cheaper than getting a PC to play Fallout. (Mistake Number 1)

Then I started playing ME, since 2 had already come out, and all its DLC was already available and ME3 was 2 years away I thought i could get a good run out of those games (Mistake Number 2)

ME3 Shitstorm came and went and I only ever kept the console because had already bought a year of Gold and was going to let it run out before just pawning the thing (Mistake Number 3)

here I am now with a console no one wants to buy, and frankly the most ironic thing is that I only ever use it to watch youtube on the Big Screen TV, since I dont even watch cable TV anymore, so hey MS, you finally got me to use your Home Media Center for TV with the Cloud. Kudos to you.
I don't understand you're criticism. It sounds like you bought a system you weren't particularly interested in, and then continued to not be interested in it? I'm no Microsoft fan, but how is it their fault you made a bad buying decision?

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah, like others have said, Microsoft actively trying to screw us over left a really bad taste in my mouth, and the knowledge that they could re-activate all these stupid policies they had if they feel like it...I don't know, I don't trust them too much.
Plus, my room is too small to house a Kinect. The games I can play with it are, like, zero. So if they'd had their policies still, I wouldn't have been able to buy it anyway due to lack of space.

But even if all that crap hadn't happened; Again, like others have said, the games for the console don't interest me. I'm happy with my X-Box 360 (Which still works after 6 years) and my Wii U right now. I'd be interested in a PS4, but I don't have the money or the space in my room at the moment.

As an entertainment apparatus, the XB1 is...Well, there are better options, at least. I don't dislike it, I just don't care for it.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
The 'features' the Xbox One was supposed to have originally were a turn-off, yes. But when they learned that no, Always-Online requirements are not a positive 'feature' and neither is the fact that it requires a motion-sensing and audio-capturing camera system to always be on too were bad ideas, they pulled them back. So now, those aren't my issues with the Xbox One.

My issues with it now? The fact that it isn't backwards-compatible for one. I have a moderate library for my 360, mostly full of games I want to be able to play again, and the best chance I have of affording a new console (Especially a current-gen one) is selling off my current system and games to get credit towards a One. Sad, I know.

For another, there really isn't much in the way of console-exclusive games that I'm actually interested in. If anything, the PS4, which had a better reputation to begin with, and a much better reception to boot, has more interesting exclusives, what with inFamous: Second Son and Bloodborne. So, really, if I was going to get a current-gen console, it'd be a PS4.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
It's a great tool. Kinect is surprisingly responsive and, well, useful for that matter. I find it a lot more convenient to watch streams on there than on my PC, for a number of reasons.

And well, that's the problem I guess. I don't hate it, but it has little to no value to me as a game console. There are no exclusives I'm eagerly awaiting. Microsoft wanted to make it a multimedia platform, and they succeeded. I guess?

Damagingmoth47

May 7, 2015
If you want a short response: It seems Microsoft took ALOT of backwards steps just so they can compete with Facebook or twitter instead of being a gaming company.

Long response: Controllers are shit, The controllers break after a couple months of playing most FPS games (Little plastic clip,that should be metal, breaks on the inside of the left stick) causing the controller to have stick drift. That isn't even the best part, no, the best part is that if the controller isn't in warranty Microsoft just blatantly Slaps you in the face with it's Wang and says "Go buy a new one, Dumbass"

Console is shit, The console OFTEN needs to be hard reset due to Problems with Voice communication or just plain old bugs and problems (I Hard reset atleast 7 times a week). It also seems like microsoft has given up on being a gaming Company (Completely up to them, but i was under the impression that this was a Gaming console, not a 500$ Facebook machine complete with Status updates) and instead wants to compete with facebook or twitter and become an accessory to Windows 10 PCs rather than actual consoles.

Service is Shit, Warranties run out quick because Microsoft knows their products won't last long at all, and also they Ignore Ones of the most wanted things for xbox on that was ON THE XBOX 360 PEOPLE , just google how to play music without snap , YOU CAN'T, the idea has 18K votes yet still microsoft focuses on implementing Starting xbox one games FROM YOUR DAMN PC INSTEAD or like the much requested Feature of AVATARS ON THE WINDOWS 10 PC (Of which had 800 votes on Xbox.uservoice.com)

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
It's weird. I have heard good and bad things about the PS4, good and bad things about Wii U, but nearly nothing about the One. It almost seems like people just don't care enough to hate on it or something. Maybe it'll end up being like a Gamecube, like zero games, but some nice gems.

Or it could be the next Gamecube, but with shitty games. Either way, Microsoft probably won't care.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
CandideWolf said:
It's weird. I have heard good and bad things about the PS4, good and bad things about Wii U, but nearly nothing about the One.
I'd probably concur with these sentiments. I visit a bunch of somewhat diverse gaming boards and pretty much nobody talks about the Xbone. Plenty about the PS4, plenty about PC gaming, and even a bit about the Wii U, but nothing about the X1.

I'd guess it's because the X1 pretty much shares the same space with PS4 everyone just talks about everything in context of the most popular one. Add that to the fact that the X1 somehow has less exclusives then the PS4 means there's just nothing unique about it to discuss aside from it's big launch-day shitshow.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
My issues with the Xbone comes from my experience having one. The UI is slow and clunky and a clear step down from the 360. I'm fine with the controller design, but the build quality seem to be awful, my right trigger did not make it through all 4 MCC campaigns before deteriorating and then outright dying.

Speaking of the MCC, it has been a complete disaster, the online multiplayer has been a mess and virtually unplayable for me even before my controller broke, the recent patch actually made things worse for everyone, so much so that they had to cancel a tournament. The Halo 5 beta was not impressive at all, it felt like a bunch of modern trends stapled on to Halo. In Halo 4 it was loadouts, killstreaks, and sprint and in Halo 5 it is ADS, 'mobility' based abilities. Some people like to say 343 has learned from their mistakes, honestly they just ditched some of them in favor of brand new mistakes..

So a franchise I love has been pretty much run into the ground on top of issues with the console itself has ended up making me want to sell it. At this point I'm just waiting for E3 to decide whether I'm going to get a Wii U or PS4(I'll probably get both eventually, but I'm mostly just thinking about how I'm going to use the money I get from selling my Xbone).

In all honesty I wasn't expecting much, I was even suspected Halo 5 would not be up to snuff, I just figured I would get one of the two Third party friendly consoles so I could pick up the odd console exclusive like KHIII, but its been such a subpar experience I'd rather just try my luck elsewhere.

Pax Romana

Apr 13, 2015
Bob_McMillan said:
So the reason I think that people hate the console is because of all the things that the Xbone would have represented if Microsoft hadn't backpedalled.
Well quite the opposite for me honestly. I was on 360 for 7 years and then when the new gen came out I had no reason to go to PS4. Then they had a higher price, integrated kinect that couldn't be removed and bloody DRM. They said it had to be that way and then went back on all that when they realised how much people hated it. The biggest marketing clusterfuck of our time in my view and I would attribute a lot of the poor sales we see today to all that crap before release.

Anyway the PS4 is certainly the more powerful machine and the pad is better. PS plus also provides more rewards.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
Because it isn't home to any games I care about that aren't already on PC.
Bingo.
No interesting games that aren't on the PC. Same goes for PS4. I'm actually considering getting a WiiU at some point, which is blowing my mind because its been a decade since I last bought a console.

If there was something really mindblowing or that I just had to have on either console, maybe I'd be more interested, but I just feel apathetic dislike towards both the Bone and the Bore because they have nothing to offer. They're just an expensive downgrade to my PC.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I think a lot of people don't like/care about the xbone because MS hyped it up and has been stripping it of those things (or never even finishing and implementing them in the first place) they hyped on months earlier. There's also quite a few who were burned by the hardware issues from the previous two gens.

The DRM debacle still seems well lodged in the minds of many, myself included. (Though if it wasn't trashed by the public, Sony would very likely also have jumped on board with similar DRM, at least because of publisher pressure.) The cut feature of being able to share games with friends on Live was neat, but the DRM system it was designed around was guaranteed to shake the foundations of the console world and was rightly destroyed by the public. MS could have salvaged that feature, with it only working on digital downloads (which have DRM to begin with) or putting more severe limitations on it.

One thing I realized in the middle of the previous generation was that, with these internet connected consoles, the product you buy will likely have noticeably different features by the end of its life, with no changes with the hardware. The same thing goes with online features in games. The updates will take away old, possibly well liked, features and add new features. The UI could be changed or completely overhauled, and items within it could be renamed or put in different category folders. Then there's updates that have the risk of bricking your box and also the whole digital licenses for games downloaded to the built-in store. All of that is making me, as a consumer, want to wait and see what happens to all of these machines before jumping in on them. (The waiting also has the benefit of price drops!)

Remember the "New Xbox Experience?" They hyped that as a glorious UI update that would somehow make the 360 better. IMHO, it was a downgrade. I liked the blade design, which was arranged just like Sony's cross media bar on the PS3. The new one was a mess, moved crap around, and felt less organized. One you updated, you couldn't go back. Sony also played around with changing the PS3 and PSP, both good things and bad, but NXE sticks out for me. (Removal of "Other OS" would too, if I had gotten around to experimenting with my PS3.)

TL;DR: Thanks to internet connectivity, console features change so fast you might as well wait to see what the company does with their game box for the first few years, or never plug it into teh internets. Also, price drops and early hardware issues.

Bob_McMillan said:
I personally hate it because its so hard to abbreviate. Do you use Xone? That just looks stupid. Xbone? The Xbox fanboys will jump down your throat. Xbox One? Too damn long.
Just use X1. I'm sticking with xbone or the 'bone until MS pulls a "cranial-rectal separation maneuver" and names the eventual redesigned xbone the Xbox 3, Xbox 720 or something equal to or above the quality of those names. They shouldn't have made it so confusing to differentiate the original xbox from the newest iteration to begin with.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
The only reason I have ever bought an xbox is for Halo doesn't have any other games I care for. Will be the same for Xbone.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
The PS4 is basically surfing off of good PR and Bloodborne right now, and up until recently Sony pulled the same mistake as PS3 with having NO GAMES. I'm guessing Xbone is still screwed its from pre-release reputation as Hitler Machine that wants to take away all of your games and freedom.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I just don't trust Microsoft, on multiple levels:

1) I don't trust their approach to business. The fact that they even tried to implement the restrictions of requiring online connection and clamping down on pre-owned games in the first place was bad enough. The fact that they stuck to their guns until the wake of E3 when they realized that they were going to lose a huge share of the market to Sony made it worse. It was just a huge middle-finger to all those deployed military personnel and off-shore workers who liked and enjoyed the XB360 only to be told they weren't welcome at the XBONE party. Yes, they back-pedaled. Yes, I commend their attempts to make amends. But I still don't trust them.

2) Their hardware is not well-made. The XB360 was so poorly built. The XBONE is better, but still underpowered compared to the competition (probably because they've altered it so much from it's original form). I think that the original XBOX is actually a pretty swell machine, but it was too expensive for me when it was current.

3) Windows 8 and attempts to restrict/control PC gaming...do I really need to elaborate here?

The biggest thing for me on top of all this is that I've always preferred the competition. The PS2 and PS3 were better-made machines; I also preferred the controller and the exclusive titles on those platforms. I only have an original XBOX now because it was given to me this year for retro gaming. I only had a 360 because SONY made the PS3 prohibitively expensive on launch, but then it broke, so I got a PS3. And now, if/when I get a new-gen machine, it will be a PS4 and/or a WiiU. I have no need or want for an XBONE, in addition to the mistrust I described above.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
... if inferior in everyway to the PS4.
You've kind of answered your own question right there, surely?

Seems to me that being "inferior in every way" to the primary competition is a good reason to at least be dismissive of a product.

Personally, on top of everything else, I'm not interested in the new Xbox because it doesn't have any games I want to play. I can't think of a single one that I can't already play on PC.

To be fair, I haven't bought a PS4 or WiiU for the same reason.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
jklinders said:
Also i really don't see much in their library that cannot be found in a different platform. .
This is always the biggest indictment against the Xbox. Almost all of its games come out on the PS systems or PC too. Whereas the PS systems get a lot of exclusives. These are mainly in the form of JRPGs and obscure fighters, but that gives it an actual reason to be purchased instead of just upgrading a PC.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
For me, I started off the seventh gen owning an Xbox 360, and being young and essentially broke, I had no reason to try owning both consoles; at the time, it was a no brainer for me, as the 360 had games like Bioshock (before it went multiplat,) Mass Effect, Crackdown, etc, as well as having better multiplat quality and being cheaper. Owned it for a few years, and when it eventually broke, (post-warranty,) I decided that rather than buy a new one, I would instead buy a PS3, which in the ensuing years had seen a solid price drop, and of course had all kinds of exclusives I'd never gotten to try before, as I'd pretty much played everything that interested me on the 360 up to that point. Of course, there were still a few years to go, and I figured that I would eventually buy a 360 as well, probably two or three years down the road, and then get to play all of the exclusives that had released on THAT system during my absence. Genius! ...except it's been five years since my 360 broke, and I've seen zero reason to buy another one, even used. Because it just so happens that,

There was always that whole 'Lawl PS3 has no games' thing in its early lifespan, but when I actually did a comparative look between the libraries of the PS3 and Xbox 360 from the launch of the original Kinect onwards to the pre-8th gen period (because that's roughly when I 'switched' from one to the other,) it was actually the polar opposite. o.o PS3 has a solid lineup of varied titles, both Western and Japanese, whereas if you didn't own a Kinect, the only break you'd get from Halo, Gears and Forza would be a few PC-ported titles like the Witcher 2, Minecraft, and I believe a Toy Soldiers game. o_O And as someone who never was that big a fan of Halo, (which I enjoyed, but wasn't a 'console seller' for me,) Gears (which I rapidly lost interest in after chainsaw-ing the fifth enemy,) or Forza (to be fair, not a fan of most racing games,) I had pretty much zilch in terms of incentive to return.

As the reveal of the 8th gen consoles approached, however, I saw it as an opportunity to take a look at both sides of the fence; not tied down to either side, I would choose the console whose announced lineup and features were best for me, personally! Huzzah! So in order to make the best judgement, I waited til E3 to watch the now-months-old reveals for both consoles, then watched the E3 show for both sides. Wasn't even close, in my mind, PS4 it was.

The thing is, I wasn't planning to be a Day One adopter, in fact it was nearly a year before I hopped on at all, so I kept an open mind, watching both consoles closely to see how they developed. For me, the Kinect was a BIG sticking point; I had no interest in it, largely skipped the Wii because my mancave just does not care for that stuff, and spending an extra hundred bucks for something I neither needed, nor wanted, was a big 'Heck No!' And, of course, it eventually was dropped, and I decided 'Okay! This might be a tough choice after all!' Up until news got out that one prior exclusive after another was moving to PC, meaning I could just hop on my roommate's rig to play it all I pleased... it definitely let the air out of the Xbox One's tires for me. Not just because of what titles HAD gone to PC, but because it led to the niggling question in the back of my mind 'What OTHER games, among those they've announced, will end up on PC?' Spending money on a console to play some awesome games, I don't mind- I'm going to need to spend a good chunk of change to upgrade my own PC enough whenever Star Citizen graces us with its presence =P - but spending money on a console, only to realize I could have just waited six months and spared myself the expense, is less appealing a prospect.

So, yeah, I don't dislike the Xbox One, it's just that right now I don't feel like it's a terribly reliable option for me. o.o The only titles that are all but guaranteed never to end up on PC don't really interest me anyway. Having played the crap out of Infamous: SS and Bloodborne, among others, I'm quite pleased with my choice of console, and have no regrets, really.