Do You Have Constant Reload Syndrome?

oldMcDouche

Mar 30, 2009
me too!
thats why i rarely use weapons which take ages to reload. even if i fire only one round i HAVE TO reload cause i cant stand not having a full mag.

playing the old Rainbow 6 titles or GRAW2 on PC is particularly hard cause you lose all the bullets you would have left if you swap mags although its not entirely empty

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I do in most games... In Killzone 2 I do because its sometimes infuriating to have to reload during a shootout. If the enemie's close though, I would usually switch to my pistol if my clip runs dry. But if It's a long range shootout, Id get to some cover to reload. To avoid this though, I reload as soon as possible.
It was also nice that the game rewarded me with a Trophy for 150 manual reloads... I was quite happy with that.

In the game Black however, Reloading is usually a no-no. As you see, the creators of black were the only developers that I know of who were smart enough to release that by taking out a clip with ammo in it, you lose that ammo from your total amount... Which makes sense right?
But ammo was pretty common if I remember correctly. And after completing it once, you unlock silver weopons, which means unlimited ammo. So reloading was no longer a problem.

In the 5 pages of replies I hope I wasn't the only one to mention those two games, because those are the 2 best serious FPS I've ever played.

EDIT:Excellent... Somebody else mentioned Black and its excellent reloading system, and they explained it much better than I did.
Dead Raen said:
The game BLACK had a unique system where the rounds from your magazine weren't pooled into the rest of your ammo reservoir, and reloading after a single kill could cost an entire magazine.

Ever since BLACK, I've waited until about 1/5th of my magazine remains before reloading, or until the action has died down.

JDarkley

Feb 22, 2010
After playing Call of Duty for a while I find myself switching to my secondary until the firefight is over. But if I'm behind cover, then I reload constantly.

henno13

Apr 3, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
Yes. It's a tactical must.

... Unless you're playing Battlefield 2. Reloaded magazines aren't "swapped", they're actually lost.
That's true. I always did that in BF2, then I facepalmed every time becasue I remembered that they were lost not replaced.

Red_Fog

Apr 9, 2010
oldMcDouche said:
me too!
thats why i rarely use weapons which take ages to reload. even if i fire only one round i HAVE TO reload cause i cant stand not having a full mag.

playing the old Rainbow 6 titles or GRAW2 on PC is particularly hard cause you lose all the bullets you would have left if you swap mags although its not entirely empty
Cause they're trying to be more "realistic" and taking bullets from two partially full magazines and combining them into one takes a really long time...

My favorite reloading systems are the games where if you reload with ammo still in the clip you simply save that clip for latter. After you've gone through all your full clips you start to reuse the partially full clips that had enough in them to bother saving.

As for my reloading habits, every now and then I'll reload immediately after a kill, but usually I'll keep my gun at the ready until I've secured my immediate area, find good cover and then reload. If you're gun goes "click" that's what your pistol is for. Unless your playing something that's trying to be more realistic and doesn't give every grunt a side arm. If that's the case, duck and cover, or smash his face in I guess...

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I reload about every 5 seconds, even if I've only spent one bullet. I just can't help but think that it may be that one bullet that saves me from being fragged.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Yeah, I pretty much reload after every little encounter. It can be a bit troublesome when an enemy barges in on me while I'm in the middle of reloading, but it's better than running dry while I'm in the middle of the action. I'm especially meticulous about keeping shotguns loaded, because the last thing I want is to have to keep loading shells in the middle of a firefight.

Humanoid333

Apr 1, 2010
Same here. I really hate when you lose all the bullets you currently have before reloading though (Battlefield anyone?), probably some technical term for that but I don't know what it is. :p

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Oh yeah, I've had some real problems with not reloading. Every time I turn a corner and don't have a fully loaded gun there is an enemy that does. I try to keep as much ammo in my gun as possible at all times.

CruelSpider

Warrior of the Three Kingdoms
Dec 21, 2008
I do the same. I reload constantly. Even if I miss, if I'm ducking back into cover, I'm reloading.