Do you have any interest in the Wii U?

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Being born and raised on Nintendo, yes. And even if I was not, I am almost always interested in new systems and with the addition of third party titles, it make it even more enticing for me.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
No I don't have any interest in it. I loved my Gamecube, but with the Wii I didn't see anything more than a glorified Gamecube with motion controls. With the Wii U I don't see anything more than a glorified 360 or PS3 with motion controls. From what I've read Nintendo themselves say that it's just a bit more powerful than a 360 or PS3, so it can play current generation games. But the next generation of the 360 and PS3 probably aren't more than two years away, so I'm not going to plunk down money on a machine released next year that will be able to play games released two years ago. I'm not interested in motion controls, and if I'm going to buy a new console it will be one that can play games that come out five years from now, not games from two years ago (and I'm not talking about backwards compatibility).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
rob_simple said:
I'd be interested in a new Nintendo console if they'd drop all the novelty bullshit and make something that didn't have gimmicks up the arse and no real substance.

The N64 was my favourite console of it's time and I get a little bit more jaded every time they announce each increasingly ridiculous project.
You are now my new best friend. I have the EXACT same point of view!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
As I said before, it's not exactly "new" but it's different. It's putting a touchscreen in a standard controller, with some motion controls in it. Pretty simple.
Different from what? That controller is almost like the 3DS bottom half. Different? I don't see it.

You're acting as if the touchscreen will stop all the other buttons from working or suddenly stop the analog sticks on it from functioning.
I said nothing like that, nice strawman though.

It's not like 3rd parties need to work around a completely different control scheme like it did with the Wii, it has the standard layout already there
So did the Wii but many third parties refused to use the Classic Controller opting instead to use the Wiimote with obligatory waggle or using the Wii mote sideways as an NES controller. So your faith that third parties will ignore the touch screen may not be well placed.

But there are also some extra things there that can make the experience unique compared to the other consoles. A chance to offer a different experience.
That's the same line of BS we heard before the Wii launched. It's true though, I can't flip burgers on any other console.

It's not exactly "revolutionary", but it's a simple addition that could be beneficial, like the second analog stick.
I fail to see what it could add that was not already done on the Wii and/or the DS/3DS. There is nothing to see here, nothing to spend $250+ on.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Well of course. That's the system that will be delivering me a new Zelda here in a few years.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
I don't have much interest, but given my younger brother is showing signs of rabid Nintendo fanboyism I guess I will see one in my house sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Nope, the only reason to buy another Nintendo console is for Mario, Zelda and Metroid. All three have been lackluster this gen. Before anyone tells me how brilliant the galaxy games were, I don't think they were that great and to be honest, I had more fun with Super Mario Sunshine. As hard as that game was, I actually stuck with it to get 120 shines. I beat the final boss on both Galaxy games as soon as I had enough stars and I never had any desire to complete them 100%.

I doubt I'll get any argument over the mediocrity of Other M but I am sure some will say how Skyward Sword is the "best game evar!" or some shit like that, don't. It looks bad, it plays bad and it has less content than Wind Waker from what I hear. Wind Waker had to fit on mini DVD's, Skyward Sword gets a full DVD and I'll bet most of the space is wasted. 5 years and this is the best Nintendo could do?

I have 2 Wii's and both collect dust AND they don't even perform well as a Netflix player. Put the PS3 beside the Wii and it streams HD Netflix content without a problem. The Wii, a few feet closer to the router can't even stream SD content without stopping to retrieve ever few minutes. It's sad really and I don't need another dust collector.
Skyward Sword is a good game, but it's the second worst one, after the train one. It needed to be longer and not on the Wii. A lot of space is wasted, but hey, it has the best desert of the series.

Wind Waker was packed to the brim on that mini DVD.

Feb 9, 2011
Nope. I have zero interest in it and I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I got rid of my Wii due to its lackluster title selection. Nintendo has been really letting me down lately.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Not really. I'm not bashing it but I just have a general lack of interest.

My mum has a Wii, it never gets used apart from me wanting to play a few old gamecube titles every now and again.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I am, actually. I didn't get the Wii, but during my gaming years during this generation of consoles I must say that while I was very happy with the 'hardcore' titles I had, I did (and do) miss that typical, simple Nintendo-kind of fun their games bring.

I miss happy, innocent titles like the one's I played on my GameCube. And here's where the WiiU comes in, because if they deliver on their promises they're going to offer plenty of hardcore titles and Nintendo classics. Best of both worlds for me.

But we'll see, nothing's set in stone yet. I might not even have enough money for a new console. Or time.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
I really am interested in the Wii U, and will (hopefully) buy it. I was a pretty big fan of the Wii, but I'm also a college student (which is "social speak" for really, really poor), so it wasn't in my budget. Between the high definition graphics and the promised extensive third party support (not to mention more "mature" games and a crazy looking controller - only Nintendo, right?) this game system looks like it might even surpass it's predecessor's enormous success. I can't wait to see what develops.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Not really. Nintendo has exactly 2 series over me: Mario and Zelda.
For Zelda, the motion-control horseshit is here to stay on the Wii, so really, any future Zelda instalments I would want to play would be on the 3DS, so yeah.
As for Mario, assuming they keep the Super Mario Galaxy type motion-controls, which is to say, hardly at all, they'd be worth playing, but not worth getting a console for one. Besides, they've already released an awesome Mario game on the 3DS, and they'll no doubt release more like it.

We'll probably end up with a Wii U here regardless, and I'll probably play it, but if we don't, I won't lose any sleep over it.

fiendishtim

Mar 7, 2011
None what so ever other than will nintendo finally make something good again or will they just make another orcherina of time zelda and other stale games. If they do make good games I will THEN become interested in the console itself.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Are you telling me people AREN'T interested in Wii U?
Insanity!
EDIT: Funny, I notice how everyone seems to consider Skyward Sword to be the worst Zelda game. Almost like a certain Escapist Killer App.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I was about to say no, and that I do not care much for it, but then I remembered my 3DS, and its awesomeness! And now I am thinking... Hmmm.... Maybe i'll have a go on one, and test the waters... See if I like what I am seeing! You never know, I may end up with one!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No, motion controls have always been stupid to me beyond little gimmicks and dual screen gaming like the DS to me was never, ever good in any game. I'm a huge Metroid fan and that's what made me buy the Wii, I can safely say I have no interest in buying the WiiU for anything simply because of how many things I think it does horribly wrong.

Then again honestly I might be off consoles after this generation, after my 7 360 died I started rebuying the games I lost that are on steam for sale and I just play my PC versions ...on my TV, with a 360 controller. So yay cheaper games and less anger. That's not to say I'd get rid of my current systems, because I love my PS3 acting as a media center and I love my never dying Sega Genesis.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Definitely getting it. All the new consoles are going to be outdated a year down the line anyway, so I may as well get it for the exclusives which I love.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not really. I've never been much of a fan when it comes to Nintendo games. Played Playstation when I was a kid, so I don't have any nostalgic ties to the games either.