Do you fear death?

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
This damned world is getting reset every big bang anyway. The black holes up in the sky, in due time they will suck up all shining matter in the universe, then eachother, compressing everything into a very very small space, and then the universal DNA code goes boom. Springing forth the universe again, and again, and again.
I doubt fear will stop me, but for the sake of living and progressing this stupid monkey-hybrid of a race further, I will try to avoid death. I have yet to fly a jetpack, damn you!

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Fearing death benefits you none. Aknowledging death, coming to terms with it, and coming to the realisation that it is in your best interest to live your given life to the fullest...Benefits you quite a hefty bundle. Sure, the end may be painful, it may be sudden and unwanted...But whatever. Pain is temporary, and Punctuality is always looked upon favourably. The way I see it, it's a debt we all have to pay, you can pay it at any time between birth and about 110 years. But until you have paid it off, you owe yourself as much fun and enrichment as you can fit in before your due date.

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
nope, my life philosphy on death is, when it's ur time to go, it's ur time to go. take life as it is, and live without regrets.

Nov 12, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
did i say that was bad? are you looking to argue with no one for no reason?

i was just saying that if we got to that point in technology, we could solve alot more problems than simply making ourselves live longer.
Excuse me for being paranoid, I often am. I'd have to say though that death is probably our most grave problem next to pollution. Imagine if Eintein were immortal... or Mozart... or Shakespeare?

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
I dont really think i'm worried about death itself, its more about how it will happen.

If i'm hit by a crash landing aircraft and instantly toasted to a crisp, fine. But if i was in an earthquake and got stuck under tonnes of rubble with just enough room to breath, and itch on my nose, and all my limbs crushed by the debris... that is nasty

so Death itself, f*^k it, its bound to happen someday. Its the "how" that crossed my mind. I also ride fast motorbikes - safely - but still, i kinda push the envelope.

DeadXV

Dec 24, 2009
I dont fear death, more the manner in witch ill die. For instance im afraid ill get viciously torn apart by some thing (machine or animal) or killed in an accident or shot or stabbed or just of old age. I guess the uncertainty of my death is what gets me.

(Son of a *****, ninja'd by the guy above me)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I belive the question should be "Do you fear there is nothing after death?" since if we knew for a fact there was an afterlife, a lot of the fear would be gone.

Yes, but I fear eternity/infinity even more.

I can kinda sorta wrap my head around the concept of not existing, of the universe moving on without me. I'm not happy about it, but I can come close to grasping it. It's hard since me existing is the basis for all I know and understand.

But eternity/infinity is something I can't comprehend, and whenever I try, it scares the bejesus out of me. Because if existance/soul/whatever is infinite, then isn't it kinda pointless? And if it's not infinite, isn't it simply death, only later?

Finally, regardless of wether you have or don't have an immortal soul that goes on, when you die you are gone. At least, the person you will be at that time. At least some of what you are is determined by your body, by its chemical processes. Even if your soul moves on, that part of you will be gone and you will become someone/something different. That also gives me the creeps, knowing that even if my soul gets to exist forever, I'm gone. On the bright side, I'll be gone in a decade or two, as my personality changes. So that's kinda comforting...

Sep 14, 2009
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
gmaverick019 said:
did i say that was bad? are you looking to argue with no one for no reason?

i was just saying that if we got to that point in technology, we could solve alot more problems than simply making ourselves live longer.
Excuse me for being paranoid, I often am. I'd have to say though that death is probably our most grave problem next to pollution. Imagine if Eintein were immortal... or Mozart... or Shakespeare?
our most grave problem?

was that pun intended or just coincidence...

and i would say next to pollution,overcrowding,food control, and every other thing in the galaxy that is trying to kill us on a molecular level (diseases), and id rather make human beings better/more efficient before we extend our time on earth, whats the point of living for 200-400 years if your still the same fat waste of space that you've always been? (not at you directly, just saying alot of people that don't do anything.)

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I'm not scared of dying so much as the manner of my death. I can envision many horribly painful and long in the taking types of deaths and that's not even counting the weird shit, that's just everyday accidents that could possibly happen in a given area.

Nov 12, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
our most grave problem?

and i would say next to pollution,overcrowding,food control, and every other thing in the galaxy that is trying to kill us on a molecular level (diseases), and id rather make human beings better/more efficient before we extend our time on earth, whats the point of living for 200-400 years if your still the same fat waste of space that you've always been? (not at you directly, just saying alot of people that don't do anything.)
Yeah, I totally forgot overcrowding. But that's not really a problem and neither is pollution to that matter. Those things are man-made. Death, on the other hand, is not. Neither is disease.

All it takes for overcrowding to become a non-issue is a lot of education and birth control. To take care of pollution we just need to be wary of our environment and manage our resources correctly, minimizing waste in the process. So, all in all, these particular issues can be brought down by what is known as "common sense".

P.S.: and a pun was part of the plan. ^_^

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Do I fear death? I'd have to say No.

The way I see it, it's just like turning off a computer. Nothing happens from the computer's perspective while it's off. No files are altered, no data is processed. The operating system reading the time when it's powered back on is likely the only thing which will tell the computer that anything at all happened, regardless of how long it was off.

Same idea for us squishy organic beings dying.

Now, while I don't fear death, that doesn't mean I'm in any hurry to die. Like everyone else, I have my survival instincts, and those are a pretty powerful motivator to keep living as long as possible.

However, I do think that anyone who wants to be immortal really hasn't thought very hard about the consequences of such a fate occurring, and pity those poor suckers who have bought into the whole afterlife idea, as that is essentially forced immortality. Didn't Star Trek Voyager do an episode about that featuring a member of the Q continuum who wanted to die?

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Not really no.

I was dead for roughly 14 billion years before this short interlude. I didn't mind.

It's the suffering that scares me.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Well, no one likes the thought of dying and I'm no exception.

I myself don't believe in the whole Heaven vs. Hell thing but I do believe in an afterlife, so when I die, I'll at least exsist in some form.

Sep 14, 2009
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
gmaverick019 said:
our most grave problem?

Yeah, I totally forgot overcrowding. But that's not really a problem and neither is pollution to that matter. Those things are man-made. Death, on the other hand, is not. Neither is disease.

All it takes for overcrowding to become a non-issue is a lot of education and birth control. To take care of pollution we just need to be wary of our environment and manage our resources correctly, minimizing waste in the process. So, all in all, these particular issues can be brought down by what is known as "common sense".

P.S.: and a pun was part of the plan. ^_^
yeah they aren't *exactly* a problem, but with the way our world lives they will be eventually...

education and birth control are two things lots of people are not good at doing...if we could upload people with data labeled "common sense", matrix style, then yeah i wouldn't consider those problems, but until the last idiot is educated about it our population and diseases are still gonna spread like wildfire.

and nice, i love it when a plan comes together ;] (nutty bar for you if you know the reference)

like i said, i'd rather we become more efficient/better human beings before we live longer, but either or would be really nice.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Nope, because being afraid of it doesn't help nor change anything. And it's not like I'll be there to feel myself not being there and not feeling anything :p

Teckdeth

Oct 4, 2010
Hmm, interesting question. I'd like to say no, but I don't think that's true. I smoke in some excess mostly because I don't really care if I live to be old, but at the same time, I'm positive if someone held a gun to my head, I'd be begging to live.

I am an atheist, so I don't believe in an afterlife, and think that our time on Earth is all we get. I guess this makes me somewhat unafraid of death, since I'm fully aware that I won't know that I'm dead, so it'll make no difference to me. However, this also make me eager to preserve this life and not have it end abruptly.

Yeah, tricky one. I guess since I can't flat-out say no, I must be at least a little afraid of death.