Do you find playing a character of the other gender awkward?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Not really...

Never had a problem playing as a girl before and I don't understand why people should have a problem with it...

Why should it matter?

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Gotta echo what others have said, it's only an issue for me if the character is a blank slate for the player to project on to (RPGs and such). I would say Mass Effect is about where the dividing line is for me. I'm OK with playing FemShep, but any more of a projection character and a disconnect between myself and the character starts to form. For instance, Skyrim wouldn't work with a female hero, if only because the npcs in the game would react differently to a woman than they would to me. On the flip side, I loved Beyond Good and Evil, despite and indeed because the PC was one of the best-written female heroes in gaming.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
No, I don't find it awkward at all. I'm male, and more often than not, I'll choose to play as a female character, if the option exists.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Hm, not really. Is it a bland short-haired grizzly male main char with zero personality? Then yes, but mostly because it is a poor character and I get no say in the matter. If is a good character, then no not at all.

When creating my own character they tend to be female, but I think that is mostly due to balance. All of the non-choice characters are very likely to be male. My evidence for the hypothesis is that when playing tabletop RPGs I tend to flip a coin regarding the gender or just play what I didn't play the last time around.

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
I generally play girl characters, if I'm going to invest tens of hours on a game I'd like to not stare at a guy's ass the entire time :3

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Not in the slightest. Often times in RPGs I'll make both a male character and play through the game, then make a female character and play through the game. I don't feel like it breaks my immersion because, well, it's escapism; the whole point is for it to NOT be as real as possible. So if I want to play as a shifty thief who just happens to have a pair of breasts rather than a penis, then whatever. Last I checked, women are people too, so it's not like I'd change many of my decisions (if any are given) in the game. Usually I'll just follow whatever internal logic I've given my character (ie., the thief would lie more, but if I made her, say, a knight, she'd probably be honest more). Plus, as a completionist it lets me experience any dialogue or scenario changes due to gender, and that's always a nice thing.

That being said, whoever brought up the female characters' "death-gasms" is pretty much spot on. The men scream "GYAAAAARRRGH!" while the women moan "ooOOOooohHH!" I always laugh a little (and shake my head) when I notice this stuff. 'Cause let's be honest, is it really that hard to have the VA scream or something?

Trinab

Feb 1, 2013
I generally prefer playing female characters.

I find female protagonists more interesting in general, and have a fascination with them. If I can, I will play as one. I find their narrative more compelling, even in sandbox worlds and games where gender really doesn't have an impact. I simply enjoy imagining the impacts such a thing would be.

Looks and sexualization has very little to do with it, although yes, I do prefer playing attractive characters, no matter what the gender.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Not even in the slightest, I'm totally secure in my own identity, and have no delusions that blur the line between game and reality. I honestly can't see how an opposite gender protagonist could make anyone feel awkward. If one can't play a video game as a female, how does one function in day to day life? Presumably such a person wouldn't be able to empathize with females at all. I mean, having a preference for one gender is of course the norm, but I don't get people who would refuse to play the opposite gender.

It's just that this thread brings to mind the Remember Me developer's troubles, and how apparently capcom didn't want a female protagonist for this very reason, as if these people incapable of empathizing with a woman were ubiquitous. Ridiculous.

In fact, I seem to take female characters more often than not when given the choice, though it varies.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nope, I'm no longer six.

And actually, Tomb Raider was a lot of fun when I was six.

When offered the chance, I tend to build female characters, if only because the idea of a female tank strikes me as "innately hilarious" for some reason.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'll admit that as a female myself, if I have the option I'll almost always play as a female.

If there isn't an option, then I'll quite happily play as a male. Hell, most of my favourite games have a male main character. My favourite game of all time stars a young teenage boy (Kingdom Hearts). As long as they're not overly muscly bald guys, we're all good.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
In my honest opinion no, though playing as a female character lets me..understand them better. Tomb Raider is a great example of this, seeing Lara do all of those stunts, and when she falls and injures herself I can feel them, and wince. If a guy did it, I would just think 'oh they can shake that off'

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I don't feel awkward at all, in fact I usually play female characters in games. I don't really know why, it's sorta explainable but that's just something that I do.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
It's a little awkward to play a female in a table top RPG because of the focus being on character.

In gaming I prefer to play females unless I'm specifically role playing as myself.
It simply comes down to aesthetics and I'd rather be looking at the female form when given the option.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
For some reason, yeah. I do have a problem with playing chicks.

INB4 someone calls me a sexist or a bigot...

I don't know, it just bothers me when the game customizes elements based on your character's gender. I can't suspend my disbelief if I see a letter from the Jarl in Skyrim that refers to me as a "lady", and I spent my female playthrough barely using Shouts because it felt odd.

I consistently try to start female runs for Saints Row 3, only to find that I can't buy the idea of a woman being as murderously psychopathic and generally sociopathic as a male. For some reason, a male bald Irish/Australian badass à la Charles Bronson feels more adequate to me than a female Russian mobster who somehow is okay with trying to survive a fall down a tower's entire height on top of a counterweight that's the size of a semi.

The only time where this hasn't bothered me was in Mass Effect 1 through 3. Jennifer Hale does an all-around better job than Mark Meer.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
In linear not customizable character situations I don't mind. But when I can make my own I always play females.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Depends on if there are romance options. I'm male, and I generally prefer to play as a female character for aesthetic reasons, because I generally don't like how men look. Also, I generally prefer female names to male names, for whatever reason. However, playing as a girl in games with romance options makes it a bit... awkward. I'm not attracted to males in the slightest, and romancing one, no matter what kind of person they might be and what kind of character I'm playing, is out of the question. But if there's no romance, or the romance is a totally skippable thing, then hell yeah, I'm being the girl.

Even in games where the player characters are actually characters, such as JRPGs or fighting games, I lean toward playing as a girl, though if I prefer a guy's play style, I'll play as him, instead; I don't put aesthetics over practicality and enjoyment.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
VanQ said:
Strazdas said:
VanQ said:
Ever since I signed up for Tibia back in 2000, I've always enjoyed playing a female character more. Dunno why, I just do.
Yay someone still remembers Tibia!
Of course, man. I still remember when Tibia had a level cap. That was also before the massive invasion of BRs, too.I wonder what the level cap is now and if they still continue to raise it... It was over 300 when I quit in 2004.
there was never a level cap. merely the formula had to be adjusted to account for really big levels because those were never intended and the devs didint think anyone will reach.
Brs are beaten by PLs and Portugeese now. the amount of players are dwindling though and 95% are AFK bots anyway. Cipsoft made a bot of thier own and called it a hotkey system. basically all PVP is ruined.
i remmeber when level 100 was something only a few people had in whole server. now level 100 is minimum entry for any decent event/guild. the game went worse than runescape, its amazing how its still alive. i guess nostalgia has its thing, after all it is the first graphic MMO ever.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
I usually don't care one way or the other, it's all game dependent.

In games with a strong story and role playing component (I'm looking at you Bioware), I tend to play male characters. Mainly because these games usually have in depth character interactions and romance. While everybody does appear to enjoy the pretty ladies, I find it a little hard to get into character as one and then be romantically involved with anybody of either gender. I find it difficult and awkward to take that final step, but then I also feel like I'm missing out on something important, so I usually don't do this until a second or third play through. And even then, I don't always finish.

However in a game without such a strong story or character element? Bring on the ladies! My main character in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is female, as is my avatar in Saints Row the Third. Killing Floor? Yep. Co-op in Resident Evil 5? Give me Sheva. Perfect Dark multiplayer? Played as Joanna every damn time. Whenever given the option, I just prefer watching the rear end of a female for hours on end over a male character.