Do you believe in love?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
By that I mean, do you think it is a real, tangible thing that people can experience sincerely or do you feel it is just a temporary though powerful infatuation?

I fall into the latter category. Ive seen too man people who "love" each other hurt their partners in ways that cannot be described. Elderly people who have been married 40 or 50 years will tell you straight up they are glad their spouse died because they were just so sick of being around them ALL THE TIME.

People use love as an excuse to get married or have sex or whatnot and I think to myself whenever I hear that they are just deluding themselves. That it is just a temporary, if intense, crush.

I've also been told I'm wrong and that I won't really know it until I HAVE loved. I don't buy that. I've been in some serious relationships before with some pretty intense feelings but like all things, they just came to an end. I think love is just a fairy tale that doesn't translate to the real world.

What do you think? Am I right? Wrong? Why?

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Love: 2 people slightly deluded in each others favour.

But yes, yes i do, it exists in some form.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
i think youre wrong. I saw my grandmother pass away a year after my grandfather died, after 62 years of Marriage, from grief.

John Connor M

Aug 29, 2011
I have no doubt someone else will say this but this quote pretty much sums up what I think:

"Love is just a chemical, we give meaning to it by choice."

(ala Bioshock 2)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I didn't use to believe in love, but i've changed my views.

Like many, i've had a girlfriend i used to say i loved and who was the world to me. Like many early relationships it soon crashed and burned, so like any early teenager would i went into angst mode for a while. Luckily i snapped out of it pretty quickly, but my thought remained the same:

That it had all just been a fleeting emotion that was quickly torn apart by reality.

My current girlfriend feels different though. It's a relationship where i care about her and want the best for her without wanting to smother her. It just feels more real and pleasant.

And that's one of the things i think is wrong with how people see love.
People think love is a strong overwhelming emotion that will always let you feel like you're walking on clouds. In truth it can, and will at times, be like that.

What i percieve as true love means you want the best for someone, be comfortable enough around them to have an intimate relationship. At times you'll want nothing more than to be with your significant other, but you'll both still respect eachother enough to let the other get some personal space without getting upset and pissy about it. (Like my ex got when i wanted to play video games and she kept nagging about how i didn't give her enough attention O.e)

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
I think you're wrong. I think the word is used too easily, which leads to these kinds of questions. I've strongly crushed on about a dozen girls in my life, I've been in love with two. Usually it's not obvious which is which during, only in hindsight. I'm engaged to the second, but I'm still friends with the first.

Love isn't permanent. It CAN be permanent, but it's not magically permanent just because we want it to be. It's not like a crush though. It's not a desire to possess or please, it's more like you can affect your own feelings by affecting theirs. Man, that sentence sucked. When I'm crushing on a girl, I try to treat her. I'll buy her things or do things for/with her to make her happy. In love I do things just because, but they are the things that will make her happy. I'm really not explaining this well, but if I could explain it well then I'd be the greatest philosopher/poet/etc ever.

Like I said, I do think people say "Love" when they mean "crushing on", or "like", or "desire". Love is a loss-of-self, without the negative connotations that implies. More like a deliberate blurring of self - you're still your own individual, but also more.

I can't prove that to you, and it could be different for you, but there it is.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Love exits in the form of chemical reactions. When you meet someone you 'love', the chemicals in their sweat matches yours in the right way. You have alternating immune systems, meaning that your children will likely be healthier.
No matter how love feels, it's chemicals in you're brain doing that. Don't dismiss it, remember tah everything you feel is the result of brain chemicals.
Of course, this doesn't bring it down. Since being with someone you love makes you, and hopefully them, happy, it makes sense to pursue it and stuff.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
I would recommend talking to different elderly people.

I believe in love. I've been in love twice and am marrying my fiancee next year. Call it a chemical or a temporary crush if you will. It feels to me like whenever this topic comes up (and it comes up a surprising amount) a lot of sad dudes say they don't believe in love because they simply can't get a girl.

And being in love doesn't mean having a good, lasting relationship. Love doesn't solve all your problems. It takes work and a healthy dose of maturity.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
"love is a cruel trick played on us to help perpetuate the species".

Yeah it exists, never been in it but ive seen it many enough times.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
If you havn't experienced; don't judge.

That's like asking a blind man if colour is beautiful or not. Some say, nah, it's overrated, I'm happy as it is. And others say they imagine colour as being beautiful.

Love is a powerful thing. It can change lives for the better, or the worse. It's so powerful that many people fear it, but even through their fears embrace it because it's an unstoppable thing.

I can't blame you for not agreeing if you've never loved. Loving must look and sound pretty silly in your eyes.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Depends on the definition of love I guess.
It isn't like love is less real only because it isn't necessarily eternal.
Uranium degrades over time, but that doesn't mean uranium isn't real.

That Greek Guy

Jul 29, 2009
John Connor M said:
I have no doubt someone else will say this but this quote pretty much sums up what I think:

(ala Bioshock 2)
so what? saying that doesnt make you smart. every single feeling is a chemical reaction.

John Connor M

Aug 29, 2011
That Greek Guy said:
John Connor M said:

(ala Bioshock 2)
so what? saying that doesnt make you smart. every single feeling is a chemical reaction.
I never said it made me smart, if you read what I said I quoted that because that is how I see love.
In future read before posting :)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
It exists, but the notion that it is for everyone is ridiculous. It exists for normal perfectly functional people, it dies not exist for abominations. We have to be grateful for those abominations though. Happy people rarely bother to change anything. When deprived of such things, people are driven to change things around them to make it better.