Do you ever just...not care?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I mean like seriously. Do you ever have a moment where you're looking around at all the big triple A announcements for upcoming games and upcoming consoles and all that stuff and you're just like

"...I really don't care about any of this."

Just this weird gaming atrophy.

I mean I've got a few 3DS games I'm looking forward to, so I'm not completely gone but still...I'm just looking at Wii U/360/PS3/PS4/Xbone news and I'm just like "I just don't care."

Who else? Anyone else ever have these moments? Doesn't have to be right now. Just in general. Where it just seems like the vast majority of all gaming news is stuff you have virtually no interest in.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Anytime something Nintendo related happens. I just don't care... new Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Pokemon, I just know that none of these games will have any effect on games that I like. Also, sport games.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
My opinion of various games are on a case-by-case basis that cannot be used as a means to answer such a question, and so would it be for many others.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Most of the time.

99% of video games do not interest me in the slightest. Admittedly I've a very narrow interest in them, but to me, most are just boring.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Most shooters nowadays do that.
"Oh hey, I can shoot someone... from cover! Or with an automatic assault rifle! And I can regenerate my health!"
There's some differences and some I do genuinely enjoy and to be fair there seems to be somewhat of a resurgence of more... "old school but not" type games which is good I guess.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I go through phases where I don't care, but that's usually because I've just burned out on video games for the moment. I tune out for a while and after a bit of a break from all but maybe one or two old standbys that I always love playing my interest in video games is usually completely renewed when I come back to it because I've started to miss it and I can get excited about playing new things.

Sometimes you just need to step away from games for a while in order to be able to appreciate them again.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
This is happening to you now? I've been more or less in that state of mind since Modern Warfare happened.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Huh..? What? Did you just say something...? Sorry, I wasn't listening.

*SIGH*

Fucking lint. Why is there always so much lint on my black t-shirts? Oh, well. Nevermind.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
2011 was a great year for gaming. Since then there just haven't been as many titles on my radar. Back then there were Portal 2, inFamous 2, Batman: Arkham City, Skyrim and many more. The only games coming out that interest me at the moment are The Last of Us and Dark Souls II.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I don't care about any of AAA titles right now.
Some indie games looks promising, but that's about it.
Fallout4 might get me interested in gaming again.
Oh, well, time to get back to Minecraft :)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
It happens all the time. Most of 2012 was that way for me, there weren't many games that had me on the edge of my seat while waiting for them to be released, but there were some good games even then. Right now I have my mind set on Nintendo and their upcoming 3DS games and Tales of Xillia which will be out in August. I rarely stop caring about all the upcoming games, but I often don't care about a good portion of the upcoming games.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Normally i hardly ever buy new releases, but this year is looking up to be a good one for me.

I've had Metro LL and Legacy of Romulus, there's also two new pokemon games in the pipes and the possiblility of that MMO the ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R people are making becoming open beta at the end of the year...

This has been the first year in a while that's actually got games i am looking forward too

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I have this with pretty much anything related to Valve. Which is unfortunate because The Escapist seems to write a news article whenever one of their employees sneezes.

vv85

May 25, 2013
I'm the kinda guy that plays AAA titles 2 years + after they debuted (I'm only now thinking about buying Skyrim). So I've never really cared...

But to answer your question, knowing about the current generation politics and limitations and expectations, etc etc.

No
I do not care.

I do not want another modern war shooter
I dont care if the car has 6% more realistic suspension
I dont need a 3rd person action-adventure equivalent of facebook
I dont find a spreadsheet and a convoluted story fun

Modern gaming is not for me
I'll just stick with my marbles, hula hoop, and things that actually entertain rather than just generate profit for profits sake.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I don't care at all most off the time.
That said, I am not that much into gaming anymore. I don't make the time for it anymore.
But, the games I do end up caring about are usually the ones that I suspected of being terrible.

Like Okami, Kingdom Hearts and the new Devil May Cry.
Fantastic games.

Autotelic

May 21, 2013
I used to be really excited for new releases as a kid when I was playing my GBA and Gamecube. New Zelda, Pokémon, and other such titles were fairly sparse. I had a lot of free time and I usually would have played my older games to death by the time new games came out.

Fast-forward about a decade: I've taken up PC gaming, my tastes have broadened and developed, and gaming has gotten progressively more mainstream. As such, the market is over-saturated. Indie gaming, as well as Steam promos in which free games are given out, means masses of cheap and free games are available; each of them just as effective as a source of escapism as the last. My free time is gone and has been replaced by the responsibilities of impending adulthood. I'm aiming to move out, and I know that I need to save up to make sure I have enough money to sustain myself when I do.

When you put all these factors together - no, I really don't get excited about new releases. They just make me feel bad when I realise that even if I could afford new games, I probably wouldn't find the time to play them, and even if I did, I'd feel guilty about splashing out on something new when I already have a library of fantastic games that I haven't really played all that much.

The last time I bought a new game was when Borderlands 2 first came out last year, and I regret doing so. I hardly found time to play it and never completed it.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
so far only 3 releases this year have me interested and one just because of the IP. Deadpool(the just because title), total war: Rome 2, and payday 2. nothing else this year jumps out at me so yeah i guess i just dont care anymore

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
I was a bit like that last year, but with things like Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, and Last of Us being released I have now regained interest. Though since most of those have been released I'll probably lose interest again by the end of the year, only to be picked up again by Cyberpunk 2077.

So it's fluctuating, I would say. You look forward to some games, play them, finish them, then replay some of your favourites and classics until there's something new on the horizon.