Do You Guys Stay in Shape? If So, How So?

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
I'd basically like to echo eveything in Lacebad's post, particularly the bit about not making drastic lifestyle changes. People say you are what you eat/what you do etc. That's all well and good, but in my opinion you are what you do everyday. Adopt a healthy lifestyle and stick to it. Enjoy what you enjoy in moderation and get plenty of exercise. It feels great. Also, please take note that while even a small amount of exercise is better than none, you should work your way into a routine. Running once a week won't make much of a dent in your cardiovascualr health. Three or four times is a different story.

Try NOT to to think of exercise as punishing your body. The "no pain no gain" adage is true to a point, but if you experience joint pain from running or some other high-impact activity, take up swimming, race walking, or cycling. As I said, all that stuff is good for you, whatever gets you moving. So you'll want to keep a broad perspective about what suits you going into this.

Good luck!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Walking and push-ups.

Usually ever-day.

Hell any form of exercise, if done everyday, is good for you.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
i just lost 20+ kilograms on the dukin(or dookin or however its spelled) diet. so you may want to look that up. I stopped during winter because i like to have a little comfort when im freezing my ass off. Ill pick it up again during the summer(im in australia) and finish my gut off. I used to think dieting was hard before i actually tried it, its pretty damn easy actually, for me anyway.

Its a good diet because it doesnt waste your muscles away like some diets. its basically all meat and a little bit of oat bran(which gives you fibre without your body being able to absorb any carbs) at first for the attack phase. then you go onto meat and certain vegetables during the cruise period. Then you go onto meat, vegetables and fruit during the consolodation period with the once weekly carb treat, i think it was one week for every kilogram you lose? but i admit i didnt do the consolodation properly, and it worked out okay. i gained 3 kilograms but i still stabilised well below what i was before.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
Well I try to stay in shape because I spend more than 6 hours playing games when I don't have school, and only around 2 when I have school, swimming 2 or 3 times a day plus eating lot's of fruit and other healthy meals made me loose weight in a very short time.

Talyan

Dec 11, 2010
I eat alot of proteins, and not alot of fat. When i'm angry or depressed I go for a run.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Yes, but I have no idea how...

I eat way too much and I spend most days inside on a computer, so basically it's just unfair. If it helps, I have fairly bad teeth and I just dropped my phone in the sea...

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
this stuff isn't really difficult to understand

first try to figure out your daily calories consumption (during your normal daily routine and while heavy duty) go to a doctor who specializes in sports or to an health club with competent employees if you need help with it

the rest is pretty straightforward (dunno about it in your country, but here in Germany we have a food labeling regulation, so it's easy to inform yourself about what you're eating)

a) you want to loose weight -> gradually lower your calories intake

b) gain weight -> increase your intake

c) depending on your personal goals and preferences -> excercise (weight training, team sports, running, Martial Arts etc.)

these are the basics, there is a whole industry behind this with a lot of unnecessary crap they try to sell you... if you wanna dig deeper here, always be critically especially when dealing with persons who have their knowledge out of some fitness magazines and/or the internet...

Kernalgohd

Nov 8, 2010
I sit in my basement, eating chips playing games and enjoying an amazing metabolism, I should be dead, but I'm not.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I'm in reasonable shape.

Not that I have a fucking clue how.

Sure, I play soccer, but I should still be a fat sack of crap.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
A friend of mine got rid of his weight by swimming a whole lot.
I stay in shape by doing a combination of being born with a natural high metabolism, run, lift weights and swim.
What you need to understand that increasing your strength increases your metabolism and the calories you burn while doing other things (yes, even watching TV). However, jogging is free and if you can do it it will be fast to get better. Make goals on what you want to accomplish. Do not focus on your weight, but on what you want to be able to do. Run 2-3 miles, take the time you need to run that distance and say what time you want to strive towards. I am currently trying to run 2 miles under 15 minutes, which is an increase from 25 minutes. I have never had weight problems, but my asthma has been holding me back a whole lot so I know this is hard. Don't let setbacks keep you down. You're not always the best you can be, but make your worst better and before you know it you will feel better. You should probably change your diet, but I'm not very good at setting up one. Do not go hungry that only makes you weak.
Also if you increase your physical capabilities and stay the same weight that is better than just losing weight.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Griffolion said:
I wish to change that. I don't really have the money to join a proper gym, however I do have a pair of dumbbells and a treadmill (my parents have money). Most of my fat is in my abdomen area (which is typical to a male I think) and I wish to get rid of it.
Dude, listen.

This website will change your life. http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

It's all about working out at home and it's fantastic

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Griffolion said:
So I'm not happy with my fitness level and general look of myself. I'm about 5'11" and weigh just under 13st with a BMI of 26 (which is above the healthy range for my size). I work a sedentary job and don't work out a great deal. I wish to change that. I don't really have the money to join a proper gym, however I do have a pair of dumbbells and a treadmill (my parents have money). Most of my fat is in my abdomen area (which is typical to a male I think) and I wish to get rid of it.

Are there any particular types of exercise that are particularly expedient in this process? I am considering swimming as that is known to exercise more or less everything. Just for the record, I wouldn't say I eat nothing but crap, but at the same time I'm no culinary Adonis. I've taken to simply having an apple and a glass of water for breakfast, I've cut out chocolate at lunch time (so I just have a sandwich, crisps and a piece of fruit) and I'm trying to cut down on the amount I have in the evening for dinner and later snacks. So I'm genuinely making an effort with food.

So are any Escapists well versed in exercise? What would best aid my cause here?

(Like most other guys, I'm doing it because girls are a tad more shallow than they claim to be and are very much affected by how a guys physique is; I mainly know this because I've been rejected multiple times for a guy who's a lot more fit than me.)
I wouldn't worry about BMI. When I was exercising and getting regular meals in my teens it said I was underweight and now I have developed moobs and run at best once a fortnight, I'm average. But still here's what I know.

1) Lifting weights will only make you bigger, it doesn't particularly add definition. If you're trimming yourself down I'd try and do very little of this.
2) Breakfast is the best meal to cut out of your day. I am a lucky person who is never hungry in the morning so I never eat it anyway but I'm pretty sure that's the sole reason I'm not a big tub of lard.
3) Lots of slow exercise will burn fat, though annoyingly it's quite time consuming. The key is burn more calories than you take in. This means either exercise more by running, swimming or general whole body exercises (so there's more movement and more calories burnt) or just eat less calories and the simplest way to do this is by reducing your portion size. Also, you need to be willing to keep doing it for the rest of your life to keep the weight off so try to pick types of exercise you actually enjoy.

Also give yourself a definite goal to train for, not based on the whims of some female. For instance if you like running enter for a marathon and aim to do it in under 4 hours. With regular training I'm sure you could do it. If you do pick running I'd also get off the treadmill unless it's raining. Get a pedometer and try and find some grass to run on.

/2cents

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
I work out, running especially, shit-ups, crunches, also use an ab belt and take vitamin suppliments.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Griffolion said:
I worked out by simply eating less and starting to do sit ups.

After I could do about 30 in a row I started to do push-ups just before hand.

this should do it. But exercise alone will NOT get you in good shape. Simply because most of your energy is burned via the heating of your body to 36Celcius. (I don't know imperial) So as a result you eat more in Winter than in summer.

As stated above exercise will get you muscle. But eating healthy will get you thin! DO both for best result as otherwise you will still be "flaby." although thin

Thanato5

May 12, 2010
weight training and recently started taking protein supplements. occasional cycling and mountain climbing but only if the weather is nice which happens rarely in the highlands.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't have a car and I never use public transportation.

So that leaves either walking or cycling.

Just keep an eye on what you eat and try to get around more by bicycle. No need to go weightlifting or do push-ups.

bladecuttersedge

Sep 4, 2009
I try to just eat less junk food and do more exercise. Actually started playing my xbox whilst on a treadmill or exercise bike. It beats going to the gym, and I dont get bored so fast.