Do you believe in the sixth sense?

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
Yes,I do. In fact,I have a minor sixth sense, Which on occasion allows me to Lucid Dream and I'll predict a strange event from the next day, once I even predicted getting into a car crash. THATS what left me thinking it wasn't just deja vu

Ridonculous_Ninja

Apr 15, 2009
ThrobbingEgo said:
Eqan Asif said:
PurePareidolia said:
rokkolpo said:
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*
How do you suggest proving someone can see the future when it manifests how it does for me?

I see very, very short clips in PERFECT clarity of the future. Everything is exactly how it will happen; I hear it, see it and feel it. But I forget I have dreamt it until it happens and I pause to think, "Wow, wait, I've done this before,".

How do you prove that to the scientific community? You cannot, so you must be content in the knowledge that you believe in it. So in that sense it's kind of like religion.

Huh.

Maybe I should stop railing on them for believing in God...

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
ThrobbingEgo said:
Eqan Asif said:
PurePareidolia said:
rokkolpo said:
hypnosis is very real.

also many other weird things.
*watch the uri geller show, freaky shit there*
Hypnosis isn't a sense and if you watch Uri Geller a bit more closely he really sucks at sleight of hand. Just saying. It was that or make a joke about The sixth sense being an alright movie and going "oh wait".

Anywho, you haven't told me what you mean by sixth sense aside from something vaguely approaching the description of a 'gut feeling' which I consider less of a 'sense' as an instinctive conclusion based on input from your other senses. If for example you walked into the same room with your eyes closed you probably wouldn't have gotten any feeling of 'bad news'.

Similarly 'sensing doorways and walls' is called memory. as in I'm familiar with this room and can vaguely estimate the location of solid objects within it due to having seen it.
Again, walk into a completely unfamiliar room with your eyes closed and then try sensing the furniture.

If you're referring to some form of telepathy and being able to glean thoughts and feelings from the minds of others using means undetectable to any form of medical science, then I don't believe that either. The human brain has no structures that resemble transmitters or receivers of any form of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, the skull insulates any bioelectric field it does produce and no accounts of psychic abilities follow any of the laws of physics, such as distance based falloff or being able to be blocked by dense objects.
Compound that with the fact that if something was happening we would certainly be able to detect it, build our own receivers or at least form a theory that predicts it's existance.

The fact that every so called psychic who ever lived has either been shown to be a fraud or has refused to be tested does not give me confidence in such a phenomona's existance.
Even if one of them was a psychic, they all follow methods indistinguishable from stage magic techniques (such as cold reading and sleight of hand) and nine times out of ten an honest magician can do them better, meaning that any effect that there is would be utterly useless in any practical sense.

Finally it makes no sense from an evolutionary standpoint - we don't see chimps having the beginnings of telepathy, and if it was a real trait, it would provide significant evolutionary advantage and large numbers of people would have it. we'd also be able to track the gene's progression geographically via it's frequency of expression and all that cool stuff.

In summary, no, there's no as of yet undiscovered 'sixth sense', psychic or otherwise and there's no plausible mechanism that could explain it's existence and that is also compatible with the laws of physics.
Oh dear. I'd hate to go in a debate with you. So many lies--my head just might explode
What lies? Show me a study in a peer reviewed medical journal that demonstrates the remote possibility of psychic abilities (not just a book, but a peer reviewed medical study).

Go ahead, I'll wait. http://scholar.google.ca/

I'd hate to get in a debate with you. You make accusations without providing any reasons or support.
And I will reciprocate that feeling, graciously. And the reason I don't want to go in that debate is not because any personal trait that makes it formidable, but because of the very nature of the subject. It is touchy; [in my experience] any comments on the subject matter are perceived as personal insults: it is because we only believe in what we are looking for. You have already found the answer you are looking for, we all do that from the very day we are born. And it is the nature of man that we cannot unsee that what we have found: I say lies not because they are contradictory to any sort of conventional, logical observation. They are lies because they revolve around a system contrived to satisfy our basest of desires--power. It makes us feel good when something agrees with us, for many it is faith that binds them, and represents for them an eternal truth. But the trend is changing, and we have replaced that faith with science, even though it holds not truer than it's predecessor.

You can wait, but you will be waiting a very, very, long time. It suffices that "I" think there is a sixth sense, and I will be lying to myself if I try to justify it any other way--the way that you are doing it.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
SamFancyPants252 said:
and even if everything is completely silent and I have my eyes closed I can still 'sense' doorways and walls and people around me.
That's due to your brain mapping your surroundings. Blind people have a similar way of doing that, but by feeling/hearing ect. If you want to call your brain a sense, go ahead.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
How do you suggest proving someone can see the future when it manifests how it does for me?

I see very, very short clips in PERFECT clarity of the future. Everything is exactly how it will happen; I hear it, see it and feel it. But I forget I have dreamt it until it happens and I pause to think, "Wow, wait, I've done this before,".

How do you prove that to the scientific community? You cannot, so you must be content in the knowledge that you believe in it. So in that sense it's kind of like religion.

Huh.

Sounds like deja vu, not actual prediction. My null hypothesis would be you experience something, think "did I predict that?" then remember "oh yeah, I think I did predict something like that one time", as you go on trying to 'remember' it, you begin filing in the details with your current experience. This alteration of memories is not an undocumented pheonomona, much like an internal Chinese whispers - memories can be spliced together, details can be added and they often alter to emphasise emotions or feelings you associate with that memory.

With that in mind, one of the tips for lucid dreamers is to keep a "dream diary". In this instance you could, as you wake up, write in a notebook your dream in as much detail as possible, hopefully including times and identifiers such as clothing, location, all sorts of specifics that would ensure you had to be accurate. Then compare it to things you experience. If you forget it as soon as you wake up, and are unable to keep such a diary, it's more likely that it's deja vu, not prediction. On the other hand if you can get a consistent trend of accurate predictions (presumably becoming more accurate as you get into the habit of recording in more detail) you might be onto something. I would wager you'd have a lot of dreams that don't come true, or that come true several years later at which point your memory has been very much altered from what it once may have been (this has happened to me at least once).

I guess if you wanted to be really thorough you could sleep in an FMRI for several nights, and compare your brain activity to people who don't predict the future in order to look for abnormal neurological activity indicative of something strange happening. If your brain function looks identical to other dreamers, chances are you're not doing anything they aren't while you sleep.

The problem with 'being content in the knowledge you believe in it' is the same as with religion, in that you've made the assumption you're predicting the future, but haven't sought to test it in any replicable or documented way.

Alternatively, it could be a glitch in the Matrix - it happens when they change something you see.

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
Eqan Asif said:
And I will reciprocate that feeling, graciously. And the reason I don't want to go in that debate is not because any personal trait that makes it formidable, but because of the very nature of the subject. It is touchy; [in my experience] any comments on the subject matter are perceived as personal insults: it is because we only believe in what we are looking for. You have already found the answer you are looking for, we all do that from the very day we are born. And it is the nature of man that we cannot unsee that what we have found: I say lies not because they are contradictory to any sort of conventional, logical observation. They are lies because they revolve around a system contrived to satisfy our basest of desires--power. It makes us feel good when something agrees with us, for many it is faith that binds them, and represents for them an eternal truth. But the trend is changing, and we have replaced that faith with science, even though it holds not truer than it's predecessor.

You can wait, but you will be waiting a very, very, long time. It suffices that "I" think there is a sixth sense, and I will be lying to myself if I try to justify it any other way--the way that you are doing it.
lol wut? Seriously hope you're just trolling.

Let's see. You accuse him lying but refuse to debate on the subject. You don't want the debate because the subject in question is "touchy". Then you states that his believes revolve around a system that "satisfies power". And then you say that science is no "truer" than faith and you believe in six sense simply because you believe in it. So basically you have nothing support your claim and nothing behind your accusation.

You should run for a political position. I'm sure you'll do well, seeing that you can already say a lot without saying anything.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Eqan Asif said:
So he was lying in a way that was not actually lying, but correlated with all medical tests done in good faith for the purpose of reliably gaining knowledge. I'll take those "lies" over nudged observations and unfounded conclusions.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I believe in occasional occurrences of precognition or mild intuition.

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy horatio.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Eqan Asif said:
PurePareidolia said:
rokkolpo said:
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

Huh.

How can you distinguish that from the well-documented phenomena of deja vu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu], confirmation bias [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias], and false memories [http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/02/therapists-can-implant-false-beliefs.php]?

If you can't distinguish them from these very real phenomena, which produce effects that feel vividly real, how do you know that the mundane explanation is not correct?

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
I believe there are more things at work in this universe then what can be explained doctor.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
cerebus23 said:

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy horatio.
Does the ability to distinguish Shakespeare's Hamlet from reality fall under mild intuition?

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
But I forget I have dreamt it until it happens and I pause to think, "Wow, wait, I've done this before,".
Man why does that always happens to people with pre-cognition. Makes you wonder if something mysterious is preventing them from doing anything about it.

Something like, stupidity?

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Eqan Asif said:

I take no offense to being told I'm wrong. By all means, go all out - if I am wrong, it's the only way I'll become right. Now I don't think it's likely, but I'm absolutely open to the possibility. In fact I would have no qualms about debating anyone over the nature of the phenomona or lack thereof. While you're correct about confirmation biases, I like to consider myself as above such things as one can be without being a robot. I change my mind all the time - I used to believe in psychics, for one. And I would love nothing more than to have psychic powers, I just don't think the hypothesis is plausible, nor do I think evidence has shown it to exist.

About here you start losing me, I'm sorry to say. Our basest desires are power? that's hardly universal, my basest desires involve knowledge and novelty, others may involve spiritual enlightenment, others still may involve freedom or happiness. Even so, surely if one was motivated to believe things based on the possibility of personal power, psychic abilities would be far more preferable than the lack thereof.

I become even further confused when you start saying science is no truer than faith. Now I understand you may not be familiar with the scientific method, however I most certainly am. The difference between scientific truth and faith based dogma is the former comes from empirical experimentation, falsifying hypotheses, peer review and an institution dedicated to being as correct as possible whilst acknowledging it's own inability to reach perfect certainty, ensuring there is always room for self correction. The latter begins and ends with a single assertion, where critical analysis is discouraged and praise is heaped upon those who believe, and doubt is considered a moral offense. Science is dedicated to becoming right, faith is dedicated to promoting an ideology of some sort as being infallible truth, observation be damned.

Ultimately, scientific inquiry replaces privately held beliefs with publicly verifiable theories, ensuring nobody has to take offense, and the truth becomes evident to all who will listen. That's it's core strength - it removes lies, biases and obfuscations preventing the situation you describe. That is why we have it, and why simply asserting your belief but refusing to discuss it is an ultimately meaningless action.

cerebus23 said:

I will forever associate that quote with Storm [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_htqDCP-s], by Tim Minchin

NIHILHATE

Aug 21, 2009
It disturbs me how many people treat extra sensed people like crazy idiots. It's basically instinct, though strangely enough only evolved people seem to have it, and with the worldwide general IQ constantly decreasing, so many people are so blinkered and used to the norm, happy to sacrifice knowledge and freedom for three kids, a suit and tie job, a car and a fucking mortgage. These people make me sick.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
no,
People say things like "I was thinking about "insert name" and then they called me/walked in the door, WOW!"
But how often do you think of someone and not run into them or hear from them?
Same thing with dreams coming true.
Its all in your head so to speak

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Marter said:
Marik2 said:
I mean come on haven't you guys ever gone to a room and you know you would here bad news when you just entered it?
You mean those times where everyone is staring at their shoes with tears coming from their eyes?

I don't consider that to be a "sixth sense", more like "common sense".
common sense for some people is a "sixth sense" we all know that guy that dosnt have any....yes him...the guy who shot fireworks out of his ass cheeks last 4th of July