Do you hate something because its popular?

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
I hate food because EVERYBODY eats it, oh my god it's like, so mainstream.
I think it's a bit more circumstantial than that, but yeah, I usually let my opinion go on it, and if I don't hear about it, too bad, then it makes no difference to me.
e.g. Rebecca Black. I don't like her music because it's THAT poorly written, but I only heard about it because other people complained about it.
(Gotta get my bowl, gotta have my cereal. WHO THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A GOOD SONG?)

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I tend to hate things that are popular because I hate being constantly bombarded with mentions to it.

Take for example Justin Bieber: He appeals mainly to teenage girls and I always has to hear about how music is so terrible today because of him. FYI pop music has always been fucking terrible, don't let nostalgia blind you.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Hate is a very strong word. If something's popular, it's making lots of people happy. I may not like Justin Bieber's music, and I may not enjoy stuff like 50 Shades of Grey, but other people do. I don't see why people hate them just because lots of other people like them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I dislike most main stream pop music. Not because it's popular, it's just not my kind of music. I also don't like metal. I reserve hate to things that actually matter. Such as people on the internet discussing semantics when they can't make a point... I'm not too serious about that one.

The problem with things being popular and us not liking them is simple. Let's say my friend took me out to eat Indian food and I didn't like it (I absolutely love Indian food so this is all a thought experiment), that wouldn't be a big deal. I had tested it out and tried it. Now let's say my friend decided to take me out for Indian food every day despite that I didn't like it. I would soon start hating both Indian food and my friend for this.

That's what Justin Bieber does to people. A lot of people like his music so it plays on the radio and people listen to it. Those of us who doesn't like it have to listen to it over and over. Dislike turns to hate. At least this is my hypothesis, we might just be entirely too free with using the word hate for that matter.

Reginald the Butler

Mar 29, 2012
I don't think that people hate something just because it's popular. It's more that they hate how it's become popular. For example, I can't stand that "Jersey Shore" show, partly because I cannot figure out how it became so damn popular (but mostly because it's just a terrible show).

Inbar Fink

Apr 12, 2012
"if you go against the stream just becuase it's against the stream, it means the stream still decide where you're going"

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I don't hate things because they're popular, I hate things because they suck. Their popularity makes me hate people.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Lionsfan said:
Hate is such a strong word. I've thought that stuff is stupid, but I don't hate stuff
Oh, so you don't hate Hitler? You support Hitler? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS GUY'S A NAZI! YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT--A NAZI! A BIG, FAT NAZI! What about cancer? You don't hate cancer? You like cancer? HEY, EVERYBODY, THIS HITLER LOVER LIKES CANCER AND HOPES YOU ALL DIE FROM IT!

But seriously, I agree. Hate's too strong a word for these things (except for cancer & Hitler). I wouldn't say I dislike anything because it's popular. I think that's bad practice for human beings. If I ever find that I dislike something based on nothing else other than that it's popular, I force myself to check it out. Sometimes I go in and away thinking it's stupid, but sometimes I become a fan. Popular things are popular for a reason, after all.

unicron44 said:
FYI pop music has always been fucking terrible, don't let nostalgia blind you.
<youtube=yHEOMTlOaFE>

I accept your apology.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I don't so much dislike anything for the sole reason of it being popular.

But, I do dislike the fact certain things I dislike are popular.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
well i can hate things for being popular, but only things i would have hated anyway for example i hate twilight because it has gotten popular which it really shouldn't have

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I've always said when something is popular, it earns higher scrutiny. If it doesn't live up to the hype under that scrutiny, then it does deserve to be labeled as "sucks."

This is a symptom of mainstream media unfortunately. Games like Halo and CoD are rather dumb games, but they attract a crowd. That dumb crowd is also very profitable, so the habits they perpetrate start affecting the whole gaming industry. That makes me hate them even more, because these extremely average games are affecting the things that I like. And I don't like merely average things generally.

I do like to point out that while a mainstream story, the Harry Potter series does stand up to scrutiny. It's not without its flaws, but I really like the books, despite being cold towards the movies. I actually didn't read any of the books until after the third movie, so I wasn't biased against them because of feeling the books were superior. I just love a lot of fantasy, and the first two HP movies were merely passable, while some of the other fantasy books I've read are far more deserving of movie adaptations.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I don't hate things because they're popular, it just so happens that I hate things that happen to be popular.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Everyone harping on about how awful and offensive 50 Shades of Grey is, try reading The Story of O. I dare you.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
No, in fact, I believe that practically no-one hates things purely because they're popular. Often it's because they are undeservedly popular, or because they have such saturation that what could have been a dislike -> ignore reaction becomes hate through continued exposure. To that end, I think the notion that some people just hate because it's popular is just a way of dismissing someone's opinion, same as the words "hater" and "fanboy".

Here's 98 cents change.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
The problem with hating things that are popular, is that usually even the most popular things are only liked by the largest minority, but not by a supermajority.

So even if I'm hating something popular, I'm really just going along with an even more popular group that is hating it.

There is a Twilight fandom, but everyone else hates Twilight. There are Valve fanboys, but everyone else loves to point out how biased those are. There are bronies, but everyone else either hates bronies, or at least tries sound impartial by unnecessarily bringing up how "some bronies" are too obsessive.