Do You Like Anime? Write for The Escapist!

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
John Funk said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ouran High School Host Club
Death Note
Princess Mononoke
Too bad these are all relatively mainstream and/or not that good. The only potentially good dubbed of the listed could perhaps be DN, then again, a dub is a dub which is shit.

Good try, though. There are anime that aren't released in America (and probably never will be) that outdo all listed...except maybe TTGL. That was awesome.

If perhaps the selected anime were changed, I would consider it, but these are preliminaries, so it's really your game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tiut said:
John Funk said:
Death Note
Princess Mononoke
Too bad these are all relatively mainstream and/or not that good. The only potentially good dubbed of the listed could perhaps be DN, then again, a dub is a dub which is shit.

Good try, though. There are anime that aren't released in America (and probably never will be) that outdo all listed...except maybe TTGL. That was awesome.
Yes, of course they're all mainstream. The purpose of these is to establish a standard, and pick a series of titles where MOST anime fans will be familiar with at least two of the four. So they can't be very obscure things.

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
And then, of course, work our way into more obscure titles so that the viewers don't feel like they're watching the same thing over and over again?

Oh wait, that's accredited to the dubbing, not the anime itself. >_>

ITT: People rage about how they can't participate in a contest because of where they live in the world when doing so has no affect on the decision of topic starter because he has countless reiterated the reason why their complaints won't be answered.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
lordlee said:
John Funk said:
Tiut said:
John Funk said:
Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Yes, of course they're all mainstream. The purpose of these is to establish a standard, and pick a series of titles where MOST anime fans will be familiar with at least two of the four. So they can't be very obscure things.
Come to think of it, has there been a review of Baccano! yet? The boxset came out recently.
Yep! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime/6404-Anime-Review-Baccano]

Tiut said:
And then, of course, work our way into more obscure titles so that the viewers don't feel like they're watching the same thing over and over again?

Oh wait, that's accredited to the dubbing, not the anime itself. >_>
Again, we only do things with commercial releases in the States, since the Escapist maintains a very firm anti-piracy stance. But if you check out our Reviews Archive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime] you'll find that we cover a lot of the lesser-known stuff (that's released over here), too.

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
lordlee said:
>implying that TTGL is better than Princess Mononoke
BEST BE TROLLING!
>Implying it isn't

I suppose you also saw all of the Miyazaki films and thought they were the best thing to grace the earth?

Stabby McRunfast

Oct 23, 2009
I meet all the requirements but my schedule is so damn full that I would be worried about missing deadlines. Damn previous commitments.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Furburt said:
I would love to, but I fear I don't love it enough to be considered.

And I'm not American.
Exactly this. My knowledge of anime extends as far reaching as Lucky Star and Rosario + Vampire (which is bordering on soft-core hentai, watch it and you'll see what I mean)
Lucky Star is so fucking funny. I love that show. It along with Haruhi were shows I watched thinking they'd suck and I'd just watch them for a quick laugh but no, no. Both ended up being totally bad ass.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Skizle said:
I think I will give this a shot. Doesn't hurt to try right?
My thoughts as well. Might get some free anime (then again I watch it all online in Japanese anyway so that's not really changing much).

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Tiut said:
lordlee said:
>implying that TTGL is better than Princess Mononoke
BEST BE TROLLING!
>Implying it isn't

I suppose you also saw all of the Miyazaki films and thought they were the best thing to grace the earth?
maybe not best, top 5 probably.

OT; Ahh TTGL and Princess Mononoke I could've reviewed them. Knew should've arranged to born in America

Cool to see the Anime reviews are getting more investment form the escapist, not suggest a lack of interest before it'd just nice to see it getting improved.

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
lordlee said:
Of course not. That's Baccano!

I do like TTGL, and in fact put it above a number of Miyaki's titles. It's just not anywhere near Princess Mononoke.
Baccano! was good, albeit, but not the best. It was much more creative than said GiantRobotAnime, but even Baccano! fell short towards the end, especially with the introduction of useless characters. The plot was very incoherent until the end where they tied it all together rather quickly, and it was just BORING how there were more immortals than people who could actually die. Immortal characters don't give the viewer the sense that he could ever lose that character, and so thus, the feeling for that character feels watered down. RailTracer and Ladd were influential characters by what they said and how they acted, but also because that the watcher felt that they could genuinely die at any moment's notice.

Baccano! was good but certainly not the best. My favorite happens to be not in America, and probably never will be.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
snowman6251 said:
Lucky Star is so fucking funny. I love that show. It along with Haruhi were shows I watched thinking they'd suck and I'd just watch them for a quick laugh but no, no. Both ended up being totally bad ass.
Agreed on that. I've been meaning to watch an episode of Haruhi but I can't seem to find the time to do so

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Tch why do you hate my britishness so. I could write beautiful things!
BEAUTIFUL.

Alas.

Okay drama over, lets see who comes out on top of the writing of ye' olde Anime reviews.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I was excited until I got to the age restriction. *Sigh* I think I'd be pretty good at this, too.