Do you buy games you don't have consoles for?

kaiZie

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, i buy games for consoles i dont own, so does my room mate. neither of us own a PS3 yet be bought eternal sonata, i dont own a DS but i bought pokemon soul silver. Plus, id probably buy something for the ps3 if it was one of those games u have a feeling about being huge in a few years time...like any Tales game lol

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
reg42 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Well kinda. I bought both Crysis and World in Conflict before my last re-build when all i had was an old pentium D and a slightly busted 8600GTS (which still works better then ever to this day in my mother's PC i built out of all string, gum and paper clips. That thing runs more reliably than my new one. It's baffling!)

Both games looked like ass on that old buld but i bought them as almost an aspiration "One day, i will run you. and run you at max!" i vowed. And i now do. Feels good man.
My relationship with Oblivion started like that. When I got it I had 256mb of RAM.
Dayyyyyym. Windows XP has trouble coping with that little RAM. Right now im on 6GB of ram. That's arround 35 times more than that!

I feel your pain, freind of mine once had a PC with windows XP and only 128MB of RAM and fucking Norton Internet Security (the biggest waste of time/ computing resources ever invented). You clicked then read the newspaper for a little while.
Yeah, times were tough back then. Luckily, now I've got a fairly decent PC, so I don't need to worry about whether I can run stuff or not.

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Welcome to the Escapist :)
I have never bought a game for a console I don't own. I kind of understand why you did it, collector's edition and all, but you can't check it works until you get a PS3, unless you have friends who owns one you can try it on.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Not really but there is a time I did something similar: I bought bioshock from a local store when my xbox360 was still waiting to be delivered.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
James13v said:
Welcome to the escapist, I hope you enjoy your stay, don't go into the basement. I hope that short post was a one off, and you will contribute more in the future.
O.T. No, because that would be a stupid thing to do, unless it was for someone else or by accident.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
Buying a game for a console we don´t have is plain retarded.
The only reason someone would do that would be to show it off.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
No.

I did buy a game for PC I knew I couldn't run though, but I was in the process of building one so it was to give me even more hype when parts arrive.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Yeah, sure. Every once in a while.

Im a retro-collector, you see, so I pick up random games for random consoles if the games are rare or cheap. I own a bunch of game i cant play.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
That's a waste of money in my book. I'd say first get the planned console then get the games. Firstly you might not even enjoy the feel of the console and secondly there's nothing worse than having an exciting game sitting there and not being able to play it (I should know, I got a copy of Dead Rising a fine christmas a few years back and the 360 was in for repairs).

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I do this regularly! ...No, I'm not joking.

Because most of my friends are too lazy to open bank accounts or have accounts that don't give them a card etc. So they ask me to get games for them from Amazon, Play, whatever and because I (mainly) used my (now busted) Xbox, I did buy PC, PS3, DS and Wii games which is technically buying games for which I don't own the console for

Snarky Username said:
Oh, and by the way, nice first thread. Most first threads are some old meme or some thread about how Portal is the best thing ever. Good job!
Seconded, so leave your sanity at the door and join the party!

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
I bought monster hunter tri not knowing my brother had 'borrowed' my wii. Couldn't play it for like 3 weeks or so. Really, really annoying

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah I buy games for the older consoles like PS2 and Xbox because my friends don't use them anymore and there are games I've always wanted to try like Halo and Shadow of the Colossus.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
would you buy a car if you couldn't drive?

of course i don't, i don't vast sums of cash, so i don't waste it.

Smilas

Apr 3, 2010
I wouldn't do that. Its simply a waste of money to buy a game you cant play? Why would you ever do that...

EDIT: It's like buying a car radio on sale, without having a car.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Yes, actually. I have bought Silent Hill 2-4 for the PS2, despite not owning a PPS2 at present, since I gave mine to my younger brother when his own died on him.