Do you kill NPCs

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
From time to time. If it seems like fun at the time, or if theyre carrying something I want and I think I can take it if I kill them.

And sometimes I do just to draw out the guards and then ***** slap all of them down just because I can and I need some weapons and armour.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I try to avoid it. There's been moments where I've caused collateral damage and felt intense guilt over it. :(

Justin W.

Oct 7, 2011
I typically feel kind of bad unless they are being annoying or total dicks.
However, try playing INfamous (1 or 2) as completely good. Those damn NPC's go out of their way to be in your way all the freaking time. So when I play it through again on Infamous I take a ridiculously sick pleasure in massacring them.
Bastards shouldn't get in the way of a man shooting electricity.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Depends on the NPC. If it's Generic pedestrian #23141232 in Saints Row 2, then yes they're annoying speedbumps. If it's a named villager in Oblivion that Im talking to, no.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
krazykidd said:
So , the question is in the title . Do you kill NPCs ? You know like in games like oblivion and fallout , a NPC is minding his own business and you show up , cocky as ever and bitchslap him/her till the npc bites the dust? Do you feel bad afterwards? Do you feel badass? Do you do it just for kicks. Bassically do you kill npcs why or why not?

Right now im playing dark souls , and at this point i killed almost every NPC i saw (3 out of the 4 lol, i let the blacksmiths live ) At this point ( since i never played demons souls) i don't know if it affects to game in any form( let's hope so for immersion!) but i feel bad ass doing it , mainly because the npcs are hard to kill ( very hard ).
I don't usually kill friendly NPCs in games, mostly because I feel bad afterwards and/or it impairs the roleplaying I'm trying to do.

That said, when I played through Morrowind, I ended up beating the game and did damn near everything in the world. Yes I know, I had something like 500 hours on that save file. I then got bored and went on a killing spree. Beating one of the expansions gives you a ring that lets you turn into a werewolf at will. I put that on and proceeded to run around the world slaughtering everything. If it didn't respawn, it was dead, with its soul in a gem, its gear sold to a mudcrab and its body left to rot.

It was kinda amusing, but it took entirely too long to go through the whole world and do it. Haven't tried it since.

Oct 30, 2010
Almost never. Maybe if I want to fuck around a little bit before logging off, but I don't generally play characters that would save after doing it.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
krazykidd said:
So , the question is in the title . Do you kill NPCs ? You know like in games like oblivion and fallout , a NPC is minding his own business and you show up , cocky as ever and bitchslap him/her till the npc bites the dust? Do you feel bad afterwards? Do you feel badass? Do you do it just for kicks. Bassically do you kill npcs why or why not?

Right now im playing dark souls , and at this point i killed almost every NPC i saw (3 out of the 4 lol, i let the blacksmiths live ) At this point ( since i never played demons souls) i don't know if it affects to game in any form( let's hope so for immersion!) but i feel bad ass doing it , mainly because the npcs are hard to kill ( very hard ).
Interestingly enough killing all the NPCs in the Nexus (and those you met outside of it) in Demon's Souls did have some profound effects on the game.

Aside from lowering your Character and World Tendency to black, it also made one of the evil NPCs grant you a very powerful item. Some NPCs you killed also returned as powerful Black Phantoms, like Ostrava of Boletaria, which you then had to defeat in combat when you encountered them at a later date - the caveat being that if you managed to emerge victorious you would get some very shiny rewards indeed. It's just that playing the evil route in a Black Tendency run means that the enemies are much, much tougher.

I'm not sure if there's a similar effect in Dark Souls since i've just started playing, but from what i understand there's no real penalty for 'evil' actions unlike its predecessor. (It's debatable whether Black Tendency was really a penalty as it meant the chance for incredible loot went up substantially as well as the difficulty of the enemies) and the "humanity" mechanic only goes upwardly since there isn't much punishment for being Hollow with the exception of not being able to loot anything exceptional.

But to answer your question, OP; generally i don't kill off NPCs unless i feel 1) I / my character feels that they deserve to die and i actually kill them for the sake of immersion and 2) If i'm going on a mad murder spree while 'Bodies' plays in the background and i have that look of crazy in my eye.

In open sandboxes with lots of NPCs, though, it tends to be open season. I can't count the number of people i kidnapped, tortured and murdered in Red Dead Redemption and the GTA games. And Fable. We've all cleared out Bowerstone at some point or another.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Depends on the situation; there's been times where I've accidentally killed everyone. Like in Fallout 3 when you attack one person and the whole town goes up in arms. I'm not big on saving too often so I end up having to kill everybody. The first time it occurred was when I accidentally stole food in Megaton. I stole one plate of deep fried rhinoceros guts then *BAM* corpses everywhere.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
I know the one NPC everyone thought of when this question was read.

The Arena Fan from Oblivion.

If they have something I want or am bored yeah I'll just go on a killing spree, quick saving first obviously.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
In fallout I save NPC's and feel sad when I fast travel to a town and see a deathclaw walking around the outskirts and killing people before I get a chance to save them

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Erm, back when I played WoW I'd sneak into low zones of the other faction and kill quest NPC's just to be a dick. Not sure if that counts. I remember back when I played Alliance, there's this orc guard outside Razor Hill that's always at low hp because it's for a priest quest. One time I sat there for about 15 minutes, killing her over and over while this troll priest got more and more angry. Another time a troll hunter was trying to tame a boar outside for the hunter quest, and I killed it just before she tamed it. She kept trying to kill my lvl 35 warrior, and each time got owned, but my fun was cut short when a level 60+ (I know cause of his mount) troll mage came outta nowhere and owned my ass.

More recently, in Dragon Age: Origins if I was playing a mage with a lot of aoe spells I'd kill any killable NPC's I found. One time, at the battle of Redcliffe, I killed every single one of the knights, that dwarf trader, that elf archer, as well as every single militia man including that mayor guy. Near the end of the fight I kinda missed having them as meat shields but I had Alistair tanking so it was all good.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
No.

Unless I can blow their legs off and throw them off a cliff.

Then I'm all over that shit.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i bought those npc's with my hard earned cash, if i cant do whatever i want to them then there's something wrong.
i frequently try to run over npc's in dirt 3, but the little buggers are too quick.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Depends on the game.
In some games it feels good to kill NPCs, like Overlord, Prototype, Infamous... In games with moral choices like Fallout 3, I often choose to play as a Good character, but I still kill NPCs that piss me off.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Qitz said:
I know the one NPC everyone thought of when this question was read.

The Arena Fan from Oblivion.

If they have something I want or am bored yeah I'll just go on a killing spree, quick saving first obviously.

DumpsterHumper said:
Eh, if they're not useful in any way and provide me with epix l3wtz, experience and/or a tingling sensation in my underwear...Hell yeah. In Fallout: New Vegas I ended up killing most NPCs (because they are usually annoying and unlikeable) even if it meant I lost some special reward.

Oh, I'm sorry Deputy Beagle. You won't tell me before I untie you? EAT MY FUCKING NAIL BOARD!

What was that, Boxcar? You want drugs from me after you acted like a douche? I'll give you a drug, a drug called "Caravan Shotgun"!

I'm really bored, so I'll just go on:

Who the hell are you calling smoothskin, whatever-your-name is!? You're HUMAN. A HUMAN CORPSE.

Oh, Jessup, you want ME to bribe the NCR? So the money I found in all your friends pockets and the cash register isn't good enough? I suppose not, because now all those pockets are filled with DYNAMITE.

Alexander, we bonded. I used my gun skills to win you over and you called me a nuisance. My gun skills will now be used in a oh, so fun manner.

Mother Pearl, you tried to kill me to see if I was worthy. That's a dick move, coincidentally what I'm about to do now is a dick move and my dick is called Annabelle.

Shit, I'm not bored anymore. Bye.
I do this too and i forgot to mention it during my response; there's something about Fallout and Oblivion that really... encourages you to be 'liberal' in how you deal with NPCs. Generally i avoid killing NPCs if i can in games such as the example, Dark Souls. But with Fallout i felt so much more liberated in my interactions with the various characters, probably because so few of them were actually integral to the main plot that it didn't really matter in the long run what you did with them.

For example, i shot that old geezer in the NCR outpost who sends you on a wild goose chase because he's deliberately giving false co-ordinates, rather than let him commit suicide or turn him in. I'm not even sure why; it just felt so much more satisfying for me to be the one to pull the trigger, and get away with it.

I came across a pack of ghouls once, i think it was in Fallout 3, and when i tried to ask them where they were going, they pretty much just brushed me aside and kept on jogging. I didn't like that disrespectful behaviour, so i shot them all dead. I didn't even demand for their stuff in speech; i just turned hostile purely in the way they interacted with me, much in the same way other NPCs may turn hostile against the player because they may say something offensive.

I murdered the ghouls who were looking to get into Tenpenny Tower because i didn't like their extremist human-hating attitudes. I did however leave the women alive.

I'm not entirely sure why, but i wiped out the entirety of Reiley's Rangers. It may have been for their armour, it may have been because i thought they were oh so self-righteous.

I killed the "vampire clan" who were trying to convince that kid from Arefu to join them, because honestly, fuck brainwashing cults like that.

I killed that woman Moriarity makes you get caps from at the start of Fallout 3 for being such a mouthy cow instead of just forking over the cash. Actually, i was going to kill Moriarity too, because i can't stand sleazy slimeballs like that, but fortunately for him i found the information needed on his PC and so i didn't bother going through with it.

I killed that squad of mercenaries outside Jacobstown because i can't stand people who shit all over others who are just trying to get by peacefully, whether they have anything against them or not. If they're armed, they're fair game.

Huh. Strangely enough most of my recollections come from Fallout 3 rather than New Vegas. I'm not sure if that's because NV was simply more forgettable, or whether that's because NPCs in NV didn't really 'deserve it' on the level that many NPCs in Fallout 3 did. That might actually be a testament to their character improvements more than anything. Looking at it, it also seems i tend to kill NPCs that i personally view as distasteful or outright evil based on my personal opinion, rather than killing indiscriminately. I suppose that should count for something.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
krazykidd said:

You don't want to be killing npcs in Dark Souls. Most of them are very useful to have around. I only killed one by accident (the merchant in the sewers). And it does affect the game depending on who you killed you can shut out areas, covenants, or content.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
In a word, YES.

Although, in games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, some NPCs are marked essential, and thereby cannot die.
WHICH RUINS ALL THE FUN OF IT.

If, in a sandbox, you want to ruin the main quest forever, they should give you a warning but still let you do it.

Devs, people who do that kind of thing have already seen all the content in your freakin' game.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
I NEVER attack NPC (on purpuse anyway). I might kill someone because my rocket misses and hits them, or my car slides too far around a courner and they die, then I am like "Oh, crap. Sorry!!", but never intentionally.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
krazykidd said:

Huh. When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant in games like Saint's Row 2 or Just Cause 2 - I was going to say yes. Holding up an old lady for 20 bucks (in SR2), taking her money, and then shooting her anyway is lots of fun for my beautiful, psychotic protagonist.

But in Fallout 3? Never. I might need them for a quest later.

Well, almost never. If I find any random wandering NPCs wearing Power Armor, I immediately stealth, sneak up, and stick a grenade in their pants (and steal all their worldly possessions). And then, once they're dead, I take their power armor and use it to fix mine.