Do you feel bad about "the starving kids in Africa" ?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I should...cause, you know, I'm a good human and all.
But, at this point, I'm completely desensitized to it.

Plus, I don't trust that the money is actually doing anything anymore.
I know it's weird, but it is what it is.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I give a little to Water Aid in the hopes that irrigation can be some kind of permanent fix but I have little hope anything will ever get better no matter what. With a billion people living in an area that can reasonably support 250 million I just feel that if we introduce the methods for another 50 million to live there then 200 million will live there and the situation will just get even worse.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
It'd be much more in the line of the local dictators to do something about it than our people trying to make us feel guilty for not thinking its our problem. But thats not really going to happen. Fair play to the countries who are giving their dictators the'dragged through a sewer and shot in the face' treatment. They're actually dealing with their own problems. But no, I don't think donating money is really going to make a difference. You want to make a difference? Go to Africa and help build a decent water supply for some small rural village, or use whatever skills you have, education, medecine, to train them to make a better life for themselves. That would actually make a difference for the people living there. At some point, I hope to do something like that.

Of course as the post above me notes, that could just lead to more overpopulation, so fuck it, I don't know.

Viking67

May 24, 2011
Ever read any Peter Farb, or Daniel Quinn? "Intensification of production to feed an increased population leads to a still greater increase in population."

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Matthew94 said:
No, I'm completely desensitized to it.

It isn't my fault they have it rough and when we do send them aid their governments often spend it on weapons to fuel wars or just spend it on themselves while people continue to starve and die from disease.

Yes things are tough for them but me caring won't do shit.
While this is essentially how I feel (especially with the news coming out of such places, and the way their governments treat their people while begging for resources), I don't feel I'm actually desensitized to it. If anything, I'm kind of offended by it.

My family struggles just to make ends meet, we make personal sacrifices all the time; I have a very outdated computer I got free from a family friend, and internet access, just so I don't go stir crazy. I shouldn't be scolded or made to feel badly cause I can't help out people in another country. America in particular has had such an increase in economic problems the last 5-7 years, we should be focusing our resources on keeping our own country afloat before worrying about everyone else.

I don't really like having to say that, but it's the truth, at least insofar as I'm concerned. We all have problems, and since those WITH lots of money don't want anyone else to touch it, those problems will continue.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
If I cant hand the money(which I dont have) directly to who I believe needs and deserves it I refuse to.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I feel that it sucks for them, big time. But what can I do. Send money, hope it gets there. But for the past 40ish years it's rather clear that the trillions we've sent over hasn't done a whole hell of a lot.

When theres drought or such a natural disaster ya sure send money. Even 1st world nations receive it (Japan), in such a state.

Before I seem any more evil, I'm just gona say i don't mean to be. I'm just realistic.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Obviously, by replying, a lot of people are showing they DO care

The problem is the continuous begging after 30 years reveals that it is against the charity's interests to fix and end their cause

-who loses when the advertisements and the charities are no longer needed?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Not at all.

I feel for them when I happen to see something them, but I'd never feel bad about something I had no hand in causing, and no power to change anyway.

I'll donate if I happen to feel like it, but it's certainly nothing I'd ever feel obliged to.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Midgeamoo said:
CarlMinez said:
I support several organizations monthly. I'm 19.
I was just about ready to give up on this site as a whole, thank god somebody here hasn't convinced themselves that they either can't do anything, or shouldn't do anything about it. I also salute you supporting several organizations by the time you're 19, I really do.

For 1 thing, the people here saying "they can't do anything because charities just give money to the government which spend it on weapons" - do you honestly believe that? Really? You really think that all of these organizations like water.org decide that the best way of having the country get clean water is to throw it at their corrupt governments?, this just sounds like an excuse for not donating, a bad one at that. There are so many humanitarian organizations that take the dirty work into their own hands and give these war torn villages a supply of water, and food, demonstrably more than those that just decide to throw money where it isn't needed.

For those saying you don't care, and don't even sympathize with children born into poverty and disease, you are emotionally crippled imo, if you cannot even sympathize with a child, that is born into a world of pain and suffering, something is wrong with you, even if you don't feel it's your problem, how can you not feel bad for a child that is born to feel pain and die?

Also, if the amount of people on this thread that say "they have just enough money to get by" are all insinuating that they cannot spare £5-10 a month, then they are lying. They all have the internet, they all evidently have games as they use this site, meaning they clearly have some extra cash to spare after their essentials are paid.

After I'm out of education, I'm pledging a reasonable % of my income to charity, because the choice between giving the money saving lives and a slightly better car is a pretty fucking obvious one to me.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to ya! It's really great to see that I'm not alone. I think it's a great thing you're doing as well, prioritizing charity over a new car.

I guess most people are simply trying to convince themselves that they don't have any reason to give money to charity, either because they don't have enough themselves (which is seldom true) or that it's impossible to find any trustworthy organization (which is never true). Personally, I've just grown up in a household where I was introduced to the concept early on, mostly through my mother, and it just naturally passed on to me. I still have everything I need so money really isn't an issue. The only real downside are all the depressing mails I keep getting from various organizations, telling me about one tragedy after the other.

Anyway, it's just completely preposterous how seldom you meet people that give money to charity. I don't have a moral high-horse, I have a STABLE of the damn things. Studying at university, I have the chance to meet many youngsters in my age, many of whom love discussing politics and consider themselves very enlightened. They are often very cynical, speaking of how corporations and corrupted politics are increasing poverty and what not. I always ask "well what do you do to help? Do you support any organizations? Do you give money to charity?"

In 9/10 cases, the answer is no.

Although I've stopped doing this lately. It doesn't exactly make you popular. I face even bigger problems when it comes to animal rights, an issue that I'm also concerned with.

You'd thin that our western-world generation which has access to all the information via Internet, have been schooled and taught of ethics and diversity would give more to charity or we more politically engaged in questions concerning poverty. This is not the case. I even think that statics show that charity is more common amongst older and often religious demographics, which is really sad when you think about it. Seeing posts on this forum doesn't exactly convince me that things will get better either.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
I'm a tribalist, I only care about the people I know, you would just get depressed if you actually cared for everyone.

+Donating to most "save africa" charities just lengthen their burdens and make the problem even bigger because each man fucks around and get 7 kids, just let them die and adapt, not make charity money critical to their survival.

juraigamer

Sep 3, 2008
If they stopped reproducing beyond their means to sustain, we wouldn't have this problem.

So no, I don't care. I would be all for helping them if the problem was stopped/extremely slowed down at the source, but as of right now all the donation is doing is empowering them to keep at it. Like rabbits.

Dec 30, 2009
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I do, as it's a serious issue at the moment.

I donate money to Trócaire, and I also helped in a couple of funraisers.
Funraisers? Awesome. I'd like to inflate some fun and raise it above my head. Any idea where I can by this amazing inflatable fun?

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
No, I don't care a great deal...I don't really care if something tragic occurs in my own country either. When I hear about conditions in poor nations, it does make me angry at how selfish and spoiled people are here in first world nations, far more than it makes me sad for people in a far away land.

I do sometimes donate to MSF as they are a truly awesome organisation. Anyone who says "Oh I don't donate to those charites because the money just goes to buy weapons or line the pockets of corrupt politicians" is a fucking moron..or purposely deluding themselves because they can't be bothered. These charities use the vast majority of donation money to pay for food, medical supplies, educational supplies, construction materials as well as a wage for the doctors, nurses, teachers, and logistics staff hired. How the fuck are weapons or corrupt politicians involved at all? Just say you don't want to donate, nobody really cares one way or another.

To those who actually have the audacity to blame people who have never had any sort of education or opportunities for over-reproducing, being lazy, etc...just fuck off and die.
Be thankful you were born into a nation with a long history of colonial oppression, slavery and ethnic cleansing of native populations. Such crimes bolstered our economies throughout the industrial age, leading to the immense privilege we enjoy today.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
The only foreigners I give a crap about are the Israelis, so no.

Torrasque said:
Matthew94 said:
No, I'm completely desensitized to it.

It isn't my fault they have it rough and when we do send them aid their governments often spend it on weapons to fuel wars or just spend it on themselves while people continue to starve and die from disease.

Yes things are tough for them but me caring won't do shit.
I had one of those die-hard "think of the childrens!" types of girls in my high school who would always be talking about how much she wanted to go to Africa, and how we should all donate a dollar a day to feed a kid in Africa.
It'd always get the same reception: "shut up, we don't care", which is what it really boils down to. Yeah it sucks, but I'd rather buy myself a coke than donate the money. Is that insensitive? You betcha. Will my dollar actually do anything? No idea.
What your dollar a day will do is create a system where Africa needs a constant influx of money to not collapse even more. It will also cause inflation.

Granted, it'll probably work for an economic quarter or two, but that's not a lot of time.

This is also all under the assumption that the warlords don't steal all the new money and use it to buy more AKs.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Yeah I see those adds around town a lot. They come and go like seasonal holidays.
Do I feel bad? No.
Do I try to help? No.
If we all join our hands and donate with our hands bleeding we will make sure there will be no starving kids in africa... for about one year. Then the next patch comes out of the oven and we have yet another food crisis.
You can't make sun go up more early. You can't prevent starvation in Africa.
But to be fair, I would not help them even if I could. Life is too short to care about other people.

OP missed an opportunity by not making this a poll.

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
I suppose I too am a little bit on the desensitised side of the fence.

Q: Do I care about them starving?
A: No more than I do for the people that keep asking for change when I go out. I know they might need it, but alas, it's not my problem.

I know that sounds really blunt but is just how it is for me.

As for doing something about it? I sure as hell would not give my money to those advertising agencies...

I have 2 friends who donate money (well used to) to a charity similar to Worldvision. One month, on two different weeks they approached me to show me the letters they got from the child they were sponsoring. I read the first and took little notice.
When I read the second, I realised suddenly it looked very similar to the first I read...

Suffice to say I got them to compare the notes and we found they were both the exact same message with identicle handwriting.

That didn't sit right with them (or me) and they decided to stop. What were the chances of the "kid" writing the exact same thing in both letters. I could have sworn they were just photocopies too.

So the way I see it, there is little I can do and even less ways to actually do it.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
I think the best thing anyone can do for problems like underdevelopment is to vote for parties and politicians that genuinely want to reform the world economy to the benefit of the 'third world'. What most rich nations do now is not true 'international development', it's really just international charity at a governmental level.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
DixonMarcus Chad said:
Hi to all my friends we are in need of some new people for the expansion of our team urgently, if you are willing to do simple online work from home join us. No experience required, weekly payment, weekends off and level bonuses,Read more on this site... makecash16.comONLY
There might be a few African children in need of employment, I suggest you look there.

OT: It's a large problem that wont go away by simply throwing money at it.

It's not just one thing either, it's several factors varied by country and region. Sometimes it's an oppressive government, sometimes it's a case of poor soil and farming conditions, sometimes it's a case of overpopulation and lack of education. This is just scratching the surface.

The bottom line is, there is very little we can do personally to change anything. Part of me believes that there is enough money and resources to feed everyone globally (especially considering the ridiculous amounts of food consumed by North America alone). The question is, for how long? African turmoil stems from a lack of sustainability. It is a problem that can only be aided by people like us but sorted and solved through the locals. If neighbouring countries can make it work, there must be a way they can make it work too.