Do you cry when in physical pain?

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
My eyes may water up from the pain but I don't break down crying and sobbing.

Emotional pain and trauma turns me into Mr. Waterworks though even when it is not my own. I'm a bit of an empath.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Sometimes, yeah. I mean, I don't go into a crying fit if I get a spinter, but...

Last time I can remember crying from pain is when I feel through my grandmother's porch. I was fine, and I knew I was fine, but both of my legs hurt from the knees down for days.

So...stuff like that. Yeah.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I used to when I was younger, now it takes something really extreme to get me to shed tears.
The tiniest bump will usually cause me to swear though.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I can't remember the last time I did. I would have been a child, so that doesn't really count. But then, I don't do anything dangerous, and I have a high pain threshold, so whether that's because I'm not the type to cry when in pain, or if it's simply because I haven't been in enough pain I don't know. I do swear, a lot, when in pain.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I'm not known to burst out in tears every time I stub a toe or anything of the sort, but admittedly a while ago when I hit my leg really badly my eyes watered a bit. I didn't exactly bawl, but I found it really painful because I was forced to walk on it.

I am pretty soft, though. I don't take hits well at all.

asylumsweetie

May 20, 2011
I'm female, and I don't believe I've ever cried due to physical pain. It's not that I'm not sensitive to it, I just more often respond with swearing and anger (if it's relatively minor) or trying to figure out what to do about it if it's a big deal. I think I've just always been rather good at compartmentalizing that kind of anxiety.

The worst pain I've ever been in was the second time I broke my kneecap. The second worst pain was the first time. I didn't cry, I did swear a lot though, and then had to hop all the way across campus leaning on my friends shoulder to get to the car so I could go to the hospital. Not fun. But I was mostly annoyed, not weepy.

I don't really understand the reaction to cry when in pain. It doesn't make sense to me. Anger is an understandable response because pain naturally sends you into a state of fight or flight and you're preparing to defend yourself. Crying however seems weird to me. I suppose its a call for aid from the rest of the herd? But really, sucking it up, getting the tree off your leg while you're adrenalin is still high, and getting to a medical facility seems more helpful to me. That's not meant to be a judgement on people who do, of course, sorry if it sounds that way. I just mean that personally it doesn't make sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The last time I was in severe pain, I was cracking jokes.

Not my best material, but I wasn't crying. As they were rolling me into the ER, no less.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
I used to when I was little ( Like 8 ish) but learned to deal with it. I don't think I've cried in pain for a while now but then again I've never broken a bone, get stabbed, get shot etc.. So Idk how I would deal with intense pain.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
When I was younger sure, but that's more of a scared/nervous reaction to an injury anyway. Now when I get a stupid but intensely painful injury, like a stubbed toe I'll jump around and turn the air blue. If it's really serious trauma then I'll curl up and bare my teeth and moan to myself.

BlueOnBlue

Jan 29, 2010
The last time I remember crying was when I was 15 and had just been punched in the balls really, really, hard. It wasn't really crying as much as just involuntary tearing up of the eyes and it only lasted like a minute. I still remember how painful that incident was.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I haven't cried from pain since I was... I dunno eight? Somewhere around there. You know, that age where you stop being a ***** and crying all the damn time and you learn to just suck it up.
I'll say "ow" and curse, or if it's really bad I might shout out, but pain hasn't driven me to tears since I was a little kid.

I've broken bones, dislocated joints, had concussions, been knocked out, even got my face smashed-in once, but I've never more than grimaced and walked (if I could) it off.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
No idea, the last time I was in so much physical pain I cried when I was about 7-8 and pretty much ripped a small part of my ear off, and I had to get stitches... damn that was painful as much as I can remember.

Apart from that, in all my life (I'm 16) I don't think I have ever cried from physical pain. I imagine I would though if I was ever in a lot of pain.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Used do. Don't know about now. I remember back when I was 12 or 13 I got burnt by a blowtorch. Cried then. I think that was really the last time I've cried at pain. It fucking hurt.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
asylumsweetie said:
I'm female, and I don't believe I've ever cried due to physical pain. It's not that I'm not sensitive to it, I just more often respond with swearing and anger (if it's relatively minor) or trying to figure out what to do about it if it's a big deal. I think I've just always been rather good at compartmentalizing that kind of anxiety.

The worst pain I've ever been in was the second time I broke my kneecap. The second worst pain was the first time. I didn't cry, I did swear a lot though, and then had to hop all the way across campus leaning on my friends shoulder to get to the car so I could go to the hospital. Not fun. But I was mostly annoyed, not weepy.

I don't really understand the reaction to cry when in pain. It doesn't make sense to me. Anger is an understandable response because pain naturally sends you into a state of fight or flight and you're preparing to defend yourself. Crying however seems weird to me. I suppose its a call for aid from the rest of the herd? But really, sucking it up, getting the tree off your leg while you're adrenalin is still high, and getting to a medical facility seems more helpful to me. That's not meant to be a judgement on people who do, of course, sorry if it sounds that way. I just mean that personally it doesn't make sense.
Interestingly enough, there was an article on cracked a while back that claimed the same thing you just speculated. Basically, the idea is that if, say, you were injured while hunting a woolly mammoth of fighting off a pack of wolves, your tears would alert the rest of the tribe that you were injured or otherwise in distress, without the need for you to actually make a sound and alert whatever it is that injured you.