Do you harbour prejudices against people who use drugs?

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well. Sometimes. If it's those pot taking people who start becoming absolute fools because "OMG GUUYYYYZZZ I'M HIIIGGHHH! LOOK AT ME BEING HIGH, ISN'T IT THE FUNNIEST THING EVA BECOZ HIIIGGGHHHHHHH AND WEEEEEED" then yes. I have a prejudice and would like nothing more than to do this to them:

Otherwise... I don't know. I won't have a prejudice against them but I'll probably keep them at arm's length. I don't know. I find it a tricky thing. On the one hand it's their body and they can do what they like. But when someone gets addicted and when it gets bad, having seen the effect that has on that person's family, especially when it's a loving, kind family, then I kind of think "why... just... jesus christ...". On the other, my dad took many different kinds of drug. He told me the effects of each and every one of them and why it's not really a good thing and how his life changed for the better when he stopped taking them. That stuck with me through my life and so I've never touched a drug.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I don't do it (never taken anything) but my mates do.

I... I don't know where I stand really. In moderation I suppose, but I do tend to avoid my mates when they do take stuff. Plus it's expensive as shit.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Cal Shackleford said:
On "soft drugs," ala alcohol, I've always hated its imposition in life. Toasting, sacrifice, drinking parties with colleagues and peers. Its [perceived] necessity within some cultures I understand; the idea that a drunk man cannot lose face, that all uttered over the bar is in the confidence of the bottle and thus inadmissible and unheard at work. However I find the very idea of self debasement and unselfing in that manner distasteful. Perhaps growing up in a prefecture that held the national standard for alcohol consumption plays some part (it either wins you or repels you), but I cannot seem to make peace with the idea of drinking. Fortunately I've never really been in a position where, to my face at least, there's been any offence given or taken with regards to this point :)
I personally have an issue with socially enforced norms in general, but the rituals surrounding alcohol particularly piss me off on many levels. I can't understand why it's acceptable to become inebriated to the point of throwing up, but tripping on acid in my own room for a few hours is somehow wrong. I also hate it when people hear that I don't drink alcohol and see it as a challenge. I've lived in many countries with a "drinking culture" and it's amazing how similarly ingrained it is. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against people getting drunk; my issue is with the negative appraisal of my getting stoned within a culture where getting drunk is not only acceptable but in many cases exalted.

Cal Shackleford said:
Towards illegal narcotics, regardless of their history, use and conception, I've feel disgust wrought with pity. I don't hate the people that use and consume them, mostly*, but I do feel a sense of irritable contempt towards the system that produces and releases them, as well as frustration towards the society that, ultimately, fosters their consumption, use and - possible - abuse. Not all people who consume narcotics do so in a dangerous excess, perhaps in that fact lies an awkward truth about drug use in and of itself, nor do all people who use narcotics do so for coping or unselfing purposes. Some people simply seek to "enhance" an experience, and therein is born a deep fascination with us as a species; how we can become bored or dissatisfied with something that is, by our own interpretation (mostly) enjoyable.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you might be better served keeping your posts short and sweet. Needlessly verbose meandering tends to lose people's interest halfway through reading :/

But anyway... I don't know why your issue is with a society that cultivates drug use as opposed to a society that vilifies at irrational degrees. Were drugs to be legal, regulated, and freely available we would see far more responsible faces for the hobby and far fewer stories of addiction and abuse. I'm not saying it would happen instantly; the vestiges of the old codger generation would need to die out, but attitudes would certainly change over time, as would the behaviour.

Cal Shackleford said:
In the case of personal enjoyment however, I feel that we should not risk damaging or compromising ourselves lest we impair our ability to help to achieve a communal greater good.
I and many people like me take great pains to ensure that the risk is minimised as much as possible. I wouldn't take cocaine, for example, because the effects are unpredictable and the sources unethical. When an impressionable teenager smokes a joint, he's taking a massive risk. I advocate for responsible drug use, which means employing the safest practices.

Cal Shackleford said:
Boring though it may be, I think we're beholden to others to ensure some degree of physical, biological-chemical-psychological well being.
For one, I can't see why one couldn't maintain such a well-being whilst still using drugs. I may not be able to drive while tripping on acid but I have no doubt that I would usually be the most capable of helping someone in a medical emergency, for example. Another point is that I disagree with you that we have some sort of societal obligation to be healthy. I personally want to be healthy and put a lot of effort into maintaining my health, but I believe that everyone should be entitled to pursue self destruction should they be doing so in sound mind.

Cal Shackleford said:
In cases of illegal narcotic production and consumption, where drug use is not regulated and risk of abuse and mismanagement of addiction and complications seem rife, I think drug consumption is a great danger. Where it is legal, such as Portugal, and so long as the distribution is regulated and the consumption is done in moderation and not abused, while I may disagree with the individual for risking an aspect of themselves (neuro-biochemically speaking), I cannot say that I would be thinking as poorly of the act as I would in an environment where clandestine and illegal consumption is taking place.
I mentioned in a few of my posts earlier that not a single penny of mine goes to dealers or shady characters, not because I'm worried about the legality, but because I feel very strongly about ethical sourcing. I really couldn't give an ant's shadow of a fuck about the legality of the consumption. Well, that's not true; I'm angry about the fact that it's illegal, but I don't feel a morsel of guilt about breaking the law in this case. As for the neurobiology of it, I am far more informed than the vast, vast majority of the population when it comes to these matters, and I've made a judgement that cannabis and LSD are perfectly safe when taken occasionally. The most dangerous drug I've ever taken was opium, but I've used it only twice. Well, that's not true, strictly speaking, because I was given morphine, but in my defence, I did have cancer.

Cal Shackleford said:
hen it comes to coping I think they are a terrible choice (who doesn't!) and believe counselling is always preferable.
100% agree. I only ever take drugs when I'm already elated or pleasantly serene.

Your tangent was way too much to discuss here so I'll just leave it alone, but maybe you could post it in a separate thread?

Cal Shackleford said:
Some people just aren't content with vanilla for a lifetime.
That would be my idea of Hell :p

My reasons might not be well thought out, properly coherent, polite or what have you, but here's my answer. :)

Cal Shackleford said:
If it doesn't make sense, please yell at me - or throw amyl nitrite in my face, apparently it burns something fierce :)
No, no, it makes sense, and I appreciate your answer, but lordy, you labour your points to death! If you can say it in 5 words or say it in 50, always go with the 5 :p

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Back during High School I hung out with friends that smoked a lot of pot. They never really pressured me into doing anything I didn't want to do so I never tried it. But nowadays I just can't stand being around it. Just not used to the smell like I was back then. Makes my clothes and everything smell like burning grass.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I don't like drugs and have little respect for those that pump the crap into themselves, however it's the suppliers that I actually dispise for profiting off the suffering of others.

Cal Shackleford

Aug 9, 2014
CrystalViolet said:
Thanks for the quick response!

Sorry for the length and labour, still rather new to forum discourse so the fear of stepping on toes, being rude or warned/banned due to misrepresentation of an idea has me trying to be overly cautious. Behind this shield of pixels nothing can harm me! hehe :)[Granted undermines the concept of discourse, but that's another story]

Oh I'm in complete agreement with the first point - it's amazingly sad threatening funny how hypocritical people can be.

When it comes to the two options, I'd think a legalized and regulated system is definitely better. However, personally - and I cannot coherently go beyond that I fear - I think the very fact that drugs exist in the capacity that they do is reflective of some deficiency within our species. That they appeal to people, regardless of cause, is both fascinating and disturbing.

I don't doubt that there are users who can quite easily maintain a balance between consumption and daily/social life without consequences, but not all are like that, nor are all drugs as equally "predictable" (as mentioned with coke and the like). And, as stated, there are many dangerous and risky alternatives that are "perfectly legal," so I think it's just a part of humanity that we're drawn to forms of effacement and escapism that carry risks.

I'm a cautious (read timid) soul generally speaking, so I find the idea of even mildly dangerous/risky acts rather daunting, but yeah, as it seems, some just need more than the "basic package." If anything I'd chalk that point up to a failure of proper perspective taking on my part; I'm still thinking "why do you need to - jump off this/smoke that/drink ____" By no means scientific or philosophical, but hey, it's just another personal failing on my part.

Apologies if it read like I was specifically targeting you, was try to present more generally my views on drugs - hence the "dark underworld" etc. Got to respect those who attend to such caution in their purchase and consumption, though part of me is skeptical of just how ethical such an industry can ultimately be, especially when it moves from homegrown poppies/cannabis etc, and you start getting into the lab side of things ala coke and shabu and the like. But, honestly, such skepticism is at the same level as what I have towards the ethical integrity of the shops that make my clothes, so just a niggling thought from time to time if nothing else.

With the idea of obligation to others via ourselves, I think within society one is entitled to selective self destruction - I can't quite appreciate it, but hey... However the onus is on the individual to regulate their destruction, if that doesn't sound silly. Drink, smoke etc... but do not allow it to come to dominate your life. And therein I think is the risk with many narcotics (legal ones too) is the risk of dependency and addiction and the long term effects their use can have.

At the end of the day, us humans have a love for doing stupid things - even us timid folk aren't a hundred percent cloistered - I can only hope, realistically, that what dangers there are in our pursuit of happiness are mitigated as best they can be and one's private pursuits do not spill over into the public sphere and begin to encroach upon others.

Fortunately this "character/case study" seems like a decent person :)

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I have nothing against people who use drugs in general. If some people want to fuck up their lives, it's their prerogative. It's also my prerogative not to associate with heavy users. And yes, I differentiate between people who do the occasional line a couple times a year from people who spend every waking moment looking for a score. I wouldn't say that the former group is "fucking up their lives," just as I wouldn't say that someone who drinks a single bottle of light beer once a week is an alcoholic. Substance use isn't a black-or-white concept.

BUT... events in the last 16 months of my life have steeled my heart to anyone who uses meth or has EVER used meth. I will never again trust anyone in either of those groups, period. Doesn't matter to me if they're off it, I won't have anything to do with them.

Put it this way: someone I knew and thought of as a friend took me to a place that was full of meth addicts and I didn't have a clue that they were. I got stuck in the middle of a massive fight that broke out (which I had nothing to do with) and got the living shit pummeled out me, so bad that the bruises didn't completely disappear for 10 months. This stupid selfie (yes, MEANT to be stupid) was taken 6 weeks after the fight, and doesn't show the worst of the bruising. (And for the record, the reason my sleeve was pulled up wasn't because I was showing off the bruises, but because it still hurt to have even the lightest fabrics against my skin.) I didn't realize that my "friend" was once a meth addict herself until May of last year, when she took $200 from me, bought meth, and lashed out at me with the most hurtful words anybody has ever spoken to me since I stopped talking to my child-abusing stepmom. The very night she did that I almost attempted suicide... might have done so if I hadn't fallen asleep from six hours of constant crying.

And then there was the other "friend" I met through her. I genuinely thought this person was a friend of mine, and I knew she was a recovered alcoholic and meth addict. But several times in the past year, I noticed that large quantities of my medications were missing and I had no clue where they had gone. I didn't know until this past June, when I thought I caught her rummaging through my purse, taking one of my pills. Stupid me didn't confront her because I didn't actually SEE her take one. But at the beginning of July, I went to her house with half a pill in one of my bottles. I thought I heard my purse opening when I was in the bathroom at one point, and sure enough, when I left her house, my half a pill was gone. It hurt so badly because she once swore up and down that she wasn't taking my pills and even asked me if I was sure that someone in my family wasn't taking them. Manipulative little *****... How dare she, a fucking dirty pill-popper, take it on herself to decide how healthy I am. She saw the tears I cried when I noticed the many times my pills had mysteriously vanished, but she obviously didn't care. It was all about HER getting HER fix. Never mind the fact that those pills are what keep me out of a psych ward.

So yeah, that's about it. Except for people who do/did meth, I really don't have a problem with drug users when they only use casually.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Cal Shackleford said:
Sorry for the length and labour
We forgive you :p

Cal Shackleford said:
However, personally - and I cannot coherently go beyond that I fear - I think the very fact that drugs exist in the capacity that they do is reflective of some deficiency within our species.
I cannot understand how the variety of ways in which drugs can be used and abused could possibly be seen as a deficiency! Addiction is one thing because pretty much every species with a vaguely complex brain is susceptible to it. More interesting to me, though, is not only the amazingly powerful experiences that drugs can elicit in the brain, but the fact that we as a human species have such a highly developed neocortex that we can become self-aware and manipulate our own chemistry to exploit this capacity for experience.

Cal Shackleford said:
That they appeal to people, regardless of cause, is both fascinating and disturbing.
Disturbing? I can't see why! I see it as a side effect of the human propensity for curiosity and investigation. I'm not naive, though; I'm aware that not everyone takes drugs responsibly, but I see it as a positive aspect of human nature that we can questions things and choose to experiment even in face of societal denigration and even great legal risk.

Cal Shackleford said:
And, as stated, there are many dangerous and risky alternatives that are "perfectly legal," so I think it's just a part of humanity that we're drawn to forms of effacement and escapism that carry risks.
I don't know why you speak of it with such negativity; not everyone who takes drugs, sky dives, or cycles without a helmet is gunning for self destruction or feels the need for escapism. As I mentioned before, I exclusively take drugs when I'm already happy. I meditate, read, play video games, or do sport for escapism.

Cal Shackleford said:
I'm a cautious (read timid) soul generally speaking, so I find the idea of even mildly dangerous/risky acts rather daunting, but yeah, as it seems, some just need more than the "basic package." If anything I'd chalk that point up to a failure of proper perspective taking on my part; I'm still thinking "why do you need to - jump off this/smoke that/drink ____" By no means scientific or philosophical, but hey, it's just another personal failing on my part.
If high octane or risky endeavours are not your bag there's nothing wrong with that. I support your right to relax with a good book in front of a warm fire on a quiet evening :p

Cal Shackleford said:
Apologies if it read like I was specifically targeting you, was try to present more generally my views on drugs - hence the "dark underworld" etc.
Of course not; I just reply with personal experiences because I'm the example I'm most intimately familiar with :p

Cal Shackleford said:
Got to respect those who attend to such caution in their purchase and consumption, though part of me is skeptical of just how ethical such an industry can ultimately be, especially when it moves from homegrown poppies/cannabis etc, and you start getting into the lab side of things ala coke and shabu and the like.
In my case there is no industry. Well, kind of. It's complicated. I can't say anymore except that your concerns don't apply to me. Sorry, I really wish I could be less vague :/

Cal Shackleford said:
But, honestly, such skepticism is at the same level as what I have towards the ethical integrity of the shops that make my clothes, so just a niggling thought from time to time if nothing else.
That scepticism is so important, though, and I would encourage everyone to exercise it. As I said before, I'm very conscientious about my purchases in all aspects of my life, including when it comes to clothes, food, and even entertainment.

Cal Shackleford said:
one's private pursuits do not spill over into the public sphere and begin to encroach upon others.
That's what I strive for ;)

Cal Shackleford said:
Fortunately this "character/case study" seems like a decent person :)
Thank y- I mean, she thanks you :p

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I think there's a lot more going on in your example than just meth. There are so many factors involved in your story that can't be discounted. That said, I'm assuming you're from the US. Meth isn't really a thing in most of the places I've lived and when I lived in the US it wasn't really a well-known thing.

Baffle said:
Not really bothered. I'm too old to hang around with people who think they're cool because they use drugs (which is a really annoying attitude to be around), so they must be using them because they enjoy the process. The only people I know that do use drugs don't really mention it. Personally, I love the booze.
Live and let live; I like your attitude :)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
CrystalViolet said:
Most people don't seem to care when I tell them that I occasionally take recreational drugs but it often happens that I'm met with judgement or scorn. How do you guys feel about drug use?

Edit: I forgot to mention nootropics.
Deit 2: I also forgot to mention what other drugs I mean: Cannabis, MDMA, caffeine, nootropics, LSD, chocolate, opium, DMT.

Also, just so as to avoid getting anyone in any legal trouble, I'm speaking as a fictional character. For the purpose of this thread, CrystalViolet is a figment of my imagination. A sexy, intelligent, and dare I say downright modest figment of my imagination.
1. I wouldn't say nootropics should be put in the same category as MDMA, LSD, Opium or DMT, same with caffeine or chocolate. not much you can abuse in those, maybe overdose a bit on certain nootropics if you're stupid about it.

2. Now I'm not advocating the use of any drug, but I feel that cannibis isn't as bad as alcohol and should be legal. As far as the others go, abuse is bad. Period. Recreational use, not so bad but still one has to be very careful about usage because one never knows what others have put in said drugs, how they were processed, etc. A bad batch of anything, especially MDMA, Opiates or LSD can really really fuck you up or put you in the grave. Every time you use those you're taking a huge risk, not necessarily because of the drug itself, though there are drawbacks from all drug use, but rather risking the unknown.

3. I don't get down on recreational users, moderation is a good thing if one decides to take that route and experiment (again not advocating).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I'll agree with you on almost all your points, but you have to remember that people in the throes of meth usage aren't really clear headed. They're so wrapped up in the drug at that point that decision making is akin to someone with a mental disease or disorder, they can't really be held 100% responsible, except maybe for the initial usage that started them on the drug.
I am in no way shape or form absolving anyone of crimes or hurtful things they've done while on meth, remember I did say that they're responsible for getting started on the drug. However they're no longer the person they were before they started using and once they've gotten to that point, there's almost no real person left just a drugged out shell. Its a very sad and pitiful situation, especially since this horrible drug is so damn popular (I'd almost advocate using anything else over meth, but then I don't advocate drug usage). I don't understand it, I had my experiences years ago with it and found it to be extremely terrifying, something I never ever ever wanted to do again.
Also wanted to say I'm sorry you had to go through that, I know the feeling of having a good friend you thought was close screw you over like that, and have also been in the middle of one of those drug crazed fights (not my choosing, I blundered into it by accident and barely escaped).

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
More or less depends on the the drug and how it's used, if it's a bit of weed on the weekends as long as you do it at your place and keep it out of mine, whatever, it's your thing. And I'm kind of curious about LSD and other hallucinogens, so I don't seen much wrong with the OCCASIONAL use of some of them.

But if you're popping shit every other day, blitzed out of your mind every time I see you, can't sit through an hour long class without toking up first or some other shit, than I don't harbour anything, I send out whole the damn fleet. I do not have nor do I wish to acquire the patience for that sort of thing. If you (The fictional you that is a wasted addict, not the real you) don't like that, maybe you should try changing something instead of moaning about your actions having, shock of shocks, actual real world consequences, like people not liking you.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
No I don't, if anything it would be against people with poor self-control. Modderation, it's the key to everything.

It's a rather interesting part of humanity isn't it? From what I can tell it's like the drug of choice follows the personality of the one taking it. If you like something, it's mostly because you are that kind of person to begin with. So an asshole would still be an asshole even if he didn't shot up every day, it's just easier to spot in that state. They are more honest to who they are if you will.

There are so many that uses drugs, and there are so many kinds that works in so many ways, most people have no idea. And that is where I think a lot of the problem is, the general lack of facts and information. Most people trying something for the first time have no idea of what it is or how much they should take. For example, a mushroom isn't just a mushroom, there is a whole range of different ones and they can be very diffrent in how they work, as can weed. Something like LSD or shrooms can be the best thing in the world or a living hell based on something as simple as a sound. It is facinating how something so small as a drop too much can change how you precive the world in such a way.

Mind you, I do not think drugs are all good, I have seen what they can do to people. But that's the thing, I know what harm they can do, but I also know the good it can do. That's basically human nature right there.

It also saddens me that some of you actually think you are better than those who use something. Like people that seems so proud of not having touched alchohol. That's a huge part of world, no the human history they will never understand, just because of their stubborness to not let their human curiosity expand their mind and knowledge a little. If you have never touched a drop, you will never understand why drunk people do what they do. It's like looking at someone dancing through soundproof glass or something, looks silly and stupid until you are on the other side and can hear the music.
Just don't go down to the rehab centre and talk to them, find someone who have a job and all that and talk to those, you know.. those you don't hear about because they don't do anything stupid. Get down from that high horse of yours and talk to the people damnit!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't hold any prejudices against those who use drugs, though I haven't known any heavy users. Perhaps my experience would change if I did, so I don't want to say anything categorically.

I do think the language we tend to use with regards to these substances is rather misleading, though. Caffeine and alcohol and nicotine are drugs, but are almost never described as such; affixing the descriptor to marijuana but not the former three seems arbitrary, and encourages people to categorise these things rather inaccurately.

Ten Foot Bunny said:
I just wanted to say that I really appreciated the candour and openness of your post. It added genuine context to the whole issue.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
1. I wouldn't say nootropics should be put in the same category as MDMA, LSD, Opium or DMT, same with caffeine or chocolate. not much you can abuse in those, maybe overdose a bit on certain nootropics if you're stupid about it.
I deliberately lumped them all into a single blanket term to make an implicit point that the distinctions are fairly arbitrary. I want people to consider all drugs and not just the ones they consider "bad".

2. Now I'm not advocating the use of any drug, but I feel that cannibis isn't as bad as alcohol and should be legal.
Agreed :)

As far as the others go, abuse is bad. Period. Recreational use, not so bad but still one has to be very careful about usage because one never knows what others have put in said drugs, how they were processed, etc. A bad batch of anything, especially MDMA, Opiates or LSD can really really fuck you up or put you in the grave. Every time you use those you're taking a huge risk, not necessarily because of the drug itself, though there are drawbacks from all drug use, but rather risking the unknown.
I fully agree, but I need to point out that since your reply I've updated my original post to make it clear that I never actually buy drugs from a dealer. The issues you bring up are definitely very important and I take them very seriously. Were I to have no access to drugs from an ethical source I wouldn't buy them at all, not just because I'm worried about adulteration, but also because of the kind of nasty business that comes commitment with the illegal drug industry as it mostly is today.

3. I don't get down on recreational users, moderation is a good thing if one decides to take that route and experiment (again not advocating).
I can't argue with that attitude :)

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
Depends on what you use.

Tobacco: I really don't care at all. Just not in the house. And if you're a close friend, I'll give you shit every time I see you smoking because I don't want you to die.

Alcohol and marijuana: Doesn't alter my opinion, but I'm a bit uncomfortable around people currently engaged in the act. I'll also probably leave your party early, because drunk/stoned people are beyond annoying to the non-drunk/stoned.

Anything harder: Once again, I won't write you off as a bad person, and I'll still talk to you, but it's very unlikely I'll want to hang out with you. Honestly, it's very unlikely you'll want to hang out with me anyway.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Rattja said:
No I don't, if anything it would be against people with poor self-control. Modderation, it's the key to everything.
First of all, brilliant post! Beautifully put and very well conceived! Now that I've gotten the sycophantism out of the way...

Rattja said:
It's a rather interesting part of humanity isn't it? From what I can tell it's like the drug of choice follows the personality of the one taking it. If you like something, it's mostly because you are that kind of person to begin with. So an asshole would still be an asshole even if he didn't shot up every day, it's just easier to spot in that state. They are more honest to who they are if you will.
I do agree that people with certain predispositions will behave in certain ways when they start taking drugs. The kind of moronic stoners who talk bollocks about how weed cures cancer are going to start off as the same sort of people. The problem is that they all find and vindicate each other, and the only real commonality between them is that they like to get really high and talk bullshit. That said, I can't say with certainty that some drugs don't have the capacity to actually change someone's personality. I'm pretty sure a nice guy can turn into a jackass after enough excessive drug use. The important thing, as you said, is moderation.

Rattja said:
There are so many that uses drugs, and there are so many kinds that works in so many ways, most people have no idea. And that is where I think a lot of the problem is, the general lack of facts and information. Most people trying something for the first time have no idea of what it is or how much they should take. For example, a mushroom isn't just a mushroom, there is a whole range of different ones and they can be very diffrent in how they work, as can weed. Something like LSD or shrooms can be the best thing in the world or a living hell based on something as simple as a sound. It is facinating how something so small as a drop too much can change how you precive the world in such a way.
I could not agree more! Most people don't realise that it's possible to take drugs safely and responsibly, which is why it's so common for people to go out and buy "some shrooms" without knowing what the fuck they are, how much of the active psilosybin is in there, and how to take them, so they go off a crazy bad trip and freak out. On top of that, we're force-fed "Reefer Madness" and "drugs will destroy your life" mantras without ever extolling critical thinking about these things. It's a tragedy that a lack of education and political stubbornness has cultivated a status quo in which I can get insanely drunk in a club full of 500 people but can't trip on LSD in my own home without incurring the wrath of the law. "To protect and serve", is supposedly a police motto in the US. The police, who protect me from giving myself drugs by giving me a criminal record.

Rattja said:
It also saddens me that some of you actually think you are better than those who use something. Like people that seems so proud of not having touched alchohol. That's a huge part of world, no the human history they will never understand, just because of their stubborness to not let their human curiosity expand their mind and knowledge a little. If you have never touched a drop, you will never understand why drunk people do what they do. It's like looking at someone dancing through soundproof glass or something, looks silly and stupid until you are on the other side and can hear the music.
I actually don't drink and never have drunk alcohol. I mean, I've tasted it a few times but never drunk it. But regardless, I also have nothing but disdain for the condescending attitude people often have towards you when they find out you take drugs. One of the worst responses is for them to believe you're stupid, completely independent of any other evidence you've given them about your intelligence.

Rattja said:
Just don't go down to the rehab centre and talk to them, find someone who have a job and all that and talk to those, you know.. those you don't hear about because they don't do anything stupid. Get down from that high horse of yours and talk to the people damnit!
Perfectly said! A lot of people have horror stories about the "junkies" or "stoners" they know, but there's never any real mention of the people who take drugs while holding down jobs, raising a family, and contributing to society ina positive way.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Silvanus said:
I don't want to say anything categorically.
I wish more people would be the same ;)

Silvanus said:
I do think the language we tend to use with regards to these substances is rather misleading, though. Caffeine and alcohol and nicotine are drugs, but are almost never described as such; affixing the descriptor to marijuana but not the former three seems arbitrary, and encourages people to categorise these things rather inaccurately.
Excellent point! I fully agree with you.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I've mentioned this before in drug threads, but my family has a poor history of mental health, so I personally would never risk myself with drugs.

As for other people who use drugs, I can't really say I know any (other than smokers and the odd alcoholic). I know people who have used drugs, but I don't know any people who currently use drugs. I do know one or two people who used drugs to the point of messing themselves up, and that's unfortunate.

To be honest, if I did know people like that, it probably would colour my opinion of them poorly. I do recognise a person's right to do what they want with their body, but I think I'd have less of a problem with it if for example some drugs were legal and regulated.